You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

3bet pot, flop straight, scary turn - what to do?

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Villain is a decent reg.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    So I 3bet in position with suited ace.

First question would be do people think this is a decent move?

Second question is, do you bet the turn, if so - what size?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Villain
    Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £49.00
    CLIOKID Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £85.42
    John78660 Sit out        
      Your hole cards
    • A

tweeny15 Fold        
    DAVE757 Fold        
    Villian Raise   £1.75 £2.50 £47.25
    CLIOKID Raise   £6.00 £8.50 £79.42
    Villain Call   £4.50 £13.00 £42.75
    Flop

Villain
    Check        
    CLIOKID Bet   £9.75 £22.75 £69.67
    Villain
    Call   £9.75 £32.50 £33.00
    Turn

Villain Check        
  • edited June 2010
    i put him a pocket pair QQ JJ something like that. I would put him all in here i think if he has the flush draw on the flop he raises villain is a better player than to just call off his chips trying to hit he either has a pocket pair or he has hit a set

p.s IMO i don't like the 3 bet i think you are putting too much money into a hand that unless that flop comes your not ever really happy even if the A comes on the flop are you really happy with your 4 kicker ermmm i don't think we are happy so as i say IMO i 3 bet with a better starting hand than that gl at the tables!
  • edited June 2010

im putting villian on pocket pair jacks or above the check on the flop and turn looks like hes sitting on aces or kings and is waiting for you to shove all in the club worries you but if this guy is a good reg would he have called a near £10 raise fishing for the flush a pot size bet puts him all in and thats the only move for me.
    the fact you are calling him the villian makes me think hes actually got pocket 5s and hits the quads or house on the river.

• edited June 2010

Wow, what a situation, great hand to post.

I havent got a clue......

Will await the answer (to the question, not the result of the hand) keenly might save me 300 quid a week :)

EDIT - watched a video this morning by daniel neg - about small balling - I think it was based mainly on tournys, but could apply here.

Think as you have position, you could check behind, and call a river value bet, or indeed value bet the river yourself if the river is a non-club and villain checks.

He listed loads of reasons why.....amongst the,......

You dont get buffed by a worse hand as you control the pot size so you can afford to call on the river.
    You extract value from worse hands (overpairs) who may well value bet the river.
    You avoid having to guess your opponents hand.

He reckons its worth getting out drawn on a few occasions to avoid tournament bullets (or i guess here, its 'stack bullets' if there is such a thing)

So if your up against QQ/KK/AA with 1 club, sometimes checking behind, will allow oppo to river the flush, but his argument is this is easy to spot, and therefore, its an easy fold alot of the time (oppo dependant).

Dunno if it makes sense, will do better to me later when I put it into practise in some real game situations.
  • edited June 2010
    They cant be that good of a reg as their calling 3bets out of position, as this hand is a blind v blind battle they could have any overpair to the flop (66-jj), so i would just stick them all-in as they can call you with alot worst hands given the blind v blind dynamic and you dont want an overcard to come on the river and scare a hand like 88.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 3bet pot, flop straight, scary turn - what to do?:
    They cant be that good of a reg as their calling 3bets out of position, as this hand is a blind v blind battle they could have any overpair to the flop (66-jj), so i would just stick them all-in as they can call you with alot worst hands given the blind v blind dynamic and you dont want an overcard to come on the river and scare a hand like 88.
    Posted by DeuceAK-47
    Do you not sacrifice losing value for your hand here, in order to save money when you are behind?

Checking here can get alot of worse hands to value bet the river?

Whereas betting and allowing better hands, and worse hands, to shove, gives me a situation where Im pretty much guessing?

Am I way off here applying a tourny theory vid to a cash game in this sorta situation? - Is it get it in, if he turned a flush take your medicine and re-load?

• edited June 2010
    i hate everything about this hand

with 2 things being paramount :

you've posted no tendencies on his folding to 3bet or play within 3bet pots as to whether he plays certain hands fast or slow or his perceived range for flatting to begin with to make the 3bet +ev to begin with

and the fact you're in this spot and have no idea what to do next
  • edited June 2010
    oh and the fact you're even contemplating checking the turn is totally insane
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by zing
    Why?

And is checking the turn in tournaments less insane than it would be in cash games? - in your opinion?
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by zing
    You're bet/folding the turn then?

@OP: Villain's stack = Pot at this point, so if you make a bet on the turn then the hand (should) end here, whether it's because one of you folds or all the money is in there. So I guess you need to ask yourself whether or not we're happy playing for villain's stack in this situ. I'm not, so i'm with DOHHHH, i'm checking behind then calling most bets on the river.

And I like the 3-bet pre, we've got position with a decent HU hand (have the best hand a lot of the time). If they want to call a 3-bet OOP, gl to them.
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by DeuceAK-47
    Shoving is a very bad IMO. "Scare a hand like 88"- 88 is never stacking off, shoving will defo scare them. If u shove, nothing can call that u are beating. Might be lucky if they have 77, but still a half decent player wont be stacking off 77 there.
  • edited June 2010
    i don't play tournaments dohh so i don't know 

but never am i bet/folding given stack sizes relative to pot either which is why the flop sizing is kinda bad cause you now you look strong whatever you bet cause it looks like you've got no fold equity and villain will perceive you very strong whatever you bet if he does have a clue

better off potting flop so turn shove is less than pot or bet/bet/shoving unless 4th club comes
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 3bet pot, flop straight, scary turn - what to do? : Do you not sacrifice losing value for your hand here, in order to save money when you are behind? Checking here can get alot of worse hands to value bet the river? Whereas betting and allowing better hands, and worse hands, to shove, gives me a situation where Im pretty much guessing? Am I way off here applying a tourny theory vid to a cash game in this sorta situation? - Is it get it in, if he turned a flush take your medicine and re-load?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    We only have a pot sized bet left so im just sticking them all-in as an overcard could scare them and a club could give them the best hand.
    Also i would not implement strategy's from tourny videos to cash very often, the pros play smallball mainly in tournys (although they do use this strategy in cash) as they dont want to risk their whole tournament when they can outplay players in small pots, Phil Helmuth said he would not go allin with AK if the other player went allin with AQ and turned his cards over at the start of the tourny as his skill advantage is so much higher than anyone else at the table (where in a cash game he would obviously call.)
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 3bet pot, flop straight, scary turn - what to do? : Shoving is a very bad IMO. "Scare a hand like 88"- 88 is never stacking off, shoving will defo scare them. If u shove, nothing can call that u are beating. Might be lucky if they have 77, but still a half decent player wont be stacking off 77 there.
    Posted by 5toneFace
    Its hard to accurately say without knowing the dynamic between the two players but if the villian had an overpair there like 88-JJ and they were going to fold to a pot sized bet from me on the turn when any flush card hits or a scare card like A,K,Q etc then it makes it more of a push to slightly balance my huge bluffing range.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 3bet pot, flop straight, scary turn - what to do? : Its hard to accurately say without knowing the dynamic between the two players but if the villian had an overpair there like 88-JJ and they were going to fold to a pot sized bet from me on the turn when any flush card hits or a scare card like A,K,Q etc then it makes it more of a push to slightly balance my huge bluffing range.
    Posted by DeuceAK-47
    Fair enough if thats what you think. Id be very surprised if a half decent reg calls with 88-JJ tho. Im not sure how this is balancing out your bluffing range as u kind of are bluffing. Maybe bluffing with the best hand. 
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 3bet pot, flop straight, scary turn - what to do? : Fair enough if thats what you think. Id be very surprised if a half decent reg calls with 88-JJ tho. Im not sure how this is balancing out your bluffing range as u kind of are bluffing. Maybe bluffing with the best hand. 
    Posted by 5toneFace
    The turn is an great scare card though, if i check back with my straights, sets and overpairs like AA-QQ then the only time i would be going all-in on the turn is with the nuts or air, since we hardly ever hit the nuts to be balanced i could hardly ever bluff this turn. (some players if they actually hit the flush would slow play and check the turn, so then the only hands in their range when they shove the turn is bluffs/semi bluffs which is obviously a massive leak.)
  • edited June 2010
    Hmmmmmm, ok, your starting to get lost in the hand. I think you are thinking too much about it, and overcomplicating it. I'm not going to say anymore. I dont actually like giving advice on the forum as 1) it improves other players, and why would I want to do that, and 2) it lets my rivals know how I think. 
    I was just bored earlier so decided to comment on this hand, as its an interesting spot. I dont think there is only 1 right way to play this. I know how I would play it though. 
    My only advice would be to keep it basic. Remember its only 50nl, not 1000nl. Good Luck at the tables. 
  • edited June 2010
    If their not good enough to exploit are unbalanced lines then i guess a check on the turn is okay if you think they will fold a hand like jacks on the turn (i still think alot of players will call as they fold less in 3bet pots and in blind vr blind battles with a hand) if we go all-in, but if we check the turn they might bluff or call a river bet on the river.
    That line is still debatable even then as there is half the effective stacks in the pot already so im quite happy taking the pot down now and not giving them a free card to hit a flush or even bluff us off the best hand if a club hits the river.

I think posting hands, helps improve players games but each to their own, good luck at the tables.
  • edited June 2010
    Bet and then call a raise.

As zing said if  you dont have any reads or reason to 3 bet why do it?
  • edited June 2010
    Bet and then call a raise. As zing said if  you dont have any reads or reason to 3 bet why do it?
    Posted by beaneh
    I hadn't played a hand in a while and my BB had been raised everytime when folded round to the SB so decided to play back.

And thats the honest truth.

I did exactly as Dohhhh said.

I decided to check and call any non club river.

As it played I checked and a 4th club hit the board and it went check check and villain showed JsJc.

I think I probably lost less than I could've but still don't think I played right. I was just about to shove turn then thought better of it.

I thought there was a better chance of villain making a bet on river with a worse hand than my shove on turn getting called by a worse hand.
  • edited June 2010
    if villain is bad enough to c/c flop with a flushdraw then he is bad enough to stack off with 88+
    jam
  • edited June 2010
    Bet/jam turn then obvs you have to call a reraise if you dont just jam. You say you lost less than you could've... but surely you would of won more long term by shoving turn?
  • edited June 2010
    Bet/jam turn then obvs you have to call a reraise if you dont just jam. You say you lost less than you could've... but surely you would of won more long term by shoving turn?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Which is why I still said despite losing less than I could've I still thought I played it wrong !
  • edited June 2010
    as said by zing and beaneh disgusting 3 bet without reads and you need to think at the start of each hand what you want to bet to setup a shove at some stage.... but as played i wouldnt mind a half bet or less to make it look like you have a fold in you hoping for a spew out from an OP....you look too strong you shoving and any 3/4 bet is obv a pot committing one.
  • edited June 2010

What 'reads' would you need to have to justify a 3 bet here with ace 4?

Give me some characteristics/tendancies of a player you would 3 bet here........

"
    Design your own villain"
  • edited June 2010
    What 'reads' would you need to have to justify a 3 bet here with ace 4? Give me some characteristics/tendancies of a player you would 3 bet here ........                                             " Design your own villain"
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

always raises the small blind, always folds to 3 bets

always raise calls A2 and A3 and diamond flush draw combos and folds everything else including AA????
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 3bet pot, flop straight, scary turn - what to do? : always raises the small blind, always folds to 3 bets always raise calls A2 and A3 and diamond flush draw combos and folds everything else including AA????
    Posted by beaneh
    haha I played 50p/£1 last night and it was unreal the amount of times I had to do this.

Kept believing I was setting the hand up where I do it with AA but it never came :(
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 3bet pot, flop straight, scary turn - what to do? : haha I played 50p/£1 last night and it was unreal the amount of times I had to do this. Kept believing I was setting the hand up where I do it with AA but it never came :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

was it the same person?

did you ever 4 bet? how did you react?

did you tighten up your opening range or what?
  • edited June 2010

Yeh it wasn't always blind on blind, but it seemed most times I opened, he would come into the pot, wether it be a call, or mainly a raise.

I won a couple of hands v him.

He obviously targetted me as a weak player at the table, never played him before, maybe he's seen me, or maybe he just knew I was playing higher than usual and wanted to put pressure on me - maybe he even had a hand everytime, but doubt it.

Most of the time I just folded, as they were hands like 89s, small pairs, I 4 bet with AK and he folded.

Didn't go on for long, he left, was a shame was enjoying the challenge at that level which I dnt normally get playing schoolboy abc poker at 15/30 and 20/40.

I had to keep raising with these hands, so that when the big hand did come along, I'd get action. I guess if Id folded to all his 3 bets prior to 'big hand' though, when I continue it's gonna set alarm bells goin and probably wont get much business post flop.

How do u cope with this? - Tighten up ur raising range against this type of player? - or continue and speculate with the low pairs, suited cons hands, OOP against a cerial 3 better?(I wouldnt fancy playing OOP against him)

Was only 100bb's deep when he was at the table, things got better when he left :) but committing 13bbs OOP with those sorta hands surely cant be good?

• edited June 2010
    Yeh it wasn't always blind on blind, but it seemed most times I opened, he would come into the pot, wether it be a call, or mainly a raise. I won a couple of hands v him. He obviously targetted me as a weak player at the table, never played him before, maybe he's seen me, or maybe he just knew I was playing higher than usual and wanted to put pressure on me - maybe he even had a hand everytime, but doubt it. Most of the time I just folded, as they were hands like 89s, small pairs, I 4 bet with AK and he folded. Didn't go on for long, he left, was a shame was enjoying the challenge at that level which I dnt normally get playing schoolboy abc poker at 15/30 and 20/40. I had to keep raising with these hands, so that when the big hand did come along, I'd get action. I guess if Id folded to all his 3 bets prior to 'big hand' though, when I continue it's gonna set alarm bells goin and probably wont get much business post flop.How do u cope with this? - Tighten up ur raising range against this type of player? - or continue and speculate with the low pairs, suited cons hands, OOP against a cerial 3 better?(I wouldnt fancy playing OOP against him) Was only 100bb's deep when he was at the table, things got better when he left :) but committing 13bbs OOP with those sorta hands surely cant be good?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

This was why I asked my questions above, because how you react to the persons strategy is very important. The quicker you can pick up on what they are doing and adjust the less money the can win from you just by doing that one action.

If you are opening with any pair, any suited ace, any two broadways, and suited 1 and 2 gappers (45s+ 64s+ etc) then that's about 24% of hands.

If you are only continuing with 66+, AKo+ and AQs+ then you are now continuing with 5.6% of your starting hands. or 24/5.6 or about 23% of the hands you open, which means you are folding 75% of the time that you open.

If you are playing nl100 and open the btn to 3, the bb makes it 9.

he is risking 6 to win 0.5+3+3, forget about the small blind and he is risking 6 to win 6.  if you are folding >50% of the time then he is showing an instant profit just by 3 betting your button open, and that is not taking into account any time he makes a hand or makes you fold post flop which will all add to the value of the 3 bet.

You've got to remember that the higher his 3betting frequency the weaker his 3 betting range is. Which means you should be calling less in position for implied odds and more in position because you can a) have the best hand and b) take it away on different board textures that hit your perceived range. Geddit?