You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Yeah Baby Yeah!

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
A Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £5.28
B Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £3.27
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • J

C Raise   £0.16 £0.28 £2.94
BananaDog Raise   £0.40 £0.68 £10.71
D Call   £0.40 £1.08 £28.45
E Call   £0.40 £1.48 £1.03
A Fold        
B Call   £0.32 £1.80 £2.95
C Call   £0.24 £2.04 £2.70
Flop

• Q
  • K

B Check        
C Bet   £0.40 £2.44 £2.30
BananaDog Raise   £3.24 £5.68 £7.47
D All-in   £28.45 £34.13 £0.00
E All-in   £1.03 £35.16 £0.00
B Fold        
C Fold        
BananaDog All-in   £7.47 £42.63 £0.00
D Unmatched bet   £17.74 £24.89 £17.74
BananaDog Show
  • A
  • J

D Show
  • J
  • A

E Show

Turn

River

• Q

BananaDog Win Royal Flush £23.49   £23.49

Comments

• edited July 2010
    well done on playing the hand incorrect on every street.
  • edited July 2010
    a little jealous? lol
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Yeah Baby Yeah!:
    a little jealous? lol
    Posted by BananaDog
    I think soooooooo.

Nice one.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Yeah Baby Yeah! : I think soooooooo. Nice one.
    Posted by MereNovice
    ty merekat :)
    ps, Harvey..I didnt actually ask for your opinion in the first place!
  • edited July 2010
    Posted by harvey23
    So we're saying flatting a min-raise from UTG with AJs pre-flop with players behind is optimum? Or are you folding AJ to a min-raise at 4p/8p?

As for post flop, the flop is smack in the middle of the ranges for those who have called a 3bet from behind the AJ: AK/AQ/AJ/KQ/KJ/TT/99 and so on. If you've flopped the nuts, have a redraw to the nuts AND think you'll get all the money in on the flop from hands such as those listed, why are you going to smooth and let cards which shut down business on the turn (such as top pair and a draw folding when fourth street is a heart...) arrive?

Incorrect on every street? I don't think so. I think the way Bananadog played the hand is one of a couple of ways of playing it, no better or worse necessarily than your line, Harvey. What would your line be here, just out of interest? If you're going to label the play bad it would be in keeping with why we have The Poker Clinic to suggest how to improve, right?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Yeah Baby Yeah! : So we're saying flatting a min-raise from UTG with AJs pre-flop with players behind is optimum? Or are you folding AJ to a min-raise at 4p/8p? As for post flop, the flop is smack in the middle of the ranges for those who have called a 3bet from behind the AJ: AK/AQ/AJ/KQ/KJ/TT/99 and so on. If you've flopped the nuts, have a redraw to the nuts AND think you'll get all the money in on the flop from hands such as those listed, why are you going to smooth and let cards which shut down business on the turn (such as top pair and a draw folding when fourth street is a heart...) arrive? Incorrect on every street? I don't think so. I think the way Bananadog played the hand is one of a couple of ways of playing it, no better or worse necessarily than your line, Harvey. What would your line be here, just out of interest? If you're going to label the play bad it would be in keeping with why we have The Poker Clinic to suggest how to improve, right?
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    You should post more, Dave.
  • edited July 2010
     Brilliant you played the players as well as you played the cards. Really well done!
  • edited July 2010
    id raise slightly less on the flop but apart from that i think its totally fine. the UTG minraiser's stack size is perfect for him to backraise shove over the top, aslong as you were aware that there is a good chance of him doing this and you were going to re-isolate and get the money in preflop vs him then its fine
  • ybyb
    edited July 2010
    I'm still waiting for my first time!!

:(
  • edited July 2010
    bet sizing was incorrect on every street, 3betting to 40p, what does this acheive? nothing, make it around 56~ instead of min raising.

flop raise is also bad, you have just bet £3.24 into a £2.44 pot, alarm bells at this point are already going off about what you are holding. its just a cooler that both players in the hand hit the flop in a big way and regardless of how badly you played it, you was going to get paid off.

why overbet the flop when you flop the nuts, and have a re-draw to the bigger nuts? if villians want to bluff on this flop you have pretty much stopped them with your over bet on the flop. raise it to like £2~ instead of way over pot, so when they do have bluffs, they have the OPTION of shoving with ther air hands, when you overbet, pretty obvious you are never folding at this point.

• edited July 2010

bet sizing was incorrect on every street, 3betting to 40p, what does this acheive? nothing, make it around 56~ instead of min raising. flop raise is also babe bad, you have just bet £3.24 into a £2.44 pot, alarm bells at this point are already going off about what you are holding. its just a cooler that both players in the hand hit the flop in a big way and regardless of how badly you played it, you was going to get paid off. why overbet the flop when you flop the nuts, and have a re-draw to the bigger nuts? if villians want to bluff on this flop you have pretty much stopped them with your over bet on the flop. raise it to like £2~ instead of way over pot, so when they do have bluffs, they have the OPTION of shoving with ther air hands, when you overbet, pretty obvious you are never folding at this point.
    Posted by harvey23
    Can you give us your reads on A, B, C, D & E?
    You've obviously played them many times to be able to give such strong an opinion.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Yeah Baby Yeah! : Can you give us your reads on A, B, C, D & E? You've obviously played them many times to be able to give such strong an opinion.
    Posted by MereNovice
    i answred sky dave question on how i would of played it with good detail, if you think what I said is wrong please tell me what parts so i can review, instead of doing some sly remark which does not help this thread in anyway.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Yeah Baby Yeah! : Can you give us your reads on A, B, C, D & E? You've obviously played them many times to be able to give such strong an opinion.
    Posted by MereNovice
    i answred sky dave question on how i would of played it with good detail, if you think what I said is wrong please tell me what parts so i can review, instead of doing some sly remark which does not help this thread in anyway.
  • edited July 2010
    Posted by harvey23
    This post obviously helped the thread.

The OP got the maximum from multiple players - let's just assume that she had a better read than you did.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Yeah Baby Yeah! : This post obviously helped the thread. The OP got the maximum from multiple players - let's just assume that she had a better read than you did.
    Posted by MereNovice
    its like I said, both flopped massive hands, the money was going in reardlgess of how they played it, esp with typical sky players who cant fold a fd when its obvious they are way behind.

to maximise expectation for weaker hands and bluffs, OP should not overbet that flop.

If I have AA and someone has KK flop comes AK2r, I open shove my stack, and villain calls, its such a awful play to open shove the nuts, villian is folding 95% of there range unless they have AK/KK/22, which just happens they did, does this make me a good player because i got there stack? no.

on the comment on my first post, yeah i should of explained a bit more in depth, but this is the poker clinch were people post hands they need help on, if you want to brag go post it in the other sections. I mean I won $200 in like 1hr last night, dont see me posting every hand i played and graphs here do you.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm still waiting for my first time!! :(
    Posted by yb

Really? Iv'e had it like 8 or 9 times lol!
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Yeah Baby Yeah! : its like I said, both flopped massive hands, the money was going in reardlgess of how they played it, esp with typical sky players who cant fold a fd when its obvious they are way behind. to maximise expectation for weaker hands and bluffs, OP should not overbet that flop. If I have AA and someone has KK flop comes AK2r, I open shove my stack, and villain calls, its such a awful play to open shove the nuts, villian is folding 95% of there range unless they have AK/KK/22, which just happens they did, does this make me a good player because i got there stack? no. on the comment on my first post, yeah i should of explained a bit more in depth, but this is the poker clinch were people post hands they need help on, if you want to brag go post it in the other sections. I mean I won $200 in like 1hr last night, dont see me posting every hand i played and graphs here do you.
    Posted by harvey23
    Harvey i completely agree with you m8,well said.PS as youve noticed already some people CANNOT ever see they are wrong.N1 mate
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Yeah Baby Yeah! : its like I said, both flopped massive hands, the money was going in reardlgess of how they played it, esp with typical sky players who cant fold a fd when its obvious they are way behind. to maximise expectation for weaker hands and bluffs, OP should not overbet that flop. If I have AA and someone has KK flop comes AK2r, I open shove my stack, and villain calls, its such a awful play to open shove the nuts, villian is folding 95% of there range unless they have AK/KK/22, which just happens they did, does this make me a good player because i got there stack? no. on the comment on my first post, yeah i should of explained a bit more in depth, but this is the poker clinch were people post hands they need help on, if you want to brag go post it in the other sections. I mean I won $200 in like 1hr last night, dont see me posting every hand i played and graphs here do you.
    Posted by harvey23
    How many hands have you played against Sky players, harvie?
    Are you particularly experienced at the level that the OP was playing against?

It's often good play to bet your hand against players who will pay to draw to a hand that you already have or to a worse draw. Poor players tend not to bet their strong hands for fear of scaring away weaker hands. By overbetting her hand the OP disguises her hand beautifully by making it look like she didn't want a caller.

Against multiple players she maximised her chance of getting a call before they had missed their draws and decided that the odds were against them on the flop. The flop hit a huge number of hands and it was a good move to maximise the money in the pot.

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Yeah Baby Yeah! : How many hands have you played against Sky players, harvie? Do you know the level that the OP was playing against? It's often good play to bet your hand against players who will pay to draw to a hand that you already have or to a worse draw. Poor players tend not to bet their strong hands for fear of scaring away weaker hands. By overbetting her hand the OP disguises her hand beautifully by making it look like she didn't want a caller.
    Posted by MereNovice
    i think dave is right when people can't accpet when they are wrong. over betting into 2 people as a bluff is a bad play.

op bet roughly around 1.5 the size of the pot, so for this to work as a bluff they need to fold 60%~ of the time or more, and this is agaisnt 2 players so this play will not be profitable ever.

Also the whole idea of betting huge, to make our hand look like a bluff, does not work at 4/8p where the level of thinking is quite basic. to me merenovice it sees I have upset you for some reason, and know you just are some exerme wild plays to counteract everything I am saying.

• edited July 2010
    By overbetting her hand the OP disguises her hand beautifully by making it look like she didn't want a caller.
    Posted by MereNovice
    ty...someone who actually understands!
    Also remember that I am a new cash player and am still learning and also remeber i dont really care what you think Harvey cos you are just happy when your moaning! I was gonna say thanks for explaining but I think youd also find something to argue with about that so I wont bother!!!!!
    ps, there is no need to be so sarcey on your first post..it doesnt make you look clever!

Now calm the hell down cos no-one can be bothered arguing with you anymore!!!!

• edited July 2010
    Very well done Julie
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Yeah Baby Yeah! : i think dave is right when people can't accpet when they are wrong. over betting into 2 people as a bluff is a bad play. op bet roughly around 1.5 the size of the pot, so for this to work as a bluff they need to fold 60%~ of the time or more, and this is agaisnt 2 players so this play will not be profitable ever. Also the whole idea of betting huge, to make our hand look like a bluff, does not work at 4/8p where the level of thinking is quite basic. to me merenovice it sees I have upset you for some reason, and know you just are some exerme wild plays to counteract everything I am saying.
    Posted by harvey23
    Quite the opposite.
    You seem unable to accept that your AB thinking isn't the best play in every situation and that your mechanistic moves are non-optimal when you know nothing about the table dynamics.
    Best of luck with your play - but don't overtly criticise people who have played a hand far more successfully than you appear to be capable of.

You may have a basic understanding of the game - but it is certainly basic.

To quote Skakespeare:

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy"
  • edited July 2010
    well in every post i try to post what i think is the best way to play the hand, i get alot of private message from people who sometime even ask me to post in there threads for advice, and other who want my advice on hands from me, So I must be doing something right.

I mean I would hardly call my poker thought process basic, I have proven to everyone here with my stats and info, that I have beaten limits up to 50nl with ease. Which is alot more then alot of people on here can say.
  • edited July 2010
    well in every post i try to post what i think is the best way to play the hand
    Posted by harvey23
    well you didnt though did you...you said " well done on playing the hand incorrect on every street." as soon as I posted my hand which to me is just you trying to make yourself look big and clever and me look small and stupid...well I would take advice from anyone as Im starting out and the more help I can get the better but you just have this horrid attitude so I'm ending this here as I've had enough of this thread and wish i hadn't bothered posting in the first place!
    I mean how dare me actually be happy that I had my first Royal flush and got paid! I'm soooo sorry!
  • edited July 2010
    well in every post i try to post what i think is the best way to play the hand, i get alot of private message from people who sometime even ask me to post in there threads for advice, and other who want my advice on hands from me, So I must be doing something right. I mean I would hardly call my poker thought process basic, I have proven to everyone here with my stats and info, that I have beaten limits up to 50nl with ease. Which is alot more then alot of people on here can say.
    Posted by harvey23
    When you have slaughtered every level, then you can claim that your thinking is sufficient to say that other people's play is so bad. I get asked to post a lot of things but it doesn't mean that I can (or should) criticise posters unless I know that they are factually incorrect.

Poker is generally a game of opinions. Your opinion may have some merit in some cases but stating that other peoples opinions are worthless is remarkably stupid.

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Yeah Baby Yeah! : well you didnt though did you...you said " well done on playing the hand incorrect on every street." as soon as I posted my hand which to me is just you trying to make yourself look big and clever and me look small and stupid
    Posted by BananaDog
    i am sorry for that comment.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Yeah Baby Yeah! : i am sorry for that comment.
    Posted by harvey23
    ty
  • edited July 2010

Congrats Banana, nice one! 8- />

The only thing I would say in Nasser's defence (sorry Harvie, with that profile pic, I can only picture you as the ex-England cricket captain) is that this thread has been posted in the wrong section, but I guess Banana was a little excited and it was an easy mistake to make which elicited Harvie's dig in his first comment.

But he has apologised for it now and since then both he and Mere have had a constructive and healthy debate and amen to that.
  • ybyb
    edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Yeah Baby Yeah! : Really? Iv'e had it like 8 or 9 times lol!
    Posted by BrownnDog
    You must run goooood

Remind me to never sit down on your tables lol
  • edited July 2010

hey bananadog nice hand!!!

im still waiting for my first royal flush.......................................................

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii