You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

At a crossroads. * UPDATE *

Comments

• edited March 2010
    My advice is return to your Old Stomping ground, You know you can beat the game at NL20 so rebuild from there. Use good table selection to pick games that give you value and play just a couple of tables to start your rebuilding.

Before taking further shots at NL50 why not spend a week just railing the cash games, find targets that you feel you can exploit and make detailed notes on their games.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: At a crossroads.:
    Hi OMahonyO . Was playing against you last night. Sorry to hear about what happened man. I've been there. If it makes you feel any better I'll tell you about how stupid I was the other night, 19th march 2010. First the events leading up to it. I lost my job in December, no probs. Id been doing well on the poker so i thought Id try for a bit to see if I could make a living from it. Anyway I started Jan with £1600 as my BR. I played 10 hours a day all the way through Jan and got my BR up to £3200. I payed myself £800 which left my BR at £2400. Feb was another good month. I got up to £3300 by the end of the month. I payed myself £800 which left my BR at £2500. March started out and the way things were going I was thinking more serious about poker. I started looking up strategies on the web and in books. This didnt do me good. I think everyone needs to play thier own game and learn from there own mistakes. Plus i think these strategies were for much higher stakes that the NL50 I was playing on. After 2 weeks I only managed to break even and my confidence was lost.  March 19th I Went on MEGA TILT not playing poker but on the slots in Sky Vagas. I lost £1400 playing on that stupid cluedo mega jackpot slot leaving my BR at £1100....Oops With the end of the month coming I put aside £800 for bills taking my BR to £300 20th till today. Im back up to £600. Man thats a HARD lesson to learn. This whole things affected my play and im not sure i gonna make next months Target. Ive started looking for a real job already.  anyways the point is when you get smashed down you gotta pick yourself up and start again. but this time bigger ans stronger than before. no quittin dude. This is what we love man, Poker the ups and the downs. good luck man.      
    Posted by dub1

Great post dub1,

I`m sorry to hear about your situation,  this story and a couple of others Ive heard recently have put things into perspective for me.  Yes, Ive blown my roll but I have a job, I have my health(debatable lol) my family are healthy, and I dont ultimately rely on poker for anything, although I was getting used to cashing out a few quid now and again to buy something.
    All in all what happened happens over and over and over in the poker world and Im hoping to learn from it.

I so hope it works out for you dub1, and if you do need to get a job, it was something that was meant to be.
  • edited March 2010
    I would also like to add,

I love the way there are some bigger players on here posting stuff on this thread and not thinking about the monetary value as such.  What I mean is there are ppl that posted on here that would drop £600 in a session and not bat an eye.  They are not of the opinion of ` its only £600 mate, get over it, we do it all the time` etc.

Most, if not all of the advice I have had is to cut down on tables.  I kinda knew this but wasnt disciplined enough on that night.
    If/when I get to the stage where I am looking to take a shot at nl50, I will be 1 or 2 tabling, as people have said, it is the only way to progress.

I will however autopilot my way there, as Im not planning on 1-2 tabling nl4 or I would be collecting my bus pass by the time I got to nl50.

Hoping to 12 table nl4 until £200, then 10 table nl10 until £400, then 8 table nl20 until at least £1k ( I know I said £2k, but we will see.  That seems so far away).  Then take it from there.

Ive deposited £50, which in effect is my cash for points bonus early as when the bonus comes I will cash it out.

I had a couple hrs on my lappy yesterday, which can only handle 6 tables,  then when I got in from work, I loaded up 12 tables for about 1hr 20 or so.......... I forgot how crazy it was down there and am a bit worried about picking up bad habits, but hopefully now Ive identified them, I can re adjust when needs be.

...........current bankroll = £78.91......onwards and upwards

cheers
  • edited March 2010

Glad you are taking some advice and are back in the game mate.

Most good players will give advice, its the ability to analyse that makes them better players,

That said, it doesnt always work.

I came online a couple of nights back, and one of the regulars had completely lost it, totally steaming.  I told him to stop it and that he should go to bed.  That advice seemed to settle him down for a while and whilst he was still being rash he managed to take my stack, going to £100 on the 15/30p tables.  Wish I hadnt said anything lol!

• edited March 2010
    Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii..............£104.25,

Dont worry, Im not gonna be posting every day, but I thought £100 was a bit of a landmark as im very unlikely to go bust again now ( i hope)...........

gl
  • edited March 2010
    Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii..............£104.25, Dont worry, Im not gonna be posting every day, but I thought £100 was a bit of a landmark as im very unlikely to go bust again now ( i hope)........... gl
    Posted by OMahonyO
    DO post every day, I'd be interested to see how your going but apart from that it helps to wind down your session and clear your mind before the next.

When doing a recent spin up challage i found it great to keep a running commentary on how my night had gone. Cathartic to put into words what you did right & what you did wrong. Really helped me identify problems i'd had and put them right.

GL

Chris
  • edited March 2010
    Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii..............£104.25, Dont worry, Im not gonna be posting every day, but I thought £100 was a bit of a landmark as im very unlikely to go bust again now ( i hope)........... gl
    Posted by OMahonyO
    are you still multitabling nl4? thats quite a steady profit, gl :p

• edited March 2010

I dont play every day, but I will post after every session.  I agree, it would be good for me personally to go back and see my ups and downs along the way. 

I had a couple of 6 tabling sessions on my lappy and a little 12table session on desktop.  I agree crow01, its not a bad run at all really, and I have surprised myself.  I have no illusions that this run will continue for ever but  nice to run well at the beginning.  Be nice if it could continue at this rate.

• edited March 2010
    I dont play every day, but I will post after every session.  I agree, it would be good for me personally to go back and see my ups and downs along the way.  I had a couple of 6 tabling sessions on my lappy and a little 12table session on desktop.  I agree crow01, its not a bad run at all really, and I have surprised myself.  I have no illusions that this run will continue for ever but  nice to run well at the beginning.  Be nice if it could continue at this rate.
    Posted by OMahonyO
    i am in a very similar position to you, after busting out recently.  but, i have been using the poker profits to keep my lifestyle after getting made redundant 6 months ago.  you could generaly find me hanging around anywhere between nl10 and nl50 playing no more than 4 tables. i  have got £200 spare to start my br off this weekend. maybe we could create a new thread noting our performances and roi.

i know when i start back again i am going to keep a lot of details written down about each table/session statistics.

just thought it might be good for encouragement etc etc

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: At a crossroads. : i am in a very similar position to you, after busting out recently.  but, i have been using the poker profits to keep my lifestyle after getting made redundant 6 months ago.  you could generaly find me hanging around anywhere between nl10 and nl50 playing no more than 4 tables. i  have got £200 spare to start my br off this weekend. maybe we could create a new thread noting our performances and roi. i know when i start back again i am going to keep a lot of details written down about each table/session statistics. just thought it might be good for encouragement etc etc
    Posted by crow01

Yes mate, sounds like a good idea.  Let me know when you are ready and we will sort it.

• edited March 2010
    Hi Guys,
    I am hoping to start a Sky Blog in April and amongst things i would like to discuss is the Hand stats that we have on our hands I am also going to run a BR challenge playing live v online
    I make my profit live not online so i am happy to share my stats in a frank and honest way. Mahoney perhaps you would be interested in this.
    Anyway keep up the good work no doubt i will see you on the 50nl at some stage
    Keep Smiling
    HAL_9000
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Guys, I am hoping to start a Sky Blog in April and amongst things i would like to discuss is the Hand stats that we have on our hands I am also going to run a BR challenge playing live v online I make my profit live not online so i am happy to share my stats in a frank and honest way. Mahoney perhaps you would be interested in this. Anyway keep up the good work no doubt i will see you on the 50nl at some stage Keep Smiling HAL_9000
    Posted by HAL_9000
    I would be interested I think, but I`m not sure what you are getting at.  A running thread? Not sure what you mean by discussing hand stats.  Please elaborate.....
  • edited March 2010
    Omaha-oneyO - Whats the latest with the roll?
  • edited March 2010
    Omaha-oneyO - Whats the latest with the roll?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

LOL, I like it.  I wont be building it with that game.

£112.99
  • edited March 2010

Aghhh easy peasy then, I didnt expect you to be able to more than double the roll within a week at nl4....

I expected it to be tough and really frustrating, got a mate who is a good/decent player, (deffo in the top 5% of players at nl10 and below, and he struggles to beat it) - maybe hes not good and is sh 1te really, will suggest that to him next time we speak....

U seem to Be gliding through it with np, justifies ur decision, wd and cya at nl20-50 soon ;)

DOHH
  • edited March 2010
    Aghhh easy peasy then, I didnt expect you to be able to more than double the roll within a week at nl4.... I expected it to be tough and really frustrating, got a mate who is a good/decent player, (deffo in the top 5% of players at nl10 and below, and he struggles to beat it) - maybe hes not good and is sh 1te really, will suggest that to him next time we speak.... U seem to Be gliding through it with np, justifies ur decision, wd and cya at nl20-50 soon ;) DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol
  • edited March 2010
    1 hour 12 tabling......-£3

But then, I took down the orfordable, and got a bit of cash nl4 action,

current bankroll,

£177.46
  • edited March 2010
    1 hour 12 tabling......-£3 But then, I took down the orfordable, and got a bit of cash nl4 action, current bankroll, £177.46
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Nice 1, well done!
  • edited March 2010
    see you knew you could do it.wd keep it up
  • edited March 2010
    Wp gr8 result for you, nxt stop 200 quid

gl at the tbs
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: At a crossroads. : Nice 1, well done!
    Posted by MADMOO
    where were you, i only played coz i thought u were playing lol.  Used to be loads of banter on those.  There was still a bit..... but, i dunno,.......there was quite a few forumers that used to play who I was looking forward to bantering with, who werent there.

TY MADMOO
  • edited March 2010
  • edited March 2010
    OmahoneyO I have sent you a private message you can read it by clicking on "your Profile" just above the Sit n Go button Cheers HAL_9000
    Posted by HAL_9000
    i got it and will reply soon , ty
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: At a crossroads. : Yes mate, sounds like a good idea.  Let me know when you are ready and we will sort it.
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Am another one in same position - brks definately work - came back with 100 and doin ok after a few days after 3  weeks out

i was losing every day i played before brk
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: At a crossroads. : where were you, i only played coz i thought u were playing lol.  Used to be loads of banter on those.  There was still a bit..... but, i dunno,.......there was quite a few forumers that used to play who I was looking forward to bantering with, who werent there. TY MADMOO
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Lol, you think my chips are easy eh? You in tonight to Defend Your Crown?
  • edited March 2010
    1 hour 12 tabling......-£3 But then, I took down the orfordable, and got a bit of cash nl4 action, current bankroll, £177.46
    Posted by OMahonyO
    and you took a BI off me with KK vs JJ!!!!!
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: At a crossroads. : Lol, you think my chips are easy eh? You in tonight to Defend Your Crown?
    Posted by MADMOO
    not at all madmoo, difficult in fact. Not playing tonight, gl to you if you are
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: At a crossroads. : and you took a BI off me with KK vs JJ!!!!!
    Posted by Seagull158
    Who had the JJ, soz if it was me lol
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: At a crossroads. : Who had the JJ, soz if it was me lol
    Posted by OMahonyO
    No, it was a "fair" coup. First player raised it up, I shoved with JJ and you called with KK. The other player had K7!!!!
  • edited May 2010
    Ok,  It has been 2 months since i posted this.  Feels like a lot longer for some reason.  I was going to give regular updates but that may have become tedious to everyone, so thought I would leave it until I could see if I could fully recover my losses.

It seems after much patience and grind, I have finally done it.  BR = £785 + £50 cash for points = £835, back to where I started.

I know it doesnt sound much to some, but considering I cannot play all that often, I am made up with this, which is all that matters I suppose.

Eagle 26, I have just read your thread and hope rereading this one will help you out.  Like I said there is no rush, once I get my head around that it should be all gravy.

gl all