You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Are We Still On Track With The Download Client?

In previous months it had been announced that Sky would expect it's download client available by Feb / March. now obviously we are all but through with February but i was wondering if the technical team are still in line with Skys original prediction of March or have technical difficulties forced this to be set back?

And as were on the subject, I asked if the client would be compatible with PT3 or Holdem Manager a while ago. At the time of asking Sky Tech Bods were still unsure if this would be the case. Has there been any decisions taken on weather or not to make the client fit with these programs?

Cheers In Advance

Chris

Comments

• edited February 2010
    The sooner the better. I've given up tonight cos the lagging is shocking again. I wouldn't mind but I only had 2 tables running
  • edited February 2010
    dunno but the site is closing at 3am for `essential upgrades`. fingers crossed
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Are We Still On Track With The Download Client?:
    The sooner the better. I've given up tonight cos the lagging is shocking again. I wouldn't mind but I only had 2 tables running
    Posted by silentbob
    2 tables, you lucky swine lol - My laptop actually smokes, coughs and then the screen falls off if i run more than 1 (before people come on to tell me this is not skys fault but my laptops.... I know :)
  • edited February 2010
    Hey guys,

Let me do some more digging around the download and i'll update the thread once i have the info.

Thanks everyone.
  • edited February 2010
    Hi Guys,

ok, so i've had some news direct from the poker team...

there are still several things that need need tweaking/ polishing to ensure that the best possible product is delivered to you the customers.

as this is the case things are talking slightly longer than first envisaged. as i'm sure you can appreciate I (the poker team) can't be too specific with dates as we really don't want to raise excitement too much to then disappoint.

hopefully this won't affect your enjoyment of Sky Poker and you'll continue to embrace all that we have to offer right now (like this community) safe in the knowledge that a downloadable client is coming.

thanks for being patient on this one, we really do appreciate it.

Rich
  • edited February 2010
    Hi Guys, ok, so i've had some news direct from the poker team... there are still several things that need need tweaking/ polishing to ensure that the best possible product is delivered to you the customers. as this is the case things are talking slightly longer than first envisaged. as i'm sure you can appreciate I (the poker team) can't be too specific with dates as we really don't want to raise excitement too much to then disappoint. hopefully this won't affect your enjoyment of Sky Poker and you'll continue to embrace all that we have to offer right now (like this community) safe in the knowledge that a downloadable client is coming. thanks for being patient on this one, we really do appreciate it. Rich
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    Cheers for coming back quickly Rich. I understand the teams reluctance to give dates as the community at large will hold them to it lol

I'll take it from the response that we will be looking at a date past March for it's release but these things can't be helped i suppose
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Are We Still On Track With The Download Client? : Cheers for coming back quickly Rich. I understand the teams reluctance to give dates as the community at large will hold them to it lol I'll take it from the response that we will be looking at a date past March for it's release but these things can't be helped i suppose
    Posted by ACESOVER8s

how refreshing to see a post like this.

Thanks for being so understanding and patient Aces.
  • edited February 2010
    Can someone please tell me what the difference will be with a download client,what benefits etc. . i honestly don't know,only heard a lot about it on here.only ever played poker on here on-line.many thanks FIN..
  • edited February 2010
    Can someone please tell me what the difference will be with a download client,what benefits etc. . i honestly don't know,only heard a lot about it on here.only ever played poker on here on-line.many thanks FIN..
    Posted by FINS
    The current website based game (using Flash) is resource intensive and this means that many people playing with a lower specification PC experience problems when multi-tabling.
    We hope that the downloadable client will be (far) less resource intensive and will allow for a much smoother playing experience generally. Some of us are even more optimistic and hope that the DC will be more robust and less prone to serious problems when our internet connection experiences the slightest performance degradation.
    There are other side benefits (or what many people perceive as benefits) but these may not be present in the SkyPoker DC.
  • edited March 2010
    Posted by FINS
    I don't think there IS much difference to be honest. A lot of customers have had connection problems and say it is due to the Flash software, however myself and many others have had no problems at all, so it's difficult to say where the blame lies. From what i understand, the "new" download client will use Adobe Air technology which basically means the SAME Flash software but installed on the customer's PC rather than downloading it every time a game starts. This should help to reduce server load and therefore improve connection speeds. The other main benefits should be:

* Reduced memory/processor usage because the software would no longer have the overhead of the web browser.

* Client-side hand histories, player notes, settings, etc. These are currently not available due to security policies within web browsers that prevent scripts from accessing the hard drive (no need for me to explain what would happen if websites could access ANY file on your hard drive!). This would also reduce server load because personal settings would no longer need to be stored on the server and requested every time a game starts.

* Better fault finding. The software will be able to save log files which can be used to trace bugs and detect where an internet problem originated. This will help to pin point all the cheap and nasty internet packages but also verify any server or connection faults at SKY's end.

So generally speaking, there is no real benefit other than slightly improved performance. A lot of the customers who have had connection problems are expecting the download software to be a miracle cure but i have a sneaky suspicion that they will be very disappointed.

EDIT:
    SKY_RICH: The unordered list feature in the editor is not working correctly. Works fine in Preview, but not when saved to the forum.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Are We Still On Track With The Download Client? : I don't think there IS much difference to be honest. A lot of customers have had connection problems and say it is due to the Flash software, however myself and many others have had no problems at all, so it's difficult to say where the blame lies. From what i understand, the "new" download client will use Adobe Air technology which basically means the SAME Flash software but installed on the customer's PC rather than downloading it every time a game starts. This should help to reduce server load and therefore improve connection speeds. The other main benefits should be: * Reduced memory/processor usage because the software would no longer have the overhead of the web browser. * Client-side hand histories, player notes, settings, etc. These are currently not available due to security policies within web browsers that prevent scripts from accessing the hard drive (no need for me to explain what would happen if websites could access ANY file on your hard drive!). This would also reduce server load because personal settings would no longer need to be stored on the server and requested every time a game starts. * Better fault finding. The software will be able to save log files which can be used to trace bugs and detect where an internet problem originated. This will help to pin point all the cheap and nasty internet packages but also verify any server or connection faults at SKY's end. So generally speaking, there is no real benefit other than slightly improved performance. A lot of the customers who have had connection problems are expecting the download software to be a miracle cure but i have a sneaky suspicion that they will be very disappointed. EDIT: SKY_RICH: The unordered list feature in the editor is not working correctly. Works fine in Preview, but not when saved to the forum.
    Posted by FishingPhi

thanks for this. i'll look into it straight away
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks mere and fishingphi , much clearer now,