You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Folded pocket AK pre-flop. Am I a wimp?

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
It was my first ever primo. I was sitting roughly av. stacked, about half way through.

Raised 4x min with AK.

All-in came in against me with more chips against me.

Was I a wimp for folding?

Pretty sure I had two TP players at my table too. Gliterbabe defo and I think sharksbite is one.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Don't think I'm ever folding here, specially in a two way pot. If you have 2 callers then yes it's a fold..and Yes me and Sharky were 2 Total players.

GB
  • edited March 2010
    If you fold that 1 vs 1 then i think you seriously need to look at your game.Soz but true.dav
  • edited March 2010
    Don't think i could fold against 1 player, are you playing above your roll and  therefore scared to lose the buy in?
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Folded pocket AK pre-flop. Am I a wimp?:
    If you fold that 1 vs 1 then i think you seriously need to look at your game.Soz but true.dav
    Posted by dav1964
    this is an opinion and no where near the truth!

is there really any need for this dav? i know a stack of players who would fold AK in a BIG MTT, its not that bad a move, depends what table you are on and weather you are willing to race so early on in a big tournament, not that bad a fold if you feel they have big hand
  • edited March 2010
    How many big blinds did you have?
  • edited March 2010
    Bfish go on msn - im on rush
  • edited March 2010
    Posted by dav1964
    I agree dav, I think the bankroll may influencing this decision.

PS you always get one lol
  • edited March 2010
    torryboy, just to let you know i have now clicked "ignore torryboy"

so keep the snide remarks to your sen in the future cos i wont able to see them!!

over and out!!!!!!!
  • edited March 2010
    had it been a £5 buy in , you wouldnt have thought twice
  • edited March 2010
    buy in has nothing to do with it, AK is sooo over rated, against 22 you have to hit so if he dont wanna race with it then he dont have to no matter what the buy in! imo

folding kings and queens and AK is not a bad move, it takes a really good player to fold big hands like this, give the guy a break
  • edited March 2010
    buy in has nothing to do with it, AK is sooo over rated, against 22 you have to hit so if he dont wanna race with it then he dont have to no matter what the buy in! imo folding kings and queens and AK is not a bad move, it takes a really good player to fold big hands like this, give the guy a break
    Posted by webby234
    If you have enough BBs then folding AK is fine imo because you dont want to be in a 50 50... folding QQ i think only if the action allows you an opportunity to get away otherwise dont be afraid to get it all in with them... KK... never fold... ever, pre.
  • edited March 2010
    torryboy, just to let you know i have now clicked "ignore torryboy" so keep the snide remarks to your sen in the future cos i wont able to see them!! over and out!!!!!!!
    Posted by webby234
    At last
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Folded pocket AK pre-flop. Am I a wimp? : If you have enough BBs then folding AK is fine imo because you dont want to be in a 50 50... folding QQ i think only if the action allows you an opportunity to get away otherwise dont be afraid to get it all in with them... KK... never fold... ever, pre.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Agreed, it must always be player dependant  and stack dependant with AK looks massive against the loose maniac whos shoved the last 5 hands. But against a nit AK shrinks. If you have got chips and can afford to make the call, do it.l If your got 10bb you gotta get your money in.

Also when your shoving with AK you've got alot of fold equity, calling isnt always the best thing to do with it.
  • edited March 2010
    dont be results orientated webby... in this instance he was right... its -EV to fold KK though... and this was a live poker clip... could of picked up a read?
  • edited March 2010
    just saying blackfish that now and again, although not very often at all, folding kk is a possibility

ps: i have never folded KK yet
  • edited March 2010
    Posted by dav1964
    You're right.

My head is suitably hung. Only been playing 3 weeks though. I'll learn.

Brillaint site this, though.
  • edited March 2010
    just saying blackfish that now and again, although not very often at all, folding kk is a possibility ps: i have never folded KK yet
    Posted by webby234
    I've never folded  Q Q
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Folded pocket AK pre-flop. Am I a wimp? : You're right. My head is suitably hung. Only been playing 3 weeks though. I'll learn. Brillaint site this, though.
    Posted by bandini
    bandini hes not right

i guarantee you mate 100% he is not right, folding AK in a BIG MTT is not a big deal, ealry on if some comes over the top of your raise with a big all in then there is nothing bad about folding, calling could be classed as a good move and so could folding, its one of those situations that i wouldnt criticise any majorly, although i dont think i could put my tournament on the line with just AK at the start of a big MTT
  • edited March 2010
    whayyyy forum fight,,, love itttttt!

i think folding ak is fine, depending on how many Bb's you have left, otherwise you can easily just wait for a better situation,

Murray's opinion over and out :)
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Folded pocket AK pre-flop. Am I a wimp?:
    It was my first ever primo. I was sitting roughly av. stacked, about half way through. Raised 4x min with AK. All-in came in against me with more chips against me. Was I a wimp for folding? Pretty sure I had two TP players at my table too. Gliterbabe defo and I think sharksbite is one.
    Posted by bandini
    Hi bandini......welcome to the mad house!..

If you look in AREA51, there is a thread all about AK. There is some good advice on it and is worth a read.

Good luck at the tables   :)
  • edited March 2010
    i agree with webby on this....on occasion folding AK in a MTT is fine depending on the player,chipstacks and stage of the tourny.

i really dont see why anyone should get stick for it, i folded ak the other day in a MTT after someone pushed all in other the top of my raise..the person was the only guy on the table who could do damage to my chipstack and had been playing tight but aggresive with strong hands turned out he had QQ i still dont see it as a bad fold as we would of been in a race. 

i think it all depends on your read on the player and how many BBs you have. just my opinion and obviously everyone plays differently 

rob
  • edited March 2010
    ive been thinking of adding the fold ak pre flop 2 my game, i dont play many torns but when i look back over my monthly games ak seems 2 be getting me into alot of trouble, and some lack of luck lol... id have called in this situation tho but each 2 there own
  • edited March 2010

Imo you can't fold here. Obviously you want to go through a tournament without taking flips but this is a certain situation where you pretty much have to. You can guarantee other way round and you jam with JJ he will snap you off and probably hit :)

• edited March 2010
    i agree with webby on this....on occasion folding AK in a MTT is fine depending on the player,chipstacks and stage of the tourny. i really dont see why anyone should get stick for it, i folded ak the other day in a MTT after someone pushed all in other the top of my raise..the person was the only guy on the table who could do damage to my chipstack and had been playing tight but aggresive with strong hands turned out he had QQ i still dont see it as a bad fold as we would of been in a race.  i think it all depends on your read on the player and how many BBs you have. just my opinion and obviously everyone plays differently    rob
    Posted by robc
    closer to a 60 40 than a 50 50 with QQ v AK as well...
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Folded pocket AK pre-flop. Am I a wimp? : dav whats your problem, i am offering a new player some advice and you decide to make these absurd comments, no need for you to react like this at all, maybe its the beer talking but your way out of line and you clearly cant fold AK, imo you should be banned, i never once said a word to you just told the player that you was not right on this occasion. why you feel the need to make these comments is just a joke, and i hope action is taken
    Posted by webby234
    Ok mate i was out of order for insulting you in this way BUT you have a habit of reacting like this as well REMEMBER? No it was not any beer so i have to take the blame myself.And your question of my problem?easy it is you .You constantly come on to my posts and try to belittle any opinions that i have.dav
  • edited March 2010
    was nothing to do with you dav, read my posts again, i was offering the poster some good advice and most have agreed with me on this occasion, not very often i am right but time i think i was and thats why i posted my opinion so strongly
  • edited March 2010
    AK ,the most over-rated hand in poker,and is as likely to lose as A2,and often i get it beat by AQ AJ and especially for some reason A4,unless u know ur oppo could be at it,foldings a fair decision imo..especially early on,late in tourney tho pretty much instacall,unless again u think ur oppos got AA.
  • edited March 2010
    AK ,the most over-rated hand in poker,and is as likely to lose as A2,and often i get it beat by AQ AJ and especially for some reason A4,unless u know ur oppo could be at it,foldings a fair decision imo..especially early on,late in tourney tho pretty much instacall,unless again u think ur oppos got AA.
    Posted by philmenow
    AK is less likely to lose than A2, AQ, AJ and A4... it's not overrated... it's one of the best starting hands in holdem you can get!
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Folded pocket AK pre-flop. Am I a wimp? : AK is less likely to lose than A2, AQ, AJ and A4... it's not overrated... it's one of the best starting hands in holdem you can get!
    Posted by BlackFish3
    its also a dreaded hand, there are times when i have been in a really tough spot with AK and abolsutely hate the situation at as got me into