You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

T-o-T becomes a REBUY?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    i like the idea of different buy-ins. i have a small bankroll so the smaller version would suit me down to the ground. i like the format and will play those that i can afford at the time. not sure on the rebuy idea yet but haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet. just have to see how it goes.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: T-o-T becomes a REBUY?:
    Hi Tikay I agree that you should change things and although the shovefest re-buy is not my cup of tea it should be tried. Do you think that ANTE`S would also be good to roll out? This would probably get most of the televised tournaments to completion before the midnight window, would be good to see the tournament completion on the night like we used to and not 3-4 days later What are your thoughts oh wise one Gary
    Posted by IAMALLIN2
    Personally (just my own view) I'm not wholly in favour of Antes generally on Sky Poker, as very few Tourneys are suitably structured such that Antes would have the desired effect.

The effect of Antes is to generate action, to spice & speed things up, & most Tourneys here hardly need that, imo! If we want faster/slower Tourneys, fine, just adjust the structure, but Antes, no.

Antes really are best suited to longer & deeper structured Tourneys.  
  • edited June 2010
    not my cup of tea either. i think i will play somethin else insted. dont understand, why change somethin that has become a great tourny and turn it into somethin else. 12min blinds nice steady structure and now will become a shove fest. tut tut tut. ps waiting for primo to go to a rebuy tourny. phil
    Posted by pod1
    Agree with this, i know ur bringing in the same tourny with different buy ins during the week bu8tits prrooved so popular on a firday and ahs beaten the main event in numbers.  Friday seems to be a popular night for members couldnt the rebuy be held on another night.

It just seems a shame to spoil what has been a hugely succesful tounament, friday is obviously a popular day for it, if it had been failing id understand the change.

i will play the £5.50 one on which ever ngiht it is held just hope it keep the same amount of numbers, at the monet people love it because they get the chance to play agaisnt you, are you gonig to be able to commit to play 3 times a week , as well as the tikay sleepstack on a wednesday.

Hope this dont come across as moaning, hate moaners and im only posting becasue england didnt win adn im psissed off lol.

Gareth

p.s ive been over my psoted and coreected 100 spelling mistakes i know theres more but have given up sry
  • edited June 2010

I `v  Been in once and will go again, but not this friday ENGLAND playin again ? I will also only pay £5.50 and when i`m out i`m out ?? 

• edited June 2010
    ps--peeps-- If you don't like football---I'm watching the 24 hour le mans race--It's free on speed tv-- great race this-- over 18 hours to go! pps-- If your speeds a bit slow-right click screen and set to low or medium quality-- it's still good on low, and won't use so much data      http://stream.speedtv.com/24-hours-of-le-mans/
    Posted by oynutter

Cheers for that link.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: T-o-T becomes a REBUY? : I don't know any Live venues that currently add rake to Rebuys. I used to know several that did, but the punters would not play them, so they reverted to Plan B. But they upped the Reg Fee on the original Buy-In!  It's fortunate that for us who enjoy poker, there is an abundance of Online choice, & that's the thing that ensures players get a fair deal, because they can choose what "package" best suits them. The free market is a wonderful thing, as it ensures equilibrium between consumers, & service providers/suppliers.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thats a lot of words that mean,-- if you don't like it, play elsewhere---unless I'm very much mistaken?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: T-o-T becomes a REBUY? :
    ps--peeps-- If you don't like football---I'm watching the 24 hour le mans race--It's free on speed tv-- great race this-- over 18 hours to go! pps-- If your speeds a bit slow-right click screen and set to low or medium quality-- it's still good on low, and won't use so much data      http://stream.speedtv.com/24-hours-of-le-mans/ Posted by oynutter
    #  Cheers for that link.
    Posted by SUDDS
    No worries sudds, just loggin in again myself, I been there a few times-- mad about jags!!--used to renvoate them, absolutely fantastic experience if you ever get a chance to go there!
  • edited June 2010

Nice work, thanks Tikay, As you say there will be options open to all, and that can only be a good thing. Hopefully once they are all established and hopefully they draw more players then hopefully all the options will have a good amount of runners so that we keep all of these tournies. That would be great.

My BR at present would not stretch to 5.50 rebuys although i don`t mind the rebuy/addon tournies because it brings in bigger prize pools and places paid. I`m wondering,would it be possible to bring in a variety of buy-in  staked rebuy tourney options like what is proposed for the freezeout tournies? Thanks hun xxxx
  • edited June 2010
    Good news that there'll be more good structered tournements.  I'm open minded about rebuys/add-ons, and will have to play a few more before I'm decided either way.  I entered the 10pm velocity last night after donking out of the ToT and main ds.  The velocity is now a rebuy for as many times as you like in the first hour and also has an add-on after the first hour (but due to the fast structure it is a bit pointless rebuying after the first 30-40 minutes as you are already buying to be a short stack with c10 bb or less.  The add-on in that tournement also seems pointless, as after the first hour stack sizes are generally at least 6x the add-on.)  Anyway I didn't clock that it was an 'R' tourn until after it had started, but without rebuying or adding-on I managed to take the beauty down for over £300, so that it the way to play these tourns I guess, win the beauties without paying any extra - and get extra valooo from those that have.  I don't usually enter the velocity these days but decided to defend my title tonight and just to prove that it was a fluke I went out after 45 minutes and 2 rebuys.

I doubt I'll play the £2.20 entry but will play the others whenever I am in
  • edited June 2010
    my view on rebuys has just changed, cant even really remember what i put in my post not that long ago but entered the £300 guaranteed velocity, didnt notice it was a rebuy, i know the big r gives it away but ive had a few tins tonight, anyway i didnt need a rebuy or addon, not sure what the tactics are with addons at the break i was leader by 5k so didnt bother assume that was right???

Anyway didnt quite take it down close in chip stacks when i pushed with q9 suited and ran into aq suited but still a relaly enjoyable result, no doubt if id played sober tho it would have cost me at least 4 rebuys.

The thing i found conusing the blinds wrre 1500/3000 and people were still rebuying for 3000 chips, not complaining just menat more for me :) anyway heres the result
     well done to sticky for winning it.
    1sticky1967 - £171 + 30 League Points235suited - £114 + 26 League Points3JAMIEDODGE - £79.80 + 22 League Points4lanky400 - £57 + 18 League Points5dgilly - £45.60 + 14 League Points6NODOUBT - £39.90 + 10 League Points7jenko1978 - £34.20 + 8 League Points8Manc99 - £28.50 + 6 League Points
  • edited June 2010
    Tikay please make the dreezeout any day but Tuesday, Tuesdays i cant do because of my live game i run. And i hate re-buys almost as much as i hate mayo
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: T-o-T becomes a REBUY? : Thats a lot of words that mean,-- if you don't like it, play elsewhere---unless I'm very much mistaken?
    Posted by oynutter
    Yes you are, to use your words,  "very much mistaken".

It means that the free market ensures Customers have a choice. Which, in turn, means, that suppliers/service providers need to always try to innovate & improve, to generate more business whilst retaining their existing Client-Base. And those that don't will fail.

• edited June 2010
    I don't see how more rake is an innovation, or an improvement, you know my views on the low stakes rake already.

I think sky could at least half the rake on rebuys, personally I don't know of a site that charges full rake (or any rake) on rebuys
  • edited June 2010
    I don't see how more rake is an innovation, or an improvement, you know my views on the low stakes rake already.  I think sky could at least half the rake on rebuys, personally I don't know of a site that charges full rake (or any rake) on rebuys
    Posted by oynutter
    I rember one site, wont mention names out of fairness. But they do these freeroll rebuys, the rebuy is free but 1p rake.
  • edited June 2010
    Hi Tikay, just a couple of points about this....

Firstly, I must congratulate you on the structure of the tourney. It is wonderfully playable and strikes a happy medium between the normal faster structures and the deep stacks (not that I'm biased in any way, you understand!) ;)

In the three weeks it has been running there has been great support for it, which leads me to the questions. Firstly, as it's been so popular, why change it so quickly? I know you said that it was originally planned to include re-buys but maybe it was a blessing in disguise when that didn't quite happen! There appears to be some unrest about its introduction so wouldn't it be a better option to put re-buys on the new tourneys rather than on this one?

Also, is there a catchy new name for these new tourneys? In my opinion, the reason for the popularity of this tournament has a lot to do with your association with it! "Take On Tikay" is an eye-catcher when people look at the tournament list (go figure! lol) and with a reasonably priced buy-in and good structure people have decided to give it a go! So will these new tourneys have a similarly eye-catching impact? And will they be put on at the same time (8.30pm is just right!)? I certainly hope so because it would be such a shame if they did not attract the numbers!

Incidentally, I don't mind re-buys and will happily play this whenever I can! ;)

Chris
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: T-o-T becomes a REBUY? : I rember one site, wont mention names out of fairness. But they do these freeroll rebuys, the rebuy is free but 1p rake.
    Posted by The_Don90
    lol--sounds fun!!-- Now thats an innovation-innit !!
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: T-o-T becomes a REBUY? : lol--sounds fun!!-- Now thats an innovation-innit !!
    Posted by oynutter
    I found the main problem with it was there was 4000 people in it. 3000 of them bought at least one rebuy, one guy bout 200 rebuys which meant he had to actually win it to break even. But because of the set up of it being rake, no extra money was added to the pot, so why rebuy?
  • edited June 2010
    Well, you have to rebuy if you want another chance to win the pot--- I sometimes play a 10p rebuy, with a 50 quid guarantee, its a shove fest at first, with the whole table going all in until  everyone has 4 or 5 times the starting stack, then it settles down--- but its worth going all in with any two if you know there will be 6 or 7 callers, as you only have to win once to have a good chance of winning once the rebuy period ends--- Its just a laugh at these stakes, but in a five quid tourney, only a few players cwould use such tactics
  • edited June 2010
    Well, you have to rebuy if you want another chance to win the pot--- I sometimes play a 10p rebuy, with a 50 quid guarantee, its a shove fest at first, with the whole table going all in until  everyone has 4 or 5 times the starting stack, then it settles down--- but its worth going all in with any two if you know there will be 6 or 7 callers, as you only have to win once to have a good chance of winning once the rebuy period ends--- Its just a laugh at these stakes, but in a five quid tourney, only a few players cwould use such tactics
    Posted by oynutter
    In that sence yes i understand that but its getting added to the pot usually. In the case of my one a guy re-bought £2 worth of rake, the winner only got £2 so even if he wins he only breaks even.
  • edited June 2010
    Are you trying to tell me theres another nutter that plays poker?

shocked

tunbridge wells
  • edited June 2010
    maybe the wsop main event should be a rebuy tourny, just think of the rake!!!!. i cant think of 1 other game/sport that once you are out/finished/done/beatin, you can go" heres some more money can i join back in" if you want to spend more money put it on another tourny, at least you will be starting the game with the same amount of chips as everyone else and not x2, x3 or 4x behind the guys at the top of the leader board. i agree tk ,more choice  for the consumer is great , and yes you dont have to buy in and add on, but, and it is a big but i feel the re buy is offered to players at a time when emotions are at there highest (when you have just lost) to maybe a bad beat or a suck out. you automatically want to get back in there and fight. its human nature!!! . if all people played poker with a clear and level head ( most dont, including myself) and said to themselves" i will play this and allow myself 1 buyin" then thats fine, but like i said earlier when we lose and the endorphines and adrenaline is pumping round the body immediately  after the showdown, we are at are most vulnerable. not saying this is your problem or skys, but no site condones playing under the influence of drugs and alcohol so why allow a player under the influence of  stronger drugs to spend more money 5 secs after this rush. just think it is morally wrong. phil
  • edited June 2010
    Are you trying to tell me theres another nutter that plays poker?                              shocked                                      tunbridge wells
    Posted by oynutter
    I think theres a few.

Although Oynutter, is by far the most reasonable.
  • edited June 2010

If the structure remains the same, then blinds at the end of the rebuy period will only be 50/100.

Therefore you can guarantee a stack of 7.5k, 75 big blinds, at the end of level one, for 3 buy ins, (fee, 1 rebuy to 5k and an add on) - £16.50 same as the buy in for the main event that night

The rebuy here wont effect the play too much, maybe people will be gambling/racing with AK/AQ and likewise 77/88/99 - but if theyre shoving wide, with the structure in the first hour, they are just going to get picked off.

I hope people play the rebuy, give it a chance, rather than see the 'R' sign and ignore it, which I fear many will. As Gareth proved with his result above - theres every chance you can go deep for the initial entry fee and benefit from a bigger prize pool.

Nice result fella.

Imagine running KK into AA first hand of the tournament and be able to have another go! :) - Reckon theyre the only sort of rebuys you're gonna get with this structure.
  • edited June 2010

I do think tk is between a rock and a hard place with this mtt.

Rake v long structure !

I will play this on Friday and give it ago.

My fear is this mtt was only in its infancy and

was not broken .

i just hope that it is not broken now !

• edited June 2010
    The phrase "They wouldn't let it lie" somehow springs to mind.

Friday's tourney is now way,way out of my price range but even if I could stump up the cash to ensure I had at least one re-buy and the add on at my disposal its suddenly turned into a format I wouldn't touch with a very long barge poll.

So hats off to the proposed £2.20 freeze out version - will welcome that with open arms 
  • edited June 2010
    Rebuys are what you want to make them and shouldn't be written off. The most popular tournaments on other sites are invariably rebuys.

I played the £600 Guaranteed Rebuy last night. The total entry fees 'at kickoff' were about £300. After the rebuy/add-on period ended the tournament had exceeded the guarantee by just a few pounds, so there was an average of one additional buy-in per player overall. The tournament wasn't a shove-fest and I didn't see anyone playing particularly loosely. The difference was that after an hour the field had remained the same as when it started. I took the add-on, so the entry cost for me was £10 and IMO a field of 51 players with a Prize pool of £600 is good business once it becomes a freezeout. 

It was a good tournament and spoiled by just one thing. I was completely dominated all through it by Kiwi who went on to crush me in the H2H. I was struggling for any playable hands for most of the tournament and without the option to add-on I couldn't have lasted to the very end.

All in all it was a good experience and many congrats and well played to Kiwiluckbox :o)
  • edited June 2010
    old saying " just because you can, doesnt mean you should"
  • edited June 2010
    old saying " just because you can, doesnt mean you should"
    Posted by pod1
    As far as rebuying is concerned that's spot on ...... also because you can doesn't mean you are compelled to. Those that wish to rebuy are only adding to the prizepool. It's their choice, don't knock it.
  • edited June 2010
    aint knocking it alan, suits some people, but it just changes the dynamics of the game, and i just dont like it. obviously a failing on my part.
  • edited June 2010

After discussion with other forum deepstack players and doing some research online ,

i have decided not to play this take on tikay mmmm deepstack .

pity really it was the best value fiver game on skypoker .

from my research online concerning rebuy mtts ,

the experts recommend don't enter these unless you plan to rebuy 5 times and

the buy back in has no rake on it .

in my opinion i believe it will turn this deepstack in to a turbo mtt .