You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Skill and Luck or Skill and Chance?

2»

Comments

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Skill and Luck or Skill and Chance?:
    In Response to Re: Skill and Luck or Skill and Chance? : Hang on... surely it is not a fact that there will be someone who will lose 1 million coin flips in a row, it will merely just be a possibility?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    It's a fact that in an infinate universe every possibility would play out and therefoe yes, in theory over an infinate amount of attempts 1 million coin flips would go that way but this is all getting silly now lol

The question of the thread is skill and luck or skill and chance so if anyone would like to get back to that lol

P.S i still maintain that luck and chance are terms meaning the same thing in the context of this :)
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Skill and Luck or Skill and Chance? : It's a fact that in an infinate universe every possibility would play out and therefoe yes, in theory over an infinate amount of attempts 1 million coin flips would go that way but this is all getting silly now lol The question of the thread is skill and luck or skill and chance so if anyone would like to get back to that lol P.S i still maintain that luck and chance are terms meaning the same thing in the context of this :)
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    But surely that is just equating possibility with inevitability? If every possibility would play out then wouldn't one of those possibilities be that nothing plays out?
  • edited May 2010

blackfish, are you a professional or an amateur spam generator?

regards
    aussie09

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Skill and Luck or Skill and Chance? : But surely that is just equating possibility with inevitability? If every possibility would play out then wouldn't one of those possibilities be that nothing plays out?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    If only you could ask one of the infinite number of other BlackFish3's that are typing in other Sky Poker forums elsewhere in the universe - one of them is bound to known the answer.
  • edited May 2010
    blackfish, are you a professional or an amateur spam generator? regards aussie09
    Posted by aussie09
    why did you post that?
  • edited May 2010
      One of the most important issues when it comes down to the debate over skill and luck is how you define the game itself. If you just consider poker to be a card game then it is heavily skewed in the favour of the luckiest player will win. But if you consider the fact that poker is in fact a game of the mind played with cards then the skill factor will begin to shine through.  When you play the game the skill comes from knowing which hands to play and from what position,when to bet and when to fold.You find out who you can outplay and who has the advantage over you.  On the table screen there are buttons that define the type of player that you are and whether you rely on your skill or just luck. The raise/bet/fold buttons are used by the more skillful players whereas overuse of the call button is a player who is relying on being lucky.   Luck only comes to the forefront when the hand goes to showdown and you see who has the best hand but your skill factor should determine which hands you let get this far  In the short term any player is capable of getting the better of any other player but in the long term superior skill will come through and win.  So in my opinion it is a game of skill when you look at it in the long term and not just over one session or one week.But unfortunately most of us are unable to view it long term and only see short term profits or losses to judge our own game.
    Posted by Talon

I can agree up to a point...! I think in the live games where you can see the other players ( even touch them, shoulder to shoulder I mean, honest ) you can get more of a feel of/for the game,but this is fantasy poker to a certain extent and  from what I've seen here,and on Sky Poker TV ( and a little experience myself ) so far I have not been privvy to anything, that can be regarded as skill,and it is this format I'm speaking about.      Kind regards