You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Paying a multiple rake in rebuy tournaments

Comments

• edited June 2010
    hopefully i am going to go to bed and in the morning my beloved sky will see sense and go back to being a site for normal poker plays, not tryin to r a p e and pillage its players. alas i think i will be disappointed. just because the numbers are down due to being"seasonal" and the world cup is on, doesnt mean you try and up your profits in other ways.i know i am a very very very small fish in this pool, but i have played on sky for 2yrs now and the only thing keeping this site on my computer at the moment is the community of great people. the last 2 weeks i have played else where ( making a profit), ok i havnt had the banter like i have here, but i dont feel as though the  sites profit margins comes before the average poker player. would love to play here again, but feel i am being taken roughly from behind " dry"
  • edited June 2010

+1 on the no more rake on re-buys,as we all are aware nobody else charges this.dav

• igeige
    edited June 2010
    i just watched a 60p roullete tourny with 19 runners advertised no more rebuys after 1st break?when i looked at the tourny info it never showed any breaks?so 19 runners 4 left rebuying 500 chips blinds at 400,000 800,000 constantly rebuying cos no one wanted to leave in 4th with 4 league points.unless i got it wrong and i apologise if i have why would that be advertised stating no more rebuys after 1st break, when there was no break?i think the game become who had the most roll to keep rebuying so they could get cashed in 3rd rather then leave with nothing.think the prizepool ended up just under 80 pounds and maybe someone in 4th position with no roll. 
  • edited June 2010
    Personally I am against the idea of any organised boycott, but I am amazed that people are actually playing these rebuys with the extra rake. I have not seen any positive posts about rebuys anywhere.

As I said in an earlier thread, no one from Sky has attempted to defend it. Watching Tikay on the show tonight, it was noticeable that he was lukewarm in giving any support to it. Bearing in mind that he is employed by Sky, I know that he has to try to promote all products, and he did it very well with the Take on Tikay tourny last night.

Whatever he thinks about it, I know that he will continue to have a dialogue with the suits about this and all other important issues, and will always have the best interests of us players as well as Sky Poker at heart.

But the solution is in our own hands, if we dont like rebuys (or  Bounty Hunters or any other product) we dont play them. But we must also continue to support the tournaments and products we do like.

Its obvious that Sky is keen to try new things (the Big Game tonight was an excellent idea)

I think the Forum has already spoken about the rebuys, but maybe it is now time to start expressing what we do want as well, alongside the criticism.

My personal beef is the lack of 300/500 gtd standard tournies at £10/20 buyin, which used to be 4 or 5 a day. Now there are very few amongst all the BHs and rebuys.

What do you guys want ?

Tony

• edited June 2010
    there's a 1 min roullette tourny abt to start
    £0.50 + £0.10

Rebuys are same price.

That's 20% on buyin AND rebuys

lmao :D
  • edited June 2010
    ya penguin, i would also like to see more £10+ mtt's between 7 and 10 with at least semi decent structures.  Some rebuys would be nice too as soon as they lose the rake on them.
  • edited June 2010
    Saw add for rebuys on channel 865 showed lobby £5.50  tournament £5 rebuy £5 addons NO RAKE????????????????????
  • edited June 2010
    Did no one else see this just over half way through top of the pots!
  • edited June 2010
    yes i seen it mate,mr hartighan was doing it.
  • edited June 2010
    That's right could not believe my eyes.Also in advert addon had more chips than rebuy,i have never seen a tournament on sky with this lobby only pay rake once bigger addon.Where are they,these are the ones we want?  
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Paying a multiple rake in rebuy tournaments:
    I have come to the conclusion that paying a repeat rake on rebuy / add on tournaments is not to any of our advantage. I am in profit from the few rebuys i have played so this is not sour grapes, however the continual repeat payment of rakes is taking the biscuit in my opinion, and the only way to get them to charge only for the rebuy with no added rake is to stop playing them, so forthwith i hereby declare that i will no longer play any poker game rebuy tournament that includes a rake on the rebuy. Please pledge your support here if you agree with me, and if you are willing to boycott the said tournaments until the rebuy rake is removed. IMO the only way they will remove this multiple rake system is if they dont get the extra money from us by way of a boycott
    Posted by loonytoons

+ 1

soz loonytoons i am late to support you in this

i was away for the weekend .

In regards to this repeat charging of rake in rebuys ,

just goggle it ,

all the poker experts advise don't play them if they repeat charging rake.

They say its a rip off !

I do feel sorry for TK  having to try to defend the indefensible !

• edited June 2010
    sky poker is just a pure rip off in everything it does
  • edited June 2010
    I'm in.

No rebuys for me.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh dear, looks like sky have turned on my doomswitch as a punishment for not playing rebuys!!!
  • edited June 2010
    didnt even get a birthday card from them this year, got cash last year!!
  • edited June 2010
    Sky will listen to the masses with regards to the rebuy rake, lets give them a chance to sort it out though.

The rebuys (once the rake is sorted) will no doubt prove to be hugely popular with many, and the idea to have them tied to the freerolls will surely prove to be a win-win situation in the long term.
  • edited June 2010
    Lol I told some of my friends about the rake on rebuys and they were literally astonished. Come on sky sort it out.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Paying a multiple rake in rebuy tournaments:
    there's a 1 min roullette tourny abt to start £0.50 + £0.10 Rebuys are same price. That's 20% on buyin AND rebuys lmao :D
    Posted by cottlad

That is so lol.  Were there ppl playing.  Fair do`s to Sky for getting away with it. The cheek hahahahaha
  • edited June 2010
    i have to agree i love playing the rebuys on the other site i play no rakes on either rebuy or add ons that was what every one wanted come on sky listen to your customers they are what keeps u in bussiness not the rakes on rebuys
  • edited June 2010
    It is certainly causing a stir.........

• edited June 2010
    [QUOTE]BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY ARE!!!--- Jeezz-- Because--- we may be interested in entering a rebuy tournie, but we refuse to pay the rake for each and every rebuy, when sky is the only site that charges this rake, and we think it's not fair-- OK!!
    Posted by oynutter
    If i complain,moan about any of the tournaments or games i get told
    to stop moaning because Sky are doing such a great job-- O.K.!!!

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Paying a multiple rake in rebuy tournaments : + 1 soz loonytoons i am late to support you in this i was away for the weekend . In regards to this repeat charging of rake in rebuys , just goggle it , all the poker experts advise don't play them if they repeat charging rake. They say its a rip off ! I do feel sorry for TK  having to try to defend the indefensible !
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    Thank you Dennis, but no need to feel sorry for me, I look at these things slightly different. I have no obligation to "defend it", & I hope I've merely stated facts.

I keep seeing the expression "rip-off". The price is clearly shown "on the tin", & nobody is forced to accept the price. I am fully au-fait with what "rip-off" means but this does not fit that bill. "Expensive", "unusual", "nobody else does it", all may well be fair comment, but "rip-off" is not the correct terminology - nobody is duped, the price is clearly labelled, & nobody is obligated to buy that product. If I don't like the price of a product, I have a simple remedy - I don't buy it.

In reply to "this is the only site that charges rake on rebuys" this morning, I replied as follows;-

".....Quite so, Charles, & quite possibly. It's also the only Cardroom I know of that provides a 24/7 TV Channel, & many other unique features. It's a "basket of pros & cons", & everyone can pick & choose as they see fit.

My total spend on Sky Poker last week (Tourney buy-ins, reg fees, cash deposited on cash tables etc) came to just over £830 over 7 nights, of which the rake on rebuys cost exactly £1.00. My total return was £917. So I "only" made £87.00, net of all rake & reg fees, not £88. Which gives perspective to the thing, really. 

Sky Poker managed 3 & a half years without having a rebuy facility, & there had not been much "heat" asking for them, either, so whilst I understand the noise, I think it needs to be kept in perspective.

For the avoidance of doubt, if I were, in the words of Radiohead, " king for a day", I would not have added the rebuy rake, but it's not something I feel I need to get het up about, as I'm not forced to play them, or rebuy if I do, & there is plenty else here to keep me amused......"

• edited June 2010
    This is so tilting.

Raking rebuys cant be justified.
  • edited June 2010
    This is so tilting. Raking rebuys cant be justified.
    Posted by beaneh

That's a very odd comment.

I'm sure that Sky Poker will feel that it is justified if people continue to make rebuys.
    You and I might choose not to take them up on this offer but it is a matter of personal choice.
    No-one is being forced to play them and we should assume that anyone who does play them is an adult that is capable of making their own choices on this matter.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Paying a multiple rake in rebuy tournaments : That's a very odd comment. I'm sure that Sky Poker will feel that it is justified if people continue to make rebuys. You and I might choose not to take them up on this offer but it is a matter of personal choice. No-one is being forced to play them and we should assume that anyone who does play them is an adult that is capable of making their own choices on this matter.
    Posted by MereNovice

All rebuy money should go into the prize pool. it's so un-standard and ridic I don't even know what to say, even the vic doesn't try this rubbish!
  • edited June 2010
    Its all about opinion....don't see many people agreeing that rake on rebuys is welcome though......
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Paying a multiple rake in rebuy tournaments : All rebuy money should go into the prize pool. it's so un-standard and ridic I don't even know what to say, even the vic doesn't try this rubbish!
    Posted by beaneh
    It's just a business decision that Sky Poker have taken. Time will tell if it is profitable for them.

It's not a moral/ethical issue so let's not get overly worked up about it. There are plenty of other opportunities to play rebuy tournaments without rake if we so wish.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Paying a multiple rake in rebuy tournaments : It's just a business decision that Sky Poker have taken. Time will tell if it is profitable for them. It's not a moral/ethical issue so let's not get overly worked up about it. There are plenty of other opportunities to play rebuy tournaments without rake if we so wish.
    Posted by MereNovice

I often defend sky. this is just so ridic. 
  • edited June 2010

Good old-fashioned supply and demand will resolve this issue.

If a good number of players choose to keep entering these new tournaments and paying for raked re-buys and add-ons they are likely to remain as they are.

If interest drops off and fields dwindle to low numbers the re-buys tournaments may become unsustainable, in which case Sky may decide to reduce the number on the schedule and/or drop the rake on rebuys to stimulate interest.

I suggest everybody votes with their bank-roll, if you don't like the rebuys under the current format don't enter them. I'm steering well clear of all re-buy tournaments (apart from freerolls which I might enter, only but under a self imposed 'no re-buys or add-ons under any circumstances' rule), so this issue won't bother me too much as long as there is still a good supply of freeze-outs.

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Paying a multiple rake in rebuy tournaments : Thank you Dennis, but no need to feel sorry for me, I look at these things slightly different. I have no obligation to "defend it", & I hope I've merely stated facts. I keep seeing the expression "rip-off". The price is clearly shown "on the tin", & nobody is forced to accept the price. I am fully au-fait with what "rip-off" means but this does not fit that bill. "Expensive", "unusual", "nobody else does it", all may well be fair comment, but "rip-off" is not the correct terminology - nobody is duped, the price is clearly labelled, & nobody is obligated to buy that product. If I don't like the price of a product, I have a simple remedy - I don't buy it. In reply to " this is the only site that charges rake on rebuys " this morning, I replied as follows;- ".....Quite so, Charles, & quite possibly. It's also the only Cardroom I know of that provides a 24/7 TV Channel, & many other unique features. It's a "basket of pros & cons", & everyone can pick & choose as they see fit. My total spend on Sky Poker last week (Tourney buy-ins, reg fees, cash deposited on cash tables etc) came to just over £830 over 7 nights, of which the rake on rebuys cost exactly £1.00. My total return was £917. So I "only" made £87.00, net of all rake & reg fees, not £88. Which gives perspective to the thing, really.  Sky Poker managed 3 & a half years without having a rebuy facility, & there had not been much "heat" asking for them, either, so whilst I understand the noise, I think it needs to be kept in perspective. For the avoidance of doubt, if I were, in the words of Radiohead, " king for a day", I would not have added the rebuy rake, but it's not something I feel I need to get het up about, as I'm not forced to play them, or rebuy if I do, & there is plenty else here to keep me amused......"
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yep rip off are the wrong words to use ,

i apologize and take it back .

soz !