You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ENGLAND STARTING X1

edited April 2010 in The Shed

Nearly world cup fever who would be your starting line up v USA ?
And what 5th forward should go to S/A.?rooney crouch and defoe certs...

Comments

• edited April 2010

GREEN,COLE,UPSON,TERRY,JOHNSON,GERRARD,LAMPS,YOUNG,COLE,ROONEY,CROUCH.

• edited April 2010
    Zamora and Bent.
  • edited April 2010
    forget 5th forward on current form Zamora should be starting!
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: ENGLAND STARTING X1:
    forget 5th forward on current form Zamora should be starting!
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    Can`t disagree Mr Miyagi. Would be a statement of intent if Capello started with Zamora AND Bent up front with Rooney "in the hole".
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: ENGLAND STARTING X1 : Can`t disagree Mr Miyagi. Would be a statement of intent if Capello started with Zamora AND Bent up front with Rooney "in the hole".
    Posted by emilyegg
    Which should not be confused with the famous Golfing and John Terry shouts of "Get in the hole"
  • edited April 2010
    JAMES,JOHNSON,FERDINAND,TERRY,COLE,CARRICK,GERRARD,LENNON,LAMPARD,ROONEY,CROUCH.

IF COLE AND LENNON ARENT FIT THE WARNOCK AND WALCOTT INSTEAD
  • edited April 2010
    ALL OF THOSE ON THE LIST ARENT WORLD CUP STANDARD PLAYERS WE HAVE 1 WORLD CLASS FORWARD ROONEY AND 2 INTERNATIONAL STANDARD DEFOE AND CROUCH UNLESS ALL 3 GET INJURED THERE IS NO POINT TAKING ANY OF THE OTHERS WE SHOULD PACK THE SQUAD WITH CREATIVE IMPACT PLAYERS LIKE WALCOTT,JOE COLE,SWP,YOUNG,MILNER,DOWNING,DUNN AND BENTLY AND THE BEST LEAD PROTECTING TYPES LIKE BARRY AND RODWELL
  • edited April 2010
    plz dont pick crouch hes been terrible for spurs this season, id play walcott upfront with rooney, lennon on right, that would scare the life out of them foreign defenders,
  • edited April 2010

Hart, Johnson, Ferdinand, Terry, A Cole, Lennon, Gerrard, Barry, J Cole, Rooney, Davis.

I think all our strikers other than Rooney are hit and hopers, don't think any of them are capable of scoring enough goals so thats why I would play a typical english striker like Davis, something different, he would be a real handful for any defence. 

My biggest worry apart from most of the team being injured/out of form is Green in goal, am I the only one who thinks he is probably the weakest english keeper in the prem.

• edited April 2010
    Hart, Johnson, Ferdinand, Terry, A Cole, Lennon, Gerrard, Barry, J Cole, Rooney, Davis. I think all our strikers other than Rooney are hit and hopers, don't think any of them are capable of scoring enough goals so thats why I would play a typical english striker like Davis, something different, he would be a real handful for any defence.  My biggest worry apart from most of the team being injured/out of form is Green in goal, am I the only one who thinks he is probably the weakest english keeper in the prem.
    Posted by Patching99
    Have to dis agree with you on green, he stop ratio is ahead of czech and given, and think he will be a key part in our final progress.,
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: ENGLAND STARTING X1 : Have to dis agree with you on green, he stop ratio is ahead of czech and given, and think he will be a key part in our final progress.,
    Posted by jubbley
    I really do hope you are right...  He might have the best save ratio but thats only cause he gets peppered.  I just think he doesn't save all the ones he should and is a liability at international level.
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: ENGLAND STARTING X1 : Can`t disagree Mr Miyagi. Would be a statement of intent if Capello started with Zamora AND Bent up front with Rooney "in the hole".
    Posted by emilyegg
    Yes, it would be a statement of intent to get laughed off the pitch by the other sides.

There is a relatively small (but extremely significant) difference between "domestic" and "international" class:

Robbie Fowler, Ian Wright, Andy Cole, Kevin Phillips = Domestic Class

Gary Linekar, Alan Shearer, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney = International Class

Bent and Zamora are unquestionably in the former category.

• edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: ENGLAND STARTING X1 : Yes, it would be a statement of intent to get laughed off the pitch by the other sides. There is a relatively small (but extremely significant) difference between "domestic" and "international" class: Robbie Fowler, Ian Wright, Andy Cole, Kevin Phillips = Domestic Class Gary Linekar, Alan Shearer, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney = International Class Bent and Zamora are unquestionably in the former category.
    Posted by JingleMa
    LOL are you sure? Sorry Mr Capello. The only jingling is in your head, next to the exotic music section.
  • edited April 2010
    Michael Owen.....International Class?  PMSL

He was a world class wage thief at Newcastle, I will give you that.

As "natural" strikers go, I wouldn`t let Owen clean Ian Wrights boots.
  • edited April 2010
    Michael Owen.....International Class?  PMSL He was a world class wage thief at Newcastle, I will give you that. As "natural" strikers go, I wouldn`t let Owen clean Ian Wrights boots.
    Posted by emilyegg
    That's exactly it. Domestically, there is very little to choose between these players. In fact, the "domestic class" players may often have better stats when compared domestically to the "international class" players.

But it's that small step up which is crucial at international level and this is what seperates the good from the great. You could see it every time Wright put on an England shirt that he just could not step up to that level, which Owen did so many times for his country.
  • edited April 2010

Crouch is a Donkey and I would be surprised if Heskey or Davies make the squad too. The form strikers are Bent and Zamora.

With regards to Owen and Wright, the two have had very different football upbringings.

Ian Wright never came into the game until a late age, whilst Owen was a superkid so to speak.

You don`t seem to be a big Ian Wright fan...but you cant be a Spurs fan or a Liverpool or Man U fan judging by your comments.

• edited April 2010
    Hart, johnson, ferdinand, terry, cole, lennon, gerrard, barry, young, rooney and crouch. Crouchy is a dead cert without him no1 will get the goals, hes a lean mean scoring machine for england!
  • edited April 2010

Paul Robinson

Gary Neville
    John Terry
    Rio Ferdinand
    Ashley Cole

Michael Carrick
    Frank Lampard
    Steven Gerrard

Joe Cole
    Wayne Rooney
    Theo Walcott

That team would win the world cup!!

• edited April 2010
                           James

Johnson     Terry     Ferdinand    A. Cole 

Barry

Walcott    Lampard    Gerrard

Rooney   Heskey

That would be my line up, Heskey clearly has to go, and I'd put Cole in as backup.
  • edited April 2010
    jingle ma you 100% correct with your domestic/international class arguement. there a list a mile long of great league players who just couldnt do it at england level hoddle and barnes spring to mind.
    dudeskin m8 hesky doesnt even fall into either of those catagories.
    of our current sguad rooney the only one whos really cut it at a major tourniment (euro 2004) the others with the possible exception of ferdinand have never set the internetional scene on fire.
    as for winning it we need our first eleven fully fit for all the games as behind that we are weak at this level
  • edited April 2010

J.Hart

G.Johnson  R.Ferdinand  J.Terry  A.Cole

G.Barry
             F.Lampard        S.Gerrard

T.Walcott                       J.Cole
                         W.Rooney

That would be my starting line up, as for strikers to bring i would take Crouch, Defoe and hmm i dunno prob Bent, but thats only because owen is injured and abongalhor hasnt had a great season.

But im more injterested to see what midfielders go to the world cup, we have a great choice between Milner, SWP, A,Young, Carrick, Lennon, Bently Etc...
  • edited April 2010
    Bent up front with Rooney "in the hole".
    That should read
    Rooney up front with BENT IN A HOLE,

A big one six foot deep.

He might score a few for Sunderland, but he
    does nothing for the creation of goals.

Bring back Frank Worthington...Proper CLASS....
  • edited April 2010
                           Bywater

Johnson     Terry     Ferdinand     A.Cole

Walcott     Lampard     Barry     Gerrard

Rooney     Zamora
  • edited April 2010
    Hi Guys,
    One thing all of you have not thought about is,
    you must look at the players who took part in the qualification squads as i dont believe that Capello will do a crazy ivan and choose someone out of left field if they are all fit.
    It is not just if they are in form, it is a question of how Capello sees the formation and playing style of the team.

col
  • edited April 2010
                     Green

Johnson Terry Ferdinand A.Cole

Lampard     Barry    Gerrard

Lennon         Milner

Rooney

• edited April 2010
    HATE TO DERAIL THE ZAMORA BAND WAGON BUT HES ONLY SCORED 8 LEAGUE GOALS THIS SEASON AND ONE OF THOSE HIT HIM UP THE @RSE AND DEFLECTED IN!!
  • edited April 2010
    We will see what Capello thinks very soon.
  • edited April 2010
                        Hart

Johnson  Terry  Ferdinand  A.Cole

Lennon  Lampard  Gerrard  J.Cole

Rooney

Defoe

Goalkeeper is the toughest decision for me. Hart lacks experience but he's been in the best form of all the candidates. I don't trust James, he's prone to making a gaffe and it would be awful to get knocked out of the world cup due to one of them. Robinson has improved as the season has passed but he's another who can't be trusted. Rob Green is average, worth considering bringing on for a penalty shootout though.  What we should do is kidnap Buffon and transfer David James' face onto him, then we'll have no worries. ;-)

• edited April 2010
                                                   James

Johnson    Ferdinand   Terry     Cole

Milner             Gerrard          Lampard         Joe Cole

Defoe        Rooney
  • edited April 2010
                                    1 SHILTON
      2 WHITWORTH  4 CHARLTON 5 TERRY 3 SANSON
      6 HODDLE  7 WELLER   8 BECKHAM  11 WORTHINGTON                              
                            9 KEEGAN 10 ROONEY

I must admit I`m slightly biased towards:- 

LEICESTER  CITY  PLAYERS......