You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Staking deals, the lowdown,

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi,
So I have been offered a staking deal but dont know if it is a good one. 

Anyone here know much about em who could offer some advice in pm?

Comments

• edited May 2010

I will advise you (or anyone else) VERY STRONGLY not to get involved in Staking, Mr Wh1te.

I cannot begin to tell you the misery & financial loss I've seen it cause recently.

It's borrowing money forward to play poker, (in return for a share of your "winnings") & it invariably goes wrong, with dire consequences. If you are a successful/profitable player you don't need it, & if you are a losing player, well being up to your neck in MU must be hell on earth.
  • edited May 2010
    hmm, the voice of experience

how about if you are a winning player but have had to withdraw your BR to pay for wedding things?  any ideas to get back on track?
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Staking deals, the lowdown,:
    hmm, the voice of experience how about if you are a winning player but have had to withdraw your BR to pay for wedding things?  any ideas to get back on track?
    Posted by MrWh1te

Make sure all terms are set out clearly, and do yourself a favour and do a bink and buy yourself out asap. The other person has got to have a lot of confidence in you!
  • edited May 2010
    its on another forum, one that is a close knit bunch of winning players.

he watched me play and my stats hold up

but im not sure if the offer is a good one

and TK definetly has me thinking now!
  • edited May 2010
    its on another forum, one that is a close knit bunch of winning players. he watched me play and my stats hold up but im not sure if the offer is a good one and TK definetly has me thinking now!
    Posted by MrWh1te
    Yes, there are numerous Sites that are making a good living out of Staking poker players.
  • edited May 2010
    whilst i take your point tikay, and am now even more undecided, about this site, i can guarentee 100000000% that it is not one that makes a living out of staking.

I know, because i created it.  and owned it until i handed it over to some more capable guys who have the time to run it better

just wanted to clarify that, though i accept it doesnt change your view
  • edited May 2010
    My advice, for what it's worth is-- Take Tikay's word for it--- If you are a winning player, go down the stakes and build a new roll for yourself--- it's extremely hard to build a roll with someone else taking any percentage of your winnings--- ie, slippery slope time
  • edited May 2010
    yeah oynutter

its impossible to ignore the advice of someone with so much personal experience.

hard!
  • edited May 2010
    whilst i take your point tikay, and am now even more undecided, about this site, i can guarentee 100000000% that it is not one that makes a living out of staking. I know, because i created it.  and owned it until i handed it over to some more capable guys who have the time to run it better just wanted to clarify that, though i accept it doesnt change your view
    Posted by MrWh1te
    Thank you, but don't worry, nothing on God's earth will ever make me change my view on Staking. I have never been staked, God forbid, or wanted to be, but I've seen the results of it when it gets out of hand. The addiction to play Poker should never come to that.

I do confess that I got commercially involved in staking players a few years back, something I much regret now. But I did not know then what I know now.

• edited May 2010
    My advice, for what it's worth is-- Take Tikay's word for it--- If you are a winning player, go down the stakes and build a new roll for yourself--- it's extremely hard to build a roll with someone else taking any percentage of your winnings--- ie, slippery slope time
    Posted by oynutter
    QFT
  • edited May 2010
    I have seen a thread where Tikay went into detail about staking misery, and it all makes sense. A good player can start with 20 quid mate, its only a few weeks of being poor, you will be back, and you will be keeping all your winnings, with no worries and by playing your own choice of game when you want to
  • edited May 2010
    I have seen a thread where Tikay went into detail about staking misery, and it all makes sense. A good player can start with 20 quid mate, its only a few weeks of being poor, you will be back, and you will be keeping all your winnings, with no worries and by playing your own choice of game when you want to
    Posted by oynutter
    A great player can start with £1.  Ahem.
  • edited May 2010
    I would say that it is far, far, far better to just drop down to the bare minimum level you can afford and seriously grind it out for a couple of months.

If you are a winning player, then you will be back to your natural level in no time.

A little while ago I had to spend my total roll, both live and online, on real life stuff...it was only gonna be for a month while some more liquid cash came in, but still pretty depressing and it   left me with a total bare minimum roll and I was grinding it out on 20nl.

So in that month I managed to crush every level and I was back to 100/200nl again just by grinding some serious hands. 
  • edited May 2010
    your a good player though scotty
    im just a fish who feeds on smaller fish :p

points all taken though guys thats for the time to reply
  • edited May 2010
    your a good player though scotty im just a fish who feeds on smaller fish :p points all taken though guys thats for the time to reply
    Posted by MrWh1te
    im a massive fish in the grand scheme of things tho.

you just have to pick your spots and really grind out hands. 
  • edited May 2010
    I don't see a problem with some staking IF all parties enter the deal with full transparency and trust.  I think MrWhite is talking about a friendly stake with known stakers rather than a response to a staking beg.  As long as there's trust it all boils down to maths.

You have £20 and can afford to play 1p/2p nl with 10 buyins.
    or
    You have £300 and can afford to play 15p/30p nl with 10 buyins.

Let's say you can play some and can beat £2nl for 14bb/100 and beat £30 nl for 8bb/100

after 5000 hands you have won £14 at £2nl but £120 at £30nl (£60 after stakee paid back.)

As long as you're not responsible for any big losses surely the staking option is better every time?

Basically the staker needs to know the stakee can play and win...... then both parties should be happy (as long as the stakee doesnt do anything immoral.) 
  • edited May 2010
    you can't build a bankroll with half your profit being someone elses--- and what happens when you lose a few days in a row--- you will spend a week playing for flup all mate
  • edited May 2010
    you can't build a bankroll with half your profit being someone elses--- and what happens when you lose a few days in a row--- you will spend a week playing for flup all mate
    Posted by oynutter
    I take it you didn't read my post on the maths?
  • edited May 2010
    I read your post--if -- if---if ---innit--- "as long as you are not responsible for any big losses"---- how many poker players are not responsible for any big losses then?
  • edited May 2010
    how many poker players are not responsible for any big losses then?
    Posted by oynutter
    Quite often the ones playing with a stake lol
  • edited May 2010
    mmm-- much harder to play with scared money too innit--- have you tried being staked yourself cottlad?
  • edited May 2010
    I've never had the need..... yet...... but if i did i would certainly consider it
  • edited May 2010
    But if your able to beat 30nl or whatever... in the long run its mathematically more viable to just build your bankroll yourself until you have enough to play at 30nl.

Ok mr white...

Short term, from staking you earn more money... a quick fix to your financial problem.
    Long term, you earn more grinding out your own bank roll.

So I guess it depends how long you would be staked for?
  • edited May 2010
    wouldnt do it MrWhite as my ma always says if you aint got the money dont spend it.
  • edited May 2010
    wouldnt do it MrWhite as my ma always says if you aint got the money dont spend it.
    Posted by Dazler
    Um..... that's why he's considering stakeage.....so someone else can spend it ......... /facepalm
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Staking deals, the lowdown, : Um..... that's why he's considering stakeage.....so someone else can spend it ......... /facepalm
    Posted by cottlad
    not his money though which is my point hes taking his out for a wedding. daaa
  • edited May 2010
    your point is that he's not spending his own money?  Um....... yup, correct
  • edited May 2010
    your point is that he's not spending his own money?  Um....... yup, correct
    Posted by cottlad
    oh please do me a favour pfffffffff going on a pointless rant now, he should play his own money and not someone elses full stop ok with you....................
  • edited May 2010
    staking is bad news whatever way you look at it--someone gets half your profit if you win---and all your profit next time if you lose---How can it be a good idea???----not rocket science, as mr ten table say's
  • edited May 2010
    staking is bad news whatever way you look at it--someone gets half your profit if you win---and all your profit next time if you lose---How can it be a good idea???----not rocket science, as mr ten table say's
    Posted by oynutter
    lol FLOPWIT STUPID!!!!!