You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Odds question...

edited July 2010 in Poker Chat

This is probably a really stupid question to ask as the answer may get me in alot of trouble.

If I am dealt Ace King at a 6 handed table, what are the fractional odds of any opponent having pocket Kings or pocket aces?

Thanx

Comments

• edited July 2010
    It all depends who is sat at the table. If its Tikay or phil12uk, or a couple of others i could mention then its a 100% certanty that they will have the AA or KK if you are dealt AK lol, as a fraction i think that is 1/1, i hope this helps.
  • edited July 2010

Wakey wakey Vince
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Odds question...:
    Wakey wakey Vince
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    come on dohhhhhh you know vince is nocturnal, you got no hope of him answering until at least midnight.

• edited July 2010
    1 out of 121 times.
  • edited July 2010
    Nearly harvey its 1 in 121.5555555555555 times

PS unless as looney says its Tikay or Phil
  • edited July 2010
    @DOHHHHHHHH. The racing post have a good book on poker that gives you all the odds in a range of different scenarios, very thorough and in table format that make it easy to understand and remember. but(and i'm trying to be lighthearted), 'it happens'! ;)
  • edited July 2010
    1 out of 121 times.
    Posted by harvey23
    I'm pretty sure that is incorrect.

I'd say that the odds of another player holding AA or KK if you hold AK on a six seater table are 40 to 1
    (i.e. 5 * 2 * 3/50 * 2 /49).

As always, I'm happy to be corrected.
  • edited July 2010
    40/1??? is that all???

I thought 120/1 was abit low....
  • edited July 2010
    40/1??? is that all??? I thought 120/1 was abit low....
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Not on a six seater table.
  • edited July 2010

So if I have ace king, its a 40/1 shot that someone has me absolutely crushed then.

Thanx, I thought the odds wud be something krazy, 300/1 maybe - which wud make AK unfoldable in my mind, and cost me a fortune. 40/1 is a big eye opener for me.

How about the odds of KK and AA being dealt in the same set of hole cards, 6 handed?

Mght as well ask away while you're awake :)

• edited July 2010
    So if I have ace king, its a 40/1 shot that someone has me absolutely crushed then. Thanx, I thought the odds wud be something krazy, 300/1 maybe - which wud make AK unfoldable in my mind, and cost me a fortune. 40/1 is a big eye opener for me. How about the odds of KK and AA being dealt in the same set of hole cards, 6 handed? Mght as well ask away while you're awake :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Roughly 1/221 * 1/221 * 30 = 1627/1.
    (There are 30 ways that six players could hold two hands).

The odds of someone holding KK if someone else has AA aren't quite 1/221 but it's close enough.
  • edited July 2010

'The odds of someone holding KK if someone else has AA aren't quite 1/221 but it's close enough'

So when I had AA v KK 3 times on the bounce a month or so ago and the KK won every race................all six handed.......odds of that please Vince? You may of answered this one before but as I was tilting for England after this, I may of missed it.

Sorry for hijacking your thread JJ. Have you seen my thread in area51 BTW all about AK?

• edited July 2010
    Hi - Jack away, the more info the better.

So to clarify, if I have AK, its a 40/1 shot that Im gonna be crushed.

And If I have KK, Im gonna be AIPF v AA once every 220 times! - I think I've heard that before and just forgot.

Amzed at the 40/1 tho! Scary!
  • edited July 2010
    'The odds of someone holding KK if someone else has AA aren't quite 1/221 but it's close enough' So when I had AA v KK 3 times on the bounce a month or so ago and the KK won every race................all six handed.......odds of that please Vince? You may of answered this one before but as I was tilting for England after this, I may of missed it. Sorry for hijacking your thread JJ. Have you seen my thread in area51 BTW all about AK?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    It's "slim" if you mean consecutive hands.
    I'd say roughly 1/221*1/221*5*.2*1/221*1/221*5*.2*1/221*1/221*5*.2.
    This would be about 116,507,435,287,320 to 1.

If you just mean each time you got AA (on non-consecutive hands) someone got KK and beat you, then I'd say roughly 1/221*5*.2*1/221*5*.2*1/221*5*.2 which is about 10,793,860 to 1.
  • edited July 2010
    Hi - Jack away, the more info the better. So to clarify, if I have AK, its a 40/1 shot that Im gonna be crushed. And If I have KK, Im gonna be AIPF v AA once every 220 times! - I think I've heard that before and just forgot. Amzed at the 40/1 tho! Scary!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yes, if you consider AK v KK being crushed.

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Odds question... : It's "slim" if you mean consecutive hands. I'd say roughly 1/221*1/221*5*.2*1/221*1/221*5*.2*1/221*1/221*5*.2. This would be about 116,507,435,287,320 to 1. If you just mean each time you got AA (on non-consecutive hands) someone got KK and beat you, then I'd say roughly 1/221*5*.2*1/221*5*.2*1/221*5*.2 which is about 10,793,860 to 1.
    Posted by MereNovice
    TY. Yes, it wasn't consecutive hands but was 3 consecutive times that I had AA and was beat by KK every time!! Hence my tilt dot com. Wow......some odds that! Cheers Vince.

Have you read that thread JJ? (in area 51....AK....how good/bad are these two cards)
  • edited July 2010
    @doh the chances of being dealt AK is 110 to 1, AKs is 331 to 1,the chances of being dealt any pair is 16 to 1, A's OR k's is 220 to 1 and if you are holding AK the chances of an opponent having A's or K's is relative to that! it is definitely not 40 to 1! removing an A and K and the deck to 50 cards doesn't reduce the odds by a factor of 5+. ;)

p.s remember doh that AK gets beat by any pair and even if you catch the flop with either or both there are many scenario's that will beat you.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Odds question... : I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. I'd say that the odds of another player holding AA or KK if you hold AK on a six seater table are 40 to 1 (i.e. 5 * 2 * 3/50 * 2 /49). As always, I'm happy to be corrected.
    Posted by MereNovice
    I`m not really an odds person, but this answer sounds the most realistic in terms of `live` game play on a six seater.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Odds question... : I`m not really an odds person, but this answer sounds the most realistic in terms of `live` game play on a six seater.
    Posted by candi
    certainly not as odd as a few people on here.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Odds question... : certainly not as odd as a few people on here.
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    Lol : ) xxx
  • edited July 2010
    @doh the chances of being dealt AK is 110 to 1, AKs is 331 to 1,the chances of being dealt any pair is 16 to 1, A's OR k's is 220 to 1 and if you are holding AK the chances of an opponent having A's or K's is relative to that! it is definitely not 40 to 1! removing an A and K and the deck to 50 cards doesn't reduce the odds by a factor of 5+. ;) p.s remember doh that AK gets beat by any pair and even if you catch the flop with either or both there are many scenario's that will beat you.
    Posted by stoneface1
    You appear to be unable to understand Dohhhhhhh's question.

Also the odds of being dealt AK are actually 82 to 1.
    The odds of being dealt AK offsuit are 110 to 1. (109.5 to 1 to be precise).

When copying statistics from a "crib sheet" it is generally wise to make sure that you do it correctly.

• edited July 2010

Maybe Im the one who doesnt understand my question....

Can u spell out in your words what question you answered Vince with 40/1?

I swear I have an A level in English.....yet I can never explain myself.

I just wanna know the chances someone holds AA OR KK at 6 handed table, when I have ACE KING

Thats what u answered right?
  • edited July 2010
    Maybe Im the one who doesnt understand my question.... Can u spell out in your words what question you answered Vince with 40/1? I swear I have an A level in English.....yet I can never explain myself. I just wanna know the chances someone holds AA OR KK at 6 handed table, when I have ACE KING Thats what u answered right?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Exactly.
    You explained yourself perfectly - on this occasion   ;-)))

I will expand on the answer that I gave because stoneface1 appears unable to grasp it and it may help him to explain why I am definitely wrong.

There are 50 cards left in the deck including 3 aces and 3 kings.
    The odds of one other person holding AA or KK is

2 * 5 * 3/50 * 2/49

3/50 is the probability that the first card that a person gets dealt is an ace.
    2/49 is the probability that the second card that a person gets dealt is also an ace.
    Multiply this by 2 for aces or kings.
    Multiply this by 5 because any of the 5 players at the table can get this hand.

This gives the probability as 0.0245 which is approximately 40/1.

If you'd like any further clarification, please let me know.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Odds question... : Exactly. You explained yourself perfectly - on this occasion   ;-))) I will expand on the answer that I gave because stoneface1 appears unable to grasp it and it may help him to explain why I am definitely wrong. There are 50 cards left in the deck including 3 aces and 3 kings. The odds of one other person holding AA or KK is 2 * 5 * 3/50 * 2/49 3/50 is the probability that the first card that a person gets dealt is an ace. 2/49 is the probability that the second card that a person gets dealt is also an ace. Multiply this by 2 for aces or kings. Multiply this by 5 because any of the 5 players at the table can get this hand. This gives the probability as 0.0245 which is approximately 40/1. If you'd like any further clarification, please let me know.
    Posted by MereNovice
    I'm not nit picking as i dont know, but is not 40/1 as a percentage 2.5% and not 0.0245%? Or is the figure not a percentage?? you got me confused now, which isn't that difficult i can tell you!
  • edited July 2010

I thought this a while ago when having a debate with someone.

I think 0.01 equates to 1%

0.10 is 10%?

0.99 is 99%

so 0.0245 = 2.45%?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Odds question... : I'm not nit picking as i dont know, but is not 40/1 as a percentage 2.5% and not 0.0245%? Or is the figure not a percentage?? you got me confused now, which isn't that difficult i can tell you!
    Posted by loonytoons
    You can nit pick any time that you like. I'm more than happy to enter into a civil conversation with anyone.

0.0245 is a fraction and equates to 2.45%.

2.5% isn't quite 40 to 1; it is be 39 to 1 (to be precise).  :-)))
  • edited July 2010
    I thought this a while ago when having a debate with someone. I think 0.01 equates to 1% 0.10 is 10%? 0.99 is 99% so 0.0245 = 2.45%?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Bingo!! i think we got it through teamwork. You reckon 0.99 is 99% so i multiplied 0.0245 by 40 and it came in at 0.98!! thats near enough for me, i think.
  • edited July 2010
    I thought this a while ago when having a debate with someone. I think 0.01 equates to 1% 0.10 is 10%? 0.99 is 99% so 0.0245 = 2.45%?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yes. Exactly this.

Mathematicians generally express probabilities as a fraction.
  • edited July 2010
    Maybe Im the one who doesnt understand my question.... Can u spell out in your words what question you answered Vince with 40/1? I swear I have an A level in English.....yet I can never explain myself. I just wanna know the chances someone holds AA OR KK at 6 handed table, when I have ACE KING Thats what u answered right?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I wouldn't.