You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

beer + poker

2»

Comments

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: beer + poker:
    In Response to Re: beer + poker : agreed, drinking heavily at the table is the only way to counteract the monotony of 20 hands/hr
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Pardon me asking what you may think is a daft question (guilty) or an impertinent one (it is not), but I keep thinking about this Post.

If you find poker "monotonous", why do you play it?

Is there no alternative form of hobby or relaxation you could turn to which you would enjoy, rather than being so bored by poker that you feel a driven to alcohol? TV, reading, some other game, or sport? 

I see this problem of "monotonous poker" spoken about a lot here & elsewhere, & I've been dying to ask someone this!

I hope the question does not offend, but human psychology fascinates me, & I cannot begin to imagine voluntarily doing something which I found monotonous. Some jobs are monotonous, granted, but we play hobby to relax, enjoy ourselves, & have fun, surely? Or am I missing the point of poker? 
  • edited February 2011
    I suppose it depends on how serious you take your poker. I don't understand the thinking behind drinking and playing poker. I can see poker as an accompaniment to drinking but not the other way round. I know a lot of players talk of drinking large volumes when playing and I don't see the sense in that. It must impair judgement, it cannot be otherwise.

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for from poker.

As for being bored whilst playing, I think you are missing out on a major and most interesting part of the game. Periods of inactivity are most useful in assessing your opponents but maybe this is one of the finer points that some players either miss or haven't yet mastered.

I like a drink, but usually after the poker, rarely before or during. The day I find poker boring is the day to stop playing.
  • edited February 2011

It's a myth that drinking negatively effects performance, unless you're totally bladdered.

When people are drunk, they expect to play bad, they're beaten before they start,  because of their frame of mind (online anyway).

When they 5 bet jam 67 suited, they know it's wrong, but they can justify it by saying "yeh but I was drunk" - even though they knew at the time it was wrong.

If I went T-total I would propably quit poker - or play once a month. Hence my v v low volume. If I played anywhere near as much as most players of my ability, I'd make myself ill with the amount I'd have to sup.

Had a week off poker last week, due to in internet problems, and didnt have a drop of ale.

The 2 go hand in hand.

Drinking is an excuse for bad performance, not a reason.

If anyone wants any proof that being a winning player whilst drunk is achievable, over a long period of time, pm me and i'll prove it. 

• edited February 2011
    i dont drink while playing poker, often and when i do i make sure im not bladdered! i think it has its pros & cons but i prefer to play with no drink

• edited February 2011
    I suppose it depends on how serious you take your poker. I don't understand the thinking behind drinking and playing poker. I can see poker as an accompaniment to drinking but not the other way round. I know a lot of players talk of drinking large volumes when playing and I don't see the sense in that. It must impair judgement, it cannot be otherwise. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for from poker. As for being bored whilst playing, I think you are missing out on a major and most interesting part of the game. Periods of inactivity are most useful in assessing your opponents but maybe this is one of the finer points that some players either miss or haven't yet mastered. I like a drink, but usually after the poker, rarely before or during. The day I find poker boring is the day to stop playing.
    Posted by elsadog
    That would be my logical deduction.

It's completely beyond my understanding why a recreational player would play poker if it bored them.

Life is full of mysteries.
  • edited February 2011
    My 56 pence worth....

Is this not a case of each to his/her own?
    Not every poker player who plays, drinks, fact.
    Not every poker player who plays, plays omaha, fact.

FWIW, my biggest on line win came when I was totally chilled out after drinking most of the day due to the next day being a Bank Holiday and I did not need to get up early. I am not saying the drink helped or hindered me but I do see a link between the two.

A majority of recreational players like a drink while playing poker at night to help them relax and enjoy the game usually after a hard day at work (talking a 9-5 full time job here!).

• edited February 2011
    My 56 pence worth.... Is this not a case of each to his/her own? Not every poker player who plays, drinks, fact. Not every poker player who plays, plays omaha, fact. FWIW, my biggest on line win came when I was totally chilled out after drinking most of the day due to the next day being a Bank Holiday and I did not need to get up early. I am not saying the drink helped or hindered me but I do see a link between the two. A majority of recreational players like a drink while playing poker at night to help them relax and enjoy the game usually after a hard day at work (talking a 9-5 full time job here!).
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Yup V true!

Booze gets a bad rap.

I don't smoke, I never have, but I challenge any smoker to play online between 7pm and midnight without nipping out for a cig.

If you had to do that everytime you played, I bet your monthly cash 4 points bonus would significantly drop ;)

Just a thought.
  • edited February 2011

The no smoking brigade campaigned for years to ban smoking in pubs. They got their wish. So all the smokers went outside to the beer gardens.......where the non smokers complained. Go figure.

Anyway, if you do not drink, how are you ever going to know if it affects your play or not?

• edited February 2011
    It's a myth that drinking negatively effects performance, unless you're totally bladdered. When people are drunk, they expect to play bad, they're beaten before they start,  because of their frame of mind (online anyway). When they 5 bet jam 67 suited, they know it's wrong, but they can justify it by saying "yeh but I was drunk" - even though they knew at the time it was wrong. If I went T-total I would propably quit poker - or play once a month. Hence my v v low volume. If I played anywhere near as much as most players of my ability, I'd make myself ill with the amount I'd have to sup. Had a week off poker last week, due to in internet problems, and didnt have a drop of ale. The 2 go hand in hand. Drinking is an excuse for bad performance, not a reason. If anyone wants any proof that being a winning player whilst drunk is achievable, over a long period of time, pm me and i'll prove it. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I don't doubt Doh is being sincere in making the above post but it is still fundamentally wrong.

Drinking will impair performance in anything, it is just a fact. There's no doubt George Best, Alex Higgins and any number of darts players may disagree but they are exceptions - not the norm.

To give a different example - there are many people who live to a ripe old age smoking 20 fags a day - that does not mean that doing so is part of a healthy lifestyle.

• edited February 2011
    Think people are getting mixed up.....

Drinking alcohol, and getting bladdered are 2 very different things.

I agree that being smashed, will have huge negative implications on your performance/results.

Occasionally, I get carried away, when I have too many and I go and put £200 in pre flop at 200nl, 5 bet shoving with K9s against Jakally, probably the best 200nl reg on the site.

I've come in from nights down the pub/town absolutely sozzled, and done 4/5 buy ins.

This is v v v v v v  different to having a drink while you play.

Don't confuse having a drink, with being drunk.

(he had aces btw :(((((    )

• edited February 2011
    I often have 2 or 3 bottles of beer while playing online. I find it helps on Friday nights when the play is, lets just say "Loose" and you need to call off your stack with 4th pair because the guy has shoved the river for the last 17 hands in a row.

On the other hand I try not too drink too much when playing live. I find it gives me a really bad headache and then I can't concentrate. (Different story once I'm out though).

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: beer + poker : I don't doubt Doh is being sincere in making the above post but it is still fundamentally wrong. Drinking will impair performance in anything, it is just a fact. There's no doubt George Best, Alex Higgins and any number of darts players may disagree but they are exceptions - not the norm. To give a different example - there are many people who live to a ripe old age smoking 20 fags a day - that does not mean that doing so is part of a healthy lifestyle.
    Posted by JingleMa

Yes it's a fact that alcohol impairs the function of the brain. However it depends on what you are doing as to whether it's a plus or a minus. Any task which requires clear thought and judgement will be negatively affected. 

One effect of alcohol is to relax muscles and therefore in some areas as mentioned above it can have a plus effect when taken in moderation. I played a lot of snooker in the 70's and early 80's, in fact I owned a snooker club at that time. I played Alex Higgins a number of times and some other top pro's of the time. Although he drank, he rarely drank to excess when playing any tournament of importance. As anyone who plays snooker to a certain level will tell you, it's all to do with cue action and eyesight has only a small bearing on the ability to pot balls. Far more important is the ability to control the cue-arm and deliver the cue to the ball with precision. A muscle relaxant can and does often help. 

Bill Werbiniuk was perhaps the best example of this. He had a condition which affected his arm-muscles and took beta blockers to combat this. When beta blockers were outlawed he took to drinking huge volumes of beer to replicate the effect of the beta blockers. Unfortunately he could never repeat the performances he achieved when he took beta blockers.

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: beer + poker : Yes it's a fact that alcohol impairs the function of the brain. However it depends on what you are doing as to whether it's a plus or a minus. Any task which requires clear thought and judgement will be negatively affected.  One effect of alcohol is to relax muscles and therefore in some areas as mentioned above it can have a plus effect when taken in moderation. I played a lot of snooker in the 70's and early 80's, in fact I owned a snooker club at that time. I played Alex Higgins a number of times and some other top pro's of the time. Although he drank, he rarely drank to excess when playing any tournament of importance. As anyone who plays snooker to a certain level will tell you, it's all to do with cue action and eyesight has only a small bearing on the ability to pot balls. Far more important is the ability to control the cue-arm and deliver the cue to the ball with precision. A muscle relaxant can and does often help.  Bill Werbiniuk was perhaps the best example of this. He had a condition which affected his arm-muscles and took beta blockers to combat this. When beta blockers were outlawed he took to drinking huge volumes of beer to replicate the effect of the beta blockers. Unfortunately he could never repeat the performances he achieved when he took beta blockers.
    Posted by elsadog
    And look what happened to poor Neil Foulds after he was banned from using Beta-Blockers.

I bumped into him recently at a poker event somewhere, he's big into Greyhound Racing now, & seems very happy with his lot in life. Nice fella, ditto his Dad.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: beer + poker : And look what happened to poor Neil Foulds after he was banned from using Beta-Blockers. I bumped into him recently at a poker event somewhere, he's big into Greyhound Racing now, & seems very happy with his lot in life. Nice fella, ditto his Dad.
    Posted by Tikay10

I played Neil and John Parrot, at my club, the year after Junior Pot Black just before they both turned Pro. IMO Neil was the better player but as you say he lost his game. The first Pro I ever played was in 1969 when I was at Bolton College. A group of us went to a snooker club for lunch and I was sat watching the other lads play. A guy came over and very politely asked if I'd like to help him practice. I didn't have a clue who he was but agreed and played a few shots but mostly I was picking balls out of the pockets. The lads I was with all stopped playing and came to watch us ''playing''

I didn't know who the guy was until we left to go back to college  ....... it was the then world champion John Spencer ......... and I was hooked on snooker from that point on.