You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A bumpy landing in Vegas

edited July 2017 in Poker Chat

Evening all.

I'm in Vegas now until mid July. I know, I know, tough gig this.

Anyway, I'll be sending a few blogs across. Probably 1 or 2 a week until the Sky Poker players arrive, & then 1 each day, all being well.

In addition, I'll be sending Kirsty some photos from Vegas of various folks or places, some of whom you might be interested in.

Finally, I'll do a few threads on the Forum with various bits & bobs. Just little odds & ends of Vegas news & goss. It'll be a fascinating as a day at work with MattPrawn, or an Essexphil Diary entry.     

Comments

• edited June 2017

Worth remembering that Las Vegas is 8 hours BEHIND the UK.

So I'm posting this at 1.30pm, & it is 9.30pm back home.

• edited June 2017

The temperature right now? 104f.

At midnight last night, it was 92f

At 8am this morning, it was 89f.
  • edited June 2017

Despite those searing temperatures;

I played some Big O cash at The Rio on Friday night, & made the ultimate rookie error of wearing a t-Shirt but no hoodie.

After 3 hours, I had to quit, as I was shivering & trembling due to being freezing cold. The aircon in these places is amazing, but it don't 'arf get cold.

So if you have been fortunate enough to bag a Viva Las Vegas package, or plan to come over for the WSOP, bring a hoodie. Honestly, you cannot play without one.

• edited June 2017

Deffo not complaining, but Friday was a bad day.

When you travel to Vegas - or anywhere in he USA - you have to fill a Form in, provided by the Border Protection people.

Amongst other things, it asks how many US Dollars you are bringing into the country.

Here's some advice - ALWAYS tell the truth on these forms.

I had written down the exact sum I was carrying - & I do mean exact. I had x,000 USD, & wrote the exact number on my form.

I queued up in Immigration, had my fingerprints taken as usual, & was then waved through. (Everyone has to have their fingerprints taken each time they arrive in the USA).

Next, go to the carousel & collect my case. 

That's it, job done.

Or you'd THINK it was job done, but no, they have one more surprise in store......  

• edited June 2017

So I'm happy as Larry, pushing my luggage trolley towards the exit, & now I have one more barrier to pass through.

The man looks at my Border Protection form, & instead of taking it & waving me through, he sends me to the "Secondary Customs Area". You do NOT want to be invited into this room, trust me.

There was a huge queue I there, & it took me 3 hours before it was my turn to be grilled by the US version of Mr Nasty.

Do you know that you have to declare how much you are bringing in if it exceeds $10,000 USD?

(Yes, I did - but I never exceeded that sum).

Do you know that if you are 1 USD over the amount on the form, we can confiscate every cent?

(No, but I'm not fussed, as I have stated the exact & correct amount).

And so on.

Place all your cash on the table.

I do exactly that. I was tempted to take the Vincent Vega line in Pulp Fiction to Winston Wolf, "please would be nice" but I manage to resist. Don't mess with these boys.  

Now count it, & place it in piles of $1,000.

Okayyyyyy

After a while, I'm done, all my cash is laid out on the table in little piles. 

Now our man counts it. And reminds me....

If this is 1 cent over what you stated on the form, we will have the right to confiscate it all

Okayyyyy......

Eventually, he is done. The sum I am carrying is EXACTLY the amount I filled in on the form.

That's it, we are through

Thanks for that mate.

And I toddle off, 3 hours later than planned.

So be careful with these boys. It's not worth shooting your mouth off or getting cheeky.      
  • edited June 2017

Natalie & Adam Bromley are here already, but I've yet to bump into them.

Jeff Kimber & Joe Beevers are here, as a sort of twosome, & I will be seeing them in due course no doubt. Jeff wrote to me last night, & he's in good heart.

Patrick Leonard (Pleno) is here, & we plan to meet up in a day or so. 

Colossus is in full swing, & the place is heaving.

• edited June 2017
    have a great time mate and bring back more money than you went with glgl
  • edited June 2017

Sue & Dave Norsden (KidGrimsby & KidGirlGy) are (or were...) here, along with their son, Will, who was in the Redtooth Final. (He finished 9th).

I was due to meet up with them yesterday, as Dave & Sue had a gift for me, but it all went wrong. I met Gill off the plane (she arrived a day after me) & she was unwell, so I had to change my plans & do my duty by looking after her.

So I text Sue & Dave this morning to apologise for not hooking up yesterday as promised, & Dave replied - "we are on the way back to Blighty".

Whoops. I felt pretty bad about that, but it was unavoidable.

Anyway, if Sue & Dave are reading this, I hope you had a safe trip home.     

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: A bumpy landing in Vegas:
    have a great time mate and bring back more money than you went with glgl
    Posted by stokefc
    Ha, if only.
  • edited June 2017
    Good evening, morning or night (delete as approiate) Sir Tikay.  
    Do you realise you are missing the £2.20 @ 2.20 deepstack.
    All the best.
    Rainman215.
    p.s if you bump into Phil Ivey could you invite him to play the £2.20 @2.15 deepstack please.

• edited June 2017

Enjoy it bud .
  • edited June 2017

just an aside...

you're a good bloke, tikay.

as you were.

• edited June 2017
    Glad you got there safely Mr T.

That is one hell of a wait you had upon arrival...

Hope you can smash up some Big O cash games and a few MTT's but above all have an enjoyable time.

Cya sometime after the 9th July.
  • edited June 2017
    silent transatlantic wave tk (((((((((((       :)
  • edited June 2017
    Interseting/scary tales of US immigration.

Reading everyone's tales of horror/horrendous queues, we were very much expecting a nightmare on our first visit to Vegas/USA last October.

15 mins max & we were through.

Guess I run golden? :)
  • edited June 2017
    Have a great time.

Don't tell you know who, but I am going to try and join you, starting by increasing my volume from 25 points last month to a whole 100 points in a week to qualify for the Last Vegas FREEROLL.

• edited June 2017
    Have a great time in vegas gl all the sky players that have qualified 
  • edited June 2017
    Have a great time Tikay.  Are you allowed any lattes and sticky buns or is it strictly green tea and celery sticks?

Did you pack your Sunday best?

Really enjoy your updates from across the pond and look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

In the meantime, run well and have fun.

• edited June 2017
    A great atmospheric read as usual , bursting with  awesomeness.
  • edited June 2017
    Have a great time. Don't tell you know who, but I am going to try and join you, starting by increasing my volume from 25 points last month to a whole 100 points in a week to qualify for the Last Vegas FREEROLL.
    Posted by Phantom66
    If only Sky Poker had bothered to think it through, eh?
  • edited June 2017
    Tikay, delighted to hear your in Vegas and I really hope you enjoy your trip. As for the rocky start I think your poker traits of patience and dont bite came in handy , would expect nothing less of you :).

Lyn1965 was asking for you yesterday, she was not aware of your health situation and hopes your well enough to return to the dym tables sometime (bt in your own time).

Best of luck in Vegas and enjoy yourself.

Ger
  • edited June 2017
    Have a great time Tikay.  Are you allowed any lattes and sticky buns or is it strictly green tea and celery sticks? Did you pack your Sunday best? Really enjoy your updates from across the pond and look forward to seeing you in a few weeks. In the meantime, run well and have fun.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Well we don't want to bog down the Vegas updates with boring health stories, so in brief;

Those with heart problems have to manage 4 key risk factors;

1) Alcohol consumption needs to be moderate at best. Luckily, I don't drink alcohol, so that one is easy.

2) Daily exercise is a must. Yup, I walk a decent distance every day, usually 4 miles, & in my Rehab, they said my cardio recovery has been excellent.

3) Diet, & cholesterol. ("Bad" cholesterol is the problem, so-called "good cholesterol" is OK). Yup, lost a stone since the problem, & my diet is  generally better now. 

4) Ciggies. Not had one ciggie since the incident, have stone cold quit. 

So I reckon as I tick boxes 1), 2) & 4), I can relax when on holiday & eat sticky buns all day & all night.

As dear old Meat Load said, 3 out of 4 ain't bad, ohhh, 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Did I pack my Sunday best? Well if I do say so myself, when it comes to sartorial elegance I am truly magnificent, I am an inspiration to the yoof of today.   
  • edited June 2017
    Tikay, delighted to hear your in Vegas and I really hope you enjoy your trip. As for the rocky start I think your poker traits of patience and dont bite came in handy , would expect nothing less of you :). Lyn1965 was asking for you yesterday, she was not aware of your health situation and hopes your well enough to return to the dym tables sometime (bt in your own time). Best of luck in Vegas and enjoy yourself. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    Hi Ger,

Thanks mate. Can you thank Lyn from me, please, it is very kind of her. She is a lovely player & a genuinely nice person.

I needed to take a little break whilst I re-organised my lifestyle, the doctors were very clear I had no other option or it was GG time. I'm fine now though, & Ill be back playing Online once I get home from Vegas.

Whilst I have your attention, how are your family? And how is the bowling going? If you happen to "see" mmmchips, give him my best regards please.   

• edited June 2017
    Ha! Yes I will give him your regards. He drops in occasionally :).

Family is great thank you, hectic but great!

Bowling league is finished now for the summer break, no harm I need a break from it, we finished 6th (from 18 teams) so finished in the prizes which was great. Newbridge Town (football) won their league which Im VERY happy about so promoted to top league now (outside of League of Ireland).

Poker form a bit like the weather at the moment :D.

Now go to bed!!

Ger
  • edited June 2017
    Have a fantastic time Tony.
  • edited June 2017
    It sounds like a tough gig Tikay but I know your the man for the job try and enjoy yourself and keep the updates coming, will there be lots of pictures of scantilly dressed women like last year?
  • edited June 2017
    Hope you have a great time out there, looking forward to the excellent bloggage.
    Have you ' bumped' into the chunky maestro out there? I understand he is crushing the tables..and chairs.
  • edited June 2017
    Have a Fantastic Time Tikay10 and take care in the HEAT AND THE COLD I AM NOT A SUN WORSHIPER SO I WOULD BE IN TEAR,S IN THAT KIND OF HEAT,BRING ON THE COLD I WOULD NOT NEED A HOODY:):) MY SISTER IN LAW HAS ALWAYS SAID I COULD LIVE IN ICELAND X
  • edited June 2017
    Aw Mr K you are in Vegas, lucky you, I have mixed feelings about you not being here, a) i miss you but b) i love your blogs and posts etc.

As everyone has said, do take care, nothing to excess, and I mean nothing ;)

Have an absolutely fantastic time, run good on the tables, hope Gill is fully recovered. 

Hopefully see you in August

Missing you already

Mother
    xxxx