You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is this "getoffable"?

2»

Comments

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: is this "getoffable"?:
    In Response to Re: is this "getoffable"? : lol you had a couple of hours to make your mind up, i only had 15 seconds:)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Yeah i know i am slow lol, its good doing equity calculations though as when a situation similar to this comes up again you will know you have to much equity to fold in the 15 seconds required.

Its refreshing to see a post which actually has some discussion between the regs and lets us think about the hand for more than a minute :-)
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: is this "getoffable"? : Greg, I am finding it hard to put what I want to say into words but here go's.  Perhaps this hand is a cooler, but I think that you can get off coolers, and obviously this is dependent on the situation.  I try to discount the "this is +ve in the long run" mindset, primarily because I'm a nit that hates to lose any amount, no matter how small.  So I tend to play on instincts, which are correct most of the time.  With no reads on the player, however, this all goes out the window.  You have to either go on the maths, or just fold and say that you can find a better spot later on. Having said all of that, and coming from a micro-stakes background, I would find it almost impossible to find a fold in 15 seconds. Interesting hand. Will
    Posted by Wilhelm
    Will, the highlighted is me too, at heart...

I have been successful with a generally nitty style for some time in a variety of games. This means i will never lose money at poker at the very least. But i wont win very much either. i could opt to play this way forever and enjoy my poker with very little risk.

However, the other option, is to expand my skill set by listening to the online pros with their maths and +ev stuff, because it is clearly successful for them. In the short term this may lose me money while i am learning this style properly.But if i really want to improve and become a more successful player, i don't see that i have any other option, as much as it goes against the grain. Wish me luck!
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: is this "getoffable"? : Will, the highlighted is me too, at heart ... I have been successful with a generally nitty style for some time in a variety of games. This means i will never lose money at poker at the very least. But i wont win very much either. i could opt to play this way forever and enjoy my poker with very little risk. However, the other option, is to expand my skill set by listening to the online pros with their maths and +ev stuff, because it is clearly successful for them. In the short term this may lose me money while i am learning this style properly.But if i really want to improve and become a more successful player, i don't see that i have any other option, as much as it goes against the grain. Wish me luck!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Of course I wih you all the best.  Just don't lose your instincts.  :)
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: is this "getoffable"? : Will, the highlighted is me too, at heart ... I have been successful with a generally nitty style for some time in a variety of games. This means i will never lose money at poker at the very least. But i wont win very much either. i could opt to play this way forever and enjoy my poker with very little risk. However, the other option, is to expand my skill set by listening to the online pros with their maths and +ev stuff, because it is clearly successful for them. In the short term this may lose me money while i am learning this style properly.But if i really want to improve and become a more successful player, i don't see that i have any other option, as much as it goes against the grain. Wish me luck!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    I use to fold if i thought it was close in ev as i thought i would have less variance, what i did not realise was the more +ev sitautions i took the more my winrate would increase which would give me less variance in the long run.