You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Potential Deviations in Player Account Totals

edited April 2017 in Poker Chat
It has come to my attention that the total in some players accounts may not be the same as the underlying system values it to be sometimes resulting in discrepancies between the amount we think we should have and the actual amount. I for example have had a couple of experiences recently where I have made profit in a session and ended up with less money in my account than that which I started with.

My advice would be to screenshot your account total at the beginning and end of each session in case you need to upload these to support. They will not listen to you unless you have a screenshot of the amount you began the session with.

So beware, especially if you are playing mid/high stakes games as I'd hate you to lose out undeservedly.

Please be aware that this is not criticism of the site but just a note to players to consider.

Comments

• edited April 2017
    that's a pretty crazy accusation.....

I've been playing here years & never had any problem like this & never heard anyone even mention this before
  • edited April 2017
    I get this all the time, it is simply the balance is slow to update.

I find on the client, go to 'my account', click a couple of pages and then come out and that often gives you the correct total.

Alternatively, what I do, is have skybet open and just refresh balance and this is always accurate
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Potential Deviations in Player Account Totals:
    that's a pretty crazy accusation..... I've been playing here years & never had any problem like this & never heard anyone even mention this before
    Posted by goldnballz
    I'm not trying to demonise Sky Poker. I love playing on this site..but this is my experience.
  • edited April 2017
    I get this all the time, it is simply the balance is slow to update. I find on the client, go to 'my account', click a couple of pages and then come out and that often gives you the correct total. Alternatively, what I do, is have skybet open and just refresh balance and this is always accurate
    Posted by MrWh1te
    Yes, unfortunately it is not the temporary account lag I am talking about. I have had that as well and it is not an issue. The problem I have had is that my account has been a certain amount, then I play my session, and then my money is less than what I had in the first place despite making a profit. It didn't update or refresh. I took it to customer services and the amount they had for my account was different even though I have been keeping a session by session, day by day record.

It has happened twice in the past week and means that effectively nearly a quarter of my sessions that should have been profitable were instead losses. Now, perhaps the amount Sky had on my account is accurate (I don't think it was) but then at the very least the amount on their display and what it shows me is not the same. 

It's one thing at micro-stakes but I was about to move up to the next stake level and now I feel jittery about doing that as, if the problem were to continue, I could lose more money.

Needless to say, i'll be doing screen shots before and after each individual session now as well as one of the sessions results each session. I hope that will be enough to get the issue resolved otherwise i'll probably move to a different poker site if it keeps happening and I can't get the money back.

• edited April 2017
    If this was happening to a lot of players do you not think widespread concerns would of been raised by now?

Do you have auto top up on? Is it a case where you have left the table with more than the amount you sat with at the start but you had toppped up during the session?
  • edited April 2017
    If this was happening to a lot of players do you not think widespread concerns would of been raised by now? Do you have auto top up on? Is it a case where you have left the table with more than the amount you sat with at the start but you had toppped up during the session?
    Posted by MattBates
    Just a bit. Poker players end to be mistrustful, & if this ever happened we'd see threads galore. There has never once been a thread suggesting this prior to now.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Potential Deviations in Player Account Totals:
    It has come to my attention that the total in some players accounts may not be the same as the underlying system values it to be sometimes resulting in discrepancies between the amount we think we should have and the actual amount. I for example have had a couple of experiences recently where I have made profit in a session and ended up with less money in my account than that which I started with. My advice would be to screenshot your account total at the beginning and end of each session in case you need to upload these to support. They will not listen to you unless you have a screenshot of the amount you began the session with. So beware, especially if you are playing mid/high stakes games as I'd hate you to lose out undeservedly. Please be aware that this is not criticism of the site but just a note to players to consider.
    Posted by PkDevil
    Hi PK,

I know your post is well-intended, & you are not trolling or wearing a tin hat, but in my experience, this is simply not possible

We see every complaint imaginable on this Forum, some of them eye-wateringly trivial, but I've yet to see (or personally experience, & I've played a LOT of poker here) ) one single example of incorrect player balance. I cant even begin to imagine how it would be possible.

Also......taking a "before & after" screenshot of your balance to "prove" it to CC does not help the case at all - CC/Support don't NEED a screenshot (which, of course, could be photoshopped) all they have to do is log in & look at your Account. What they see is what it is, no more, no less.
  • edited April 2017

My advice to those who may have been spooked by this thread;

Player balances in "real time" are invariably lagging behind & do not accurately reflect your real time balance.

All you need to do is wait until your session ends, & then log out, & immediately log back in again. When you log back in again, the balance shown will be correct.

If you wish to query your balance with CC, fine, no problem, but don't bother with "before & after" screenshots, as they don't need them - they can see everything about anyone's Account simply by logging in, & screenshots are not credible evidence. 

Any further questions from anyone (PK included) fire away, & I'll try & answer. There is clearly some sort of misunderstanding here.  

• edited April 2017
    This seems odd. I watch my balance like a hawk and have played many games and no issues in this regard.

Can you isolate this to any particular game type, ie is it just during cash games?

Could it possibly be something to do with rake coming out of winnings on cash? Im puzzled to be honest.

Anyhow hope you solve the mystery and continue to enjoy playing on Sky.

Ger (what a lovely sunny day it is today!)
  • edited April 2017
    This seems odd. I watch my balance like a hawk and have played many games and no issues in this regard. Can you isolate this to any particular game type, ie is it just during cash games? Could it possibly be something to do with rake coming out of winnings on cash? Im puzzled to be honest. Anyhow hope you solve the mystery and continue to enjoy playing on Sky. Ger (what a lovely sunny day it is today!)
    Posted by gerardirl
    Agree entirely with that, Ger.

I've never seen a single complaint of this nature before.

Sample size makes it meaningless, but until recently, I think I played almost every night here for 4 years, & always checked my "before & after" balance meticulously, & it was never once incorrect.

There's some sort of misunderstanding going off here I suspect. Can you imagine the hoohah on the Forum if player balances were incorrect? Yikes, does not bear thinking about.  
  • edited April 2017
    I keep a spreadsheet of all the games I play in real time. I am able to check that my spreadsheet balance agrees with my Sky account balance. I do this during play and always at the end of a session. On the odd occasion that it hasn't balanced it is because I have made an incorrect entry into my speadsheet (buy-in, winnings etc). I have always been able to reconcile the differences accurately. In 10 years of playing on Sky I have NEVER had any issues with the Sky account balance.
  • edited April 2017
    I keep a close eye on my balance and am quite used to it going down after every session.

Quite bizarrely my balance went up recently, I contacted Customer Care as I thought this was a glitch but was informed that this may be due to something called 'running good'. Needless to say it didn't last long and normal service has been resumed.

In all seriousness I'm pretty sure Sky Poker is as secure and legit as you can get and if there were anomalies I am pretty sure they would have been spotted by now.
  • edited April 2017
    I keep a spreadsheet of all the games I play in real time. I am able to check that my spreadsheet balance agrees with my Sky account balance. I do this during play and always at the end of a session. On the odd occasion that it hasn't balanced it is because I have made an incorrect entry into my speadsheet (buy-in, winnings etc). I have always been able to reconcile the differences accurately. In 10 years of playing on Sky I have NEVER had any issues with the Sky account balance.
    Posted by Dollie
    Same here Gordon.

I've played - literally - thousands of sessions here & my routine never changed - check the balance before & after. It's never been wrong once.

Like all online poker sites, Sky Poker has it's share of "high maintenance" Clients & haters, & they'd soon be on the case if there was an issue here.
  • edited April 2017
    I keep a close eye on my balance and am quite used to it going down after every session. Quite bizarrely my balance went up recently, I contacted Customer Care as I thought this was a glitch but was informed that this may be due to something called 'running good'. Needless to say it didn't last long and normal service has been resumed. In all seriousness I'm pretty sure Sky Poker is as secure an legit as you can get and if there were anomalies I am pretty sure they would have been spotted by now.
    Posted by Enut
    Ha, very good Tuney. How you doing, all OK?
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Potential Deviations in Player Account Totals : Ha, very good Tuney. How you doing, all OK?
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'm fine Tikay. Work and life getting in the way of poker at the moment but still playing a bit. Missing the PLO8 DYMs but playing one or two of the MTTs that seem to have replaced them. Doing averagely at them (which is good for me).

I hope you're OK after your recent 'blip' and maybe we'll clash heads on the tables again soon. Miss your forum updates too. Have the holdem DYM villains taken your bankroll yet?
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Potential Deviations in Player Account Totals : I'm fine Tikay. Work and life getting in the way of poker at the moment but still playing a bit. Missing the PLO8 DYMs but playing one or two of the MTTs that seem to have replaced them. Doing averagely at them (which is good for me). I hope you're OK after your recent 'blip' and maybe we'll clash heads on the tables again soon. Miss your forum updates too. Have the holdem DYM villains taken your bankroll yet?
    Posted by Enut
    Hi Tuney
    Hope you're well
  • edited April 2017
    If this was happening to a lot of players do you not think widespread concerns would of been raised by now? Do you have auto top up on? Is it a case where you have left the table with more than the amount you sat with at the start but you had toppped up during the session?
    Posted by MattBates
    I don't do cash games anymore. I do DYMs. I know the tendency is to go "the player is just stupid" but that's just unhelpful when they may genuinely be an issue.
  • edited April 2017
    My advice to those who may have been spooked by this thread; Player balances in "real time" are invariably lagging behind & do not accurately reflect your real time balance. All you need to do is wait until your session ends, & then log out, & immediately log back in again. When you log back in again, the balance shown will be correct. If you wish to query your balance with CC, fine, no problem, but don't bother with "before & after" screenshots, as they don't need them - they can see everything about anyone's Account simply by logging in, & screenshots are not credible evidence.  Any further questions from anyone (PK included) fire away, & I'll try & answer. There is clearly some sort of misunderstanding here.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    That's fine in principle TK but I refreshed, logged out, came back later. No change. It's happened twice. And whilst it is entirely possible that my own records are incorrect it's not as if I play a huge number of games that it would an easy mistake to make in working out totals (I try to focus on consistency instead of volume). Also, I contacted support and they asked for the screenshots that I prior suggested in this thread.

I'm not making it up. On more than one occasion I have started playing with an amount, won and ended up with less that no refresh nor log back in nor time fixed.

For the sake of keeping the peace I'm just going to flip the coin over and say it must have been me who made a mistake here....but I'm watching my account even closer than usual from this point forward.

• edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Potential Deviations in Player Account Totals : That's fine in principle TK but I refreshed, logged out, came back later. No change. It's happened twice. And whilst it is entirely possible that my own records are incorrect it's not as if I play a huge number of games that it would an easy mistake to make in working out totals (I try to focus on consistency instead of volume). Also, I contacted support and they asked for the screenshots that I prior suggested in this thread. I'm not making it up. On more than one occasion I have started playing with an amount, won and ended up with less that no refresh nor log back in nor time fixed. For the sake of keeping the peace I'm just going to flip the coin over and say it must have been me who made a mistake here....but I'm watching my account even closer than usual from this point forward.
    Posted by PkDevil
    I notice from Sharkscope that you seem to play a goodly number of DYM's every session.

Do you have a Sharkscope subscription? If so, it's a handy "double check" to check your DYM results after each session on Sharkscope.

DYM's are the LEAST likely to be wrong, or cause headaches with account balances, as the formula (double, minus Reg fee) is so simple.

When you encountered these errors, how were they corrected & what did Support give as the reason?

If I can help further (further?.....), just ask. 

Good luck.

• edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Potential Deviations in Player Account Totals : I'm fine Tikay. Work and life getting in the way of poker at the moment but still playing a bit. Missing the PLO8 DYMs but playing one or two of the MTTs that seem to have replaced them. Doing averagely at them (which is good for me). I hope you're OK after your recent 'blip' and maybe we'll clash heads on the tables again soon. Miss your forum updates too. Have the holdem DYM villains taken your bankroll yet?
    Posted by Enut
    Ha, they wish.

I was not exactly going great at the NLH DYM's prior to my little problem, which was a month ago tomorrow, but since then I've not played a single game of poker.

Hopefully, I'll be able to resume quite soon.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Potential Deviations in Player Account Totals : I don't do cash games anymore. I do DYMs. I know the tendency is to go "the player is just stupid" but that's just unhelpful when they may genuinely be an issue.
    Posted by PkDevil

I didn't say you were stupid just gave a potential explanation why you had an issue. I have never heard of this being an issue. I know of lots of players that keep their own records and reconcile back to account balance. Based on this I think you need to check details first rather than accuse sky of any wrongdoings.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Potential Deviations in Player Account Totals : I notice from Sharkscope that you seem to play a goodly number of DYM's every session.   Do you have a Sharkscope subscription? If so, it's a handy "double check" to check your DYM results after each session on Sharkscope.   DYM's are the LEAST likely to be wrong, or cause headaches with account balances, as the formula (double, minus Reg fee) is so simple. When you encountered these errors, how were they corrected & what did Support give as the reason? If I can help further (further?.....), just ask.  Good luck.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I use the free Sharkscope at the moment but may well upgrade in the near future. I play only 10 DYMs a session with a good hour or slightly more break between. There is not a huge volume of simple this is what you win, this is what you lose games to make for likely confusion (although of course anything is possible). Here is the situation:

I start my session with first game listed as 16:13:03 yesterday (07/04/17) and do 10 £0.28 DYMs finishing at 17:30:01. My account balance as per my records (and as recorded on my screen) was £282.43.

I win 6 and lose 4. That means assuming the rake has not changed that I win 6 x £0.22 (£1.32) and lose 4 x £0.28 (£1.12). £1.32 winnings - £1.12 loss = £0.20 profit for session. My account balance should now be £282.63 but instead it is £282.33 meaning instead of gaining £0.20, I have lost £0.30.

The account balance did not correct itself and I know it sounds trivial but it adds up. If this was at the £5 or £10 level that's a lot of money overtime bearing in mind this has happened twice to me this week alone.

Support were as good as useless. They basically went "you are wrong and we are right. Suck on it."

Now the problem doesn't seem to be the ins and outs of the account. I sent a screenshot of that and apparently it was the same. However, the amount they think I started with was different to the amount on my screen and in my records hence the deviation.

Now I'm quite happy to let it go on this occasion with such a small amount of money involved but I definitely will not let it go when those pence become £s....

it's just the principle that this sort of stuff can happen and Sky just want to go, nope, not us. Nothing ever goes wrong. We're great. Our software is completely flawless.

Come on guys. I think you're the best site around. Please don't prove me wrong.

• edited April 2017
    This is ridiculous
  • edited April 2017
    Definitely would not trust sharkscope especially at this level.Used to miss lots of games for me.

• edited April 2017
    Definitely would not trust sharkscope especially at this level.Used to miss lots of games for me.
    Posted by belsibub
    +1 

I got in touch with them about this and they did say they they do miss some games - More so on some sites than others
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Potential Deviations in Player Account Totals : I use the free Sharkscope at the moment but may well upgrade in the near future. I play only 10 DYMs a session with a good hour or slightly more break between. There is not a huge volume of simple this is what you win, this is what you lose games to make for likely confusion (although of course anything is possible). Here is the situation: I start my session with first game listed as 16:13:03 yesterday (07/04/17) and do 10 £0.28 DYMs finishing at 17:30:01. My account balance as per my records (and as recorded on my screen) was £282.43. I win 6 and lose 4. That means assuming the rake has not changed that I win 6 x £0.22 (£1.32) and lose 4 x £0.28 (£1.12). £1.32 winnings - £1.12 loss = £0.20 profit for session. My account balance should now be £282.63 but instead it is £282.33 meaning instead of gaining £0.20, I have lost £0.30. The account balance did not correct itself and I know it sounds trivial but it adds up. If this was at the £5 or £10 level that's a lot of money overtime bearing in mind this has happened twice to me this week alone. Support were as good as useless. They basically went "you are wrong and we are right. Suck on it."   Now the problem doesn't seem to be the ins and outs of the account. I sent a screenshot of that and apparently it was the same. However, the amount they think I started with was different to the amount on my screen and in my records hence the deviation. Now I'm quite happy to let it go on this occasion with such a small amount of money involved but I definitely will not let it go when those pence become £s.... it's just the principle that this sort of stuff can happen and Sky just want to go, nope, not us. Nothing ever goes wrong. We're great. Our software is completely flawless. Come on guys. I think you're the best site around. Please don't prove me wrong.
    Posted by PkDevil
    Just imagine the money if it was £10k DYMs
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Potential Deviations in Player Account Totals : I use the free Sharkscope at the moment but may well upgrade in the near future. I play only 10 DYMs a session with a good hour or slightly more break between. 
    Posted by PkDevil
    And this is why you are getting missing currency.

1) Sharkscope misses results from time to time as Stars have to collect the data themselves - This happens particularly with SNGs where it's harder to spot a missing game.
    2) Sharkscope converts everything to dollars, then back to pounds, so you get rounding errors. I've had sessions where I've played exclusively £5.50 DYMs and Sharkscope says I've won £23.17 at the end of it for that reason, which clearly isn't possible.

Sharkscope is handy, but it's not 100% reliable.

---

For what it's worth, if you play cash, cash hand history can be very neatly copied and pasted (a page at a time) into Excel, it'll format itself into the cells neatly when you paste, then you just have to sum all the profit/loss for each hand. You should find that it adds up to your total profit/loss for the session. Is time consuming but will hopefully convince you that all is well.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Potential Deviations in Player Account Totals : Just imagine the money if it was £10k DYMs
    Posted by MattBates
    How is that relevant to me?
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Potential Deviations in Player Account Totals : And this is why you are getting missing currency. 1) Sharkscope misses results from time to time as Stars have to collect the data themselves - This happens particularly with SNGs where it's harder to spot a missing game. 2) Sharkscope converts everything to dollars, then back to pounds, so you get rounding errors. I've had sessions where I've played exclusively £5.50 DYMs and Sharkscope says I've won £23.17 at the end of it for that reason, which clearly isn't possible. Sharkscope is handy, but it's not 100% reliable. --- For what it's worth, if you play cash, cash hand history can be very neatly copied and pasted (a page at a time) into Excel, it'll format itself into the cells neatly when you paste, then you just have to sum all the profit/loss for each hand. You should find that it adds up to your total profit/loss for the session. Is time consuming but will hopefully convince you that all is well.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    I did not say I used Sharkscope for keeping a record of my incomings and outgoings. I said I use Sharkscope. I use it to get an idea of other player's performances not for record keeping....And that is what I did Pingu....and it didn't add up.

• edited April 2017
    It's very easy for people to sit back and make sarcastic/numb-brained comments isn't it? I have my own records. The amount in my account matched the amount in my poker account when I began the session. I made a profit but instead I lost money. It has happened more than once.

I hope it happens to some of you and I will tell you how it must be your record keeping that is in error. How you must have added up your totals wrong. How it is just not possible. And you will see how infuriating it is.

As for this thread I am done. But before I go I want to make it clear that I am not accusing Sky of anything. There just appeared to be an issue and I wanted to have it looked into seriously and explained to me. The fact that has not happened says a lot.

Over and out.