You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

another film thread

2»

Comments

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: another film thread:
    ok movie question -- what film is the line 'IM YOUR HUCKLEBERRY'.... from??  watched this film at the weekend such a cool film! surprised I aint seen it yet on any of the lists!
    Posted by Eagle26
    Is it Tombstone?
  • edited June 2010
    we have a winner!! val kilmer says it with a big fat cigar in his mouth just before he guns down the leader of the cowboys. crackin film and val kilmers acting in that film is spot on!
  • edited June 2010
    Scarface (1983 Brian DePalma) Taxi Driver (1976 Martin Scorsese) Goodfellas (1990 Martin Scorsese) Irreversible (2002 Gasper Noe) Requiem For A Dream (2000 Darren Aronofsky) Dawn Of The Dead (1978 George A Romero) Raging Bull (1980 Martin Scorsese) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974 Tobe Hooper) Performance (1970 Donald Cammell / Nicolas Roeg) Apocalypse Now (1979 Francis Ford Coppola) Bad Lieutenant (1992 Abel Ferrara) An American Werewolf In London (1981 John Landis) The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976 Nicolas Roeg) Danger: Diabolik (1968 Mario Bava) Videodrome (1982 David Cronenberg) Reservoir Dogs (1992 Quentin Tarantino) Inferno (1980 Dario Argento) Once Upon A Time In The West (1969 Sergio Leone) Profondo Rosso / Deep Red (1975 Dario Argento) Alien (1979 Ridley Scott) Sorry but it was difficult enough trying to get it down to 20 never mind 10.
    Posted by Darntootin
    What a Great list, must admit 2/3 not seen or heard of so will look them up out of respect to your great work!!
    Funny innit you make a list, then see other peoples lists and realisse you could put 7/8 new films into a ten compilation!!

Noticible, that apart from a couple exceptions, [and SoldierBlue], bout the same 25 or so films keep appearing,
    in this and other threads!! Usually at least 4/5 of these in everyones top ten!! maybe apart fron yours Darntootin... So i thought......

.... How about we all suggest 2 great films we have loved, or affected our lives, that are maybe a bit more obscure, and not been mentioned regulary, or even at all!! Been thinking about this a while and it aint easy, cause most have had a mention, but here goes:-

Paris, Texas  - Moving sound & atmosphere, Harry Dean Stanton, in a great character role again!! Jessica Lange, beautiful, sad & 'life-worn'

Badlands - Very young Sissy Spacek opposite a 'James Dean' like -------- argggh!!! cant rembeber, in i believe a true story of a killing spree, which Springsteen wrote 'Nebraska, about. Similar atmosphere to Paris, funny enuf' must have caught a nerve with me, lol,

Enjoy, if you have not seen, and i look forward to some other obscure or mad suggestions, like Oldboy & Scarecrow! ok i'll stop now!

Dave Hitman Harvey
    [wannerbe film critic]
  • edited June 2010
    Gd shout Hitman as a young lad i would have loved to have been like a fearless noble hero such as El Cid,Sparticus and(soz gotta put 3) Taras Bulba unfortunately i was more like a character from Sc um(thats if you believe my probation officer) :~)
           lol this site doesn't like the word sc um so without thinking put the space between the s and c,
           3 guesses what other word this site doesn't like
  • edited June 2010
    we have a winner!! val kilmer says it with a big fat cigar in his mouth just before he guns down the leader of the cowboys. crackin film and val kilmers acting in that film is spot on!
    Posted by Eagle26
    he sayd it to Ringo when he wants to play for blood.

Good film, shame about Kurt Russel
  • edited June 2010
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: another film thread : What a Great list, must admit 2/3 not seen or heard of so will look them up out of respect to your great work!! Funny innit you make a list, then see other peoples lists and realisse you could put 7/8 new films into a ten compilation!! Noticible, that apart from a couple exceptions, [and SoldierBlue], bout the same 25 or so films keep appearing, in this and other threads!! Usually at least 4/5 of these in everyones top ten!! maybe apart fron yours Darntootin... So i thought...... .... How about we all suggest 2 great films we have loved, or affected our lives, that are maybe a bit more obscure, and not been mentioned regulary, or even at all!! Been thinking about this a while and it aint easy, cause most have had a mention, but here goes:- Paris, Texas  - Moving sound & atmosphere, Harry Dean Stanton, in a great character role again!! Jessica Lange, beautiful, sad & 'life-worn' Badlands - Very young Sissy Spacek opposite a 'James Dean' like -------- argggh!!! cant rembeber, in i believe a true story of a killing spree, which Springsteen wrote 'Nebraska, about. Similar atmosphere to Paris, funny enuf' must have caught a nerve with me, lol, Enjoy, if you have not seen, and i look forward to some other obscure or mad suggestions, like Oldboy & Scarecrow! ok i'll stop now! Dave Hitman Harvey [wannerbe film critic]
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Love it Mate.....

every week, "FilmFocus" presented by the Rt. Hon. Dave Hitman Harvey. You might have to watch about 107 films a week though. ;0)
  • edited June 2010
    Tough question, my top ten for today are:

The Hustler
    The Sting
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles
    Superman (The original)
    Up
    Se7en
    Halloween (Original)
    Glory
    The Eagle has Landed
    Transformers: The Movie - That's the cartoon original, not Michael Bay ripping up my childhood dreams with that jumped up Toy Advert.  And yes I know the original is a cartoon for kids and the animation isn't much cop for this day and age, but I still cry when Optimus Prime dies, I STILL CRY!!!
  • edited June 2010
    this is never easy  but here goes in no particular order

Nightmare Before Christmas
    Harvey
    Cat and the Canary (Bob Hope version)
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    North by Northwest
    The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
    A Matter of Life and Death
    Maltese Falcon
    The Ladykillers (Alec Guiness Version not the Tom Hanks attempt)

Aski :)

Just missing out

Electra Glide in Blue (1973) Weird but wonderful film

Doppleganger (1993) - Responsible for my Drew Barrymore Obsession ;)

Fail Safe (1958) - Henry Fonda at his best, but just beaten by his performance in Once upon a time in the west

Charade (1963) - The best non Hitchock, Hitchock-type movie
  • edited June 2010
    2 That haven't been mentioned......hmmmmmm a hard one

I'll go for a recomendation you can all watch first.

A great little comedy available at 9pm tonight on Film 4 called OFFICE SPACE. Check it out. It's very funny and will strike a chord with anyone who does or has ever worked in an office and hated it. It has jennifer aniston as the love interst but don't let that put you off as this not Rom Com and her role is really small and insignificant

This one was mentioned on another thread between HItman and Myself but i beleive it's a film few will have heard of or would ever have oportunity to stumble accross unless they were looking for it. its called THE HILL and has a steller cast including Sean Connery, Sir Michael Redgrave, Ozzie Davis, and many more. This is one for the fans on the Black And Whites but the atmosphere and intensity of this film is stunning

Check Em Out !!!
  • edited June 2010
    in no particular order:

Nightmare on Elm Street
    Pulp Fiction
    Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Silence of the Lambs
    Natural Born Killers
    The Damned United
    Blues Brothers
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    The Serpant and the Rainbow
    Reach for the Sky
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: another film thread : How about we all suggest 2 great films we have loved, or affected our lives, that are maybe a bit more obscure, and not been mentioned regulary, or even at all!! Been thinking about this a while and it aint easy, cause most have had a mention, but here goes:- Paris, Texas  - Moving sound & atmosphere, Harry Dean Stanton, in a great character role again!! Jessica Lange, beautiful, sad & 'life-worn' Badlands - Very young Sissy Spacek opposite a 'James Dean' like -------- argggh!!! cant rembeber, in i believe a true story of a killing spree, which Springsteen wrote 'Nebraska, about. Similar atmosphere to Paris, funny enuf' must have caught a nerve with me, lol, Enjoy, if you have not seen, and i look forward to some other obscure or mad suggestions, like Oldboy & Scarecrow! ok i'll stop now! Dave Hitman Harvey [wannerbe film critic]
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    You can't beat a bit of Harry Dean Stanton and he's great in Paris, Texas.

Badlands is terrific and along with about another 20 films was unlucky not to make it into the 20 that I eventually picked, but it was very close.

Two, more obscure films that I can't get enough of...

Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion (1972 Shunya Ito) / Female Convict Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 (1972 Shunya Ito) - The first two films in the Scorpion WIP/r*pe revenge series (there were 4 in total), these films take their typical exploitation themes into a crazed world of surrealist art. In the title role, Meiko Kaji is simply awsome, delivering a near mute performance as the avenging fury whose stare could chill the blood of even the toughest b*st*rds. Also look out for her in Blind Woman's Curse (1970 Teruo Ishii) and Lady Snowblood (1974 Fujita Toshiya)

Keoma (1976 Enzo G Castellari) - incredible spaghetti western starring Franco Nero (Django), its routine storyline is lifted by the directorial flourishes of Castellari and the amusing score by the De Angelis brothers where a guy (who sounds like Leonard Cohen) and gal sing about the on-screen action. 
  • edited June 2010
    this is never easy  but here goes in no particular order Nightmare Before Christmas Harvey Cat and the Canary (Bob Hope version) Once Upon a Time in the West North by Northwest The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad A Matter of Life and Death Maltese Falcon The Ladykillers (Alec Guiness Version not the Tom Hanks attempt) Aski :) Just missing out Electra Glide in Blue (1973) Weird but wonderful film Doppleganger (1993) - Responsible for my Drew Barrymore Obsession ;) Fail Safe (1958) - Henry Fonda at his best, but just beaten by his performance in Once upon a time in the west Charade (1963) - The best non Hitchock, Hitchock-type movie
    Posted by Aski
    Electra Glide in Blue - agreed, great one, first saw on Alex Cox, channel 4, film nite....The suiting up in cop uniform, attn. to detail with sunglasses etc. reminded me later when i saw the guy getting ready in 'American Pyscho' but with a 'Small Man Syndrome' lol
  • edited June 2010
    2 That haven't been mentioned......hmmmmmm a hard one I'll go for a recomendation you can all watch first. A great little comedy available at 9pm tonight on Film 4 called OFFICE SPACE . Check it out. It's very funny and will strike a chord with anyone who does or has ever worked in an office and hated it. It has jennifer aniston as the love interst but don't let that put you off as this not Rom Com and her role is really small and insignificant This one was mentioned on another thread between HItman and Myself but i beleive it's a film few will have heard of or would ever have oportunity to stumble accross unless they were looking for it. its called THE HILL and has a steller cast including Sean Connery, Sir Michael Redgrave, Ozzie Davis , and many more. This is one for the fans on the Black And Whites but the atmosphere and intensity of this film is stunning Check Em Out !!!
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Yep 'The Hill' Great one!!!! Nice one Aces, thats what we are talking about!!!
    This film got a few mentions on a thread couple of months ago, well worth a watch for the un-initiated, Roy Kinnear  had a great cameo part in this, I remember callin Ossie Davis the English Sidney Poitier, then found out he was American, lol, he has plyed in lots of recent films in a 'wise ol' New yorker' type role!
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: another film thread : You can't beat a bit of Harry Dean Stanton and he's great in Paris, Texas. Badlands is terrific and along with about another 20 films was unlucky not to make it into the 20 that I eventually picked, but it was very close. Two, more obscure films that I can't get enough of... Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion (1972 Shunya Ito) / Female Convict Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 (1972 Shunya Ito) - The first two films in the Scorpion WIP/r*pe revenge series (there were 4 in total), these films take their typical exploitation themes into a crazed world of surrealist art. In the title role, Meiko Kaji is simply awsome, delivering a near mute performance as the avenging fury whose stare could chill the blood of even the toughest b*st*rds. Also look out for her in Blind Woman's Curse (1970 Teruo Ishii) and Lady Snowblood (1974 Fujita Toshiya) Keoma (1976 Enzo G Castellari) - incredible spaghetti western starring Franco Nero (Django), its routine storyline is lifted by the directorial flourishes of Castellari and the amusing score by the De Angelis brothers where a guy (who sounds like Leonard Cohen) and gal sing about the on-screen action. 
    Posted by Darntootin
    Ok, will look these two up!!!
    Must admit found the Djanjo-type films bit corny & hard work compared to Sergios Eastwood spagetti's,
    Will take these two on board & make time to view, thanks mate
    Put another two up if you think of any, loving your detail

Dave 'Hitman' Harvey
  • edited June 2010
    The good, the bad & the ugly
    Smokey & the bandit
    Blazin saddles
    Terminator 2
    Rocky 3
    Dirty rotten scoundrels
    Grease
    Life of brian
    Trading places
    True lies

Pretty hard to choose but if these films are on i have to watch them.
  • edited June 2010
    2 that haven't been mentioned???

Human Traffic.

Twin Town.

Really funny.
  • edited June 2010
    in no particular order

cannibal holocaust
    the burning
    versus
    the devils backbone
    dawn of the dead ( the original )
    cannibal ferox
    the woman in black
    soylent green
    martyrs
    frontiers

as you can see im an avid horror fan ( 70's and 80's especially )
    and to be fair my list could go on and on, just chose a few of my faves
  • edited July 2010

Just seen theres a film on tonight called "derailed"

Im sure Ive seen it before..

What do proper "film watching people" think of this film? is it any good?

If u aint seen it, watch it tonight!!! Apologies for only an hours notice
  • edited August 2010
    I'm about to watch 'Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus'. I believe it's James Hartigan's favourite film in the whole world EVER.... although he'll probably make one of those easy to see through denials ;-)
    Twiglets and beer at the ready.
  • edited August 2010
    A great little comedy available at 9pm tonight on Film 4 called OFFICE SPACE . Check it out. It's very funny and will strike a chord with anyone who does or has ever worked in an office and hated it. It has jennifer aniston as the love interst but don't let that put you off as this not Rom Com and her role is really small and insignificant
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Yyyyyyyyyyyyeah, I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with you on that one.

• edited August 2010

My top 10 not in any particular order are:

1. Terminator 1
    2. Terminator 2- Judgement Day
    3. Officer and a Gentleman
    4. Ghost
    5. Kick Boxer
    6. Something`s gotta give
    7. 27.Dresses
    8. Ghost
    9. Alien
    10. Predator V Alien

Can I have one more please ` Silence of the Lambs`
  • edited August 2010

You can have 'Silence of the lambs' because T2 shouldn't be in the list (it's not as good the original) and Alien shouldn't be either because it's worse than Aliens ;-) So replace one of those with SOTL :-)

PS - Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus is really rubbish. It's actually embarrassing to watch - a bit like 'Fast And The Furious' was. Debbie Gibson used to be so good............ lol

• edited August 2010

I don`t want to replace one of them, I want them both! lol : ) x