You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Q-Q first hand - what do you do here?

I was talking to a player on Sky Poker last night, &  he told me he had exited a Viva Las Vegas Semi-Final on the very first hand when he got it all-in first hand with Queens. The Structure has 2,000 chips, & starts at 10-20. Do you get it all-in here?

Comments

• edited May 2009
    In Response to Q-Q first hand - what do you do here?:
    I was talking to a player on Sky Poker last night, &  he told me he had exited a Viva Las Vegas Semi-Final on the very first hand when he got it all-in first hand with Queens. The Structure has 2,000 chips, & starts at 10-20. Do you get it all-in here?
    Posted by Tikay10
    How did the betting go tikay?  That said, I think I struggle to get it all in with Queens in the opening level.
  • edited May 2009
    In Response to Re: Q-Q first hand - what do you do here?:
    In Response to Q-Q first hand - what do you do here? : How did the betting go tikay?  That said, I think I struggle to get it all in with Queens in the opening level.
    Posted by Sky_Des
    Our Hero Raised, the Villain Re-Raised All-in, & our Hero snap-called. Villain had Aces. Hero told me he realised afterwards that his play was a bit rash. I agree, personally. Early Double-Ups are not worth as much as many think - it's much later that you need these situations. "A better situation will arise" as Micky Wernick says. You don't win these things in Level One - ever, ever, EVER. WE have 200 Big Blinds at the start of this Tourney. Later, when we have, let's say, between 10 and 15 Big Blinds, it's a no-brainer. All-In, no matter how the Betting goes!
  • edited May 2009
    In Response to Re: Q-Q first hand - what do you do here? : Our Hero Raised, the Villain Re-Raised All-in, & our Hero snap-called. Villain had Aces. Hero told me he realised afterwards that his play was a bit rash. I agree, personally. Early Double-Ups are not worth as much as many think - it's much later that you need these situations. "A better situation will arise" as Micky Wernick says. You don't win these things in Level One - ever, ever, EVER. WE have 200 Big Blinds at the start of this Tourney. Later, when we have, let's say, between 10 and 15 Big Blinds, it's a no-brainer. All-In, no matter how the Betting goes!
    Posted by Tikay10
    Maybe a bit early to have a read on the other player also, to give you his likely range.  I'm letting that go after the all in reraise.
  • edited May 2009
    TBH, the only hand I'm prepared to shove it all in with in the 1st hand is aces.
  • edited May 2009
    TBH, the only hand I'm prepared to shove it all in with in the 1st hand is aces.
    Posted by silentbob
    Id like to see the kings folded lol ;)
  • edited May 2009
    I'm guessing the blind levels up are every 10 mins in a Vegas semi? Assuming thats the case then the fold is justifiable, but if it's one of those speed tournaments i'm not sure i'm laying it down - you may have 200 BB's now but in 9 mins we're very likely to have half that at best (if its a 3 min clock) which isn't that much time to find a better situation IMO. I think folding here on a 10 min clock s better because even if villain is spazzing about with A5 (as is likely to happen with some players I've seen on this site), he's probably bad enough that you'll be very likely to get all his money in the pot drawing dead on the flop in a rounds time.
  • edited May 2009
    In Response to Re: Q-Q first hand - what do you do here? : Id like to see the kings folded lol ;)
    Posted by wings22
    OK, maybe I'd keep the cowboys too :confused:

Agree with YoungUn though, 10 minute blinds (maybe even 7) it can be folded but in the super quick games it's a whole different ball game
  • edited May 2009
    So, with the moral majority in favour of folding anything less than Aces in that spot, does it not then follow that the Villain's policy (re-raising all-in any decent size raise in the early stages of an important competition) is a long-term profitable play because the chances of ever being called are extremely slim?

Could you theoretically do this several times and build up a very healthy stack early doors, even if you're not exactly making any friends around the table and raising more than a few eyebrows about your poker ability?

Btw, just being devil's advocate here! I wouldn't dream of doing it myself- it seems completely insane! But the question stands- over a long period will you gain from all the times your opponents fold, compared to the occasional time you get called and get knocked out in the early stages? (Bearing in mind that even if you do get called, you still have a chance to win and double-through).

I'd see this working only in freeze-out tourneys where there's a lot at stake- and certainly not cheap re-buys. What does everyone think?
  • edited May 2009
    Great post Rich.

I have to agree with you for the most part but there a couple of things to consider. All poker players are the best players in the world when we know everyone's cards, it's very easy for us to say here that we can pass but if we're in that situation with only your own hole cards to look at it's never as simple. I have to say I fall into this camp, I've said in this thread that i'd contemplate folding but in truth I'd probably stick my money in more often than not.

Also, the villain is always the bigest variable in a situation like this. Do we know our villian? If not, it's passable, but what's stopping them from having JJ here? That's a hand a lot of people hate, right? So by playing in it this way they completely eliminate any tough decisions in the hand, which is makes it a feasible play to make in such an important tournament.

If we know our villian then it should be an easy decision. If we know he's capable of spazzing about with silly Ace rags then fist-pump call, ifwe know he's a super nit/really good player it can be laid down.

So in answer to your question, I would say it quite possibly is a profitable one, but you need to know your opponents stupidly well to be able to do it. You need to know that they can fold AK or QQ in that spot, and you need to know that they wont get annoyed when you keep constantly doing it and end up calling with ATC just becuase thats the only way to shut you up. And one final argument to that, if the blinds are 10/20 for the first level and you keep risking your 2k stack to win the 30 chips in the blinds and lets say for arguments sake an 80 chip raise, you're giving yourself an awful price to succeed. Finally, even if you pound that through for one whole level (by which time you're going to get caught very soon) you may have only increased your stack by 25% when you don't even hold 1% of the chips in play.
  • edited May 2009

".......And one final argument to that, if the blinds are 10/20 for the first level and you keep risking your 2k stack to win the 30 chips in the blinds and lets say for arguments sake an 80 chip raise, you're giving yourself an awful price to succeed. Finally, even if you pound that through for one whole level (by which time you're going to get caught very soon) you may have only increased your stack by 25% when you don't even hold 1% of the chips in play......"

I like that. 

And there you have it. Mega-high-risk v insanely low return = a bad thing. You are guaranteed to be looked up pretty soon, too.

There's no short cut to playing the game properly.
  • edited May 2009
    All poker players are the best players in the world when we know everyone's cards, it's very easy for us to say here that we can pass but if we're in that situation with only your own hole cards to look at it's never as simple. I have to say I fall into this camp, I've said in this thread that i'd contemplate folding but in truth I'd probably stick my money in more often than not. Posted by YoungUn
    To qualify this statement, read the following from Mr. Tikay himself!

In Response to Re: Tonight, I shall be mainly playing......:
    In Response to Re: Tonight, I shall be mainly playing...... : Bit of a train-wreck in the 9pm Open, when I exited in the, well, first hand. Holding J-J, I somehow got teased into going All-In Pre after a series of Raises & Re-Raises in front of me. I was up against A-A and......K-10. Posted by Tikay10
    :wink: I guess I should also qualify that by saing we don't know how the action went, and it was in a 7 minute blind level crapshoot.
  • edited May 2009

Lol, & true.

To be fair, you were a little economical with quoting my words.

I did add...

"....My bad play, no excuses......"

Because it WAS a bad play, whatever way you look at it.

As you rightly say, in not so many words, this was a "faster-structured" Event - a different kettle of fish altogether, in fact.

The Betting was weird, & was what caused my error. I was pretty certain that the Original Re-Raiser had Air - I play him a lot.  So I jammed to isolate him, only to find the Original Raiser calling all-in. (With Aces). Proof of my read was that my Re-Raiser Friend then CALLED all-in. With K-Ten.

Whatever way we cut this, it was stilll "unforced error" on my part.
  • edited May 2009
    What's the alias of this KT villain!? Sounds like a bit of a goldmine!

Yeah, you did say it was a bad play, but it wasn't supposed to be a cynical post in terms of your bad play, as much as it was that it's easy for us to say we can fold QQ in this situ when we know after the hand that villain had AA, and that when we're in that position it's not so easy to do what we say we should.

However, as I said, I didn't know how the action went and on being made aware of it I understand that this is a different set of circumstances than to that of the QQ in the OP. [/spamming]
  • edited May 2009
    Also, the villain is always the bigest variable in a situation like this. Do we know our villian? If not, it's passable, but what's stopping them from having JJ here? That's a hand a lot of people hate, right? So by playing in it this way they completely eliminate any tough decisions in the hand, which is makes it a feasible play to make in such an important tournament. If we know our villian then it should be an easy decision. If we know he's capable of spazzing about with silly Ace rags then fist-pump call, ifwe know he's a super nit/really good player it can be laid down.
    Posted by YoungUn
    Spot on YoungUn. If' I've got notes on said villain that leads me to believe he's doing this with almost ATC then there's a higher chance that I MIGHT just take a gamble in this spot. Having said that, I would still feel somewhat uncomfortable doing so though. 
  • edited June 2009
    I've pushed all in with KK first hand in a £11 bounty hunter. In the SB with a 100 raise before me. Get called by A 10 spades and survive to double up and take a bounty.
     Would I do it again? Dunno, unlikely because he only had to hit the ace to win and I was on tilt at the time, but I do know I wouldn't call an all in with KK. Looking back, winning that hand took me off tilt and I've begun to rebuild my bankroll by dropping down a level.
  • edited June 2009

1. Doubling up early on is nowhere near as important as doubling up late on.
    2. 47% the board will produce an overcard to QQ so the villain didn't necessarily need aces.

Calling with QQ was a poor decision in my opinion. Though we've all done it.

• edited June 2009
    In a small buy in upto £20 i'd say that u can get  them in with no knowledge of villain,the semi was £120 right? ifn that case i'm folding especially after a re raise min holding would be Ak and would i want to call for a race NO
  • edited June 2009

one word fold,fold,fold!
    oh thats three words

• edited June 2009
    one word fold,fold,fold! oh thats three words
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    not that i would fold,i'm not that good!
  • edited June 2009
    at first hand I'd fold, but a few mins in with a bit of a read on a player I might call, I'd want to at least see the flop before risking my whole stack... of course if I'm short stacked I'm just all in with QQ
  • edited June 2009

In velocity im all in with QQ there every time.

In a £120 sat, errr i fold faster than a very fast thing...

AS for Richard's comments about re-shoving all in early with silly hands... i've tried that, it doesn't work!

• edited June 2009
    with the percentage of nutters that would go all in first hand with k-j os ect --i would call an all in with qq but would definately not push first
  • edited June 2009

easy fold, just reminds me 1st hand in open sunday showdown, 1st hand 1st to act goes all in,i had note on him saying dumb idiot muppet,i had qq in bb i called bad call what he turn over? q3 off,i laugh until turn 3 river 3, and he had the cheek to say gg ul, lol u wonder how i get my chat banned?

• edited June 2009
    Usually when people make these huge early overshoves it's with mid pocket pairs or AK, which is pretty stupid as you're not often going to get called by worse. With KK and AA most people would 3 bet it. So against a likely range with no reads then I'd call. This isn't deep stack and there's no guarentee you'll have better oportunities later on.
  • edited June 2009
    In velocity im all in with QQ there every time.   In a £120 sat, errr i fold faster than a very fast thing... AS for Richard's comments about re-shoving all in early with silly hands... i've tried that, it doesn't work!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    alright hoggster, wonder how long b4 i get banned from forum lol take your bets
  • edited June 2009

Semi of vegas....I had QQ In big blind,Small blind raises to 90 (9 times the big blind) i call,flop comes Q68 he bets 120 i call,now i am putting him on big pair (Jakally) turn comes J ,he checks i check...(looking back i thought i was trapping him) river 5 , blank or so i thought.....i bet 400 he reriases the minimum, i go all in, he calls,........whats he got? 79 .......what can you say....i should have bet the turn...i should nt have gone all in...ouch....lol.......

cest la vie .....as they say......

• edited June 2009
    In a 120 entry tournament, I'm struggling to commit the whole stack on the first hand pre-flop with anything but aces. After the flop - who knows?
  • edited June 2009
    Call me crazy here, but the cards are the same whether blinds are 10/20 or 1000/2000 at the end of the day there were only 2 hands that are beating him and on a 6 handed table i like those odds... iv gone through long tournaments without getting Q's or better so if you ask me id of gone with the QQ, if he has raised then sum1 straight all in that stinks of not being wanted to be called anyway, sounds like a mid pair to me. So i side the hero on this 1!
  • edited June 2009
    Semi of vegas....I had QQ In big blind,Small blind raises to 90 (9 times the big blind) i call,flop comes Q68 he bets 120 i call,now i am putting him on big pair (Jakally) turn comes J ,he checks i check...(looking back i thought i was trapping him) river 5 , blank or so i thought.....i bet 400 he reriases the minimum, i go all in, he calls,........whats he got? 79 .......what can you say....i should have bet the turn...i should nt have gone all in...ouch....lol....... cest la vie .....as they say......
    Posted by djblacke04
    May i direct you to the badbeat thread :-) he he only joking!!
  • edited June 2009
    Depends on whether I'd had a bevy or not. Although you're unlikely to get a numpty playing  all-in with AK, AQ in the 1st round at this level it's not beyond the bounds of possibility.

You seem to get planty of them at lower levels.

Mind you, knowing my luck, if I'd had the aces I would have been turned over!

ha ha ha