You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Did I play this bad or just unlucky..

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Not sure if I can play this hand any differently, please let me know your views.. I put Villain on a flopped set...
k88moss Small blind  £1.00 £1.00 £221.55
rizo575 Big blind  £2.00 £3.00 £148.00
  Your hole cards

GliterBabe Raise  £8.00 £11.00 £490.99
PokerRyder Fold     
VillianCall  £8.00 £19.00 £503.88
gadgerno1 Fold     
k88moss Fold     
rizo575 Fold     
Flop

GliterBabeBet  £16.00 £35.00 £474.99
VillainRaise  £42.00 £77.00 £461.88
GliterBabe Call  £26.00 £103.00 £448.99
Turn

GliterBabe Check     
VillainBet  £54.00 £157.00 £407.88
GliterBabe Raise  £158.00 £315.00 £290.99
VillainCall  £104.00 £419.00 £303.88
River

GliterBabe All-in  £290.99 £709.99 £0.00
VillainCall  £290.99 £1000.98 £12.89
GliterBabe Show

VillainShow
  • J

VilllainWin Flush to the Jack £999.18  £1012.07

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Should have re-raised him on the flop
  • edited July 2010
    I open suited connectors UTG advertising ftw
  • edited July 2010
    if you really put him on a flopped set, then why the need to flat call his flop raise?  no ones folding a set on the flop here.

or were you trying to pot control on later streets should the board pair up...
  • edited July 2010
    I think 3 betting the flop is best, as you put him on a set you want him to get his money in before scare cards come....I see the reasoning for flatting as you arent scared of any turn but you have to think that villain would be if he has a set and a card like the 7 comes and you keep betting he would have to fold....

so, after you flat...if you are correctly putting him on a set I dont see the value in the c/r as he cant continue as the odds of him improving are 5/1 and hes getting 3/1 on a call so i'd prefer a lead out on the turn (the fact you posted results makes its really awkward to explain that as im thinkin of what he has now!)...

anyway, the river im leaning toward c/c or c/f depending on bet size....hes never calling with worse so the set you put him on is on his bike, all you have is a bluff catcher or a split so i guess c/c half pot or fold to a shove
  • edited July 2010
    This is like a beginners bad beat thread.

FOLD FLOP OBV
  • edited July 2010
    anyway, the river im leaning toward c/c or c/f depending on bet size....hes never calling with worse so the set you put him on is on his bike, all you have is a bluff catcher or a split so i guess c/c half pot or fold to a shove

and that is why you don't put the showdown cards in HHs people
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah Scotty, exactly that if turn pairs I have massive fold equity as we were both 250 BB deep. Looking back I should have just shipped turn..RR flop in hind- sight would have been better but I saw the bigger PICTURE ...( Which saw my mouse flying through it )...
  • edited July 2010
    If a micro stake player posted this, can't help thinking the replies would be:
    Bad beat, you know you did nothing wrong, post some decent hands etc. but a lot less polite.

FWIW I shove turn but only because this is profitable at 4NL.  At that level I check the river and cry like a baby. ;-)

• edited July 2010

Q/ Is there EVER a case in cash, to say, right, the pot is big enough now, I dont care if I have the best hand, the pot is v big, the board is scary, I don't want to continue with the hand, so I will take it away now?

Am I gonna get crucified for this?

Im obv looking at the pot as a nl30 player and the money is effecting my thinking right?

My instinct reading it before reading any comments was, get him to fold on the turn - or if not, make him pay all he has to hit his draw, obv Im sure I hav the best hand, but so many rivers are gonna cost me the pot, plus the rest o my stack probably, coz the river becomes unfoldable unless the board pairs?

Is a shove stupid? I'd shove at nl30 but obv thats different, as top pair snap calls me.....
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Did I play this bad or just unlucky..:
    If a micro stake player posted this, can't help thinking the replies would be: Bad beat, you know you did nothing wrong, post some decent hands etc. but a lot less polite. FWIW I shove turn but only because this is profitable at 4NL.  At that level I check the river and cry like a baby. ;-)
    Posted by Patching99

see :-

In Response to Re: Did I play this bad or just unlucky..:
    This is like a beginners bad beat thread. FOLD FLOP OBV
    Posted by beaneh

In Response to Re: Did I play this bad or just unlucky..:
    Q/ Is there EVER a case in cash, to say, right, the pot is big enough now, I dont care if I have the best hand, the pot is v big, the board is scary, I don't want to continue with the hand, so I will take it away now? Am I gonna get crucified for this? Im obv looking at the pot as a nl30 player and the money is effecting my thinking right? My instinct reading it before reading any comments was, get him to fold on the turn - or if not, make him pay all he has to hit his draw, obv Im sure I hav the best hand, but so many rivers are gonna cost me the pot, plus the rest o my stack probably, coz the river becomes unfoldable unless the board pairs? Is a shove stupid? I'd shove at nl30 but obv thats different, as top pair snap calls me.....
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

you aren't playing against the board or the size of  the pot you are playing against your opponents range of hands. this is a £130 pot at nl30 it's not that big.

the game is the game, big blinds are the same regardless of what level or what denomination the big blinds are in.

why does the river become unfoldable? you cant put him on a hand that beats you and fold ever? 

shoving the turn is fine. 

extra thoughts- what do you do on the flop with AA instead of 78. what do you do with T9 etc. it's easy when we have a straight.

as I said before I think this is just GB advertising his utg range and the fact that the 1/2 games are juicy as hell.
  • edited July 2010

Yeh point taken, I sorta started with a question in my head and then tried to refer to the hand as an example - the pot isnt rly that big in terms of bb's.

I wud deffo shove though - but maybe thats so transparent at that level and is the play someone who wud make when they really don't know.

My initial question about a pot ever being big enough to just kill there and then and lose value - is a basic bankroll/scared money problem.

If he did shove the turn - the other guy shud fold right? and we don't want him to? - do we?

This getting value thing really is doing my hed in and costing me, leading to outdraws, horrid spots, and if anything, losing me value expecting bluffs to continue. I really can't get my head around it.

One thing thats inproved is Im value betting alot of rivers when checked to me with weaker hands, even thats going really well, Its getting value down the streets that I'm struggling with. Extracting on the river is kinda safe, it feels safe, coz If I get raised, I only have to call one....

Im a rubbish turn player - pretty confident with the rest of my game atm.
  • edited July 2010
    I wish i was confident with my play lol
  • edited July 2010
    Yeh point taken, I sorta started with a question in my head and then tried to refer to the hand as an example - the pot isnt rly that big in terms of bb's. I wud deffo shove though - but maybe thats so transparent at that level and is the play someone who wud make when they really don't know. My initial question about a pot ever being big enough to just kill there and then and lose value - is a basic bankroll/scared money problem. If he did shove the turn - the other guy shud fold right? and we don't want him to? - do we? This getting value thing really is doing my hed in and costing me, leading to outdraws, horrid spots, and if anything, losing me value expecting bluffs to continue. I really can't get my head around it. One thing thats inproved is Im value betting alot of rivers when checked to me with weaker hands, even thats going really well, Its getting value down the streets that I'm struggling with. Extracting on the river is kinda safe, it feels safe, coz If I get raised, I only have to call one.... Im a rubbish turn player - pretty confident with the rest of my game atm.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    bu-gger I just typed out a long post and then misclicked and went off to some silly blog so now have lost it.

IN summary.

yes br constraints can affect how you play but that's bad.

c/shoving the turn isn't too  bad, it depends what reads you have as to whether you can make c/c re-evaluate more profitable than c/shoving the turn. 

value bet when you can put your opponents on worse hands that CAN CALL A BET.
  • edited July 2010
    HI - JACK !!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    prinect Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £64.67
    revieyears Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £32.32
      Your hole cards
    • A

DOHHHHHHH Raise  £1.20 £1.65 £24.72
    xxxCall  £1.20 £2.85 £20.94
    BOSSMAM Fold     
    prinect Fold     
    revieyears Fold     
    Flop

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £1.80 £4.65 £22.92
    xxxCall  £1.80 £6.45 £19.14
    Turn

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £5.10 £11.55 £17.82
    xxxCall  £5.10 £16.65 £14.04
    River

• J

DOHHHH ?????

Hapened 2 mins ago, in 2 minds, as Im oop, as Id hate to face a raise, and wud much rather c/c than have to bet fold....

U v betting here? notes....1 sec...

"Called down the streets with 2 overs and checked behind the river"

"limp raised pre flop, with ace ten"

"Called an utg raise I squeezed from BB and he shoved for 90xbb with AJ"

What u thinking on this river, is there a case to value bet
  • edited July 2010

He cud have the 2 overs again, he cud have missed diamonds, maybe Ten and a picture.....

Is this where u add his range up and figure out if u beat more of the hands he cud have than not?

Or is it different OOP?
  • edited July 2010
    ^I would c-c here, FD missed, random 8x hand missed there draws, I think when you bet they will fold all there air obz, but if you check, you could get them to fire out with air.

• edited July 2010
    He cud have the 2 overs again, he cud have missed diamonds, maybe Ten and a picture..... Is this where u add his range up and figure out if u beat more of the hands he cud have than not? Or is it different OOP?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

bet more on the flop there are tons of worse hands that can call you and you're giving them a good price and you're oop.

turn is good, river is either one of three things a bet fold. a check call or a check fold. against this prescribed villain you could well just c/f to any decent sized bet basically.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Did I play this bad or just unlucky.. : bu-gger I just typed out a long post and then misclicked and went off to some silly blog so now have lost it. IN summary. yes br constraints can affect how you play but that's bad. c/shoving the turn isn't too  bad, it depends what reads you have as to whether you can make c/c re-evaluate more profitable than c/shoving the turn.  value bet when you can put your opponents on worse hands that CAN CALL A BET.
    Posted by beaneh
    I read a lot from you and LOL raise about making bets that weaker hands will call etc.  Are there also spots where its good to shut hands down and take the pot for what its worth?  Say for the example above but we put the player on J10s, flush draw, straight draw, do we shove turn then or what size bet for value here?  On the opposite side of things, if we don't think the player has a hand that can call a bet, what do we do, surely we still bet?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Did I play this bad or just unlucky.. : I read a lot from you and LOL raise about making bets that weaker hands will call etc.  Are there also spots where its good to shut hands down and take the pot for what its worth?  Say for the example above but we put the player on J10s, flush draw, straight draw, do we shove turn then or what size bet for value here?  On the opposite side of things, if we don't think the player has a hand that can call a bet, what do we do, surely we still bet?
    Posted by Patching99

if they dont have a hand and we dont either we bet.

if they dont have a hand and we have one but it's vulnerable we bet

if they dont have a hand and we have one thats awesomo we check (unless you think they will specifically play back at your bet).

rather than do or dont have hands, think about it as what proportions of hands are worse better etc and how will they play.

if you're betting you need to have reasons, get value from worse, fold out better hands etc
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Did I play this bad or just unlucky.. : if they dont have a hand and we dont either we bet. if they dont have a hand and we have one but it's vulnerable we bet if they dont have a hand and we have one thats awesomo we check (unless you think they will specifically play back at your bet). rather than do or dont have hands, think about it as what proportions of hands are worse better etc and how will they play. if you're betting you need to have reasons, get value from worse, fold out better hands etc
    Posted by beaneh
    Cheers beneah, makes sense, not very good at putting people on range of hands or anything like that yet.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Did I play this bad or just unlucky.. : Cheers beneah, makes sense, not very good at putting people on range of hands or anything like that yet.
    Posted by Patching99

try playing some very low stakes and just cover up your hole cards it will highlight the fact you need to understand why you are making each bet/raise and will improve your hand reading no end. As you dont know what you have you need to focus so much more on what your opponent does or doesn't have.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Did I play this bad or just unlucky.. : bet more on the flop there are tons of worse hands that can call you and you're giving them a good price and you're oop. turn is good, river is either one of three things a bet fold. a check call or a check fold. against this prescribed villain you could well just c/f to any decent sized bet basically.
    Posted by beaneh
    not a check raise? lol

bet more on flop . c/f fold river based on your reads already sounds like a good idea
  • edited July 2010
    Doh i think i bet the river because by the sounds of it he don't bluff when his draws miss (2 overs called down and not bet at), and i think you can get value from lots of 10x hands. So i bet fold.
  • edited July 2010
    Theres £16 in the pot BF...
    If I bet fold, Its gonna cost me the size of a value bet, plus the pot, so v bet of £7-10ish - to get value from the hands he cud call with that I can beat....

So if he raises me , I lose a total of £23ish.

Check call, means I lose the same if I'm behind, but find out for sure wether I'm beat or not.......

I might lose out on £7-10 of value, but so many times I recover this value by winning the main pot, and maybe catching a bluff?

I hate bettin and allowing myself to be bluffed, when for the same price, I can get my answer, and If its the wrong one, Im losing the same as I would anyway......

......check call???

How about in position? - deffo make a bet then right?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Did I play this bad or just unlucky.. : not a check raise? lol bet more on flop . c/f fold river based on your reads already sounds like a good idea
    Posted by lynx3ffect

we can check raise if he can bet 1pr hands worse than ours for thin value on the river and then think we've got air and bet call us. 

otherwise no I wouldn't consider c/r lol

and you know what I mean you cheeky glt!
  • edited July 2010
    Theres £16 in the pot BF... If I bet fold, Its gonna cost me the size of a value bet, plus the pot, so v bet of £7-10ish - to get value from the hands he cud call with that I can beat.... So if he raises me , I lose a total of £23ish. Check call, means I lose the same if I'm behind, but find out for sure wether I'm beat or not....... I might lose out on £7-10 of value, but so many times I recover this value by winning the main pot, and maybe catching a bluff? I hate bettin and allowing myself to be bluffed, when for the same price, I can get my answer, and If its the wrong one, Im losing the same as I would anyway...... ......check call??? How about in position? - deffo make a bet then right?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

if there are tonnes of middle pair kind of hands that he can peel the flop and turn because it's draw heavy and he's seen you bet draws before then there would still be some value to a river bet. Rather than just choosing c/c because it stops you possibly being frustrated by a raise and not seeing his hand you need to weigh up the 'value of the getting to showdown not being bluffed route' compared to the value of betting and possibly getting called. The only way to assess the situation is to properly try and analyse what range of hands he plays like this and how his range is therefore weighted in terms of combinations of each type. It's no use calling him because he can possible have tonnes of missed fd combos that you beat if he's never going to bet his missed draws, hence where reads come in.
  • edited July 2010

Surely u have to play for hours with a player to get this info?

I only 2 table, and check HH on any pot of substance and take notes, especially the ones Im not in.

I rarely find info like this.(maybe coz nobody does anything apart from check/call/donk bet/ and shove at nl30)

Also how many times must you see a player make a certain action, before u can pencil it in and rely on it as a solid read?
  • edited July 2010
    Surely u have to play for hours with a player to get this info? I only 2 table, and check HH on any pot of substance and take notes, especially the ones Im not in. I rarely find info like this.(maybe coz nobody does anything apart from check/call/donk bet/ and shove at nl30) Also how many times must you see a player make a certain action, before u can pencil it in and rely on it as a solid read?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

you need to learn to 'see' more. by that I mean you see someone cbet the flop with AQ on T32r for example and then the turn is an ace and they check back. there is alot you can take from that and alot more you can assume and pencil in as you say, and then add exclamation marks the more sure you are. And yes reads take time to build, and sometimes they will be wrong but if you're wrong you can correct them and suck it up and reload. 

also remember that you'll have more decision pre and on the flop than you will on the river so try and take more time over later street decisions as the pot will always be bigger and therefore the decisions more important.
  • edited July 2010
    Ok....

When you'r putting someone on a hand range throughout a hand.....

Say he has raised from 2nd position and is a TAG player.....

Hs opening 4x with any pair, suited pics, an occasionally mid con's.

The flop is 2 5 8 rainbow, he c bets, and u float from the button with a hand that doesnt really matter, say AK.

The turn is a 9, brings a flush draw.

He bets again. U call.

Turn pairs the 2 which is a blank unless he has quad 2's.

He bets again.

Is the hand range u have him on on the turn, still the hand range u have him on now, or is it constantly changing according to what he does?

I trying to explain what I mean and not doing it well. If you have him on a range of hands on the turn, is this the same range u sud be basing ur decision on on the river, no matter what his action is??

Surely if every action he makes, defines his range in your own mind, it will be too easy for him to be deceptive and run over me?

k k  2 2 on the board, and the river brings a k and he shoves the river, now the range of hands u can have him on here is the last king, or pocket aces - but prior to the river, he cud have a wide range of hands?

Wheres the line come in between percieved and actual range come in?
  • edited July 2010
    ??????????????????????????????