You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

3bet pot, flop straight, scary turn - what to do?

2»

Comments

• edited June 2010
    beaneh did you tell doyle what to put in super system?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 3bet pot, flop straight, scary turn - what to do?:
    beaneh did you tell doyle what to put in super system?
    Posted by BlackFish3

Not all of it, interestingly enough though the one time i've played with him I got to the table and he instantly said 'have I played with you before son?' 

I mumbled something rubbish and proceeded to dribble on myself and go out slowly......... good times
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 3bet pot, flop straight, scary turn - what to do? : This was why I asked my questions above, because how you react to the persons strategy is very important. The quicker you can pick up on what they are doing and adjust the less money the can win from you just by doing that one action. If you are opening with any pair, any suited ace, any two broadways, and suited 1 and 2 gappers (45s+ 64s+ etc) then that's about 24% of hands. If you are only continuing with 66+, AKo+ and AQs+ then you are now continuing with 5.6% of your starting hands. or 24/5.6 or about 23% of the hands you open, which means you are folding 75% of the time that you open. If you are playing nl100 and open the btn to 3, the bb makes it 9. he is risking 6 to win 0.5+3+3, forget about the small blind and he is risking 6 to win 6.  if you are folding >50% of the time then he is showing an instant profit just by 3 betting your button open, and that is not taking into account any time he makes a hand or makes you fold post flop which will all add to the value of the 3 bet. You've got to remember that the higher his 3betting frequency the weaker his 3 betting range is. Which means you should be calling less in position for implied odds and more in position because you can a) have the best hand and b) take it away on different board textures that hit your perceived range. Geddit?
    Posted by beaneh
    Feel free to call me a dumb ar se but I don't get this?  Is he not risking 9 to win 3?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 3bet pot, flop straight, scary turn - what to do? : Feel free to call me a dumb ar se but I don't get this?  Is he not risking 9 to win 3?
    Posted by Patching99

if there is a raise to 3 from the button with the blinds at 0.5/1

the big blind has to call 2 to see the flop if he is going to raise he 'calls the 2' and then puts in his raise, this amount is the amount to be called and so we add up what is already in the pot and use these two figures to work out our pot odds.

so from 3 to 9 

he puts the 3 in and raises 6. he is risking 6 to win the money in the pot which is 3 (the original raise) + (the small blind 0.5 which I removed in my eg to make it easier!) + 3 (the money he put in to match the original raise).
  • edited June 2010
    btn 3
    sb 0.5
    bb 1

if bb makes it 9bb he(or she (not rli)) is risking 8 to win 4.5

oh and ur drooling at doyle cost me a % of you i believe, i wants a refund
  • edited June 2010
    thanks babes. impossible to work out 8/4.5 though as we discussed. I prefer my basic/incorrect maths :D

And your refund was sent 2 days ago mate to "that guy...... erm his msn nickname is ****** isn't that enough for a bank transfer?!" ;) Lemme know when you get it.
  • edited June 2010
    nah i meant when i took a % of you for the $5k? event they had at dtd ages ago and brunson paralysed your poker skills with his awesome hat
  • edited June 2010
    nah i meant when i took a % of you for the $5k? event they had at dtd ages ago and brunson paralysed your poker skills with his awesome hat
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

yeah I know what you meant, i'm happy with how I played still but having a hand or a vaguely profitable situation would have been nice!