You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Football Manager of the Year

edited May 2010 in The Shed
Cant be anyone else but Roy.
    WD Chelsea so relieved Man U aren't champions again 

Comments

• edited May 2010

this season has been a good one my team  CHELSEA win premiership in style can't wait for next season but for now who would you say deserves MANAGER of the YEAR

I should go for our manager but i think Roy Hodgson has done a great job this season at Fulham so he gets my vote
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Premiership Manager of the Year:
        this season has been a good one my team  CHELSEA win premiership in style can't wait for next season but for now who would you say deserves MANAGER of the YEAR   I should go for our manager but i think Roy Hodgson has done a great job this season at Fulham so he gets my vote
    Posted by DTWBANDIT
    +1. Hodgson gets my vote. Congrats to Chelsea they deserved it and were the best team.
  • edited May 2010
    I'd like to say Hodgson too, but in my opinion it would be unfair not to give it to Ancelotti. Just because he is at a bigger club.  He has won the league and cup. they scored more than anyone else by miles.

And it wasn't as though they were a sure thing for the title either, people were writing them off saying the team was too old and especailly during the Terry-Bridge thing. 

• edited May 2010
    Roy Hodgson all the way for me.

I agree that winning the league (and probable cup double) is no easy feat particularly for a foreign manager in his first season but what Hodgson has done at Fulham with pretty much no budget is nothing short of amazing.

For some reason the Barclays panel gave their award to Redknapp which I totally disagree with. Yes they've cracked the top 4 but to be fair they've spent insane amounts of money chasing this for years now & imo both Hodgson & Ancelotti deserve it much more than 'Arry boy.
  • edited May 2010
    Roy Hodgson. End of Thread.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Premiership Manager of the Year:
    Roy Hodgson all the way for me. I agree that winning the league (and probable cup double) is no easy feat particularly for a foreign manager in his first season but what Hodgson has done at Fulham with pretty much no budget is nothing short of amazing. For some reason the Barclays panel gave their award to Redknapp which I totally disagree with. Yes they've cracked the top 4 but to be fair they've spent insane amounts of money chasing this for years now & imo both Hodgson & Ancelotti deserve it much more than 'Arry boy.
    Posted by silentbob
       Their argument is based on prem results only i think and doesn't take into account results in Europe, therefore as Fulham are midtable Harry gets the nod from where Spurs were last season to this season.However based on their own criteria, i can't see why Ancelotti wasn't given the award, surely winning the Prem in his first season deserves recognition. Malouda is unrecognisable this season and hes got the sulk and Diddier playing in the same team, something the pundits said wouldn't work. 103 goals scored lol wot more do they want ?  
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Premiership Manager of the Year :    Their argument is based on prem results only i think and doesn't take into account results in Europe, therefore as Fulham are midtable Harry gets the nod from where Spurs were last season to this season.However based on their own criteria, i can't see why Ancelotti wasn't given the award, surely winning the Prem in his first season deserves recognition. Malouda is unrecognisable this season and hes got the sulk and Diddier playing in the same team, something the pundits said wouldn't work. 103 goals scored lol wot more do they want ?   
    Posted by -TARAS-
    Its only about 90 if you take away the goals that were scored from an offside position

Gareth

(yes im a bitter manu fan lol)
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Premiership Manager of the Year : Its only about 90 if you take away the goals that were scored from an offside position Gareth (yes im a bitter manu fan lol)
    Posted by 35suited
    lol, ok but yor 2nd top goal scorer this season with Berb was og. I might be wrong so don't get too upset as you're prob a bit moody at mo.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Premiership Manager of the Year : lol, ok but yor 2nd top goal scorer this season with Berb was og. I might be wrong so don't get too upset as you're prob a bit moody at mo.
    Posted by -TARAS-
    Nah im over it already :) bring on the world cup!!!!

I knew wigan would never get a result today so been resigned to the fact for a while now, if you put a team under constanst pressure they are gunan crack and score own goals.

Who got your player of the season this year? was it Steven Gerrard?? ;)
  • edited May 2010
    I'd like to say Hodgson too, but in my opinion it would be unfair not to give it to Ancelotti. Just because he is at a bigger club.  He has won the league and CUP. they scored more than anyone else by miles. And it wasn't as though they were a sure thing for the title either, people were writing them off saying the team was too old and especailly during the Terry-Bridge thing. 
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    DID I MISS SOMETHING
  • edited May 2010
    There's difference to Manager of the Year and Premiership Manager of the Year in my opinion. If we're talking about the former it's 100% Roy Hodgson...if we're talking about the manager for what they've achieved in the Premiership this season, it's Ancelotti followed by Redknapp and McLeish!
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Premiership Manager of the Year :    Their argument is based on prem results only i think and doesn't take into account results in Europe, therefore as Fulham are midtable Harry gets the nod from where Spurs were last season to this season.However based on their own criteria, i can't see why Ancelotti wasn't given the award, surely winning the Prem in his first season deserves recognition. Malouda is unrecognisable this season and hes got the sulk and Diddier playing in the same team, something the pundits said wouldn't work. 103 goals scored lol wot more do they want ?   
    Posted by -TARAS-
    Didn't realise that was their criteria but yeah, totally agree that Ancelotti should've taken it over Redknapp in that case.

Still think Hodgson should take the award still (can't remember if it's LMA or some other organisation that gives it out)
  • edited May 2010
    Posted by emilyegg

why end of thread?
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Premiership Manager of the Year : Nah im over it already :) bring on the world cup!!!! I knew wigan would never get a result today so been resigned to the fact for a while now, if you put a team under constanst pressure they are gunan crack and score own goals. Who got your player of the season this year? was it Steven Gerrard?? ;)
    Posted by 35suited

hiya m8 player of the season for me would be between Lampard / Rooney & Drogba
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Premiership Manager of the Year :  hiya m8 player of the season for me would be between Lampard / Rooney & Drogba
    Posted by DTWBANDIT
    No was asking who got chelseas player of the season and joking baout gerrard after his performance last week
  • edited May 2010

Isnt it "Premiership" manager of the year? ...Does that mean you judge on performance in the premiership? or only premiership managers can be nominated?

If all competitions are taking into consideration, then Roy Hodgson wins....obviously....

BUT

Fulham have had a very average season, even by their standards...

Premiership wise, 3 horse race, Ancelotti, Harry and Mcleish......

3 way tie for me.
  • edited May 2010
    Isnt it "Premiership" manager of the year? ...Does that mean you judge on performance in the premiership? or only premiership managers can be nominated? If all competitions are taking into consideration, then Roy Hodgson wins....obviously.... BUT Fulham have had a very average season, even by their standards... Premiership wise, 3 horse race, Ancelotti, Harry and Mcleish...... 3 way tie for me.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Good point m8 will edit it now  Mike
  • edited May 2010
    Isnt it "Premiership" manager of the year? ...Does that mean you judge on performance in the premiership? or only premiership managers can be nominated? If all competitions are taking into consideration, then Roy Hodgson wins....obviously.... BUT Fulham have had a very average season, even by their standards... Premiership wise, 3 horse race, Ancelotti, Harry and Mcleish...... 3 way tie for me.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Exactly the point I was making - Hodgson should win with Ian Holloway coming second!
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Premiership Manager of the Year : Nah im over it already :) bring on the world cup!!!! I knew wigan would never get a result today so been resigned to the fact for a while now, if you put a team under constanst pressure they are gunan crack and score own goals. Who got your player of the season this year? was it Steven Gerrard?? ;)
    Posted by 35suited
    lol Steven Gerrard ? As a Palace fan i wd vote our GK Speroni. From the prem it wd be Shrek as he carried Man U.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Premiership Manager of the Year : DID I MISS SOMETHING
    Posted by BADBOY985

LOL. I noticed that earlier and thought that i'd missed something too.

GO ON AVRAM LOL.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Premiership Manager of the Year :   why end of thread?
    Posted by DTWBANDIT
    Sorry Eric........

Why don't you throw up a "Most Improved Manager in the last 12 Months" thread?

That would be a fresh and contemporary idea.
  • edited May 2010
    Posted by emilyegg
    What I meant by saying that Eric, was that I cannot see past Roy Hodgson for the award.

Apologies for confusing you so easily.
  • edited May 2010
    Can i just say Martin Oneil deserves a mention, Villa came up short this last month or so but were having a great run til then
  • edited May 2010
    Martin O Neil doesn't deserve a mention.....Villa have had an average/poor season......

You need to put in perspective the managers achievements....

Was it harder for Chelsea to win the league, than it was Spurs to come 4th? Or Birmingham 9th? Or Fulham to make the Euro final?

Deffo the latter......

and ERIC???

• edited May 2010
    I am betting on Acelotti.

Fulham have done well in the Europa Cup.

but you have to look at the league too, they come 12th!  my maths isnt that good but that isnt even in the top half is it?
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Premiership Manager of the Year : What I meant by saying that Eric, was that I cannot see past Roy Hodgson for the award. Apologies for confusing you so easily.
    Posted by emilyegg

water off a ducks back
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Premiership Manager of the Year : Sorry Eric........ Why don't you throw up a "Most Improved Manager in the last 12 Months" thread? That would be a fresh and contemporary idea.
    Posted by emilyegg

hahahahaha you should be on the stage m8
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Premiership Manager of the Year : Exactly the point I was making - Hodgson should win with Ian Holloway coming second!
    Posted by Action_Dan
    If you are going into the Championship then
    NIGEL PEARSON has done much better than
    Ian Holloway.Promoted last season then in the
    play offs this season beating Blackpool in the
    process.
    LEICESTER FOR THE PREMIER LEAGUE...
    COME ON THE FOXES....

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Premiership Manager of the Year : If you are going into the Championship then NIGEL PEARSON has done much better than Ian Holloway.Promoted last season then in the play offs this season beating Blackpool in the process. LEICESTER FOR THE PREMIER LEAGUE... COME ON THE FOXES....
    Posted by STEVEMAX
    Haha funny you mention that because originally had Nigel Pearson instead - always been impressed with him even during his brief spells at Newcastle and Southampton! He's utilized the loan system to great effect and if you don't make it this season, you must be one of the favourites for promotion next year as long as you can keep hold of him...
  • edited May 2010
    Landslide win for, erm...........Roy Hodgson.

Received record number of votes.