You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Pretending to be "away"

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
I have just come out of a DYM £11 buy in, where two players pretended to be away on several occasions and waited until people had made their move then suddenly became active when it was their turn.

I feel this is totally wrong, but what do you all think ??

1st guy doing this went out 1st, but the 2nd guy went on to knock out the two other people fair enough i cashed, but he was away when the 2nd player to leave was short stacked and went all in to a guys bb who was "away".

so ultimately is this against the rules or just bad etiquette ??

Comments

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Pretending to be "away":
    I have just come out of a DYM £11 buy in, where two players pretended to be away on several occasions and waited until people had made their move then suddenly became active when it was their turn. I feel this is totally wrong, but what do you all think ?? 1st guy doing this went out 1st, but the 2nd guy went on to knock out the two other people fair enough i cashed, but he was away when the 2nd player to leave was short stacked and went all in to a guys bb who was "away". so ultimately is this against the rules or just bad etiquette ??
    Posted by Darlomike
    If you read the thread "Players who sit out" you will see lots of discussion on this topic. Ths short answer is that any player has the right to sit out whenever he wants. However, I tend to agree that the particular practise you refer to, where a player appears to be away until it is his turn to bet and then suddenly becomes active, is a little bit shady. I don't know whether this practise is possible in live poker but i suspect it is.
  • edited March 2010
    i mean i understand that players have the right to sit out/ be away... but to sit out on purpose to catch the shortys etc, i just felt it was quite wrong to say the least.

you got the link to that thread ? because i'd like a read.
  • edited March 2010
    if you think it's a good tactic then why dont you try using it yourself darlomike?
    If it's not against the rules (it's not)... then you is if you find it advantageous.
  • edited March 2010
    ok, i found that post.

i understand that being away/sitting out is part of the game.

my point was the pretending to be away and then acting, i mean tbh it did kind of effect my play but was just me wanting to knock out the guy playing the hands like this etc.

one person, said well done to the guy doing the "pretending" for what i saw as pretending to catch the shortys all in and called to knock him out.

the guy who said "well done" was the player who he knocked out next.

I have nothing against players who sit out/ away status, but i do have a problem with people playing in the way to trick people into thinking they are away, when they are their waiting and trying to catch others.
  • edited March 2010

I couldn't do something like that, i'd feel like i was being dishonest.

I'd feel it's like cheating and tbh i would say would mark me as dishonest and unhonorable player.

surely you can see what i mean ??

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Pretending to be "away":
    I couldn't do something like that, i'd feel like i was being dishonest. I'd feel it's like cheating and tbh i would say would mark me as dishonest and unhonorable player. surely you can see what i mean ??
    Posted by Darlomike
    yea i get where your coming from... your too nice!!! lol... do you feel like that when you bluff someone?
    Pretending to be away is exactly the same as bluffing someone.
  • edited March 2010
    yeh but bluffing at least you know the player knows you are there.

pretending to be away is like saying, i am not taking part in this hand so go ahead do what you want.... oh wait i have AA i am going take you all the way.

it's not that i am "too nice" i just feel playing fair and by fair i mean using fairplay and not rubbing people up the wrong way etc.

most people will accept a bluff raise, but how many would be happy about someone calling over an over when by all means are not meant to be there.
  • edited March 2010
    if it tilts the oppo then obviously they will keep doing it

and rightly so
  • edited March 2010
    I couldn't do something like that, i'd feel like i was being dishonest. I'd feel it's like cheating and tbh i would say would mark me as dishonest and unhonorable player. surely you can see what i mean ??
    Posted by Darlomike
    I tend to agree. Like I said, it seems a bit dodgy to me but its considered to be a legitimate tactic and you have to deal with it. You have to assume that the player who is away can come back at any point in the hand.
  • edited March 2010
    yeh but bluffing at least you know the player knows you are there. pretending to be away is like saying, i am not taking part in this hand so go ahead do what you want.... oh wait i have AA i am going take you all the way. it's not that i am "too nice" i just feel playing fair and by fair i mean using fairplay and not rubbing people up the wrong way etc. most people will accept a bluff raise, but how many would be happy about someone calling over an over when by all means are not meant to be there.
    Posted by Darlomike
    but bluffing is like saying i have a good hand so go ahead and fold... oh wait i have 72o and just took a chunk of your chips.
  • edited March 2010
    yeh but bluffing at least you know the player knows you are there. pretending to be away is like saying, i am not taking part in this hand so go ahead do what you want.... oh wait i have AA i am going take you all the way. it's not that i am "too nice" i just feel playing fair and by fair i mean using fairplay and not rubbing people up the wrong way etc. most people will accept a bluff raise, but how many would be happy about someone calling over an over when by all means are not meant to be there.
    Posted by Darlomike
    they are 'meant' to be there... they have paid their money. Just min raise their blinds and they insta fold when it comes to them rather than going all in, just in case they come back.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Pretending to be "away" : If you read the thread "Players who sit out" you will see lots of discussion on this topic. Ths short answer is that any player has the right to sit out whenever he wants. However, I tend to agree that the particular practise you refer to, where a player appears to be away until it is his turn to bet and then suddenly becomes active, is a little bit shady. I don't know whether this practise is possible in live poker but i suspect it is.
    Posted by Seagull158
    lol,i dont think this would be possible in a live scenario...doyle brunson is hiding in the toilets,helmuth raises,matusow re-raises,then brunson using his ESP sees he has AA ,comes 'running' back(bouncing a basketball to a marching band playing sweet georgia brown) and slam-dunks all his chips in the middle..err ,not.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Pretending to be "away" : lol,i dont think this would be possible in a live scenario...doyle brunson is hiding in the toilets,helmuth raises,matusow re-raises,then brunson using his ESP sees he has AA ,comes 'running' back(bouncing a basketball to a marching band playing sweet georgia brown) and slam-dunks all his chips in the middle..err ,not.
    Posted by philmenow
    But you can leave the table and then walk back in time for your bet. Same thing.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Pretending to be "away" : But you can leave the table and then walk back in time for your bet. Same thing.
    Posted by Seagull158
    not really,ud have to leave the table every hand,then ud miss so much that ud never know who was doing what and why..
  • edited March 2010

I have come across this practice as well and used to think it is bad etiquette but on reflection if a player is away you would quite happily raise with anything to steal it (is that etiquette), so I think it works both ways you will steal it if thay are away but then they are entitled to jump back in if they have a hand and perhaps resteal,
     poker has so much to offer it is fantastic and thats why we play
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Pretending to be "away" : lol,i dont think this would be possible in a live scenario...doyle brunson is hiding in the toilets,helmuth raises,matusow re-raises,then brunson using his ESP sees he has AA ,comes 'running' back(bouncing a basketball to a marching band playing sweet georgia brown) and slam-dunks all his chips in the middle..err ,not.
    Posted by philmenow
    love this post ..v good  sweet georgia brown ha ha..u mad.
  • edited March 2010
      I have come across this practice as well and used to think it is bad etiquette but on reflection if a player is away you would quite happily raise with anything to steal it (is that etiquette), so I think it works both ways you will steal it if thay are away but then they are entitled to jump back in if they have a hand and perhaps resteal,  poker has so much to offer it is fantastic and thats why we play
    Posted by JONONZIE
    You beat me to it.well said,totally agree..
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Pretending to be "away" : If you read the thread "Players who sit out" you will see lots of discussion on this topic. Ths short answer is that any player has the right to sit out whenever he wants. However, I tend to agree that the particular practise you refer to, where a player appears to be away until it is his turn to bet and then suddenly becomes active, is a little bit shady. I don't know whether this practise is possible in live poker but i suspect it is.
    Posted by Seagull158
    Im a tournament director for a few live poker events, and in my events if your not at the table when the hands delt you cannot bet, this was a way i felt was fair on all the players and everyone knows the rules before standing up, now most people see their hand before they leave and stay seated to play, or return for the next deal .
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Pretending to be "away" : Im a tournament director for a few live poker events, and in my events if your not at the table when the hands delt you cannot bet, this was a way i felt was fair on all the players and everyone knows the rules before standing up, now most people see their hand before they leave and stay seated to play, or return for the next deal .
    Posted by The_Don90
    and there are some online sites ,that if u r 'away' ur cards r instamukked..
  • edited March 2010
      I have come across this practice as well and used to think it is bad etiquette but on reflection if a player is away you would quite happily raise with anything to steal it (is that etiquette), so I think it works both ways you will steal it if thay are away but then they are entitled to jump back in if they have a hand and perhaps resteal,  poker has so much to offer it is fantastic and thats why we play
    Posted by JONONZIE
    I agree with this post. I have stolen blinds off players that are away, and sometimes that many that i havn't noticed they're back and got my comeuppance lol.

On a more serious note i get frozen out a lot due to the poor quality of my dongle lol. It says i am 'away' and i am left looking at my hole cards and cant bet, which if they are good i am frantically trying to get my connection back and sometimes if i manage it its a split second away from auto folding me and i catch it right in the nick of time. When this happens it is genuine and i wouldn't like other players to think that i was employing this kind of sneaky tactic.

If someone does it deliberately then i suppose its legal but imo diiiirty.
  • edited March 2010

To clarify what happens in Live Poker.

There are no univeral rules, but in almost ALL reputable establishments a players hand is deemed to be dead if.....

a) He is not seated when the hand is dealt.

b) If he leaves the table at any point during the hand.

Online, of course, this does not apply, & players can legitimately absent themselves & re-appear as they wish.
  • edited March 2010
    i agree with THE DON there, but i thought that would be standard practice in a live game. Maybe it should be. Unfortunately online there's no way to stop them doing it unless something simiar is written into the software. I'm sure i've seen this on other sites, where if you are away at the deal your cards are mucked automatically, and you can't sit back in until the hand is over
  • edited March 2010

why pretend to be away, your on the site to play poker because you like to play poker, unless your one of the big hitters who actually make good money out of playing poker,the rest of us are probably just here cos we just like to play the game,if doubling up is so important to you go on the roulette tables and pick red or black, players sitting out in DYM games does actually spoil my enjoyment of the game im in whether i win or lose.

• edited March 2010
    why pretend to be away, your on the site to play poker because you like to play poker, unless your one of the big hitters who actually make good money out of playing poker,the rest of us are probably just here cos we just like to play the game,if doubling up is so important to you go on the roulette tables and pick red or black, players sitting out in DYM games does actually spoil my enjoyment of the game im in whether i win or lose.
    Posted by lucy4
    Don't let ti affect your game, People sit out for a number of reasons. Sometimes they happen to be getting a brew or fixing a sandwich when thy look over and see aces. back to the laptop they run and click back, just in time to see the shorty push all in and they call - In circumstances like these the players often then have to suffer at the hands of someone who deems this "Unfair" and abuses them in chat. It's quite simple really, if your happy to raise into people sitting out then be happy if they come back to call you.

Enjoy your game and allow others to play using whatever strategy the decide..... The trick is to play your own strategy to counteract whatever the other players on the tables are doing, The game is about adjustment so if you think someone is sitting out to trap the min raise don't shove, that way you can walk away if they come over the top of you
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Pretending to be "away" : love this post ..v good  sweet georgia brown ha ha..u mad.
    Posted by FINS
    Thanks FINS,just temporary madness..if skypoker want me to do any adverts for them,im cheap aswell..
  • edited March 2010

i understand the genuine aways like drinks/food/toilets etc,its the ones who are out from the start then keep popping up shoving all in then sitting out again,so you dont know when they are there or not, or the type of hands they play,like i said i play for the enjoyment of the game,if i was that desperate to only win money i would try and find a game i was good at,haha.

• edited March 2010
    I hate this kind of angle shooting. I find that the best way to combat it is to just play your normal game. If you're raising to nick the blinds, just min-raise and fold to a re-pop.

To be honest though, the software needs a re-write so that the away hands are folded at the outset of the hand. Much fairer to everyone.
  • edited March 2010
    I hate this kind of angle shooting. I find that the best way to combat it is to just play your normal game. If you're raising to nick the blinds, just min-raise and fold to a re-pop. To be honest though, the software needs a re-write so that the away hands are folded at the outset of the hand. Much fairer to everyone.
    Posted by KnackersYa
    People can play their cards anyway that they like and to call this "angle shooting" is stretching a point, I feel.
    As you say, the tactic of min-raising and folding if you get resistance is a simple and effective method of combating this style of play.
    If "away hands" were folded at the outset of each hand people would just click "back" after every hand and time would be lost in the game since the clock would be likely to run down when they fold instead of the "insta-fold" that you get when they are away from the table.
    In terms of game play there is no difference between people being "away" and only clicking "back" when they have a hand and a tight player being present at the table and folding the vast majority of his hands in the early stages of a game. This is deemed good strategy by many successful STT players.
    Since they are saving game time by not deliberating over each hand before folding many people would prefer these types of opponents.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Pretending to be "away" : People can play their cards anyway that they like and to call this "angle shooting" is stretching a point, I feel. As you say, the tactic of min-raising and folding if you get resistance is a simple and effective method of combating this style of play. If "away hands" were folded at the outset of each hand people would just click "back" after every hand and time would be lost in the game since the clock would be likely to run down when they fold instead of the "insta-fold" that you get when they are away from the table. In terms of game play there is no difference between people being "away" and only clicking "back" when they have a hand and a tight player being present at the table and folding the vast majority of his hands in the early stages of a game. This is deemed good strategy by many successful STT players. Since they are saving game time by not deliberating over each hand before folding many people would prefer these types of opponents.
    Posted by MereNovice
    There you go - end of thread.

Next case.