You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Right! Let's do that Omaha thing again.

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat

Plans of mice & men, eh?

So, today went a bit skew-wiff, with the rebuy probs, so a change of plan for me.

I'm not "working" tonight, but I think I'll play the Omaha Tourneys again tonight, exactly as we did last night, with the same "Best Overall Performance" side challenge.

I'll be playing as "tikay1" tonight.

Let's do the same 4 Tourneys as last night - that's....

And the "Best Overall performance", being the average finishing position (assuming you play TWO or more of the 4 Tourneys).

To see how it worked yesterday, go to page FOUR of THIS thread please.

And as we've had a bad day, I'll try & twist the Suits arm to donate FREE ENTRY nto tomorrow night's 7pm "tikay skleepstack", which is a well-structured, 10 seater Tourney. Because I know some folks like them. ;)

Just one thing though. It's Rich Orford's PTP night this evening, & I really don't want to queer his pitch. So talk to him, & play with me. Fair enough?

Comments

• edited May 2010

I will hopefully  enter at least  two of these......

One question though.......

Are these rebuy tournaments?????    :)
  • edited May 2010

Looks like I win the Free Entry. I am the ONLY entry in any of the 4 nominated Omaha Tourneys tonight!

Ship it.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Right! Let's do that Omaha thing again.:
    I will hopefully  enter at least  two of these...... One question though....... Are these rebuy tournaments?????    :)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Ban this boy. I say, BAN HIM.

• edited May 2010
    Im in the first 3, may play the last one will see how it goes
  • edited May 2010
    I'm in.  Really let myself down with my MTT play this month so we're going in focused (no old Sci-Fi movies on the TV), energized (I'll have three coffee's and a packet of refreshers) and committed (no toilet breaks, just a bucket under the laptop and who care's what the other half says).

Want some?  Come get some!
  • edited May 2010

I will try and play a few of these,

One thing i struggle with in omaha pl mtts is when you get low, im used to NLHE so i can just shove 10-15bb, but obvs you can't in pot limit.

So does anyone have any real tips with this or how they get around it...n dont say just run good :)
  • edited May 2010

So far, we have 4 regulars entered for most of the 4 Tourneys.

35suited2000
    dylan122000
    tikay12000
    TommyD2000
    So, good news for everyone - Dylan is THE VALUE.
  • edited May 2010
    Im in all four again, if tikay owns me again in the first one I will de register from the others ;) lol

I still don't get this Omaha malarky - I really found last night that most people call any raise pre flop so I dunno innit, will give it another crack tonight and see how it goes - got really lucky in the first tournament last night - sorry sharon - but I think I was pretty unlucky in the others.

Looking forward to this again and if, as likely, I will bust out early from these i will then search for ricorford to play some cash :) Hope we get a load of response to these tonight again and I hope to get a nice chatty table - cos that's where the craic is innit :)
  • edited May 2010
    So far, we have 4 regulars entered for most of the 4 Tourneys. 35suited 2000 dylan12 2000 tikay1 2000 TommyD 2000 So, good news for everyone - Dylan is THE VALUE.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sigh...
  • edited May 2010
    tikay can you run this on a weekend as you probly know work nights so cant play dueing the week passed certain time but sound like fun and would love  to play and have some fun
  • edited May 2010
    I will try and play a few of these, One thing i struggle with in omaha pl mtts is when you get low, im used to NLHE so i can just shove 10-15bb, but obvs you can't in pot limit. So does anyone have any real tips with this or how they get around it...n dont say just run good :)
    Posted by Norbit
    That's half the skill in Pot Limit, be it Texas, or Omaha, because if you pop it up & get serial-called - & you often will - you are in a world of hurt unless you catch the flop hard.

Try doing it backwards. Limp in early position, & if nobody Raises, & you miss completely (1 pair is no good, obv), let go to any strength. But if someone in later position pops it up, now you can really get the leverage to get a proper Raise in, so re-pot it, & in most cases, you will either get it through, or get it Heads-Up. If it gets Heads-Up, well sometimes 1 pair is enough.

I pretty much sit out in these things, & let the early carnage take care of most of the field, there's no need to get busy until very late on, as they are quite well-structured, being PL.

Very very few players appreciate the massive difference between NL & PL: - they play out totally differently.
  • edited May 2010
    tikay can you run this on a weekend as you probly know work nights so cant play dueing the week passed certain time but sound like fun and would love  to play and have some fun
    Posted by MYSHARKY
    OK Sharky, I'll see what I can do. Actually, ANYONE can run one of these evenings, but yes, I will do my best.
  • edited May 2010
  • edited May 2010
    Hmmmmmm, do I play the 9.15 again?
  • edited May 2010
    So far, we have 4 regulars entered for most of the 4 Tourneys. 35suited 2000 dylan12 2000 tikay1 2000 TommyD 2000 So, good news for everyone - Dylan is THE VALUE.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Oh cmon tikay out of those 4 names you know im the value, you just dont know me well enough to say it worried you might offend me :)

Im usless at holdem but even worse at omaha but I enjoy it so im in :)

Gareth
  • edited May 2010
    Im in all four again, if tikay owns me again in the first one I will de register from the others ;) lol I still don't get this Omaha malarky - I really found last night that most people call any raise pre flop so I dunno innit, will give it another crack tonight and see how it goes - got really lucky in the first tournament last night - sorry sharon - but I think I was pretty unlucky in the others. Looking forward to this again and if, as likely, I will bust out early from these i will then search for ricorford to play some cash :) Hope we get a load of response to these tonight again and I hope to get a nice chatty table - cos that's where the craic is innit :)
    Posted by dylan12
    Personally, I NEVER Raise pre-Flop in the fist 4 or 5 Levels of an Omaha Tourney, as I know I will get looked up in 4 or 5 spots. It's not Texas, we CAN limp in to see flops early doors, & pot-sized Raises don't get rid of many, or even any. 4 way, what flops are we gonna like with our Aces?

I don't think pre-flop Raises "work" in Pot-Limit Omaha Tourneys until at least the 100-200, or 150-300 Level, so I never bother trying before then. Yes, that's correct - I almost never Raise PF in Omaha until later Levels. No point.

I was asked about No-Limit Omaha Tourneys last night, by the way. They don't work in Omaha, it's just a daft game imo, & removes every vestige of skill. Pot-limit is lovely. I could marry Pot-Limit, & have babies.   
  • edited May 2010

Thanks Tikay! I will take note and try later.
  • edited May 2010

Hi Tony, i will have a wee shot at this tonite....i'm poor at holdem and on my last legs at Omaha...should be fun though.

olinC

ps. see i've a can or two already

niloC

lol

• edited May 2010
    Played one last night and after a poor start did ok came 11th of 27 and had my nuts on the turn rivered so not much else I could have done!

Will try and get in 2, if I manage to I will finish 10th and 15th so 25 total!

Dave
  • edited May 2010
    Played one last night and after a poor start did ok came 11th of 27 and had my nuts on the turn rivered so not much else I could have done! Will try and get in 2, if I manage to I will finish 10th and 15th so 25 total! Dave
    Posted by SolarCarro
    Unlucky Dave.

Something folks need to get their head round (not in this case) is passing the nuts in Omaha. I passed the stone-cold nuts on the flop twice last night.

Imagine you are in early position, in Levels 1 or 2, unraised pot, & the flop comes 6-7-9, (2 diamonds). You hold 8-10, with no diamonds, & no straight extensions. You bet out, it goes, behind you, Raise, Re-Raise, etc. We can imagine their holdings - someone with the Flush Draw, someone with all the straight extensions (8-10-J-Q), & someone with top set. How many bullets you gonna have to dodge - twice - there? 

It's not something that comes easy, & I''m sure half the world - at last - will mock - but in Omaha, there are lots of situations where maybe, just maybe, passing the flopped nuts is optimal. I do NOT want or need to get the lot in 5 way in the early staghes to win, or even Cash. The real decisions come later, we have no need to put our life on the line in the pursuit of early chips. IMO, that is. ;)
  • edited May 2010

10 in the first one so far, building up nicely, still 25 mins to go. Oh to be on Dylan's Table, to his left, calling him down every street with quads. ;) 

35suited2000
    dylan122000
    Hjaltland2000
    LEON12000
    Machka2000
    MereNovice2000
    Richardo992000
    SoLack2000
    tikay12000
    TommyD2000
  • edited May 2010
    10 in the first one so far, building up nicely, still 25 mins to go. Oh to be on Dylan's Table, to his left, calling him down every street with quads. ;)  35suited 2000 dylan12 2000 Hjaltland 2000 LEON1 2000 Machka 2000 MereNovice 2000 Richardo99 2000 SoLack 2000 tikay1 2000 TommyD 2000
    Posted by Tikay10
    I hope I own you tonight Sir ;) he he
  • edited May 2010

15 minutes to go, & 15 reg'd. The field looks tougher tonight, though there's always Dylan.

35suited2000
    alexis742000
    dylan122000
    elsadog2000
    FINS2000
    Hjaltland2000
    kcxyz2000
    LEON12000
    Machka2000
    Mear2000
    MereNovice2000
    Richardo992000
    SoLack2000
    tikay12000
    TommyD2000
  • edited May 2010
    i'll be up for playing one or two of these.  hvae to go out tho so will be the later ones.
  • edited May 2010

Nice one Scotty.

5 mins to go, & 21 in already. Excellent, these Tournies are really taking off now. Even Marshall Mathers is in, but he's not been asked to please stand up, please stand up.

35suited2000  
    alexis742000  
    dylan122000  
    elsadog2000  
    Emnemnem2000  
    FINS2000  
    Hjaltland2000  
    kcxyz2000  
    LEON12000  
    lisavegas72000  
    Machka2000  
    MAXALLY2000  
    Mear2000  
    MereNovice2000  
    Richardo992000  
    SHY-BOY2000  
    SoLack2000  
    THFC4EVA2000  
    tikay12000  
    TommyD2000  
    WAYNE_16652000
  • edited May 2010
    let's get thirty
  • edited May 2010
    let's get thirty
    Posted by SoLack
    Settle for 28, Solly?

35suited2000
    alexis742000
    daznsam2000
    DOHHHHHHH2000
    dylan122000
    elsadog2000
    Emnemnem2000
    FINS2000
    hfdbull292000
    Hjaltland2000
    karlluke2000
    kcxyz2000
    k_mac2000
    LEON12000
    lisavegas72000
    Machka2000
    MAXALLY2000
    Mear2000
    MereNovice2000
    Richardo992000
    SHY-BOY2000
    SoLack2000
    soulie2000
    THFC4EVA2000
    tikay12000
    TommyD2000
    WAYNE_16652000
    _SHAMROCK_2000
  • edited May 2010

Completly forgot! im useless!

8:15 it is then! :D
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Right! Let's do that Omaha thing again. : Unlucky Dave. Something folks need to get their head round (not in this case) is passing the nuts in Omaha. I passed the stone-cold nuts on the flop twice last night. Imagine you are in early position, in Levels 1 or 2, unraised pot, & the flop comes 6-7-9, (2 diamonds). You hold 8-10, with no diamonds, & no straight extensions. You bet out, it goes, behind you, Raise, Re-Raise, etc. We can imagine their holdings - someone with the Flush Draw, someone with all the straight extensions (8-10-J-Q), & someone with top set. How many bullets you gonna have to dodge - twice - there?  It's not something that comes easy, & I''m sure half the world - at last - will mock - but in Omaha, there are lots of situations where maybe, just maybe, passing the flopped nuts is optimal. I do NOT want or need to get the lot in 5 way in the early staghes to win, or even Cash. The real decisions come later, we have no need to put our life on the line in the pursuit of early chips. IMO, that is. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    Quick question before the carnage starts Tikay.  When I first made the transition to PLO from NLHE (t'was a while back) I was stuck in one nasty spot and I still don't know if I made the correct move.  It was a $1 $2 cash game on another UK based site.  I had awful aces (something like AA93 rainbow).  I was in late position on a moderately laggy table.  UTG had opened for a pot and got his customary three or four flat calls.  I repotted up to $45.  UTG re-repotted to commit himself to the pot and one of the original flatters re-re-repotted all in.  My remaining $160 was what was required to remain in the pot.  As I thought UTG had the other two aces and the other shover must have a D/S rundown I folded my awful aces.  I posted that hand and got rounded booed for my fold.  What would you do?  Looking back I should of probably flatted the UTG preflop back hey :)
  • edited May 2010
    HeadsValue

Emnemnem5600  
    k_mac4795  
    Hjaltland3025  
    daznsam2765  
    soulie2505  
    SoLack2435  
    Machka2345  
    dylan122260  
    DOHHHHHHH2220  
    WAYNE_16652070  
    MAXALLY1985  
    alexis741975  
    SHY-BOY1930  
    THFC4EVA1920  
    FINS1900  
    elsadog1875  
    kcxyz1760  
    hfdbull291720  
    Mear1650  
    35suited1545  
    lisavegas71535  
    karlluke1520  
    MereNovice1445  
    LEON11400  
    Richardo991210  
    tikay1610  
    _SHAMROCK_027 
    TommyD028

WWWWWWWWWWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!