You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Revive the CLINIC!!!

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat

Aight, its an appeal, to all forumers, to plzzzz start using the poker clinic.

It really is good for helping yours/mine and other peoples game. The benefits of using it, wether to post hands, or give your views on other peoples hands, goes without saying.

When I've been posting a hand recenty, I cud put it up and within a day, I could have 10 replies. Before I post the hand, I could write a list of 10 names, and more often than not, these people will be the ones to reply.

This facility will work MILES better if more people contribute, their opinions, hands, and even question the opinions of others.

There are very few low stakes players who use it, off the tiop of my head, probably only myself, OmahonyO, blackfish and dudeskin use it reguarly who play low stakes.

Is here any reason for this?

Would you guys contribute more if there was a designated low stakes are in the clinic?

Do you feel people wont give you respect and feel intimidated?

I could reel off 30 names of poker players who use the forum at least every other day - WHO i HAVE never seen post in the clinic. - It wud be great to see you using the poker clinic, as it helps me personally as well as you.

(had this idea when I saw loonytunes post this afternoon)

Also Iknow the presenters are reallllllyyyyyy busy organising stuff - but if they popped in and even replied to 1/2 of the hands when theyre around, this wud boost interest bigtime.

SO CMONNNNN GUYSSSSSS HAVE A PEEK IN!!

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Im often in there mate, and i love it, i like to give my opinions on other peoples hands and the amount of times people have told me where i went right or wrong in a hand is great.

Im now playing low stakes aswell, and think this would benifit although i never see any of the players i see on the tables on the forums except for Oynutter and lucky7777 although im not quite worked up the levels yet. (On NL8 now btw :) )

I have noticed some people having digs in the poker clinc. E.g. a hand i put up mostly for new players, and a little for myself about folding pocket 7's which sky says are in the 10 best starting hands, and someone said, "standard fold waste of my time" but i just ignore it.

I also agree if the likes of the anylisers (i cant spell i know) popped in every now and then and gave their views on a couple of hands, not all just a few, this would boost interest.

Good to see some support for this area of the forums though DOHHHH.
  • edited June 2010
    There's not nearly enough hands posted.
    And a fair amount are silly bad beats or coolers.
    Let's get some proper strategy discussed.
  • edited June 2010
    As much as i would love to contribute to the poker clinic more, i tend to use the forum to get away from the poker ( if that makes sense ). I really play for fun and cant really be bothered with all the tactical / analytical systemy thingy me bobs and all that. Im sure a lot of people are like me, and yeh i realise i may not get super duper brilliant at poker unless i study it, but i don't really have the time or inclination to change this. The most i can be bothered to learn about poker tactics is to watch channel 865 and the poker pros play on the telly, however as you've made an impassioned plea for us low stakes to contribute, i will give it a go, but i warn you, i might be wrong in my thinking on my tactical advice. 
  • edited June 2010

I read whatevers in the clinic every day without fail with the occasionally post.   I have learnt no end there and know what you mean about the same old faces posting day in day out.

I propbably don't post as much as I should, not cause of intimidation, but more of not having anything to add that someone with 10x more experience has already said. 

I will try and add my view before reading what everyone else has already written.

• edited June 2010
    talking of clinics............dohhhhhhh are you still free to help me out?

maybe some time this week???
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Revive the CLINIC!!!:
    Aight, its an appeal, to all forumers, to plzzzz start using the poker clinic. It really is good for helping yours/mine and other peoples game. The benefits of using it, wether to post hands, or give your views on other peoples hands, goes without saying. When I've been posting a hand recenty, I cud put it up and within a day, I could have 10 replies. Before I post the hand, I could write a list of 10 names, and more often than not, these people will be the ones to reply. This facility will work MILES better if more people contribute, their opinions, hands, and even question the opinions of others. There are very few low stakes players who use it, off the tiop of my head, probably only myself, OmahonyO, blackfish and dudeskin use it reguarly who play low stakes. Is here any reason for this? Would you guys contribute more if there was a designated low stakes are in the clinic? Do you feel people wont give you respect and feel intimidated? I could reel off 30 names of poker players who use the forum at least every other day - WHO i HAVE never seen post in the clinic. - It wud be great to see you using the poker clinic, as it helps me personally as well as you. (had this idea when I saw loonytunes post this afternoon) Also Iknow the presenters are reallllllyyyyyy busy organising stuff - but if they popped in and even replied to 1/2 of the hands when theyre around, this wud boost interest bigtime. SO CMONNNNN GUYSSSSSS HAVE A PEEK IN!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

I OPENED A THREAD DOHHHHHHH,

SO HOPE THIS HELPS OUT M8Y !

• edited June 2010
    Hi Dohhhh.

I visit the Poker Clinic on a regular basis as reading the posts does help my own game. Unfortunately however, I do not consistantly play text book poker, so I tend not to give my opinion on many of the posts.

I hear people say pocket 7's or Pocket 5's is an insta fold to a 3 or 4 x BB raise and I feel like pulling my hair out, cause its not always an insta fold in my opinion, it really all depends on the read you have on players on your table, stack sizes, gut instinct and so forth.

Although I do feel I could bring another view to the argument, I think I would be pretty quickly dressed down by the more experienced players that visit the clinic.

I really do like the clinic and enjoy all the posts but yes I feel it's very intimidating place to give your opinion, which is why I only read them, however, if other players could respect the opinions (Right or Wrong) of the less experienced players then I would give it a go. 

Pokertrev.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Revive the CLINIC!!!:
    Hi Dohhhh. I visit the Poker Clinic on a regular basis as reading the posts does help my own game. Unfortunately however, I do not consistantly play text book poker, so I tend not to give my opinion on many of the posts. I hear people say pocket 7's or Pocket 5's is an insta fold to a 3 or 4 x BB raise and I feel like pulling my hair out, cause its not always an insta fold in my opinion, it really all depends on the read you have on players on your table, stack sizes, gut instinct and so forth. Although I do feel I could bring another view to the argument, I think I would be pretty quickly dressed down by the more experienced players that visit the clinic. I really do like the clinic and enjoy all the posts but yes I feel it's very intimidating place to give your opinion, which is why I only read them, however, if other players could respect the opinions (Right or Wrong) of the less experienced players then I would give it a go.  Pokertrev.
    Posted by POKERTREV
    +1
  • edited June 2010
    I myself always read it and indeed learn from it but as for contributing? i dont see the point for myself as i know if ive made a bad read or bad call and i learn from myself for that.dav
  • edited June 2010
    hmmm I know your trick Dohhhhhhh - you heard about my big £6 win on the nl10p cash last night and your trying to find out how I play so you can steal my massive win!!!!
    ;)
  • edited June 2010

nice post dohhhhhhh

here are my thoughts...

The poker clinic is there to HELP people not to criticise peoples play in a negative manner.

It would be refreshing to get a variety of opinion from all players, regardless of ability or perceived experience or ability. There are alot of lower stake players that could hold their own at the higher stakes quite comfortably, and the amount of money people choose to play for does not affect their ability.

Nobody should be afraid to post for fear of being mocked for their views.

I like the fact that some of the higher stakes players comment on my strategy posts, but i am just as interested in the opinions of regular players, who just play for fun. Why?, because we all see situations differently, and it would be very boring if we all agreed.

hoggers

• edited June 2010

lol, im glad this has gotten replies from alot of the forum regs.

A few people have stated they feel intimidated, or out of their depth in the clinic.

Before I adresss this, let me tell you all I feel exactly the same alot of the time. But these big players, Cliokid, zing, beaneh, Lol_raise, lynx 0- give great advice, and to say Im opposing them would be both stupid and untrue - They have helped me loads.

All Im sayin is that if more of us, the lower stakes guys get busy in there - it wont be anywhere near as 'intimidating' for us. To see the farmiliar names there will make it an easier place for us to contribute.

If you dont wanna, thats fine, this thread was just about trying to guage why people dont, and hopefully find a solution.

I could post a hand from a £2 dym - and a £5/£10 cash payer could come and give me advice - Although I wud appreciate this, Id much prefer advice from a £5 dym payer, who's been there and dunnit? - ya know?

Thers loads of low stakes players who can think and talk and most importantly play good poker on sky, I'd hate to think you/us guys are being held back and missing out on a great learning opportunity coz we're intimidated?....

And if they say owt nasty, just tell em to b0 llax ;) I wud!! lol

Theyre nice guys reallly.

Lets help ourselves by helping eachother guys, is a poker forum after all :)
  • edited June 2010
    The clinic did wonders for me.

We are talking STDs here aren't we ???

No!!!!!!! ...................oh..................OK then.

I read the Sky Poker forum clinic most days, but for me to give poker advice would be a bit like like a plumber giving medical advice. But I like the clinic a lot, so please keep posting there everybody.
  • edited June 2010
    As much as i would love to contribute to the poker clinic more, i tend to use the forum to get away from the poker ( if that makes sense ). I really play for fun and cant really be bothered with all the tactical / analytical systemy thingy me bobs and all that. Im sure a lot of people are like me, and yeh i realise i may not get super duper brilliant at poker unless i study it, but i don't really have the time or inclination to change this. The most i can be bothered to learn about poker tactics is to watch channel 865 and the poker pros play on the telly, however as you've made an impassioned plea for us low stakes to contribute, i will give it a go, but i warn you, i might be wrong in my thinking on my tactical advice. 
    Posted by loonytoons
    Nice post, im sure a lot of people feel the same way.

As for being wrong... dont worry, post looking for people to disagree with you, that's the way to learn. Just say what you would do in a hand and then better players may disagree and explain why a different line is better.
  • edited June 2010
    I myself always read it and indeed learn from it but as for contributing? i dont see the point for myself as i know if ive made a bad read or bad call and i learn from myself for that.dav
    Posted by dav1964
    The point for yourself might be that another player might think of something that you did not think of at the time. Does that make sense?
  • edited June 2010

"I read the Sky Poker forum clinic most days, but for me to give poker advice would be a bit like like a plumber giving medical advice."

You wud be V V V  surprised Gary - how many ways is there to play a poker hand?

If I had access to peoples hand histories. I wud spends hours reading them - even better if I can read explanations and ask questions.

U guys under-estimate yourselves.
  • edited June 2010
    it looks like a lot of players would post but are worried their views might be wrong...

the way i see it, and the reason i post on the poker clinic is a selfish reason mainly, i post and say what i would do in a particular hand because i want to improve my own game. If i post and others agree, then fine. If i post and better players disagree and explain why they disagree with how i would play a hand then i have learnt and will take it into the account for future.
  • edited June 2010
    The clinic did wonders for me. We are talking STDs here aren't we ??? No!!!!!!! ...................oh..................OK then. I read the Sky Poker forum clinic most days, but for me to give poker advice would be a bit like like a plumber giving medical advice. But I like the clinic a lot, so please keep posting there everybody.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    +1
  • edited June 2010
    good work dohhh,

as long as you post your reasoning behind your plays and your thought process you wont get slated by anyone....obv we dont invest the time and effort just to belittle people and sure you'll get some people who will give one word answers and call you a donkey but that'll happen on every thread in here!

• edited June 2010
    Always read clinic but too many posts are questions that the poster already knows the answer to, or hands posted where they just want reassurance that they played it okay.

The really interesting hands are few and far between, but do usually attract a good response.
  • edited June 2010
    Sorry Dohhhhhhh, I've never been in the clinic...just don't have time to sit and read through peoples bad beats...but will take a look around for you mate! To be fair though if I generally do have extra time then I'll be lost in the shed somewhere....that's how I like it ;o)

x
  • edited June 2010

Way hayyyyy :)

Bradfords answer to Kerry Katona???

Thats a personaised DOHH/JJ compliment but only if u say yessssssssssssssss

Some white powder stashed in the lorn mower where the grass is sposed to go ;)
  • edited June 2010
    Good post Dohh,

One thing I did think of, and have thought this from day 1.

Most of the other big poker forums out there do not have a poker site running along side like sky.  Therefore, forum users usernames are probably going to be different to their poker aliases on whatever site they play.

Here at sky it is the same name.  This can cause a couple of problems,

1 - Ppl may not want to post hands, as it could be seen as giving free reads and notes to opponents.  It wouldnt surprise me if ppl actually made notes on ppl after reading some of their posts in clinic.  I, for one have thought twice about posting certain hands, but posted them anyway lol.

2 - PPl may not be bothered about giving away reads, but may just be concerned about opening themselves up personally to critisism or micky taking or whatever.  This doesnt usually happen here, but of course it is possible.

For a while now, I have wondered if maybe its a good idea, for people who wish to post strat threads in the clinic, may do so anonymously.  I have seen posts in different parts of the forum by `anonymous` but have no idea how they do it.

Just an idea
  • edited June 2010

Hi JJ,

Excellent thread!

I confess, I never visit "The Poker Clinic", I just don't have the time, as too much of my time is absorbed by dealing with the negative moany-woany stuff, so I'm cutting down on the negative time I spend on the Forum quite significantly, so I can concentrate on smiley-wiley stuff.  

But I like to help where I can, & in this case, I'll try & large up "The Poker Clinic" via Blogs, Tweets, & on the various Shows. 

I'm doing a lot of Shows this month, & I'll give it a plug on all of them, assuming my memory does not fail me.

For what it's worth, your contributions to The Poker Clinic, & the Community generally, should never be under-estimated. In "The Club" which we recorded yesterday, & which first airs next Monday, we covered an interesting contribution you made. (The 7-8 of clubs hand).
  • edited June 2010
    Good post Dohh, One thing I did think of, and have thought this from day 1. Most of the other big poker forums out there do not have a poker site running along side like sky.  Therefore, forum users usernames are probably going to be different to their poker aliases on whatever site they play. Here at sky it is the same name.  This can cause a couple of problems, 1 - Ppl may not want to post hands, as it could be seen as giving free reads and notes to opponents.  It wouldnt surprise me if ppl actually made notes on ppl after reading some of their posts in clinic.  I, for one have thought twice about posting certain hands, but posted them anyway lol. 2 - PPl may not be bothered about giving away reads, but may just be concerned about opening themselves up personally to critisism or micky taking or whatever.  This doesnt usually happen here, but of course it is possible. For a while now, I have wondered if maybe its a good idea, for people who wish to post strat threads in the clinic, may do so anonymously.  I have seen posts in different parts of the forum by `anonymous` but have no idea how they do it. Just an idea
    Posted by OMahonyO
    +1

I dont like posting any of my hands, or giving my poor opinion or advice (hindrance)
  • edited June 2010
    There's not nearly enough hands posted. And a fair amount are silly bad beats or coolers. Let's get some proper strategy discussed.
    Posted by BlackFish3

1 day a week you should only be allowed to post winning hands for constructive criticism/discussion.

Also don't play rush cos you got no reads!!!!! x
  • edited June 2010
    Well I'm in the clinic but everyone seems to have hiden under the table!!!!
    I'm only starting out with cash....I've posted some hands today to see if I'm on the right track..a little too tight..too loose...missing something obvious?
    Cummon guys....get over here!!!!!
    It's not all bad beats and I could do with all the help I can get!
  • edited June 2010
    people need to keep posting hh's that aren't ones they lost on or got outdrawn on,even sometimes include some where you won the hand.

dont post results

dont say ' can i get away?' 'can i lose less' 'can you see this set...?'

just get to the main decision point in the hand, stop the hh there, give what info you can (dont have to give lots of reads on people you play with regularly), and remember not to take things to heart.

anything people say is designed to get you thinking about why you do a certain action or to just put you down and make you feel small :p

nah joking, it's just to get you thinking.

there is no point posting- call turn....

especially when the major mistake in a hand could have been made preflop or on the flop.

just because the results of a hand do or dont match up with what you wanted isn't a reason to base your strategy on. you should have your reasoning down and be confident with it and then let the results figure themselves out.

dont be afraid of making mistakes or sounding stupid when  you post.

what would you rather, say something dumb and be told and read why it's dumb, think about thge situation and learn to play it better in the future, or would you like to keep quiet and keep making what could be a costly mistake regularly?!

suck it up and swallow your pride. losing your money will hurt more than losing face on an online forum with people you have most likely never met.

edit another good thing you can do is post your hand histories in terms of numbers of big blinds rather than money. the game is theoretically the same at every level and you just have money to keep score, obviously at higher levels you expected higher levels of play compared to lower levels, you have to take these differences into account but the bet size doesn't matter just the relative size of the pot and the money you have behind still to play for.
  • edited June 2010
    ^^^ Cracking post. Few more words than your usual ones too, beaneh :)

Seriously, absolutely what he just said. The Clinic is actually ticking along at the moment but personally I'd like to see more of the beginners coming on there as well. If you're even unsure of how you want to play mid-pairs or something, that area is perfect for people who have a hand that they want picking apart and perhaps a helping hand in what they find a tricky situation.

Remember; what we might consider standard is difficult/tricky for others. I'm all up for helping as many along as possible and appreciate the help of the Community 'regs' here.
  • edited June 2010
    ^^^ Cracking post. Few more words than your usual ones too, beaneh :) Seriously, absolutely what he just said. The Clinic is actually ticking along at the moment but personally I'd like to see more of the beginners coming on there as well. If you're even unsure of how you want to play mid-pairs or something, that area is perfect for people who have a hand that they want picking apart and perhaps a helping hand in what they find a tricky situation. Remember; what we might consider standard is difficult/tricky for others. I'm all up for helping as many along as possible and appreciate the help of the Community 'regs' here.
    Posted by Sky_Dave

I have carpal tunnel atm so my left arm is tingling and I cant type properly/use the keyboard for too long.

As is I often post overly long posts but no one normally reads them, I keep the lengthy stuff for when someone actually seems to want to improve rather than just for a bad beat post, that's usually by pm rather than on the forum.

People really do have some sort of abnormal fear of being humiliated or 'being wrong'.

I pretty much guarantee that there is always a way to validate a play by specifiying reads on a player etc. Hence why so often we need to know about the opponent and recent history to make a good decision.