You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Im always loosing! do i need to give poker up :(

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat
Since i have joined (less then a year i think) I cant seem to win any thing, The amount i have put on to here i havent won any profit,

Most i have won is 60 quid of a tennar and that was in cash, I like playing bounty hunters as you dont have to finish in top ten and i have some chance on getting some money. as i dont seem to cash in any tounrys, Saying that i dont seem to to do that well in bounty hunters. i always just seem to fade away then get knocked out.

I dont know if i need pointing in the right direction or just to give it up lol.

I have a small bank roll, (normall just play around 5p/10p and 4/8 lol)and just want to make a bit of profit like we all do.

Any one wanna help me :P

Comments

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Im always loosing! do i need to give poker up :(:
    Since i have joined (less then a year i think) I cant seem to win any thing, The amount i have put on to here i havent won any profit, Most i have won is 60 quid of a tennar and that was in cash, I like playing bounty hunters as you dont have to finish in top ten and i have some chance on getting some money. as i dont seem to cash in any tounrys, Saying that i dont seem to to do that well in bounty hunters. i always just seem to fade away then get knocked out. I dont know if i need pointing in the right direction or just to give it up lol. I have a small bank roll, (normall just play around 5p/10p and 4/8 lol)and just want to make a bit of profit like we all do. Any one wanna help me :P
    Posted by shaun09
    Hi shaun

The problem with tournys is that there is very big varience (that does not mean you cant go deep and cash even then) from what you are saying you start to tighten up in the later stages of a tourny?, ifr this si the case, this is the time when you need to get a little more aggro, I would suggest using yours and what you know of the table to your advantage, use position, may I also suggest grinding in the Double your Money Sit and goes, less varience in those.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
  • edited May 2010
    I dont even get deep. I get hooked on a hand, but then once i loose i think why did i do that? Like why did i call that? Then i wont do it again. I seem to do better with cash altho i still dont win :(
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Im always loosing! do i need to give poker up :(:
    I dont even get deep. I get hooked on a hand, but then once i loose i think why did i do that? Like why did i call that? Then i wont do it again. I seem to do better with cash altho i still dont win :(
    Posted by shaun09
    Take a look at your game and the format you are trying to play..

For instance, what is your aim in a NLH standard format tournament - Answer - Survive
    The one that survies the longest wins and that means not jepardising chips when you don't need to. WHen i'm on my game and playing well then i rarley play a hand for first 3 levels unless it's premium pair, set mining or big ace, even with a big ace i'm happy to keep it small if i'm unsure. After that i play more frequently with wider range but your early tight play has established an image and people will begin to fold when unsure

Excersise pot control, keep the pots small early on so you don't get commited to it
  • edited May 2010
    Hi shaun

It looks like you are starting to learn from your mistakes which can only bring good :), may I suggest, if you get a decent hand try raising, see what recation you get, dont try to chase draws if it gets too dear, if you have a draw raise it, buold the pot re evaluate if someone re raises big, it does work :), obviously use postiton :), let us know how you get on please :)
  • edited May 2010

You're still learning mate.
    I've only been playing since August and overall am losing money, but am enjoying the game and the chat.
    but I haven't deposited since January and bankroll is on the rise (although slowly this month!). Took on board what the guys on here said and played 2p4p tighter and also Double Your Money 30p or 60p.
    The DYM's help you gain experience for little outlay.
    I think they have helped me in cash to some extent.
    DYM's are a little boring/tedious at times but if you play them in the right frame of mind you can try different things and see what could work for you.

Had a loss of confidence this month on cash and went back to DYM's to regain it. Working so far as played 16 and cashed in 14. You only have to come third (out of 6) to cash.

Good luck

David

• edited May 2010
    Do you need to give up if you're losing? Only if you're not enjoying it. 

If you love playing – and are not playing with money you can't afford to lose, then fill your boots my friend. It's a recreational pursuit, and it sounds like you're enjoying it despite some lacklustre results. I see nothing wrong with that. The money you're currently losing is just the down-payment for experience. The financial results can follow on later.

Why not make a few small deposits on some other sites and give them a whirl? This may sound nuts, but Poker is not universal. I get much better financial results on another poker site, but still come back to Sky (where I constantly struggle)... because I'm a glutton for punishment, and clinically insane.

MTT Tournaments are great fun, but will sap your soul if played exclusively. Have a go at some 9 handed SnG's, and treat them like the final table of an MTT. That should open your game up a bit and show you some things about changing gears. If you stick to MTTs, you'll get the odd blinding result, but a lot of confidence-bashing in between.

I've stated this before, but I've got a massive amount, out of taking a lap top around to mates, and spending an entire day scrutinising each other's play; taking it in turns to enter tournaments, watch each other and talking about starting hands, position, moves, etc. 

It's like anything else in life; you adopt some lessons from here; some from there; jettison the one's that don't work and keep the ones that do... it's all part of the cycle of discovering your natural style.

Failure is just the opportunity to start again, but more intelligently. 

Good luck.

• edited May 2010
    You're still learning mate. I've only been playing since August and overall am losing money, but am enjoying the game and the chat. but I haven't deposited since January and bankroll is on the rise (although slowly this month!). Took on board what the guys on here said and played 2p4p tighter and also Double Your Money 30p or 60p. The DYM's help you gain experience for little outlay. I think they have helped me in cash to some extent. DYM's are a little boring/tedious at times but if you play them in the right frame of mind you can try different things and see what could work for you. Had a loss of confidence this month on cash and went back to DYM's to regain it. Working so far as played 16 and cashed in 14. You only have to come third (out of 6) to cash.   Good luck David
    Posted by walesboy
    this... but be careful, dyms will stunt your poker growth imo.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Im always loosing! do i need to give poker up :( : this... but be careful, dyms will stunt your poker growth imo.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Hey Blackfish, why do you think this? I thought you mainly played DYMs? 
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Im always loosing! do i need to give poker up :( : Hey Blackfish, why do you think this? I thought you mainly played DYMs? 
    Posted by Patching99
    I did for like 8 months with the plan to move to cash at some point when i stopped being a woman. When i made the move to cash couple months ago i found it so much harder, in dyms the decisions are all straight forward more or less (so brilliant for learning the basics, while also winning consistently with a decent tight aggressive strategy with low risk), in cash the blinds are low compared to stack sizes and so decisions become much harder. For example if you have top pair with like 20BBs then it's the nuts, top pair 100+BB deep facing a reraise and it's not so good. So playing dyms you kind of hit a brick wall and you cant really improve as much as you could playing cash because the majority of decisions are massively straightforward. In cash far more tough decisions. I hope that makes sense, let me know if you want me to clear anything up or elaborate.
  • edited May 2010
    I do learn from my mistakes but i still dont seem to get any where, it is money that i have spare, but i still hit my self when i loose it all :(
  • edited May 2010
    You need to ask yourself why are you playing poker?
    For a bit of fun?
    For profit?
    For future profit?
  • edited May 2010
    im playing it for profit but i would like to have fun at same time. Which i do untill my balance says 0
  • edited May 2010
    I understand, you enjoy making profit yea? That's where you find the fun in poker?
    I think you should play at a stake that you can beat, even if it is the lowest of the low just so it dont cost much to improve. Then look to improve your game, play loads of hands, read books, read stuff online, post hands, ask questions, think about your game off the table, review your hands etc etc etc.
  • edited May 2010
    I do play low tho. 2p 4p lowest there is lol. but i still loose. if i have 50quid ill sit down at a few tables with 4 quid which is maximum of if i have more ill sit with 8quid on 4/8p
  • edited May 2010
    i enjoy making a profit as i think any one does. but im not making any profit. :( but i stil enoy playing
  • edited May 2010
    My advice is this; for each hour you spend playing at the tables spend 10 minutes studying a good book and analyzing crucial recent hands. Then, when you go back to the tables, have a good think before making big decisions, no snap calls. If you're prepared to learn I guarantee your results will improve.

Harrington on Hold 'em I and II are ideal, they did wonders for my game, PM me if you want a copy.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Im always loosing! do i need to give poker up :( : I did for like 8 months with the plan to move to cash at some point when i stopped being a woman. When i made the move to cash couple months ago i found it so much harder, in dyms the decisions are all straight forward more or less (so brilliant for learning the basics, while also winning consistently with a decent tight aggressive strategy with low risk), in cash the blinds are low compared to stack sizes and so decisions become much harder. For example if you have top pair with like 20BBs then it's the nuts, top pair 100+BB deep facing a reraise and it's not so good. So playing dyms you kind of hit a brick wall and you cant really improve as much as you could playing cash because the majority of decisions are massively straightforward. In cash far more tough decisions. I hope that makes sense, let me know if you want me to clear anything up or elaborate.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Cheers, makes perfect sense.  I played DYMs for about a week but thought the rake was a bit excessive so moved straight to 4NL as soon as I had 10BI's.  I've now played for three months and still around the 10BI level so not going anywhere really.  I'm thinking whether I should go back to the DYMs for a while or keep grinding on.

PS sorry Shaun for hijacking your post.  If you enjoy playing and can afford it then keep playing. 
  • edited May 2010
    try goiing to your local library and take out a couple of poker books, read them from cover to cover and do'nt skip bits.
    this might not improve your game but it might highlight where you are going wrong. you have nothing to lose and all to gain.
  • edited May 2010
    Shauney mate!

I've played with you and your problem is that you think everyone is bluffing and that if you go all in with two pair when the flush hits the river when someone has re-raised you will get them to fold, the problem (as i see it) is two fold...

1. you don't listen to/believe the answer you are getting from your raise.

2. your massive all in overbet with two pair is ALWAYS going to get called by the flush chaser who hit!

These are easily fixable leaks in your game.

It's not too tragic to fix mate, you know where your problems are, it's up to you to do the rest :o)

x
  • edited May 2010
    cheers mate its good to hear of somebody who has played me. If i think im good ill carry on.

But i know what you mean, some time i just keep going and dont listen to the reply i get when they keep calling. :(

thank you for the other post, i think i might need to get some books,
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Im always loosing! do i need to give poker up :( : Cheers, makes perfect sense.  I played DYMs for about a week but thought the rake was a bit excessive so moved straight to 4NL as soon as I had 10BI's.  I've now played for three months and still around the 10BI level so not going anywhere really.  I'm thinking whether I should go back to the DYMs for a while or keep grinding on. PS sorry Shaun for hijacking your post.  If you enjoy playing and can afford it then keep playing. 
    Posted by Patching99
    If you are breaking even then i guess just keep playing cash, the good thing is you are not losing, so as you are not losing then you will get better and better with more experience, so breaking even + learning will eventually lead to winning. And breaking even is in a way winning, you are just unable to beat the rake but at least you are slightly beating the other players. Just work hard on your game and you will turn breaking even into winning, post some hands in the poker clinic, read stuff, look through your hands etc.
  • edited May 2010
    cheers mate its good to hear of somebody who has played me. If i think im good ill carry on. But i know what you mean, some time i just keep going and dont listen to the reply i get when they keep calling. :( thank you for the other post, i think i might need to get some books,
    Posted by shaun09
    dont forget there is also soooooo much stuff online about poker strategy, and most of it is free!
  • edited May 2010
    ok trips so where am i going wrong lol

shaun if u want, msg me a few key hands and i will over them and give u ome advice.
    failing that, if u prefer, post on here and we can dissect a few hands, but dont forget to remove names
  • edited May 2010
    invest in a couple of decent books.  Harrington on holdem is prob the best if you are into mtt`s.  Seriously mate, your game will improve overnight
  • edited May 2010
    Shauney mate! I've played with you and your problem is that you think everyone is bluffing and that if you go all in with two pair when the flush hits the river when someone has re-raised you will get them to fold, the problem (as i see it) is two fold... 1. you don't listen to/believe the answer you are getting from your raise. 2. your massive all in overbet with two pair is ALWAYS going to get called by the flush chaser who hit! These are easily fixable leaks in your game. It's not too tragic to fix mate, you know where your problems are, it's up to you to do the rest :o) x
    Posted by TRIP5
    I love this, they're always at it !!!!! haha

PM Mahony, he'll give you directions to the crossroads! ;)
  • edited May 2010
    Hiya mate,

Imo i would try posting a few hands in the poker clinic, try going through your hand history and try to find situations you find yourself in regularly. That you lose money in.

Not bad beats but situations you think you should be playing better and you should get positive feedback on how you can play the hand better. 

If you can afford to lose the money and enjoying it untill you go bust keep it going as you will start improving if you post hands and read up on strategy. Maybe try check out the odds on making your draws and read up on pot odds etc.. Someone said about reading the books cover to cover, which may work for them and you but another way (the way i do it) is pick the part i want to learn that day and read it over and over, try writing it out etc. as i find reading it cover to cover does't stick in your mind long enough. Say at the start of the book it talks about pot odds, by the end of the book i wont be able to remember anything about pot odds lol maybe thats just me.

I would suggest sticking to cash if you want to make a profit. When you make a profit from cash use that as your buy in for a MTT? I used to try only play tournaments and if you start running bad and go a long time without a cash you see your BR slowly go down the pan. As blackfish said about DYM it may be worth giving them ago as you learn the basics but i wouldn't play them to long. i agree they can stop your learning if you play them exclusively for the reasons already given. 

Gl at the tables mate hope to see a few hands posted from you soon 

Rob
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Im always loosing! do i need to give poker up :( : Cheers, makes perfect sense.  I played DYMs for about a week but thought the rake was a bit excessive so moved straight to 4NL as soon as I had 10BI's.  I've now played for three months and still around the 10BI level so not going anywhere really.  I'm thinking whether I should go back to the DYMs for a while or keep grinding on. PS sorry Shaun for hijacking your post.  If you enjoy playing and can afford it then keep playing. 
    Posted by Patching99
     Same happened to me when i first went to cash, the thing that helped me is posting hands and trawling through the hand history's seeing if you can find a pattern of where your losing your money. If your breaking even i would stick with it mate and keep grinding and keep trying to learn and fix leaks on the way im sure you will start grinding a profit eventually.
  • edited May 2010

Ok i will give a few dym ago. I cant do 30p and 60ps i normally just do £1.15 ones. or should i do lower ones? But yeah i think i have a few hands i could post, i might go have a check now. Mrwh1te i think i have been on your table a few times. Mayb if i see you on tables ill come join you!

Thank you all for your posts. keep then coming!!

• edited May 2010
    Ok i will give a few dym ago. I cant do 30p and 60ps i normally just do £1.15 ones. or should i do lower ones? But yeah i think i have a few hands i could post, i might go have a check now. Mrwh1te i think i have been on your table a few times. Mayb if i see you on tables ill come join you! Thank you all for your posts. keep then coming!!
    Posted by shaun09

Yeah try any of the range mate from 30p 60p or 1.15, just get yourself into a winning way.
    Will start to realise that you cash in maybe 2 out of 3. Its a slow grind at those stakes but least will aim you to making profit than losing.
    I used to be the same on another site. Came here and been in profit all the way.
    Just takes patience and believe in your game

stu
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Im always loosing! do i need to give poker up :( : If you are breaking even then i guess just keep playing cash, the good thing is you are not losing, so as you are not losing then you will get better and better with more experience, so breaking even + learning will eventually lead to winning. And breaking even is in a way winning, you are just unable to beat the rake but at least you are slightly beating the other players. Just work hard on your game and you will turn breaking even into winning, post some hands in the poker clinic, read stuff, look through your hands etc.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Cheers for the advice, I'm going to keep it going at this level but spend more time trying to work out the many mistakes I'm sure I'm making.