You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Mini Challenge: Angmar v Arrogant

edited June 2017 in Poker Chat
I work mostly afternoons/evenings so probably will only play Wednesday and Sunday this week.

Played 7 quick micro tournaments this morn: won a 2.2 and 3rd in a 5.5 for combined profit of 30ish.

Must have got some bonus points or something from last week as had an extra 4 pounds in the account that hadn't won.

Challenge roll: 138.71

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Had a lot of fun in UKOPS last week and playing some higher buy-in games! However, the variance in games where you don't have much edge (if any) is going to be humongous, and being properly rolled for them is really important if you're playing these games regularly.

On the flip-side of the coin, in games where you do have a big edge (or at least think you do...) I think you can be more relaxed with bankroll management.

After the deposits and withdrawals of UKOPS I currently have £104.46 in my account and am going to do a mini challenge to try and spin it up!
    NB: this isn't my poker roll - definitely don't do this if you're not able to re-deposit. Probably just don't do this...

Until I reach 1k I'm going to stick to mostly 5.5 games and below with a few 11s thrown in too. Won't play many turbos at all. At 1k will add turbos.

And the controversial part: will play the 33 as well...
    People seem to moan about the abundance of bounty hunters in the schedule, but I think they're great. Short-term variance in mtts is huge and the bounty element reduces it quite a bit. I 100% wouldn't play the 33 in this challenge if it weren't a bounty hunter, but combined with the fact it has a better structure than a lot of games and only one runs per night (not like I'll be playing only 33s) I will just yolo it ;) If roll drops down too low will cut the 33 and 11s.

Disclaimer: Definitely don't do this! If it works, a lot of it will be down to positive variance (good luck) and failure chances are quite high as this is a pretty aggressive approach to game selection. This isn't my poker roll, just a little challenge. Always try to follow proper bankroll management where you can folks. Highly recommend Arrogant's thread - much better idea to follow and he's off to a great start!!
  • edited April 2017
      gl in the challenge 
  • edited April 2017
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Mini Challenge: from £104.46 to £1k to??:
    Good luck!
    Posted by markycash

Thank you sir

• edited April 2017
    Played a bizarre session yesterday evening.
    Normally like to play shorter sessions with lower volume and lots of focus on decision-making and putting people in awkward spots, but decided to try and speed things up with a long session and high table count.

First half went pretty well - won a 1r, second in the 5r and a few other small final tables.

Second half was a disaster ha! Genuinely think I won about 1/10 flips.

HOWEVER... I think it's really easy to just blame bad luck for everything all the time rather than taking responsibility. So in this case for me, playing a long session with too many tables will have undoubtedly made me miss lots of profitable spots. But no-one ever remembers those mistakes - far simpler to just blame variance instead ;)

Also, having said I wouldn't play too many turbos, last night was Turbo Night for Mini UKOPS haha! I'm pretty confident in my turbo game and icm spots but on Sky without antes, I'm completely off! Again, rather than blame the situation, I think you have to adapt to it and try to adjust your shoving/calling ranges to playing wihout antes.

Was also messing around experimenting with check-raising rivers, will maybe post some thoughts at a later point.

For now though, interested to hear how many tables everyone likes to play at once and why?

Glgl to everyone playing Mini UKOPS!!

Challenge roll: 94.66
  • edited April 2017
    Played a bizarre session yesterday evening. Normally like to play shorter sessions with lower volume and lots of focus on decision-making and putting people in awkward spots, but decided to try and speed things up with a long session and high table count. First half went pretty well - won a 1r, second in the 5r and a few other small final tables. Second half was a disaster ha! Genuinely think I won about 1/10 flips. HOWEVER... I think it's really easy to just blame bad luck for everything all the time rather than taking resposibility. So in this case for me, playing a long session with too many tables will have undoubtedly made me miss lots of profitable spots. But no-one ever remebers those mistakes - far simpler to just blame variance instead ;)Also, having said I wouldn't play too many turbos, last night was Turbo Night for Mini UKOPS haha! I'm pretty confident in my turbo game and icm spots but on Sky without antes, I'm completely off! Again, rather than blame the situation, I think you have to adapt to it and try to adjust your shoving/calling ranges to playing wihout antes. Was also messing around experimenting with check-raising rivers, will maybe post some thoughts at a later point. For now though, interested to hear how many tables everyone likes to play at once and why? Glgl to everyone playing Mini UKOPS!! Challenge roll: 94.66
    Posted by Angmar2626

Sensible observations like that won't get you far on the forum.

All the best with the quest.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Mini Challenge: from £104.46 to £1k to?? : Sensible observations like that won't get you far on the forum. All the best with the quest.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Thank you sir.

Ok I retract my previous statement. From now on when I win it's because I skilled it, and when I lose it's down to bad luck.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Mini Challenge: from £104.46 to £1k to?? : Thank you sir. Ok I retract my previous statement. From now on when I win it's because I skilled it, and when I lose it's down to bad luck.
    Posted by Angmar2626
    "And—which is more—you’ll be a poker player, my son"
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: Mini Challenge: from £104.46 to £1k to?? : "And—which is more—you’ll be a poker player, my son"
    Posted by Tikay10

<3

• edited May 2017
    Gl, what roll you at now?
  • edited May 2017
    I like to play 6 tables in a mix of mtts/sngs all holdem. Can mix in up to 2 hu games but prefer just to play 2 or 3 of those separately if possible because its very hard to follow the dynamics otherwise.

I think I could probably play 12 mtts at once but my screen resolution limits me to 6 - I cant handle the stacking of tables, i need them all tiled out. Playing more tables forces me to stop checking forums etc and trying to play every hand - I hate just having one or 2 tables loaded.
  • edited May 2017
    Gl, what roll you at now?
    Posted by Arrogant

OP confirmed busto!

As originally stated there was a very high chance this wouldn't work. Lots going on in 'real life' at the moment so can only really play one session per week. With that in mind, playing really low stakes would make any attempt at building up take painfully long as I can't put in any sort of volume. Moral of the story: stick to good bankroll management! :) As also originally stated, I think what you're doing at the moment is a much better way to go - updates??

Will continue this thread though as I have an idea for a more realistic challenge that fits in more with the small amount of time I can play at the moment.

How's your challenge going?

Edit: just searched you - flippin' heck! You're smashing it at the moment, great work!!
  • edited May 2017
    I like to play 6 tables in a mix of mtts/sngs all holdem. Can mix in up to 2 hu games but prefer just to play 2 or 3 of those separately if possible because its very hard to follow the dynamics otherwise. I think I could probably play 12 mtts at once but my screen resolution limits me to 6 - I cant handle the stacking of tables, i need them all tiled out. Playing more tables forces me to stop checking forums etc and trying to play every hand - I hate just having one or 2 tables loaded.
    Posted by jimb0d1

All on Sky?? Anything past 4 and I start to panic without timebanks ha! Agree re HU - takes up a lot of focus for one table - particuarly in MTT where you're normally playing for a huge payjump/the glory :)

Would you ever like to 1 table a deep MTT run? Or always add in sng etc?
  • edited May 2017

If you're looking for extra motivation in the near future I will happily take you on in a little mini challenge?

As said in a post above I can't play much at the moment so bankroll challenge not ideal for me. However, what I will be doing (and would be much more fun if a competitive element were added...) is trying to win (outright obvs) an MTT at every buy-in on Sky, starting from this point.

Let me know if I miss any:
    Freeroll
    1.1r
    2.2r
    3.3r
    5.5r
    22r

If you want to challenge against me in a 'first to make it' style, that would be most excellent. My advantage is that I'll be playing more of the different stakes than you at first. Your advantage is that you will presumably be playing massively more than me right now. And might give you extra motivation to close out your heads-ups :P 

Huge bragging rights at stake!

And I'll stop 3-betting 100% of your opens... maybe...

Over to you sir ;)
  • edited May 2017
    Sure Ill take the challenge but to finish within this year would prefer it be first to 15.Up to you if u wanna include 220 and 530 if one of us wins sats to these.
    Lets start this sunday?

• edited May 2017
    Sure Ill take the challenge but to finish within this year would prefer it be first to 15.Up to you if u wanna include 220 and 530 if one of us wins sats to these. Lets start this sunday?
    Posted by Arrogant

Excellent! Sunday sounds good.

Happy to do points. Do you want all wins to count as 1 point each regardless of buy-in or field size? I don't mind either way.

Yeah sure can include 220 and 530 if you like though I presume they only come around during UKOPS.

Have seen people copy and paste wins from lobby to the forum before - can do that after each win and add it to the tally?

Glgl!

• edited May 2017
    Sorry i should of been clearer,

You wanted to do a challenge first to win a tournament of every buyin on sky which if we add 220 and 530 to ur list totals 19 different tournaments.Imo it will take far too long to complete the set for either of us, which is why i said first to win 15 from the list.

Freeroll
    1.1r
    2.2r
    3.3r
    5.5r
    22r

Ive never pasted any lobbies on here but probably not too hard.There is always results updated from aussies site too i think which we can use as reference aswell.

A point system would favour me too much because it would just reward higher volume, so lets stick to who gets to 15 wins first but each win must be a different buy in from the list,starting this sunday.

Goodluck 

• edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Mini Challenge: Angmar v Arrogant:
    Sorry i should of been clearer, You wanted to do a challenge first to win a tournament of every buyin on sky which if we add 220 and 530 to ur list totals 19 different tournaments.Imo it will take far too long to complete the set for either of us, which is why i said first to win 15 from the list. Freeroll 0.55 1.1 2.2 3.3 1.1r 5.5 2.2r 7.7 3.3r 11 5.5r 22 33 55 22r 110 220 530 Ive never pasted any lobbies on here but probably not too hard.There is always results updated from aussies site too i think which we can use as reference aswell. A point system would favour me too much because it would just reward higher volume, so lets stick to who gets to 15 wins first but each win must be a different buy in from the list,starting this sunday. Goodluck 
    Posted by Arrogant
    Perfect!

See you Sunday ;)
  • edited May 2017
    This will be very intersting.I have played you both and i think it will be a very close contest..Good luck guys
  • edited May 2017
    This will be very intersting.I have played you both and i think it will be a very close contest..Good luck guys
    Posted by razorkev

tyty
  • edited May 2017
    lol smallest bi of the day 1.1r but a point is a point I suppose! gl

Angmar26262650001£36.30
  • edited May 2017
    Good start but not good enough, won a $5 yesterday and 1r today, think ive uploaded the screenshots right

• edited May 2017
    Good start but not good enough, won a $5 yesterday and 1r today, think ive uploaded the screenshots right
    Posted by Arrogant

Photos pending approval but I believe you! wp

2-1 to you

Played a short session yesterday afternoon and felt properly tilted for the first time in as long as I can remember. The game that caused it? Freeroll of course!! :) I know we're only playing first to 15 but I want to get a win at everything anyway so tried a couple of the afternoon Freerolls. Genuinely it could be the toughest one to tick off lol - 200 player Hyper Turbo where nobody folds ANYTHING preflop so you have zero fold equity... so so difficult!! Anyway made it HU in one of them - av stack 12bb and I bluff shoved river in a limped pot (so spr still well over 2) on KQxxA runout. Actually thought I could make him fold K lol and he snapped me with Q8. My mistake obvs as like I said, nobody is folding anything. Just the thought of having to battle through more of these 6bb av stack fests is not an appealing one, but it shall be done!

Not sure I can play this weekend as moving house and probably won't have wifi set up until next week. Hope you can get a sizable lead for me to chase! If you do, don't feel bad/go easy - I will still win this overall :P  Gl
  • edited May 2017
    Finally back with wifi set up so let's gogogo this eve!!

Having a break from poker has been good to be fair, and genuinely really excited to play a session tonight. Super Sunday or whatever it's called next week will be mega also!

Gl, hopefully see you at the tables if you're playing
  • edited May 2017
    ITM in the Reload, 33BH and Mini Main, hopefully can pull something off!

Gl if you're playing!
  • edited May 2017
    Won the Reload <3

4/12 remaining in the Mini Major
  • edited May 2017
    2nd in the mini - bad times for HU challenge lol
  • edited May 2017
    2-2 then?

Couldn't get a screenshot last night but it'll be on sharkscope etc.  Dno if it counts as a main event on Aussie's site?
  • edited May 2017
    Nice score, i won a £2 turbo last week to make it 3-2 but wud of much prefered to be in your shoes as it was worth just over £20 only.

About your experience with the freeroll, now you understand why i said first to 15.Some tournaments will probably take over a year to win.

Gl with the mega sunday tournament, ill try get in it.
  • edited May 2017
    3-2 to you then!

Yeah I see what you mean, and some games only run once a day or even once a week so going to get no sample at all even over a year.

Sunday will be fun - believe there's a £11 mini main also, which I'm sure we will both play!