You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MY GIRLFRIEND OR POKER?

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi all dont know if you are single, married or in a relationship. But if your like me, you spend a lot of time playing poker and convincing the girlfreind its worth spending so much time on because it will make you both rich and ill be able to buy you a nice diamond ring or holiday. But its not always as easy as that and even though mine dosnt mind, i know she does really! When she says are you coming up to bed and i reply yes i wont be long i just have to finish this game. When really what i mean is 'im gonna be up all night and ive lost again'. And when I actually go to bed and she asks did I win and I say "nearly some donk just knocked me out with a stupid call with J 2 against my AA and i went out on the bubble. I try to explain the hand to her and she just looks at me as too say what on earth are you talking about i dont care your late for bed, without saying a word. And all i want is some understanding or someone to blame for my bad play. Its really just to make me feel better or an excuse for staying up so late.

So ive started this thread to see what excuses you use or how you deal with your partner when like me i was supposed to do the decorating while she was away but instead played poker. What reasons do you give to justify playing poker is a good thing that will benifit you both or am I on a road to ruin when she says its poker or me YOUR D U M P E D!

Not that she would lol she loves me too much ;)

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Turn her to the dark side like I did, then watch her make more money than you! that's the way to do it ;)
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: MY GIRLFRIEND OR POKER?:
    Turn her to the dark side like I did, then watch her make more money than you! that's the way to do it ;)
    Posted by Grimstar30
    good idea Grimstar but i think it will take some convicing if she plays poker like she logs onto face book she will be a dam good player :)
  • edited August 2009

i have gone for number one, tell her i will be right there after his game..... i think we both know i dont mean it, its just something we say now.. infact i told her i was coming to bed two games ago and i am waiting for the third to start...

i will of course try to sneek into bed at 4am without waking her, if she does wake up i will try the "i came to bed hours ago and just went to the toilet" routine. i dont think she has ever fallen for it, but god loves a trier. :)

• edited August 2009
    my gf asks me often , what is more important for you . poker or me ?????????????  since , she asked the first time ,my poker has got allot better , my bluffing skills have improved tenfold. 
  • edited August 2009
    When you get to my age she doesn't care if you are late to bed. I just tell mine that I will see her in the morning.
    I think the onlly person older than me on Sky Poker is Tikay and he only has his cat to worry about. I wonder if the cat gives him the evils for staying up late.
  • edited August 2009
    dazler thats 1 the best post on here if u ask me m8, am sure when u was writing that u was reading my mind...... sure thats a killers song 2 lol, oh hold on shes shoutin me........... i just say im still in on final table wont be long, but then me like u go up the 13 wooden hills wiv my tail between my legs............. going over and over the hand i exited on should i have folded? 2 be honest if you seen my lady you would log of POKER and run up the clappers. but like u say if i can get her of facebook,  great post daz
  • edited August 2009
     Dazler    food for thought

"In the game of life, women are the rake."
    Edward Norton, from Rounders, 1998

"No wife can endure a gambling husband, unless he is a steady winner. "
    Thomas Robert Dewar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right i'm off to bed now, she's asleep  !!   I know this because her snoring has woke the dog up (marvelous)

• edited August 2009
    i have gone for number one, tell her i will be right there after his game..... i think we both know i dont mean it, its just something we say now.. infact i told her i was coming to bed two games ago and i am waiting for the third to start... i will of course try to sneek into bed at 4am without waking her, if she does wake up i will try the "i came to bed hours ago and just went to the toilet" routine. i dont think she has ever fallen for it, but god loves a trier. :)
    Posted by mike1975
    yea ive tried that old trick and i dont think it works cos ive still got my cloths on and she wakes up just as the change out of my pockets fall on the floor :)
  • edited August 2009
    my gf asks me often , what is more important for you . poker or me ?????????????  since , she asked the first time ,my poker has got allot better , my bluffing skills have improved tenfold. 
    Posted by PILLOWMAN
    Love that one PILLOWMAN LOL but my girlfriends like a lie detector maybe i should wear sunglasses like at the table
  • edited August 2009
    When you get to my age she doesn't care if you are late to bed. I just tell mine that I will see her in the morning. I think the onlly person older than me on Sky Poker is Tikay and he only has his cat to worry about. I wonder if the cat gives him the evils for staying up late.
    Posted by Timbobo
    I usualy forget to feed the cat luckily my girlfriend dosnt forget to feed me.
  • edited August 2009
    dazler thats 1 the best post on here if u ask me m8, am sure when u was writing that u was reading my mind...... sure thats a killers song 2 lol, oh hold on shes shoutin me........... i just say im still in on final table wont be long, but then me like u go up the 13 wooden hills wiv my tail between my legs............. going over and over the hand i exited on should i have folded? 2 be honest if you seen my lady you would log of POKER and run up the clappers. but like u say if i can get her of facebook,  great post daz
    Posted by mickjenn1
    Why thankyou mick yes I did read your mind as I do everytime i play you lol. Is there really a song with those lyrics ill have to check that one out as well as your girlfriend ;) (only joking) cheers m8 glad you like it. Im still up but shes away so ive got to do the dishes, tidy the house, feed the cats, have a shower and a shave, put the rubbish out and do the decorating and be up early to pick her up from the train station! its 2.20am and I might have one more game so i should be ok...... :)
  • edited August 2009
     Dazler    food for thought "In the game of life, women are the rake." Edward Norton, from Rounders, 1998 "No wife can endure a gambling husband, unless he is a steady winner. " Thomas Robert Dewar ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Right i'm off to bed now, she's asleep  !!   I know this because her snoring has woke the dog up (marvelous)
    Posted by bennydip2
    Well i tell her im a steady winner! does that count?
  • edited August 2009
    Buy her a male pr0stitute with your winnings whilst you continue to play.
  • edited August 2009
    Posted by LukeFuller
    That's..... different. Single are you, Luke?

Luckily for me I do not live with my girlfriend so I don't have this problem (yet...), but I imagine that if I was in the middle of a game and she asked me if I was going to bed I'd probably say "No, i'll go to bed when I want to go to bed, thank you"! Honesty is the best policy even if it p!sses her off.

Of course if she gave me an extra special incentive to go to bed, I might turn the laptop off straight away. Would have to be a pretty special incentive though....
  • edited August 2009
    Go to bed with ur laptop! That way you may get lucky with the Mrs but if not, u can carry on playing poker while she sleeps............and lets be honest - its the only time u get peace and quiet when they're sleeping :)
  • edited August 2009
    and lets be honest - its the only time u get peace and quiet when they're sleeping :)
    Posted by phil12uk
    That and when they have a mouthful of.......

*Insert Inappropriate Term*
  • edited August 2009
    i agree with phil there gotta cover all the options, by bringing the laptop to bed you are letting her knowthat you intend to play more even once 'its' over, gr8 idea that way she cant get annoyd with you for getting up right after and saying right love im off downstairs cheers for that, i know sorry just gotta get back to my game. lol cant see that goin down to well.
     what we should do is get people to make suggestions on diffeent quircky ideas around this g/f problem and run a poll to see who gets what and road test them that way we can give our best advice, in all situations. Also it would be a right laff to see what gets suggested and the response from the g/f's.
  • edited August 2009
    A very pertinent post to most of us, I'd imagine. 

My wife recently challenged me, and stated that I'd become addicted to gambling. I simply bet her £400 that she was wrong, and it seemed to do the trick. Every so often, I'll catch her looking at me, shaking her head and sighing, and I just know she's thinking “How could I ever have thought that of him”. Oh yes, Poker had taught me some impeccable 'reading' skills.

More food for thought from 'Rounders':

“We can't run from what we are. Our destiny chooses us”. Martin Landau.

As an aside, does anyone else think that John Malkovich's hammy Russian performance in Rounders, was the worst piece of casting since someone put the Kemp sisters in the roles of Reggie and Ronnie Kray?
  • edited August 2009
    well as my gf goes 2 bed early and am up all hours playing poker, 1 day i came up wiv an idea.......... we decided 2 go 2 the ann summers shop in the trafford centre, there we was looking around for about 5mins when a young lady came over 2 us and can i help you? me looking at her thinking yes you can love she was tasty, but then my lady opens her mouth and says yh can i have that big red 1 over there, the young shop keeper said am afraid you cant love that's the fire extinguisher, i burst out laffin and walked out the shop lol
  • edited August 2009
    hi dazler , if youre gf is a liedetector you are in trouble.wearing sunglasses,hoddie a pillow over your head,none of it will work.she will read your mind or smell the fear.what you can do ,is run a double bluff past her.tell her that poker is more important.it will throw her completly.you might have her sitting on your lap while you play poker but hey ,if her nibbling at your ear doesnt distract you ........... happy times
  • edited August 2009
    Posted by LukeFuller
    Eh!?
  • edited August 2009
    When you get to my age she doesn't care if you are late to bed. I just tell mine that I will see her in the morning. I think the onlly person older than me on Sky Poker is Tikay and he only has his cat to worry about. I wonder if the cat gives him the evils for staying up late.
    Posted by Timbobo
    If Tikay's cat is anything like mine she either curls up on the keyboard or sits there so that I can't see the screen.

What should I do.....get a bigger monitor or a smaller cat?

lol
  • edited August 2009
    Go to bed with ur laptop! That way you may get lucky with the Mrs but if not, u can carry on playing poker while she sleeps............and lets be honest - its the only time u get peace and quiet when they're sleeping :)
    Posted by phil12uk

I know most of the tricks in the book and luckily i have a laptop so I have managed to juggle 3 things at once including laptop dancing + she has now got used to the beepy noises when its my turn to act in a hand and sleeps through it :)
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: MY GIRLFRIEND OR POKER? : If Tikay's cat is anything like mine she either curls up on the keyboard or sits there so that I can't see the screen. What should I do.....get a bigger monitor or a smaller cat? lol
    Posted by bobcat52
    yes i have 3 cats and many a time they have folded my hand for me when i had the nutts. My advice is to get a dog :)
  • edited August 2009
    hi dazler , if youre gf is a liedetector you are in trouble.wearing sunglasses,hoddie a pillow over your head,none of it will work.she will read your mind or smell the fear.what you can do ,is run a double bluff past her.tell her that poker is more important.it will throw her completly.you might have her sitting on your lap while you play poker but hey ,if her nibbling at your ear doesnt distract you ........... happy times
    Posted by PILLOWMAN
    good one PILLOWMAN it maybe worth a try. she might just fold. Its an interesting point at what to do when you are given the choice of a bit of ear nibbleing which leads on to a FH or playing the hand you are involved in. It has happened quite often and would be interesting to hear views on how you deal with it. Do you smooch and slyley look at the corner of your eye to see how your hand is playing before the beep sounds for your turn then say "just a moment honey i think ive got a virus"
  • edited August 2009
    i agree with phil there gotta cover all the options, by bringing the laptop to bed you are letting her knowthat you intend to play more even once 'its' over, gr8 idea that way she cant get annoyd with you for getting up right after and saying right love im off downstairs cheers for that, i know sorry just gotta get back to my game. lol cant see that goin down to well.  what we should do is get people to make suggestions on diffeent quircky ideas around this g/f problem and run a poll to see who gets what and road test them that way we can give our best advice, in all situations. Also it would be a right laff to see what gets suggested and the response from the g/f's.
    Posted by goddenkyle
    yes goddenkyle thats what I would like to see and I will even do the road testing and tell you all the results. Likewise tell me if they work or you get a filthy look or a smack round the chops.
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: MY GIRLFRIEND OR POKER? : good idea Grimstar but i think it will take some convicing if she plays poker like she logs onto face book she will be a dam good player :)
    Posted by Dazler
    Bloody 'ell - either you're seeing my girlfriend behind my back or she's got a twin!

My girlfriend also hates me playing poker unless I win and then she's suddenly very interested (for 2 minutes).

I don't live with mine so that means I have to ring her every night for the obligatory chat, which leads to a few excuses being pedalled out when I need to get off the phone in time to start a game....Got to go, I REALLY need the toilet...
  • edited August 2009
    dazler,im not sure telling your gf you have a virus is the way to go!!!!! please wait and see what other ideas you get first.
  • edited August 2009
    Well its friday night and it the big 15k gauranteed and i was all excited that was until my other half told me she had arranged a dinner party at some friends :( i know what id rather be doing but i suppose i have to prise myself off the laptop for 1 night. I did try all the tricks in the book but she wasnt having it. My head ache will be the same there as it is at home she said. I dont care if you have broken your spine. which i feel by going i am a bit spinless now. Any ways gl all in tonights game wish i could be there too but will be thinking of it.
  • edited August 2009
    dazler, you have my sympathy . and tomorrow she will want you to go window shopping and on sunday for a romantic walk. i dont know , some women just dont know how to make there men happy. please dont tell us on monday,that she wanted to snuggle up to you after all that. we raise our glasses to a brave warrior.