You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat

Coin tossing.... people often say that in the long run it will return to equal ... that is simply not correct ... it might, but it is increasingly unlikely as the number of coin tosses increases

what is correct is that the variance percentage of all coin tosses from a half chance set of results will most likely reduce in the long term, nevertheless the variance number will most likely be greater.

if you are relying on this falsehood to restore your bank roll, it won't.  however what will almost inevitably happen is that with more events the variance number will be disguised by a lowering variance percentage.  so you will feel better even though you're probably no better off.

regards
aussie09

Comments

• edited May 2010
    And that concludes todays lesson on tossing :)
  • edited May 2010
    my head is sore :0(
  • edited May 2010
    I think you're secretly an expert to$$er. Don't know about the rest but I think I'm impressed. ;O)
  • edited May 2010
    Dear professor aussie09 is their any chance of you doing some sort of graph so us normal folk can understand your obviously brilliant theory!  Thank you. :)
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number:
    Coin tossing.... people often say that in the long run it will return to equal ... that is simply not correct ... it might, but it is increasingly unlikely as the number of coin tosses increases what is correct is that the variance percentage of all coin tosses from a half chance set of results will most likely reduce in the long term, nevertheless the variance number will most likely be greater. if you are relying on this falsehood to restore your bank roll, it won't.  however what will almost inevitably happen is that with more events the variance number will be disguised by a lowering variance percentage.  so you will feel better even though you're probably no better off. regards aussie09
    Posted by aussie09
    If you flipped a coin an infinite amount of times, it will be heads exactly 50% of the time.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number:
    In Response to Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number : If you flipped a coin an infinite amount of times, it will be heads exactly 50% of the time.
    Posted by BlackFish3

it wouldn't and can be disproved in one simple way...  with infite spins, what happens on the next spin?

regards
    aussie09

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number : it wouldn't and can be disproved in one simple way...  with infite spins, what happens on the next spin? regards aussie09
    Posted by aussie09
    We've done the infinity thing before on here and I haven't quite recovered  ........ can we leave it for an eternity or two please.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number : If you flipped a coin an infinite amount of times, it will be heads exactly 50% of the time.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Don't go there fishy ........ it's wrong m8
  • edited May 2010

Me and my mates use a coin toss in tricky situations when in a public house........

'HEADS'  -  we stop

'TAILS'  -   we have another pint

'LANDS ON ITS SIDE'  - we go home!

Me and mates are all alcoholics for some reason :) We put this down to bad luck though 
  • edited May 2010
    Me and my mates use a coin toss in tricky situations when in a public house........ 'HEADS'  -  we stop 'TAILS'  -   we have another pint 'LANDS ON ITS SIDE'  - we go home! Me and mates are all alcoholics for some reason :) We put this down to bad luck though 
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Im pleased you and ure mates like to toss together.dav
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number : Im pleased you and ure mates like to toss together.dav
    Posted by dav1964
    At least I have got some mates Dav.......:) ) )
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number : At least I have got some mates Dav.......:) ) )
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Fair point.lmao
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number : it wouldn't and can be disproved in one simple way...  with infite spins, what happens on the next spin? regards aussie09
    Posted by aussie09
    Lol there is no infinity + 1!!! Infinity is infinity... its endless, so there is no infinity +1, so what happens on the next spin is part of the 'infinity' concept. If you increase the number of spins then the number of heads and tails will even out closer and closer to being 50 50 %. So if you do infinite spins then it will be a 50 50 split.
  • edited May 2010
    I could never toss for infinity anyway

you'd go blind
  • edited May 2010
    It's similiar to when a quadratic sequence converges. As the x value in the quadratic equation generating the sequence approaches + infinity or - infinity then the y value (the result of the equation, i.e the sequence numbers) approach a defined limit.

Probability works the same way. The % of times the coin lands on heads approaches 50 as the number of times the coin is tossed approaches infinity. When the number of times the coin is tossed equals infinity then the % of times the coin landed on heads equals 50 (similiar to being the limit of a converging quadratic sequence).
  • edited May 2010

exactly, as you increase the number of events the proportions will almost certainly get closer in percentage terms of the total and almost certainly the difference between the two numbers will be greater.  what this means is that bad luck does not automatically recover it just gets disguised.   it would be greater than a million to one chance that the number of heads and tails were the same.  infinite in fact.

all that aside, the original point is that variance percentage is disguising variance number.  you can't be consoled that luck will even everything out.  skill will prevail.   low skill players will over time increase their variance numbers negatively whilst good plyers will increase their variance numbers positively.  interestingly at the same time both skill levels will have a reducing variance percentage.

regards
    aussie09

• edited May 2010
    exactly, as you increase the number of events the proportions will almost certainly get closer in percentage terms of the total and almost certainly the difference between the two numbers will be greater.  what this means is that bad luck does not automatically recover it just gets disguised.   it would be greater than a million to one chance that the number of heads and tails were the same.  infinite in fact. all that aside, the original point is that variance percentage is disguising variance number.  you can't be consoled that luck will even everything out.  skill will prevail.   low skill players will over time increase their variance numbers negatively whilst good plyers will increase their variance numbers positively.  interestingly at the same time both skill levels will have a reducing variance percentage. regards aussie09
    Posted by aussie09
    If you tossed a coin 4 times it wouldn't be a million to one chance of there being 2 heads and 2 tails. If you tossed a coin a great deal of times it would be highly unlikely to be exactly the same, but if you do it infintely then it would even out exactly.

In terms of luck evening everything out, it will even out the chance element of poker, such as when you are all in etc. This will also mean that everyone will get the same chances and situations etc in the infinite long term. So the skill comes in maximising every opportunity, or minimising losses.

I dont really understand what you mean about variance numbers and variance percentage. can you clear this up for me pweez.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number : If you tossed a coin 4 times it wouldn't be a million to one chance of there being 2 heads and 2 tails. If you tossed a coin a great deal of times it would be highly unlikely to be exactly the same, but if you do it infintely then it would even out exactly. In terms of luck evening everything out, it will even out the chance element of poker, such as when you are all in etc. This will also mean that everyone will get the same chances and situations etc in the infinite long term. So the skill comes in maximising every opportunity, or minimising losses. I dont really understand what you mean about variance numbers and variance percentage. can you clear this up for me pweez.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Sooooooo, you're sure that infinity is an even number?
  • edited May 2010
    It's similiar to when a quadratic sequence converges. As the x value in the quadratic equation generating the sequence approaches + infinity or - infinity then the y value (the result of the equation, i.e the sequence numbers) approach a defined limit. Probability works the same way. The % of times the coin lands on heads approaches 50 as the number of times the coin is tossed approaches infinity. When the number of times the coin is tossed equals infinity then the % of times the coin landed on heads equals 50 (similiar to being the limit of a converging quadratic sequence).
    Posted by BlackFish3
    It's absolutely nothing like any convergent series.
    You're confusing two totally un-related issues.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number : Sooooooo, you're sure that infinity is an even number?
    Posted by MereNovice
    Well the coin will land on heads the same number of times it lands on tails... so in order to do this i guess it would have to be an even number of times :S
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number : It's absolutely nothing like any convergent series. You're confusing two totally un-related issues.
    Posted by MereNovice
    blargh its an analogy...

convergent series approach a specific limit or number ok.
    in the same way the greater the number of coins you toss the closer and closer it will get to a 50 50 split.

so you have convergent series getting closer and closer to a limit, and you have coins being tossed getting closer and closer to a 50 50 split...

common factor being that the greater the number of times the closer it gets to something (not sure if that makes sense lol) but hmmm absolutely nothing like each other, two totally un-related issues... not so sure about that.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number : If you tossed a coin 4 times it wouldn't be a million to one chance of there being 2 heads and 2 tails. If you tossed a coin a great deal of times it would be highly unlikely to be exactly the same, but if you do it infintely then it would even out exactly. In terms of luck evening everything out, it will even out the chance element of poker, such as when you are all in etc. This will also mean that everyone will get the same chances and situations etc in the infinite long term. So the skill comes in maximising every opportunity, or minimising losses. I dont really understand what you mean about variance numbers and variance percentage. can you clear this up for me pweez.
    Posted by BlackFish3

you proposed that at infinity the number of heads and tails would be the same... that is not correct.

if you are confused over number and percentage you might feel that luck will turn your way correcting any previous spell of bad luck.  it won't.

example

Coin tossed HHHTTTTHHH.
    That is 6 heads 4 tails
    Variance number is +1 for heads
    Variance percentage is +20% for heads

if we then spin the coin for another ten events with the results going with probaility
    That is 11 heads and 9 tails
    Variance number is +1 for heads
    Variance percentage is +10% for heads

As we increase the number of events some might conclude that things even themselves out because the percentage has "halved"
    However the original run of "bad luck" remainds the same
    Variance number is still +1 for heads

One final example, if it helps further, consider 1,000 events of coin tossing.  I will bet you that the result will not be 500 heads and 500 tails.  I will give you odds too.  Bigger odds for more spins.  Send your stake to my Sky Poker account

regards
    aussie09

• edited May 2010

blackfish....i think you're bluffing.

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number : blargh its an analogy... convergent series approach a specific limit or number ok. in the same way the greater the number of coins you toss the closer and closer it will get to a 50 50 split. so you have convergent series getting closer and closer to a limit, and you have coins being tossed getting closer and closer to a 50 50 split... common factor being that the greater the number of times the closer it gets to something (not sure if that makes sense lol) but hmmm absolutely nothing like each other, two totally un-related issues... not so sure about that.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    I could use cutting an apple up as an analogy for splitting the atom - it wouldn't make it right.

It is not true that "the greater the number of coins you toss the closer and closer it will get to a 50 50 split". The expectation is that it will tend towards 50/50 but this is a completely different concept.

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number : you proposed that at infinity the number of heads and tails would be the same... that is not correct. if you are confused over number and percentage you might feel that luck will turn your way correcting any previous spell of bad luck.  it won't. example Coin tossed HHHTTTTHHH. That is 6 heads 4 tails Variance number is +1 for heads Variance percentage is +20% for heads if we then spin the coin for another ten events with the results going with probaility That is 11 heads and 9 tails Variance number is +1 for heads Variance percentage is +10% for heads As we increase the number of events some might conclude that things even themselves out because the percentage has "halved" However the original run of "bad luck" remainds the same Variance number is still +1 for heads One final example, if it helps further, consider 1,000 events of coin tossing.  I will bet you that the result will not be 500 heads and 500 tails.  I will give you odds too.  Bigger odds for more spins.  Send your stake to my Sky Poker account regards aussie09
    Posted by aussie09
    In the long run the number of heads and tails will get closer and closer to a 50 50 split, so why would it not be exactly equal for an infinite number of spins?

In terms of luck turning your way correcting any previous spell of bad luck... chance is not dictated by the past, so if a coin was heads 5 times in a row, the next spin will still be a 50 50.

In terms of your variance number and variance percentage thing, are you showing that the variance % decreases, but the variance number does not necessarily? Because surely 6/10 heads is worse than 11/20 heads? Or are you just illustrating how it gets closer and closer to a 50 50 split but that does not mean that just because of a bad run things will improve in the future? Because surely they will in order for the mean to even out at 50 50. Sorry im getting a bit confused by this variance number, variance percentage thing so this part of the post probably is full of contradictions etc lol.

In terms of us gambling on whether 1000 coin tosses will have the exact same outcome of heads and tails then i would be happy to oblige. IF you gave me better odds than the statistical probability of it being exactly even. In terms of the number of possibilities. This is a calculation for mere novice lol. In terms of me sending you my stake on sky... point me to the transfer funds... oh there isnt 1 :), finally... since when does 1000 coin spins come even close to an infinite number of coin flips?
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Coin Toss - Variance Perentage and Variance Number : In the long run the number of heads and tails will get closer and closer to a 50 50 split, so why would it not be exactly equal for an infinite number of spins? In terms of luck turning your way correcting any previous spell of bad luck... chance is not dictated by the past, so if a coin was heads 5 times in a row, the next spin will still be a 50 50. In terms of your variance number and variance percentage thing, are you showing that the variance % decreases, but the variance number does not necessarily? Because surely 6/10 heads is worse than 11/20 heads? Or are you just illustrating how it gets closer and closer to a 50 50 split but that does not mean that just because of a bad run things will improve in the future? Because surely they will in order for the mean to even out at 50 50. Sorry im getting a bit confused by this variance number, variance percentage thing so this part of the post probably is full of contradictions etc lol. In terms of us gambling on whether 1000 coin tosses will have the exact same outcome of heads and tails then i would be happy to oblige. IF you gave me better odds than the statistical probability of it being exactly even. In terms of the number of possibilities. This is a calculation for mere novice lol. In terms of me sending you my stake on sky... point me to the transfer funds... oh there isnt 1 :), finally... since when does 1000 coin spins come even close to an infinite number of coin flips?
    Posted by BlackFish3

i refer the honourable gentleman to the responses given earlier.

• edited May 2010
    But why is it not true that the more flips you do the closer you get to a 50 50 split?
    I really dont care if im right or wrong here, i just want to understand it.
    Obviously each spin is independant but thats just when you look at single spins.
    So i cant understand why the more flips you do why it wont approach a 50 50 split. How does the real world outcome differ from the expectation?
    help me mere novice!!
  • edited May 2010
    Is it possible for you to flip a coin an infinite number of times and it always be heads?
    This is all difficult to comprehend :(

i guess the probability of something happening does not mean that it definately will... i think this is where i am getting confused.

Just dont understand how expectation can differ from real world outcome :S
    ok i give up now lol... im doing my head in, and probably everyone else who reads this.
  • edited May 2010
    As infinity is never ending you would never have a definitive answer at times it would be 50/50 and times it wouldnt so all your waffle is in vain!
  • edited May 2010

SO........

ARE YOU CALLING HEADS OR TAILS!!!!!!!???????????