You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is being a sky presenter an actual job

edited July 2010 in Poker Chat
Do you agree that its quite easy being a sky presenter, just sit on a chair and talk about poker for about 8 hours a week?

Theres no wrong or right answer so its hard to be critical of their opinions.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    It ain't as easy as THEY make it look!
  • edited July 2010
    *Awaits Claire to throw down the gauntlet and have some tea and sandwiches ready and waiting at the studio* :)
  • edited July 2010
    A Cow, a Horse and a Diggerman.  Did I log onto Sky Farmyard by mistake?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Is being a sky presenter an actual job:
    A Cow, a Horse and a Diggerman.  Did I log onto Sky Farmyard by mistake?
    Posted by Machka
    The new game brought to you by the makers of Sky Poker.
    Soon to be available via Facebook.

Collect four animals of the same kind for big prizes!!!

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Is being a sky presenter an actual job:
    Do you agree that its quite easy being a sky presenter, just sit on a chair and talk about poker for about 8 hours a week? Theres no wrong or right answer so its hard to be critical of their opinions.
    Posted by MadHorse
    lol Madhorse.

There's two questions here..

The first 'is it an actual job'- Well I would say yes as I still have to pay tax!

The second 'is it easy'- This is the difficult question. I LOVE my job and I love poker, which always makes things 'easier'.

Whilst replying to this thread and thinking about whether it might by 'easy'. I would suggest placing yourself on a stool on a stage in front of a few thousand people who like ice cream and who's job it is to stare at you. And you then have to explain to them in the simplest of terms but not in a 'patronising' or 'dumbing down' way exactly how ice cream is made and the best ways to eat it. Oh and you MUST also use ice cream specific terms in order not to alienate ice cream savvy eaters... but make them easy to understand and relatable to people who may not know those terms just yet.

You must also keep in mind the following things:

You will be sitting on this stool in front of these people for FOUR hours straight with these people all staring at you all of the time so you will always be 'ON'.

It is YOUR job to keep these thousands of people interested in Ice cream for the full four hours.

You must be mindful and considerate with the other person sitting with you and not talk over them and pay constant attention the flow of conversation.

YOU MUST NEVER LET THERE BE DEAD AIR!!!!!

Ice cream TV is a legal mine field and there is a phone book sized file of words, phrases and conversation subjects that mean immediate dismissal or very large fines if you should accidently use one.

Some people like ice cream more than others and is it is your job to show them how awesome ice cream can be.

Some people have only ever tried someone else's ice cream and you must show them how much fun YOUR ice cream can be and pass on your enthusiasm for ice cream whilst relaying how many flavours and the difference between these flavours.

Some people know a lot more about ice cream than you do and just want to be entertained with ice cream on the side so you must constantly think of things other than ice cream to talk about... but not straying too far or for too long.

These people LOVE ice cream too and a lot of them have their own way of eating it that may be different from yours so you must always back up everything you say and allow for the fact that there are MANY different ways of eating ice cream.

You must ALWAYS be enthusiastic about ice cream. Even when ice cream is not being good to you personally.

Some people will be going through a period time where the ice cream melts before they even get to eat it. This is not fun for them and you must then find a way to help them through this.

Whilst sitting on this stool and talking there will be at least three other people other than your co-presenter talking at you in your ear. Whilst they are doing this you must not answer these 'ear' people directly (as you may look crazy) or react to what they are saying but you must utilize the information they are giving you and DO NOT under any circumstances stop talking to the thousands of people whilst listening to the 'ear' people!

One if the 'ear' people will tell you exactly which direction to look in at all times and this could change at any moment as there will be a choice of four directions for you to look at and if you look at the wrong one you will look silly and the thousands of people will lose their 'connection' with you.

Other than the time you are sitting on the stool... You must think about ice cream and eat ice cream enough to be up to date with what is going on in the world of ice cream and know what other ice cream eaters are up to and who is doing well with their ice creams and winning many chocolate sprinkles.

Also there is are these annoying things called 'rent/mortgage/loans ets' and you must constantly write letters and beg people to let you talk about things ice cream and otherwise to other thousands of people in order to get the necessary chocolate sprinkles to keep the gingerbread house over your head!

Hope this helps.

Now where's my ice cream?

• edited July 2010
     Wow LML! Great explanation of what your job entails. Just out to buy some ice cream for breakfast! :)
  • edited July 2010
    Nice one Lisa!
  • edited July 2010

lisa... was that a yes or a no?

• edited July 2010
    I think its an extremely hard job - made to look simple !!

Next case lol
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Is being a sky presenter an actual job : lol Madhorse. There's two questions here.. The first 'is it an actual job'- Well I would say yes as I still have to pay tax! The second 'is it easy'- This is the difficult question. I LOVE my job and I love poker, which always makes things 'easier'. Whilst replying to this thread and thinking about whether it might by 'easy'. I would suggest placing yourself on a stool on a stage in front of a few thousand people who like ice cream and who's job it is to stare at you. And you then have to explain to them in the simplest of terms but not in a 'patronising' or 'dumbing down' way exactly how  ice cream  is made and the best ways to eat it. Oh and you MUST also use ice cream specific terms in order not to alienate ice cream savvy eaters... but make them easy to understand and relatable to people who may not know those terms just yet. You must also keep in mind the following things: You will be sitting on this stool in front of these people for FOUR hours straight with these people all staring at you all of the time so you will always be 'ON'. It is YOUR job to keep these thousands of people interested in Ice cream for the full four hours. You must be mindful and considerate with the other person sitting with you and not talk over them and pay constant attention the flow of conversation. YOU MUST NEVER LET THERE BE DEAD AIR!!!!! Ice cream TV is a legal mine field and there is a phone book sized file of words, phrases and conversation subjects that mean immediate dismissal or very large fines if you should accidently use one. Some people like ice cream more than others and is it is your job to show them how awesome ice cream can be. Some people have only ever tried someone else's ice cream and you must show them how much fun YOUR ice cream can be and pass on your enthusiasm for ice cream whilst relaying how many flavours and the difference between these flavours. Some people know a lot more about ice cream than you do and just want to be entertained with ice cream on the side so you must constantly think of things other than ice cream to talk about... but not straying too far or for too long. These people LOVE ice cream too and a lot of them have their own way of eating it that may be different from yours so you must always back up everything you say and allow for the fact that there are MANY different ways of eating ice cream. You must ALWAYS be enthusiastic about ice cream. Even when ice cream is not being good to you personally. Some people will be going through a period time where the ice cream melts before they even get to eat it. This is not fun for them and you must then find a way to help them through this. Whilst sitting on this stool and talking there will be at least three other people other than your co-presenter talking at you in your ear. Whilst they are doing this you must not answer these 'ear' people directly (as you may look crazy) or react to what they are saying but you must utilize the information they are giving you and DO NOT under any circumstances stop talking to the thousands of people whilst listening to the 'ear' people! One if the 'ear' people will tell you exactly which direction to look in at all times and this could change at any moment as there will be a choice of four directions for you to look at and if you look at the wrong one you will look silly and the thousands of people will lose their 'connection' with you. Other than the time you are sitting on the stool... You must think about ice cream and eat ice cream enough to be up to date with what is going on in the world of ice cream and know what other ice cream eaters are up to and who is doing well with their ice creams and winning many chocolate sprinkles. Also there is are these annoying things called 'rent/mortgage/loans ets' and you must constantly write letters and beg people to let you talk about things ice cream and otherwise to other thousands of people in order to get the necessary chocolate sprinkles to keep the gingerbread house over your head! Hope this helps. Now where's my ice cream?
    Posted by Lisa_Marie
    So is that a yes or a no? :)

Seriously, I've had two nights of live TV and the talkback alone and knnowing which camera you're going to next while trying to have an intelligent conversation about flop texture, bet sizing or trains is pretty tough. I doff my cap to each and every one of our presenters because frankly it's a LOT tougher than it looks.

Like LML says though, it is easier when you love doing it, though.
  • edited July 2010
    Madhorse could do the presenting when Harvey23 does the analysis :)
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Is being a sky presenter an actual job : LOL Noseybonk, Channel 614 is awesome, and If we can get Mr Tumble to do the grind, we would have a full-house so-to-speak. Out of interest though, what IS the best way to eat Ice-Cream and how nasty is the Ice-Cream that costs 79p for 2 litres at Lidl?
    Posted by emilyegg

Ben and Jerrys Half Baked.. Nuff said!!
  • edited July 2010
    When's this program on ice cream starting?
    I used to eat a fair bit of ice cream but I haven't had any for years.
    I feel that you're the kind of presenter that could get me interested in ice cream again.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Is being a sky presenter an actual job : lol Madhorse. There's two questions here.. The first 'is it an actual job'- Well I would say yes as I still have to pay tax! The second 'is it easy'- This is the difficult question. I LOVE my job and I love poker, which always makes things 'easier'. Whilst replying to this thread and thinking about whether it might by 'easy'. I would suggest placing yourself on a stool on a stage in front of a few thousand people who like ice cream and who's job it is to stare at you. And you then have to explain to them in the simplest of terms but not in a 'patronising' or 'dumbing down' way exactly how  ice cream  is made and the best ways to eat it. Oh and you MUST also use ice cream specific terms in order not to alienate ice cream savvy eaters... but make them easy to understand and relatable to people who may not know those terms just yet. You must also keep in mind the following things: You will be sitting on this stool in front of these people for FOUR hours straight with these people all staring at you all of the time so you will always be 'ON'. It is YOUR job to keep these thousands of people interested in Ice cream for the full four hours. You must be mindful and considerate with the other person sitting with you and not talk over them and pay constant attention the flow of conversation. YOU MUST NEVER LET THERE BE DEAD AIR!!!!! Ice cream TV is a legal mine field and there is a phone book sized file of words, phrases and conversation subjects that mean immediate dismissal or very large fines if you should accidently use one. Some people like ice cream more than others and is it is your job to show them how awesome ice cream can be. Some people have only ever tried someone else's ice cream and you must show them how much fun YOUR ice cream can be and pass on your enthusiasm for ice cream whilst relaying how many flavours and the difference between these flavours. Some people know a lot more about ice cream than you do and just want to be entertained with ice cream on the side so you must constantly think of things other than ice cream to talk about... but not straying too far or for too long. These people LOVE ice cream too and a lot of them have their own way of eating it that may be different from yours so you must always back up everything you say and allow for the fact that there are MANY different ways of eating ice cream. You must ALWAYS be enthusiastic about ice cream. Even when ice cream is not being good to you personally. Some people will be going through a period time where the ice cream melts before they even get to eat it. This is not fun for them and you must then find a way to help them through this. Whilst sitting on this stool and talking there will be at least three other people other than your co-presenter talking at you in your ear. Whilst they are doing this you must not answer these 'ear' people directly (as you may look crazy) or react to what they are saying but you must utilize the information they are giving you and DO NOT under any circumstances stop talking to the thousands of people whilst listening to the 'ear' people! One if the 'ear' people will tell you exactly which direction to look in at all times and this could change at any moment as there will be a choice of four directions for you to look at and if you look at the wrong one you will look silly and the thousands of people will lose their 'connection' with you. Other than the time you are sitting on the stool... You must think about ice cream and eat ice cream enough to be up to date with what is going on in the world of ice cream and know what other ice cream eaters are up to and who is doing well with their ice creams and winning many chocolate sprinkles. Also there is are these annoying things called 'rent/mortgage/loans ets' and you must constantly write letters and beg people to let you talk about things ice cream and otherwise to other thousands of people in order to get the necessary chocolate sprinkles to keep the gingerbread house over your head! Hope this helps. Now where's my ice cream?
    Posted by Lisa_Marie
    You just have to be 'fit' Then all the minor hiccups and howlers will melt away in a sea of vanilla.
  • edited July 2010
    MMMMMMMMMM raspberry ripple :)

Think Tikay may need a bib to stop him slopping though ;)
  • edited July 2010

Am I missing something? I've trawled through all the TV channels twice and there is no mention of any ''Ice Cream Channel'' anywhere.

• edited July 2010
    I reckon i could do it eating a donut without licking my lips, rubbing my belly and patting my head at the same time while riding a unicycle
  • edited July 2010
    But how do you keep the ice cream from melting under those hot studio lights? :)
  • edited July 2010
    But how do you keep the ice cream from melting under those hot studio lights? :)
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    LOL you guys!!!

EVERY channel is an Ice cream channel.. and you just EAT the ice cream before this melting shenanigans happens.. If the ice cream should become too soft them you engage fliptop head mode and pour it down ya neck innit!

VINCE... Cherry Garcia is a suitable choice that I feel would get you off the Ice cream starting block. Big Juicy cherries and choc chips in creamy soft double cream ice cream.. Slides down your throat like a hot knife through butter. Mmm Butter!!
  • edited July 2010
    Nice one Lisa!
    Posted by bobcat52
    On reflection maybe I should have said 'N-ice one Lisa!'
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Is being a sky presenter an actual job : On reflection maybe I should have said 'N-ice one Lisa!'
    Posted by bobcat52
    Lol yep Bobcat.. that would have worked. Corny (or Cornetto-y) mind ;)
  • edited July 2010
    Lisa have you ever tried Skinny Cow Ice-Cream?

Its my favourite :)
  • edited July 2010

Lisa have you ever tried  Skinny Cow Ice-Cream? Its my favourite :)
    Posted by MadHorse
     You cheeky horse! LOL
  • edited July 2010
    If the ice-cream melts does that constitute a flop?

SKY RICH - Can we have an Ice-cream clinic section of the forum please? Primarily I want to know if you should eat the chocolate centre of a Feast as you lick the ice-cream or should you save all the chocolate till the end?
  • edited July 2010
    Surely a more qualified person to ask would have been Mr. Whippy?
  • edited July 2010
    I used to like ice cream i'm not so sure now, i'm very confused
     In future LM please feel free to be patronising and dumb it down
       i for one won't be offended, honest !
  • edited July 2010
  • edited July 2010
    Lisa have you ever tried Skinny Cow Ice-Cream? Its my favourite :)
    Posted by MadHorse
    No!! But now I feel like I should try it before I can comment on it.. Have you tried the Fro-yo version of Ben & Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie? MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm!!!!!
  • edited July 2010
    If the ice-cream melts does that constitute a flop? SKY RICH - Can we have an Ice-cream clinic section of the forum please? Primarily I want to know if you should eat the chocolate centre of a Feast as you lick the ice-cream or should you save all the chocolate till the end?
    Posted by SolarCarro

All I know is that when there is FEAST bar anywhere near my mouth it's an immediate All-In.
  • edited July 2010
    LMs ice cream brings all the boys to the yard....