You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Don't want to do this anymore......................

13»

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Hiya Alan,

I defiantly know what you mean about a large number of players seem to have alot of faith in these lets say 'marginal' hands in the mtts recently but then again i play mainly the 3.30-5.50 deepstacks so your bound to get a few more chancers. And like you i also believe it can be a very good thing (like in cash games which i have started playing more because unlike you i cant afford to keep going in the MTTs without making some money on the cash tables to fund them through the bad spells) But like you say in MTTs it is only a matter of time until one of them gets you.

I never really thought of the H.O.M before, i suppose it does make some sense i no for a fact a few people i no personally used it as a bible when they first started playing games on here. But then again on the other hand i wouldnt really want to get rid of these players as more times than not you will beat these hands i no how frustrating it gets when your playing only MTTs as this is all i used to play.

I wont try giving you advice on any of this because lets be honest there is nothing i can tell you that you don't no your a much better and experienced player than me. If you spot one of these H.O.M players on your table though can you not just steer clear or keep the pot as small as possible against these? 

Maybe its just me but is this not a chance you can take as a new challenge as you have been very succesfull,I have no doubt you are talented enough to find a way to maximise the flaws in these players game to your advantage?  

Maybe im way off the mark mate? just thinking out loud lol and would like you to stay on the site as i learnt alot from watching your tournament play when i was new to the site hope things pick up and see you on the tables soon 

Rob
  • edited May 2010
    Low buy-in rebuys are the way most sites have gone over recent years. They give value to the low stakes player because they generate large prize pools relative to the initial stake. They give value to the higher stakes players too for the same reason. They are a source of increased profit for the site because they will increase field sizes dramatically, although generally, no extra rake is charged on rebuys and add-ons. The possible downside is that tournaments will last longer.

Rob, you are right. The clever way is to learn to live with what we have, and better it.......... I just haven't worked out how.
  • edited May 2010

Alan - check your PM's please.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Don't want to do this anymore......................:
    Alan - check your PM's please.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Done!

• edited May 2010
    i once won a rebuy without rebuying

...that has nothing to do with anything i know.

I dont know why people complain about sky.Having tried a few other sites i cant see a difference no matter where i play.Also,if you have played the game for 40 years,surely you are due a very bad run?

i also cant see a difference in the skill of players.You get silly sausages shoving/calling all ins with rubbish everywhere.Maybe this is a case of being to good for the players you play against.I play with friends who are rubbish sometimes and they dont understand when i am making moves or bluffing and it very frustrating when you overplay thinking they could be making a move when in fact they dont even know what a bluff is.
  • edited May 2010
    i once won a rebuy without rebuying ...that has nothing to do with anything i know. I dont know why people complain about sky.Having tried a few other sites i cant see a difference no matter where i play.Also,if you have played the game for 40 years,surely you are due a very bad run? i also cant see a difference in the skill of players.You get silly sausages shoving/calling all ins with rubbish everywhere.Maybe this is a case of being to good for the players you play against.I play with friends who are rubbish sometimes and they dont understand when i am making moves or bluffing and it very frustrating when you overplay thinking they could be making a move when in fact they dont even know what a bluff is.
    Posted by namesb0nd

Playing rebuys and not rebuying is the optimum. My biggest ever win was a $109 rebuy and I didn't rebuy, I did take the add-on though. Rebuys give the opportunity to continue if you wish and if you can afford to. Entering an event and going bust after a short time is frustrating and rebuys give everyone another chance. They also increase the prize pool. Rebuys are not to everyone's taste but they are generally the biggest fields in online poker across all sites and so their popularity is without doubt.

As for being due a bad run, I can assure you I've had plenty, but you might be right. As I stated it's not about losing money it's the way it seems to happen at the moment on here. Negotiating the multiple contested pots is the problem.
  • edited May 2010
    I think this thread has been a really good read though as Alan and Tikay have said it has wandered from its original path and concept from time to time.

I think what has been said on here about the hot-o-meter affecting players decisions is totally true. Out of curiosity when I first signed up here I used it a couple of times as I hadn't come across anything like it before. As Tikay has said, I'm not sure how many players playing at the £10 and upwards stakes would use it but at the bottom limits yes, I do think that there are a significant number of players on here who do base their play on the info it gives.

I used it out of curiosity and to begin with ignored its Q7 spades 'RED HOT' and played my own game only to see these type of cards hit time and again flopping anything from 2 pairs to a fullhouse. I actually started to play these hands (for a while) and saw them kill better hands time after time.

Variance does happen and it hurts when you're on the wrong end of it but as others have mentioned maybe you should sleep on it Al and maybe give it another go in the future.
  • edited May 2010
    I've been trying to fathom for some time now why players are putting so much blind faith in poor hands and the H-O-M is the only reason I can come up with. Maybe the game changed whilst I was sleeping and the modern game is multi-way pots with AA K7 Q6 and 89. Maybe a cavalry charge is the modern way. Would it help if I started drinking when I play ........... I wonder sometimes.
    Posted by elsadog
    we are living in a throw away society,and that includes,for some,throwing money away..i think its been debated before about people who can afford to lose large wads of money and just take it in their stride....these people may never go on to win any poker tourney,but they can and do leave  a trail of destruction behind them..a nutcase with a large amount of money behind them is dangerous,Bush and Bin Laden spring to mind.
  • edited May 2010
    Just a thought wouldn't Rebuys and Add-Ons just give the people a second chance to get lucky against you or if its unlimited Rebuys for the first few levels its will be very dangerous playing any hands first few levels? which i suppose is the best way to play the first few levels in these tournaments very tight? but if your just going to tighten up and let these guys knock each other out then you wont need a Rebuy yourself very often? 

A good idea for boosting numbers though. Im personally not a huge fan but thats probably because ive only played around 15 of them, im sure i would get used to them, and would boost prize pools.

Really liking the debate on this thread a bit of a shame it lost its way for part of it.