You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Simple Physics

2»

Comments

• edited June 2010
     warmer water would also take up more space too innit
  • edited June 2010
    Any increase in sea levels would be as a direct result of land based ice melting. There are huge reserves of water in the form of glaciers, many of which are land based and the current melting of these is causing small increases in sea level. The question of whether this is being accelerated by man is not fully understood. The earth has gone through thousands of warming/cooling cycles in it history and we are currently in a warming cycle. This is mainly due to the contracting elliptical orbit of the earth around the sun. This expansion and contraction of the earth's orbit has an approximate life-cycle of 100.000 years. Man's effect on the natural warming is uncertain as this is the first warming cycle of the earth's rotation around the sun that modern man has encountered.

Undoubtedly politics are playing a part in the information that is put forward and the remedies individual countries are pursuing. Major reductions in use of carbon based fuels may have some small effect of global warming but it is unlikely, and the full effects of the earth's decreasing orbit will be unstoppable. Britain's determined efforts to increase wind-farm output will have little effect on reducing our dependence on fossil fuels. Indeed it may well turn out to be one of the most misguided decisions taken by the last government in our history. We have declining oil and natural gas reserves and our coal mining industry is almost non-existent. For every wind farm we build we have to have a conventional power station to run along side it. The only two viable options are gas fired stations and nuclear. Our nuclear stations are ageing fast and will need to be de-commissioned in the next 10 years. No more nuclear power stations have to date been planned. Coal fired stations are not green. The only option we are left with is gas fired stations, and we have all but run out of gas supplies. This means we will have to purchase our gas from elsewhere, probably from Russia. They will be switching the gas off to a European country this week btw.

The objections to nuclear power stations are
    mostly unfounded. The claims that they are dangerous just don't stand up to scrutiny and the concern about nuclear waste is a myth. Interestingly all the nuclear waste ever produced in all the UK power stations since the 1950's to present day would comfortably fit into the average living room. Hopefully this country will restart the building programme for nuclear power stations, but even if they were started today we would still have negative capacity in 10 years time. Prepare to have power cuts in the future because it's inevitable unless the Russians become our best friends. As far vas wind farms are concerned the phrase chocolate frying pans comes to mind. They are unreliable and ineffectual and wouldn't take the place of conventional power generation if we all had one in our back garden and filled the shores and countryside with them. In a nutshell we are in a mess. I wouldn't worry too much about global warming as we'll all be fighting over something else long before then ........water.

I'm off out to buy some more candles and bottled water.

• edited June 2010
    I have done a lot of research on this subject Elsadog, and I have concluded that--- If fossil fuel power stations were adapted to burn Americans, then the world would be saved in just two and a half years!!
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Physics:
    I have done a lot of research on this subject Elsadog, and I have concluded that--- If fossil fuel power stations were replaced by ones that could burn Americans, then the world would be saved in just two and a half years!!
    Posted by oynutter

Sorry mate it's been tried...... apparently anything containing more that 95% bull-sh*t wont burn efficiently so yank fired power stations are out.
  • edited June 2010
    We should all do our bit by turning our fridges down a degree or two and leaving the door open to lower the ambiant temperature and counteract global warming.  Together we can make a difference.
  • edited June 2010
    ahhhaaaa--but I've sussed that problem too!!--- First we get them drunk on jack daniels, and deliver them when thier blood/alcohol levels are at a peak
  • edited June 2010
    The answer is it would stay the same, think how much of the earth is covered by sea? The polar ice caps would not make any difference! Nice question tho
  • edited June 2010
    i think this clears it up once and for all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp-is6S_b_g