You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Folded pocket AK pre-flop. Am I a wimp?

2»

Comments

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Folded pocket AK pre-flop. Am I a wimp?:
    In Response to Re: Folded pocket AK pre-flop. Am I a wimp? : AK is less likely to lose than A2, AQ, AJ and A4... it's not overrated... it's one of the best starting hands in holdem you can get!
    Posted by BlackFish3
    ok maybe i was under-rating it a little,but it is over-rated,it is A high with a K kicker,it is not a made hand ,unlike 22,yes it has massif potential..but it is beaten..OFTEN..by much lesser hands..so i dont think it is a hand i particularly want to risk my tourney life on early,altho i have done and will probly continue to do...
  • edited March 2010
    AK is overrated, how many times do you see someone shove a flop with AK when they haven't hit and lose, too many people think 'omg I have AK, ALL IN despite what the flop shows'. I don't like calling an all in with AK early on because you can find a better spot. Obviously if your sat there with 15 BBs or under AK is auto all in unless you get the tightest player ever shoving in front of you or 2 all ins or w/e.
  • edited March 2010
    well each to their own i suppose and everyone is gonna play the hand how they see fit.me 1 vs 1 i will call or shove if neccessary any stage of a tourny.i mean omg you can buy into another tourny cant ya? ok if it is a massive buy in tourny than yes sure find a better spot but i dont see many folds 1 vs 1 in any of the televised tournys on sky 865.Not at any stage.dav
  • edited March 2010
    webby, i didnt say you have to play ak everytime , there areplenty of occasions where it should be put down pre flop. ( have put down kk on more than 1 occasion preflop)3 all ins before me mind!!! but against 1 player you cant play scared. 1 minute you say the buy in makes no difference and the next minute your talking about it being in a big tourny. its only a big tourny because of the amount of money you put in. primo or not if the br allows you to make those calls without batting an eyelid then do it. all comes down to attitude, do you see it as losing big or doubling up and going further in the tourny. (glass half full or half empty)
  • edited March 2010
    pod if i got sponsored into the WSOP and a £5.50 on sky poker, i am saying i would think about it just a little bit more lol

AK is the most annoying of hands some time and the best at other stages, its all about how you feel on the felt
  • edited March 2010
    i agree with webby on this....on occasion folding AK in a MTT is fine depending on the player,chipstacks and stage of the tourny. i really dont see why anyone should get stick for it, i folded ak the other day in a MTT after someone pushed all in other the top of my raise..the person was the only guy on the table who could do damage to my chipstack and had been playing tight but aggresive with strong hands turned out he had QQ i still dont see it as a bad fold as we would of been in a race.  i think it all depends on your read on the player and how many BBs you have. just my opinion and obviously everyone plays differently    rob
    Posted by robc
    i did this but the other way round i had qq it was about mid tourny,average stack ,mid poss.utg shoves a very good player a tper infact hes got me well covered,and i,m thinking whats he got,anyway i fold and tell him what i had he types g/f :) i type damn n he tells me he had ak,i was thinking throughout the tourny if i did the right thing.i would obviously call if i knew what he had i just thought he had aa n it was the right fold at the time
  • edited March 2010
    Nowt wrong with a fold here. Nobody else on the table knew what you folded. If the other guy knows about the gap concept, folding is the correct play over time.
  • edited March 2010
    do agree webby it is feel. i to have lost more hands than i have won with ak, on the other hand the ones i have doubled up on i have gone on to win more money.everyone has a different range they will call with, and for me ak against 1 opponent ( other factors taken into account) i call every time. poker would be boring if we all played the same
  • edited March 2010
    In my experience, you ALWAYS call with ANY ace Pod...lol ;-)
  • edited March 2010
    like i say annie, its feel( and how much red wine) lol
  • edited March 2010
    as a new player playing in a big tourney you with respect would be in the worst 20% of a primo fiel
    you need chips in your position im never folding ak there

gd lk
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Folded pocket AK pre-flop. Am I a wimp? : bandini hes not right i guarantee you mate 100% he is not right, folding AK in a BIG MTT is not a big deal, ealry on if some comes over the top of your raise with a big all in then there is nothing bad about folding, calling could be classed as a good move and so could folding, its one of those situations that i wouldnt criticise any majorly, although i dont think i could put my tournament on the line with just AK at the start of a big MTT
    Posted by webby234
    Agreed!
  • edited March 2010
    and here is when i SHOULD HAVE folded KK. In a satellite with 31 left and 26 to qualify.
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay?:
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : The blinds were 400/800 and I actually had 7615 chips with 15 players below me. He raised 4*BB. I shoved (!!!!), thinking double up and relax. He called me with AA and I was out iin 30th. I have never considered folding KK but I did think about it as the time bar went down.
    Posted by Seagull158

Ugh.

So you had 9 x BB, but there were 15 players with less, & you were 4 or 5 off the seat?

It's quite a close one actually, but it's still a fold. In fact even AA is probably a fold there.

When playing Super Sats you have to use a completely different mindset to "normal" Tourney poker. In this case, your target was to finish in the top 26.

The default play there, every single time, is to Pass, but I can understand your play, as your stack was gettting close to "marginal".

Let the others do the work. Sit-Out.

Very unlucky though.

• edited March 2010
    Snap Call... always next Sunday :D
  • edited March 2010
    the way i read it seagull this was the main event not a satillite, so the mindset is to win it. call and double i say
  • edited March 2010
    the way i read it seagull this was the main event not a satillite, so the mindset is to win it. call and double i say
    Posted by pod1
    In one or two of the posts it was commented that the players involved have never folded KK and never would. I was pointing out a situation when it would be the best play.
  • edited March 2010
    soz, me being dumb, i said i have folded kk but only to 3 allins before hand. thought you were on about primo hand

• edited March 2010
    soz, me being dumb, i said i have folded kk but only to 3 allins before hand. thought you were on about primo hand
    Posted by pod1
    No Problemo
  • edited March 2010
    from what iv watched and learnt, over my very short ,low level, poker career,lol..is that the really top class players are able to put down their big hands when they need to,whereas the vast majoriy of online poker players have a real problem mukking such a gr8 looking hand(and much worse 1s)..they see AK and think,heres a winner,and when they lose to 22 or any old rags ,they just cant believe its been beaten...