You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

foul and abusive language

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
I have recently started with sky poker and generally Im ok with it but I've come across some players using foul
and abusive language to other players. I'm not a prude but I don't think this has a place on the tables. What is sky's policy and what action is taken when reported? I haven't checked out the whole forum,so if the answers there please redirect me. thanks

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Sky take a very firm stance on abusive language and behaviour, both at the poker tables and on this forum.
    Players are "chat banned" for varying periods (which can include "life") depending on the level and frequency of the abuse.
    You should always report abuse to Customer Care - you can find links at the bottom of this page.
  • edited March 2010
    **** ****** **** ********!

They take it very seriously and if you reported it to Customer Services they would look at the chat logs and take action (ie, chat ban and/or forum ban).

[Sigh] Mere beats me again :-(

• edited March 2010
    Hi miami

Welcome to Sky poker & also to the forum.

There have been a few threads regarding some of the colourful language that happens at the tables sometimes & I would say the general consensus is that is doesn't bother some but it will others (fwiw, I'm pretty much in the not bothered camp).

However, that's almost besides the point here. If at any time you have come across behaviour that is not acceptable to you (or indeed you feel is not acceptable to others) then in the bottom left of the screen you will find the details of how to contact Sky & report such matters (you'll probably need to scroll down to the bottom of the page). I think most people do it through the live chat function (I would, but then I'm a bit lazy & can't be bothered to get the phone, lol).

• edited March 2010
    its part of the game.......

i'm more than happy to play against players who are blowing their top!!!

if you dont like it, turn the chat off is my advice, and keep the edge....

i would never "grass" anyone up

• edited March 2010
    in fact its really annoying me to think people actually do this......

would you tell the manager of a pub that you could hear someone swearing a couple of tables away from you and ask for them to be barred? i think not. this is a site for over 18's.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to foul and abusive language:
    I have recently started with sky poker and generally Im ok with it but I've come across some players using foul and abusive language to other players. I'm not a prude but I don't think this has a place on the tables. What is sky's policy and what action is taken when reported? I haven't checked out the whole forum,so if the answers there please redirect me. thanks
    Posted by miamigo

Hey miamigo,

(just as the guys above point out) please please report all abuse to our customer care team. we take incidents of this matter very seriously and you can be sure that if abuse is reported, it will be investigated with the appropriate action taken.

to get in touch with the team just use the links at the bottom of your screen or click here

all the best to you,

Rich
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: foul and abusive language:
    in fact its really annoying me to think people actually do this...... would you tell the manager of a pub that you could hear someone swearing a couple of tables away from you and ask for them to be barred? i think not. this is a site for over 18's.
    Posted by crow01
    SPOT ON CROW... BUGS ME HOW PEOPLE SNITCH IF U ARE SWORN AT! TURN THE CHAT OFF AND IGNORE, SIMPLE.... IMO THESE PEOPLE ARE POX Y DO-GOODERS AND HAVE GOT NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH THERE TIME... THE BEST ONES ARE OBSERVERS WHO SEE IT GOING ON AND REPORT IT IF THO ITS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM! SADDOS!
  • edited March 2010
    in fact its really annoying me to think people actually do this...... would you tell the manager of a pub that you could hear someone swearing a couple of tables away from you and ask for them to be barred? i think not. this is a site for over 18's.
    Posted by crow01
    Responsible people over the age of 18 do not abuse other people.
    People who allow this type of behaviour to continue un-checked are doing a disservice to the site.
    I fail to see why you would think that abuse is acceptable amongst any section of the community or public.
  • edited March 2010
    Abuse at the table is all part and parcel of poker, that doesn't make it right, but it's something you need to learn to live with. Abuse generally is a result of someone losing out or disagreeing with the way you play. Either way it means you have the upper hand at that point. Not many Vicars and Nuns play this game so there will be occasions when someone gets a bit over excited and their language takes a turn for the worse. Either ignore it, turn it off. or, make the most of the opportunity. Either way get used to it because it will happen.
  • edited March 2010
    i will quote myself here novice...

'm more than happy to play against players who are blowing their top!!!

if you dont like it, turn the chat off is my advice, and keep the edge....

its not like you have to listen to it, its not essential, click dealer chat only and the problem is solved. and as swear words are asterixed out, i fail to see the problem. you have to make up the bad words in your head, in effect you are making up your own swear words lol
  • edited March 2010
    Abuse is generally prevalent amongst pathetic and inadequate people who are unable to function normally within society. They use it to vent their frustration at being unable to express themselves in a more intelligent way.
    At poker tables, it is almost always carried out by losing players.
    Whilst we could pity and indulge them, it is far better to make clear that this type of behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
  • edited March 2010
    is it any wonder people swear,when theyv had theyr pot size bet called twice, with nothing,only to get beat on river...swearings as much a part of the english language as 'the' and 'there',thats why its in the dictionary...cant imagine many people 'poppin' in the local constabulary because they hear swearing on the street...best bet if you dont want to hear it is A.mute option...B.stop calling to the river with nothing.........racist and sexist remarks are clearly 'totally' unacceptable...altho ull also hear them in the real world..if its skys policy to have 'no swearing' then there should be something in the software to totally block swearing,oh there is?well fudge me..
  • edited March 2010
    Hi miami

In general and in comparison to many other poker sites, Sky Poker is one of the friendliest around. The levels of abuse are, thankfully, very low but they do occur. After all, it is an adult site and some folk do not have the vocabulary to express themselves in a better way, especially when the beer's been flowing! Mostly, the abuse is short-lived and their loss of the plot is something you should be able to take advantage of but if it becomes prolonged and uncomfortable to you then you should report it and action will be taken.
    In reply to the posts by crow and jimbo, everybody is different and react to abuse in many ways. While most of it is in the heat of the moment and can and should be brushed aside, there are certain cases where abuse is targeted and prolonged! In these instances, it HAS to be reported so that it does not become the norm! I for one want Sky Poker to remain one of the friendliest sites around and if that means "grassing" or "snitching" on abusive players (or railers) then so be it!
    Good to have you with us miami and good luck at the tables!

Chris
  • edited March 2010
    Well said novice! The fact that those players who posted above think it's cool or OK to 'f' and blind at others on the tables reflecting their level of intelligence and confirming to the rest of us the strata of society from which they come from. As your post suggests, they were probably under achievers at school and probably still are, yet role models in the underbelly of normal society.

There is no place for abusive language on the poker table
  • edited March 2010
    Im also in this dont really care camp. To be honest as Elsa said i usually take advantage of the player being in this mood. If their wound up as much then can then can they be playing their best poker i find not. I just tell them why the call/bet was made and let them continue the rant. Thats fine by me, they often go on tilt, thanks for the chips and goodbye. I see it as simple as that.

However i learnt to play poker live in a pub game with some very sore losers so as a result i think that affects the way i see it,.
  • edited March 2010
    Abuse is generally prevalent amongst pathetic and inadequate people who are unable to function normally within society. They use it to vent their frustration at being unable to express themselves in a more intelligent way. At poker tables, it is almost always carried out by losing players. Whilst we could pity and indulge them, it is far better to make clear that this type of behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
    Posted by MereNovice
    +1
  • edited March 2010
    Most of the "people", and I use the term loosely, who abuse players on here are cowards.

You would never see them having a rant like that at a live game but the fact that they can do it from behind a screen using a keyboard makes them abusive towards other players
  • edited March 2010
    Well said novice! The fact that those players who posted above think it's cool or OK to 'f' and blind at others on the tables reflecting their level of intelligence and confirming to the rest of us the strata of society from which they come from. As your post suggests, they were probably under achievers at school and probably still are, yet role models in the underbelly of normal society. There is no place for abusive language on the poker table
    Posted by bobcat52
    ERRR..... DID I ACTUALLY SAY IT WAS COOL TO SAY OK TO BE ABUSED NO... I POINTED OUT THAT IT HAPPENS AND THAT PEOPLE ARE QUICK TO JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON AND SAY OH NO ITS NOT RIGHT BLAH BLAH BLAH....ITS LIFE AND U DEAL WITH IT BY IGNORING OR REACTING...AND AS FOR BEING UNDER EDUCATED... WELL DONT GET ME STARTED COZ IM A RIGHT FICK O!!! DO U ACTUALLY WATCH POKER BOBCAT... HAVE U SEEN MIKE "THE MOUTH" MATTUSOW TONY G AND OF COURSE HELLMUTH!!! TO NAME BUT A FEW... THEN OF COURSE LUKE SCHWARTZ WHO HAS HAD RUNNING BATLES WITH FELDMAN SINCE HE CAME TO THE SCENE... THESE PROS ABUSE EACH OTHER ALL THE TIME SO TELL U WHAT IF U DONT LIKE IT, STICK TO WATCHING OR PLAYING POKER AT HOME OR WITH FRIENDS... IT HAPPENS EVERWHERE!.... AND FOR THE RECORD I DID NOT ONCE CONDONE PLAYERS BEING ABUSED... I POINTED OUT THAT IT BUGS ME HOW PEOPLE QUICKY REPORT IT AND WHINGE AND LIKE CROWS POINT OF A PUB... HERES A THOUGHT.... UR WATCHING UR FOOTY TEAM AND THE OPPO SUPPORTER IS SWEARING AT U FROM AFAR.... DO U CONTACT A STEWARD OR IGNORE???  IN ALL WALKS OF LIFE U GET AGGRO THATS A FACT.... ITS HOW U DEAL WITH IT THAT MATTERS! ANYWAY THATS FROM THE SCHOOL OF LIFE MATE... THERE IS NO BETTER EDUCATION!
  • edited March 2010
    Well said novice! The fact that those players who posted above think it's cool or OK to 'f' and blind at others on the tables reflecting their level of intelligence and confirming to the rest of us the strata of society from which they come from. As your post suggests, they were probably under achievers at school and probably still are, yet role models in the underbelly of normal society. There is no place for abusive language on the poker table
    Posted by bobcat52

if you are referring to me i seriously suggest you ACTAUALLY read my posts. at which point did i say it was cool? i never suggested i condone it? my whole point was that i take advantage of it. 

the part i have put in bold i find to be much more abusive than calling me some names.

so stop being a hypocrite.

**edit** me an jimbo must of wrote this at the same time
  • edited March 2010
    PEOPLE!!

Calm down!! 

Nobody likes to be on the receiving end of abuse and the 'report abuse/ignore/mods' exists to ensure that anyone who feels that they are being personally attacked or bullied by another player can take action.

All of us have the capacity to decipher the difference between a badbeat blowout and personal abuse.

This thread is heating up for the wrong reasons.

Having read each post I think we can agree that we are all against such 'abuse'.

It is, however, up to the individual how they handle the situation. I personally like to chat and so have encountered a few individuals along the way who like to 'stir things up'. If I ever felt a line was crossed I told them so immediately and if it continued to the extend where I or other players felt intimidated or upset then I would think nothing of asking the mods to 'temper' that player.

For those of you who aren't inclined to chat or who are inclined to react (and we all have our moments!) then the  better answer may be to temporarily shut the chatbox and remove the proverbial fuel from the 'abusers' fire.

Bullies tend to get bored when they receive no reaction and if it really is just the result of a bad beat then eventually that person will cool down and get on with the business of enjoying the game.

Nuff said.

• edited March 2010
    Nuff said

Dominant women do it for me :o)
  • edited March 2010
    it seems to me this thread should be closed, after all its getting abusive. lol.

On a lighter side of things, good to see some examples lol.
  • edited March 2010
    Alan, you beat me to it ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Nuff said Dominant women do it for me :o)
    Posted by elsadog
    You're a bad boy Alan lol
  • edited March 2010
    Nuff said Dominant women do it for me :o)
    Posted by elsadog
    Surely, if they're really dominant "you do it for them"?
  • edited March 2010
    Now, if they're really dominant ............................
  • edited March 2010
    Now, if they're really dominant ............................
    Posted by elsadog

They ENFORCE it upon you?

*sigh* This thread is really out of control now lol
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: foul and abusive language : You're a bad boy Alan lol
    Posted by Lisa_Long
    er... do we get punishd? ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Yes Barry.

No Sky Poker for 3minutes!!
  • edited March 2010
    STOP IT NOW!

From what was a fiesty little thread about bad language, it has now become a dominatrix thread about Lisa Marie!
    How did that happen? And where is my mind going with all this? I can't take it anymore, the pictures in my head....Ooooh the pictures.............
    ;)