You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Vegas (aftermath pending)

edited June 2017 in Poker Chat
I've previously toyed with the idea of doing a Vegas journal (diary, if you will), and with my next trip out there creeping up on the horizon, and future trips very much up in the air due to personal circumstances (in a positive way), this seems like a good time to crack on with it.

I'm far from a Vegas veteran a la Tikay, but this will be my 6th time to Sin City. It really is paradise for those of us who love, like, or tolerate the game. The analogy of a kid at Christmas is very apt indeed and the end of the month can't come round quick enough.

Whilst I'll be spending plenty of time gambling, its not all about the poker. A boys gotta eat and drink too :) So expect tales from the tables coupled with plenty of off felt stuff.

I've got 7 days and 7 nights, from the 29th, to cram in as much as possible, and I'll be reliant on my phone (and battery life) to do updates, so they could be sparse, rambling, inebriated, disjointed, or maybe massively tedious.

Will kick off with the journey there, which isn't particularly straightforward, but as always there is a method behind the madness.....

Comments

• edited May 2017
    pfft a tedious harry thread ;)
    ha , im really looking forward to this , have a great time mate and please tell all ,  nuts n bolts the lot
    gl on the felt brother
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Vegas (aftermath pending):
    I've previously toyed with the idea of doing a Vegas journal (diary, if you will), and with my next trip out there creeping up on the horizon, and future trips very much up in the air due to personal circumstances (in a positive way), this seems like a good time to crack on with it. I'm far from a Vegas veteran a la Tikay, but this will be my 6th time to Sin City. It really is paradise for those of us who love, like, or tolerate the game. The analogy of a kid at Christmas is very apt indeed and the end of the month can't come round quick enough. Whilst I'll be spending plenty of time gambling, its not all about the poker. A boys gotta eat and drink too :) So expect tales from the tables coupled with plenty of off felt stuff. I've got 7 days and 7 nights, from the 29th, to cram in as much as possible, and I'll be reliant on my phone (and battery life) to do updates, so they could be sparse, rambling, inebriated, disjointed, or maybe massively tedious. Will kick off with the journey there, which isn't particularly straightforward, but as always there is a method behind the madness.....
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    So do you always post from your phone then?

Have a good trip and don't let the poker get in the way of the poker.
  • edited May 2017
    Looking forward to this .

Just a guess but I imagine a certain bar in PH will get a mention or two ?

Have a great time not jealous at all I won't be there this year.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Vegas (aftermath pending):
    pfft a tedious harry thread ;) ha , im really looking forward to this , have a great time mate and please tell all ,  nuts n bolts the lot gl on the felt brother
    Posted by stokefc
    BIG   +1
  • edited May 2017
    Looking forward to this :)
    Best of Luck over there my good man.
  • edited May 2017
    I've previously toyed with the idea of doing a Vegas journal (diary, if you will), and with my next trip out there creeping up on the horizon, and future trips very much up in the air due to personal circumstances (in a positive way), this seems like a good time to crack on with it. I'm far from a Vegas veteran a la Tikay, but this will be my 6th time to Sin City. It really is paradise for those of us who love, like, or tolerate the game. The analogy of a kid at Christmas is very apt indeed and the end of the month can't come round quick enough. Whilst I'll be spending plenty of time gambling, its not all about the poker. A boys gotta eat and drink too :) So expect tales from the tables coupled with plenty of off felt stuff. I've got 7 days and 7 nights, from the 29th, to cram in as much as possible, and I'll be reliant on my phone (and battery life) to do updates, so they could be sparse, rambling, inebriated, disjointed, or maybe massively tedious. Will kick off with the journey there, which isn't particularly straightforward, but as always there is a method behind the madness.....
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    tales from the silver lobby.....
  • edited May 2017
    Will read with interest, best of luck.
  • edited May 2017
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Looking forward to this diary, should be a good one. Tip for you, take a charger, that should help with the battery :)

Shame you aren't out there the same time as us, would like to see what you are like in real life as you certainly divide opinion amongst the forum regulars!

Have a good time.

Cheers
    Greg.
  • edited May 2017

Let me guess - this will be his outbound journey.

Manchester - Dublin - Oslo - Paris CDG - London Heathrow - JFK New York - LAX Los Angeles - McCarron Las Vegas.

Takes 9 days, but saves £7. 

• edited May 2017
  • edited May 2017
    pfft a tedious harry thread ;) ha , im really looking forward to this , have a great time mate and please tell all ,  nuts n bolts the lot gl on the felt brother
    Posted by stokefc

Thank you Stoke, no filter with me as you know so plenty of nuts and bolts shall be incoming.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Vegas (aftermath pending) : So do you always post from your phone then? Have a good trip and don't let the poker get in the way of the poker.
    Posted by Phantom66

Ironically, I try to avoid posting from my phone as its always littered with mistakes, and we all hate the grammar police chirping up, right?

Look after yourself Phants.
  • edited May 2017
    Looking forward to this . Just a guess but I imagine a certain bar in PH will get a mention or two ? Have a great time not jealous at all I won't be there this year.
    Posted by day4eire76

Thats a wild stab in the dark Pat, but you may have guessed correctly.

Hopefully they won't stop us from leaving for not tipping enough this time....
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Vegas (aftermath pending) : BIG   +1
    Posted by MISTY4ME

Hard to reply to this properly so I'll just put a smiley :)
  • edited May 2017
    Looking forward to this :) Best of Luck over there my good man.
    Posted by tomgoodun

My hero :)

Perpare some celebratory Costa Rican coffee for when I come home with the lot.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Vegas (aftermath pending) : tales from the silver lobby.....
    Posted by HENDRIK62

Are you even bronze? Don't talk to me.
  • edited May 2017
    Will read with interest, best of luck.
    Posted by markycash

Thanks Mark.

As long as I don't leave my passport in a taxi it should be all gravy ;)
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Vegas (aftermath pending) : Ironically, I try to avoid posting from my phone as its always littered with mistakes, and we all hate the grammar police chirping up, right? Look after yourself Phants.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    it's :P

ty, u2
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Vegas (aftermath pending) : Looking forward to this diary, should be a good one. Tip for you, take a charger, that should help with the battery :) Shame you aren't out there the same time as us, would like to see what you are like in real life as you certainly divide opinion amongst the forum regulars! Have a good time. Cheers Greg.
    Posted by GREGSTER

Thanks Greg.

Who knows, maybe I'll fluke my way to a VLV final, bubble it, but then have someone drop out so I can take their place.

If you met me in real life, you'd be incredibly disappointed, plenty of people here can confirm this :)

Have a great time when you go, make sure you take the correct adapter!

• edited May 2017
    Let me guess - this will be his outbound journey. Manchester - Dublin - Oslo - Paris CDG - London Heathrow - JFK New York - LAX Lo Angeles - McCarron Las Vegas.   Takes 9 days, but saves £7.   
    Posted by Tikay10

I can confirm 3 of those airports are correct....
  • edited May 2017
    Why just fly straight to Vegas when you can do all manner of absurd itineraries?

As per the last post though, there is a method behind the madness. Within the last 2 years I somehow managed to get up to silver (go away Jimi) status with British Airways, this expires in September and its highly unlikely I'll ever reach those giddy silver heights again, so I/we wanted to maximise it whilst we could.

There are a range of benefits, including extra baggage, fast track security, business class check in and stuff like that, but the ones that we valued were the access to airport lounges and the advance seat selection. So the journey to Vegas begins in Copenhagen on the morning of Monday 29th May. From there we fly to Heathrow, then onwards to LAX (Los Angeles) before a connecting flight to Vegas, arriving around 8pm local time. The journey coming back is the same, though we'll be dropping the last leg back to Copenhagen and travelling home from London.

Like a lot of my posts on here, waiting around in airport terminals can get very tedious, but we can swerve the hustle and bustle and enjoy lounge access in Copenhagen, Heathrow and LA outbound and Las Vegas and LA inbound. Might as well make the most of that perk whilst I can :)

The free seat selection was also an important factor. British Airways are stingy in that respect; they don't let you reserve the emergency exit seats on long haul flights. However, they are in cahoots with American Airlines, and they most certainly do let you have the pick of seats. Not only that, but they have additional areas called 'main cabin extra', which are basically slightly wider (lucky for me) and have a much greater pitch (up to 38'' vs 31'' in normal economy). As we all know, every inch helps and that is even more true when stuck on a plane for 11 hours. We're essentially getting a premium economy seat for the price of an economy ticket.

So the bulk of the flights are with AA, its just the hop from Copenhagen to London with BA. I was fortunate enough to be able to reserve all seats for free, for myself and my friend, as a status passenger, the saving? If you booked these exact seats for the same journey, it would cost almost £600 for 2 people. Not to be sniffed at, no matter how much grief I receive from certain people ;) Considering the flights only cost £720 for 2 of us and we're getting £600s worth of extra space and comfort, plus 5 airport lounges, it all added up to a great package in my tight Yorkshire eyes.

How are we getting to Copenhagen? From Edinburgh of course! Good old Ryanair.

Thats probably enough aviation chat for one day, so I won't go into why we decided to fly via LAX instead of any number of other options including Chicago, Dallas, NY and Philly (I'll give you a clue, its to do with prolonging seat back TV availability)

FWIW, if you're ever considering a flight that is more complex than a bog standard return, google.com/flights website is a very useful tool and comes highly recommended.

• edited May 2017
    Good afternoon HHY.
    The very best of luck in Vegas, very much looking forward to your updates.
    All the best.
    Rainman215.
    P,S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @2.15 DEEPSTACK YET.

• edited May 2017
    Have a great Time H.

Looking forward to reading your exploits. Is there any chance you'll still be over there when the Sky lot arrive, you know passed out in a gutter somewhere?

Also any tips for good websites for sorting the flights out, so far NY followed by Vegas and then back to London looks like being the best part of £1,000 each for flights, is that reasonable? And no we don't really want five changes and a night in Kuala Lumpur!
  • edited May 2017
    Have a great Time H. Looking forward to reading your exploits. Is there any chance you'll still be over there when the Sky lot arrive, you know passed out in a gutter somewhere? Also any tips for good websites for sorting the flights out, so far NY followed by Vegas and then back to London looks like being the best part of £1,000 each for flights, is that reasonable? And no we don't really want five changes and a night in Kuala Lumpur!
    Posted by Enut
    If you are looking at flights...

Keep an eye out for American Airlines ones that are operated by British Airways. It usually tells you the aircraft and some of the AA ones are actually operated by BA and on Boeing 747's. They are not any more expensive in general but are a world apart on quality. On the way out last year I was on a bog standard AA flight, there were not even individual TV screens on one of the flights and on one of them the only food/beverages was a glass of Coke poured out of a large bottle.

On the way back we were on one of the B747 flights and had much more legroom, our own 'entertainment' consoles with games, TV series and loads of other stuff. There were also 4 toilets at the back and they brought round snacks and drinks almost as quick as you could eat them. It felt like 1st class on the way back on the 747 compared to the way out on the standard AA flight. There are loads of flights with AA which are operated by BA and use the 747's. Just keep an eye out for the aircraft type.
  • edited May 2017
    Have a great Time H. Looking forward to reading your exploits. Is there any chance you'll still be over there when the Sky lot arrive, you know passed out in a gutter somewhere? Also any tips for good websites for sorting the flights out, so far NY followed by Vegas and then back to London looks like being the best part of £1,000 each for flights, is that reasonable? And no we don't really want five changes and a night in Kuala Lumpur!
    Posted by Enut

£1000pp probably sounds about right all things considered (time of year, relatively late notice, very popular destinations), however if you wanna stick your dates down or PM me them I'm happy to have a mooch and see if we can shave some cash off that figure.

See you in the gutter.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Vegas (aftermath pending) : If you are looking at flights... Keep an eye out for American Airlines ones that are operated by British Airways. It usually tells you the aircraft and some of the AA ones are actually operated by BA and on Boeing 747's. They are not any more expensive in general but are a world apart on quality. On the way out last year I was on a bog standard AA flight, there were not even individual TV screens on one of the flights and on one of them the only food/beverages was a glass of Coke poured out of a large bottle. On the way back we were on one of the B747 flights and had much more legroom, our own 'entertainment' consoles with games, TV series and loads of other stuff. There were also 4 toilets at the back and they brought round snacks and drinks almost as quick as you could eat them. It felt like 1st class on the way back on the 747 compared to the way out on the standard AA flight. There are loads of flights with AA which are operated by BA and use the 747's. Just keep an eye out for the aircraft type.
    Posted by markycash

I kinda agree wholeheartedly with this whilst also disagreeing haha

Basically, you need to avoid AA's B767 aircraft; they have done the rounds and still use drop down aisle TVs (sadly I know this from experience having flown on one from Dublin to Chicago, twas a long 8 hours!)

I think AA still operate those planes on some routes out of Manchester and Newcastle, not sure about London but would guess they have retired them from the capital.

I think British Airways have declined quickly in the last couple of years. BAs B747s will feel like luxury compared to AAs B767, but their reputation is heading south pretty fast.

Airline variance is a real thing, and a good flight can often be decided by how good and attentive the cabin crew are. Sounds like Mark had positive variance with BA coming back after suffering severe negative variance going out with AA!

I actually quite like Virgin Atlantic for heading across the pond.
  • edited May 2017
    Enjoying the thread Tikay? ;)
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Vegas (aftermath pending) : I kinda agree wholeheartedly with this whilst also disagreeing haha Basically, you need to avoid AA's B767 aircraft; they have done the rounds and still use drop down aisle TVs (sadly I know this from experience having flown on one from Dublin to Chicago, twas a long 8 hours!) I think AA still operate those planes on some routes out of Manchester and Newcastle, not sure about London but would guess they have retired them from the capital. I think British Airways have declined quickly in the last couple of years. BAs B747s will feel like luxury compared to AAs B767, but their reputation is heading south pretty fast. Airline variance is a real thing, and a good flight can often be decided by how good and attentive the cabin crew are. Sounds like Mark had positive variance with BA coming back after suffering severe negative variance going out with AA! I actually quite like Virgin Atlantic for heading across the pond.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    A lot will be down to variance for sure but I really thought the 747 was exceptional. I think it may have been re-fitted, not sure if they all have been re-fitted but the gadgets were all very up to date. The array of things you could do via the 'entertainment console' put anything I have experienced in the past firmly in the shade. For example you could watch the latest (or any) season of popular shows like The Walking Dead, choose from hundreds of films and documentaries etc. If TV wasn't your thing there were loads of games and if you were still bored you could explore the plane's route on the interactive map or look out the the cockpit windows via a stream sent to the console. Besides all that the food and beverages were great and there were plenty USB charging points.

I guess if I had flew on some of the more plush airlines I might have a different take on things but most flights I have been on have been either (a) short haul or (b) standard AA or US airways flights. Compared to those and the ones I have seen on offer I personally would snap take the 747 option. 

Are Virign the airline that do the Dreamliner? I have heard that is something else and probably puts the 747's in the shade. I also gather they are much faster although probably more expensive?
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Vegas (aftermath pending) : A lot will be down to variance for sure but I really thought the 747 was exceptional. I think it may have been re-fitted, not sure if they all have been re-fitted but the gadgets were all very up to date. The array of things you could do via the 'entertainment console' put anything I have experienced in the past firmly in the shade. For example you could watch the latest (or any) season of popular shows like The Walking Dead, choose from hundreds of films and documentaries etc. If TV wasn't your thing there were loads of games and if you were still bored you could explore the plane's route on the interactive map or look out the the cockpit windows via a stream sent to the console. Besides all that the food and beverages were great and there were plenty USB charging points. I guess if I had flew on some of the more plush airlines I might have a different take on things but most flights I have been on have been either (a) short haul or (b) standard AA or US airways flights. Compared to those and the ones I have seen on offer I personally would snap take the 747 option.  Are Virign the airline that do the Dreamliner? I have heard that is something else and probably puts the 747's in the shade. I also gather they are much faster although probably more expensive?
    Posted by markycash

Yeah you may well have had a refurbed BA 747. I've had reasonable flights on their 747s in the past but sometimes you end up with the ancient entertainment system, and of course its random if you get a decent crew or not. Their seat pitch isn't the most generous in the sky, not that my stumps need a lot of space.

Most major airlines have the Dreamliner on their books these days. I've only flown on one, to Bangkok, 3 years ago. The differences were subtle but good. Bigger windows were nice when watching the world go by.

Not sure if they go faster? They are lighter, more fuel efficient and have a very long radius; don't quote me on this but they can cover something like 9000 miles without refueling. When Qantas launch their direct London - Perth service next year, thats on the Dreamliner.

Thrilling stuff in the thread today.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Vegas (aftermath pending) : A lot will be down to variance for sure but I really thought the 747 was exceptional. I think it may have been re-fitted, not sure if they all have been re-fitted but the gadgets were all very up to date. The array of things you could do via the 'entertainment console' put anything I have experienced in the past firmly in the shade. For example you could watch the latest (or any) season of popular shows like The Walking Dead, choose from hundreds of films and documentaries etc. If TV wasn't your thing there were loads of games and if you were still bored you could explore the plane's route on the interactive map or look out the the cockpit windows via a stream sent to the console. Besides all that the food and beverages were great and there were plenty USB charging points. I guess if I had flew on some of the more plush airlines I might have a different take on things but most flights I have been on have been either (a) short haul or (b) standard AA or US airways flights. Compared to those and the ones I have seen on offer I personally would snap take the 747 option.  Are Virign the airline that do the Dreamliner? I have heard that is something else and probably puts the 747's in the shade. I also gather they are much faster although probably more expensive?
    Posted by markycash
    Virgin-Atlantic do have the 787, but they don't fly it to Vegas.

Better than a 747? In many ways, yes, but don't forget the 747 first entered service in 1970, whereas the  Dreamliner (Dreamliner = 787) only entered service in 2011, so they come from a different era. Most 747's still in service (BA are now the largest operator) have been re-fitted.

They are not any faster, or not significantly so. The purchase cost to the airlines is almost identical (list price = some $225 milly each), & I would not imagine there is much difference to the consumer in seat cost per mile. They are much cheaper for the airlines to operate though, as fuel burn is massively lower.

Here's some splurge on the Virgin-Atlantic 787;

http://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/virgin-experience/our-fleet/787.html