You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why do you play poker?

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat

Last week when there was a flurry of bad-beat posts on the forum, with people showing their anger at results of various hands, I began to wonder why some people play poker.

Surely, the vast majority of people on all online sites - and SkyPoker in particular - are recreational players. So the huge depths of emotions people show when they lose confused me. Aside from the fact a buy-in on a cash game / tournament represented a high proportion of one's bankroll, how do people get quite so worked up about what is effectively, a game?

I still don't know the answer to this question; perhaps it's because I'm not a "serious" poker player, but merely play to enjoy myself / relax after work.

There are numerous reasons for playing poker;

1) Fun and entertainment. A couple of tournaments can represent a cheap night out.
2) Social reasons; to relax and enjoy the chat with others. Particualrly in live games.
3) Competitive element of facing different challenges - poker is, after all, a mighty complex game.
4) To make money.

So ... why do YOU play poker?

Comments