You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Simple Physics

edited June 2010 in The Shed

What would happen to the sea level if, with global warming, the polar ice cap meted?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    this is one of those like trick questions

the answer should be go up

but i bet it isnt

nice question again aussie
  • edited June 2010
    i think it all depends on what the polar ice cap was meting out??
  • edited June 2010
    ok...I have put some thought into this....so it gets hotter hense the icecaps melt yes?
    but....rather than the water rising I think it would actually fall due to hot thirsty animals drinking more...HEY PRESTO!
  • edited June 2010
    Norfolk would be under water.
    You can decide for yourself if that is a bad thing.
  • edited June 2010

"Any floating object displaces its own weight of fluid."  Archimedes.

Therefore when it all melts, the sea level stays the same.  Norfolk will be saved.  Unless the animals drink more.  Why were we so concerned.  In Scotland we need a bit more warmith.  And now.

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Physics:
    "Any floating object displaces its own weight of fluid."  Archimedes. Therefore when it all melts, the sea level stays the same.  Norfolk will be saved.  Unless the animals drink more.  Why were we so concerned.  In Scotland we need a bit more warmith.  And now.
    Posted by aussie09
    Yes a kilo of ice will displace of kilo of sea water

But when it's melted you haven't got a kilo of ice - you've got water

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Physics : Yes a kilo of ice will displace of kilo of sea water But when it's melted you haven't got a kilo of ice - you've got water
    Posted by BelovedLtd
    I don't think that you need to be that scientific about it.
    The key is in the word "displaces" - it is the displaced water that causes the elevation in sea level.
    It's not "rocket science".
  • edited June 2010
    global warming is a myth
  • edited June 2010
    "Any floating object displaces its own weight of fluid."  Archimedes. Therefore when it all melts, the sea level stays the same.  Norfolk will be saved.  Unless the animals drink more.  Why were we so concerned.  In Scotland we need a bit more warmith.  And now.
    Posted by aussie09
    But are all of the ice caps, floating?   Don't some of them 'touch down' and therefore this would alter the outcome?
  • edited June 2010
    what if a tomato and a banana were on the ice cap when it melted?
  • edited June 2010
    It depends....
    What colour are they?
  • edited June 2010
    global warming is a myth
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    Im no scientist, but i dont think global warming is a myth, it is probably fact, just as global freezing (the ice age) is a fact, it comes and goes, sometimes to extremes, sometimes not. Its been going on since the beging of earth. I think the wider question should be, is it man made? the jury's still out on that however it is a good reason to tax the cr ap out of us? its like when the government say, drinking, smoking, over eating etc is causing people to die young, and then with the next breath whining that we need to raise the retirement age as we are all living longer lol.
  • edited June 2010
    While it is true that the earth has undergone repeating periods of warming and freezing, it is very hard to deny that the current actions of mankind are accelerating or exaggerating this process and that global warming will cause climatic conditions so severe that not even being an oil rich billionaire will be much of a consolation.

Taxing people who are too lazy to walk their children 400 yards to school (and hence making their children fat slobs and a burden on the National Health)  is, imho, a good thing.
  • edited June 2010

try a wee experiment ... when you get your gin and tonic later make a second one to leave alone.  in that, put lots of ice and mark the level.   watch the level as the ice melts.  when it does the level will be unchanged.  that is unless you've drunk some of it either celebrating a win or consoling yourself... or unless there are hot, thirsty animals nearby

• edited June 2010
    Try a rather large scale experiment; melt the polar ice cap and see what happens.

Wikipedia states that the melting of the Antartic ice sheet would raise sea level by 61.1m.
    This would be rather inconvenient for many of us.
  • edited June 2010
    Norfolk would be under water. You can decide for yourself if that is a bad thing.
    Posted by MereNovice

I have always wanted to live beside the sea, but I think I might be out of my depth.
  • edited June 2010
    global warming is a myth just like evolution........
  • edited June 2010
    The Antartic ice sheet sit's on land mostly so when it melts it will displace alot of water thus higher sea levels.
  • edited June 2010
    [QUOTE]what if a tomato and a banana were on the ice cap when it melted?
    Posted by oynutter

They would get wet.
  • edited June 2010
    Try a rather large scale experiment; melt the polar ice cap and see what happens. Wikipedia states that the melting of the Antartic ice sheet would raise sea level by 61.1m. This would be rather inconvenient for many of us.
    Posted by MereNovice
    HA!! HA!! I normally have great admiration for your factual intellectual replies, but Wikipedia? what a load of dog poo lol, they told me 1/2 divided by a 1/2 is 1/4 only two days ago!
  • edited June 2010

if you melted the antarctic ice it would add water to the sea level as it is mainly supported by land.   the arctic ice is in effect floating and if melted would have no effect on sea levels. 

it is feasible that only one cap could melt.  most likely if we see a tilt in the earth's axis so that one pole is nearer to the sun.  in which event we might see the penguin population decrease.  that means the remaining skypoker players here have a greater probability of winning primo and there will be a spare seat in the skypoker vegas trip.

unless there are more penguins

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Physics : HA!! HA!! I normally have great admiration for your factual intellectual replies, but Wikipedia? what a load of dog poo lol, they told me 1/2 divided by a 1/2 is 1/4 only two days ago!
    Posted by loonytoons
    When they "quote their sources" in respected scientific journals, I think that it is safe to assume that they are correct in this matter.

Wikipedia also has this to say about division by fractions:

Division by a fraction is done by multiplying the dividend by the reciprocal of the divisor, in accordance with the identity

m divided by a/b = m multiplied by b/a

I can confirm that this is correct.
  • edited June 2010
    They would go down, only ice that melts above sea-level can cause the oceans to rise. Glaciers, etc.

Water expands when it freezes, therefore ice shrinks when it melts.
  • edited June 2010
    They would go down, only ice that melts above sea-level can cause the oceans to rise. Glaciers, etc. Water expands when it freezes, therefore ice shrinks when it melts.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    thats true.   the expansion of water mekes it less dense and the volume of water, now ice, becomes bouyant.  the bit of an iceberg that you can see above the water line represents the expansion.  as it is lifted above the level of the sea as ice, it will not change sea level when it melts.

• edited June 2010
    The density of ice is less then the density of water therefore the same mass of ice takes up a greater space, I think!!!

Keep Smiling
    HAL_9000

• edited June 2010
    I don't really know much about physics - I'm much better at stuff with no practical application like number theory.

However this won't stop me bluffing.

The whole point of Aussie's previous post was that one kg of of ice will displace one kg of sea water, so the melt will make no difference.

But if one kg of ice was equal to the one kg of sea water; why does it float?
  • edited June 2010
    Alot of the ice caps are on land so when they melt they will make the sea level rise.
  • edited June 2010
    Here's the best mini video I've seen on this. 'An inconvenient truth' is also a great watch. 

Without getting all preachy, I believe that we are already starting to see the effects of Global warming.. and the main thing about the ice cap melting is not actually to do with the sea level rising it's to do with the fact that at present a lot of the Suns rays are reflected off of the earth by the large white body of the Ice cap.. When the ice cap is no longer ..this will stop. Water does not reflect the suns rays.. it's absorbs them.  So more water would evaporate and enter the weather system ect. as well as adversely affecting all sea life.

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Physics : When they "quote their sources" in respected scientific journals, I think that it is safe to assume that they are correct in this matter. Wikipedia also has this to say about division by fractions: Division by a fraction is done by multiplying the dividend by the reciprocal of the divisor, in accordance with the identity m divided by a/b = m multiplied by b/a I can confirm that this is correct.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Well for every 'respected source' you can quote forcasting doom and gloom , i can find a likewise site, but offering a differing opinion to the facts. Whilst the 61M may be true, try your odds calculator of this happening in the next millenium. I just googled like you and read up on facts and myths about global warming from other respected sources and it paints a quite different picture. yeh i agree that humans do cause a lot of damage to the environment, but a lot of that is to do with the human population growth and better living standards, many moons ago most of the people were content to live the good life in remote countries around the world, now everyone wants all the modern mod - cons, including you and me, and all the billion people on this earth aspire to this too, these modern things dont grow on trees.
  • edited June 2010
    Here's the best mini video I've seen on this. 'An inconvenient truth' is also a great watch.  Without getting all preachy, I believe that we are already starting to see the effects of Global warming.. and the main thing about the ice cap melting is not actually to do with the sea level rising it's to do with the fact that at present a lot of the Suns rays are reflected off of the earth by the large white body of the Ice cap.. When the ice cap is no longer ..this will stop. Water does not reflect the suns rays.. it's absorbs them.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ
    Posted by LML
    Just get thousands of 'baldies' to reflect the light?