You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live tonight on Sky Poker TV- The Primo with Rich and Ed

edited July 2010 in Poker Chat
Afternoon all!

Well, I've just driven back for 3 and half hours straight from the Sky Poker Tour in Swansea and direct to the studios to prep for tonight's show. Sunday a day of rest? Whoever said that should be shot. Then again, it might have been an important religious leader, in which case, perhaps we better hold off on the shooting on this occasion.

'Any minute now' (i.e.around 7.58pm) I'm hoping to be joined by Ed Giddins...presuming he's still not out on the tiles in Swansea High Street.
And what are we here for...?

THE TEN THOUSAND POUND PRIMO!

For £33 you can test your mettle aganst the very best of the site, have your live play featured on TV and maybe, just maybe, take down a massive cash win.

Already registered to play is our studio guest this evening- Kevin O' Hanlon, better known on SKy Poker as Kohan.

And I have two prizes to give away on the show:

A WSOP T-Shirt (available in small or medium)

and an official pack of WSOP playing cards.

Now, this morning I was awoken at 8am by a massive concert outside my hotel window- thumping dance music, over-enthusiastic PA and a crowd of thousands. It went on all morning and nobody in the hotel had mentioned it the night before...stangely enough.
I wasn't happy.

So- my question to you is...

What is your worst ever hotel experience?

The best ones, (or should that be the worst ones?) will win the prizes.

Good luck in that (and of course in the main event) and keep all the usual email and forum banter coming as Ed and I will be loving the input. We'd especially like to hear from you if you went to the Tour yesterday or would like to pass comment on it.

Cheers!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I once stayed in a hotel in Torquay whilst at a conference - I know, I get to visit all the glamour spots.

One morning we had a fire alarm at about 7am. It was all very shambolic and we ended up in the car park with people in quite interesting attire including one guy in a dressing gown and shower cap.

One of the speakers at the conference was an American who was a big fan of Fawlty Towers (which was set in Torquay but I'm sure you knew that). He kept wandering around the car park telling anyone who would listen that he was convinced that it had all been arranged for his benefit. Not everyone was so amused.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, apart from the obvious ETAP in glasgow, it has to be when i was on a school trip to Athens when i was about 11 years old...

It was a filthy run-down hotel.. about 14 matresses squeezed into a small room.  One of the boys took a bread roll from the breakfast table in the morning, half ate it, and put it in the bin in the bedroom. Two days later when breakfast was served, we looked in the bread basket, and that very same half eaten roll was there.. Talk about recycling! urggggghh, well at least they had cleaned the bedroom that day...

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Live tonight on Sky Poker TV- The Primo with Rich and Ed:
    I once stayed in a hotel in Torquay whilst at a conference - I know, I get to visit all the glamour spots. One morning we had a fire alarm at about 7am. It was all very shambolic and we ended up in the car park with people in quite interesting attire including one guy in a dressing gown and shower cap. One of the speakers at the conference was an American who was a big fan of Fawlty Towers (which was set in Torquay but I'm sure you knew that). He kept wandering around the car park telling anyone who would listen that he was convinced that it had all been arranged for his benefit. Not everyone was so amused.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Cheers Vince- ah, the old hotel fire alarm nightmare. I have my own story about that which I will relay on the show later..
  • edited July 2010
    Well, apart from the obvious ETAP in glasgow, it has to be when i was on a school trip to Athens when i was about 11 years old... It was a filthy run-down hotel.. about 14 matresses squeezed into a small room.  One of the boys took a bread roll from the breakfast table in the morning, half ate it, and put it in the bin in the bedroom. Two days later when breakfast was served, we looked in the bread basket, and that very same half eaten roll was there.. Talk about recycling! urggggghh, well at least they had cleaned the bedroom that day...
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Lol- that is seriously grim. Bet you ate the roll though Greg!
  • edited July 2010

Evening Rich & Ed (if he makes it!)

I think I was at that same hotel as you Rich and after two 'late' nights in Swansea, that wake up call had a lot to answer for. After seeing it was for a worthwhile charity thing though, I soon accepted it even though my 3 1/2 car journey back wasn't great due to tiredness!!.

Just a quick note on the Swansea SPT. A very big well done to Mark (ratboy) who took it down, and my good mate Digger who came runner up.Also congratulations to TommyD and volcano on their FT achievements and to all that cashed and played in the tournament. An excellent couple of days of live poker which I am sure many enjoyed.
    Thanks to ALL the Sky poker team (I think I counted about 20 of you lot down there!) on the organisation and the running of this event.

Hoping to see many of you again @ DTD in September.

Cheers,

Alan
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Live tonight on Sky Poker TV- The Primo with Rich and Ed : Lol- that is seriously grim. Bet you ate the roll though Greg!
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    er no, i didnt....

Just thinking this might be a good time to bring up tikay's pants corridoor moment in Vegas 2009....:) Now that WAS a hotel nightmare!!
  • edited July 2010
    Hi guys!

I was walking down Swansea high street last night and can quite imagine that Ed is still there!!!!!!  I never knew skirts could be quite that short!

My worst experience was a mouldy, stained walled hotel I stayed in whilst in 6th form in Italy.  It was called the 'Hotel Fani' and on one of the neon signs the 'el' from the word 'hotel' was missing (think about it) We all had our photo taken in front of that neon sign! :)
  • edited July 2010
    Well I'm a bit of a snob :) so I do not have many bad hotel experiences, but there is one that springs to mind from a few years ago, which turned mild-mannered, laid-back Mandy into Cruella Deville.....

After a 4 hour delay at Gatwick, I was not best pleased when one of my bags failed to appear on the conveyor-belt thingamebob when arriving in Cyprus. I eventually located it - they had "forgotten" to put it on!!!

So, on arriving at the hotel with my 3 friends in tow, extremely frazzled, tired, thirsty, and hungry, I was not best pleased to hear that I was not allowed to purchase a bottle of water in the huge fridge standing in the reception area because it was "locked at midnight until the morning"!!!!!!

It was nearly 1am, I had not had a drink in the hours since the meal we had received on the plane, it was August in Cyprus and it was blisteringly hot, with no air, and I was close to dying......or so it felt!

After a lengthy 'discussion' with the hotel management (this was a 4-star resort, I hasten to add, although there were no signs of stars 1, 2 and 3 right now!), it was determined that the hotel management did not give a monkeys about the new arrivals' wellbeing.  There were families checking in with us, with small children and babes in arms - it got very heated.

One of the dad's and I decided we would pay a taxi driver to go into town, some 15 minutes drive away, to find a shop - or visitor friendly hotel - who could supply us all with water.  So we did, and took it upon ourselves to deliver bottles to each of the rooms of those who had just arrived.  It ended up costing me about £30 for 2 litres of water. 

By the time the drought issue had been resolved it was now 3.30am and I couldn't have been more tired.  It was a last minute holiday and the 4 of us had only been able to get a one-bedroom apartment, so myself and one other retired to the single sofa bed and guest bed in the lounge area, myself being on the latter. 

I put the sheets on and exhaustedly climbed in, just glad that the day was over.  But as I let out a long sigh of relief, two struts on the bed gave way and my a**e hit the floor.  My friend just stared at me open-mouthed & we both burst out laughing - after the day I'd had, if I hadn't I would've cried.  (Now I must mention, that the size of my bottom was not the issue .......it may not be as small as it once was, but it is by no means large - the bed just wasn't built for anyone over the age of 5!! Honestly!!!!)

I ended up on the mattress on the floor that night, because I could not tolerate another run-in with the hotels poor management team.  I waited until the morning & went back for round 2.  They were very quick to get someone to my room to rectify the problem......only problem was that their solution was just to stick another 2" mattress on top of the other one!!  This is when Cruella reared her ugly head. Needless to say, 10 minutes later we had been moved to one of their "exclusive" 2 bedroom suites (ie. 2 box-rooms, and a separate area for a lumpy sofa, a rickety table & chairs and the odd bug!)

Thank goodness I was only spending the week.
  • edited July 2010
    Evening Rich & Ed (if he makes it!) I think I was at that same hotel as you Rich and after two 'late' nights in Swansea, that wake up call had a lot to answer for. After seeing it was for a worthwhile charity thing though, I soon accepted it even though my 3 1/2 car journey back wasn't great due to tiredness!!. Just a quick note on the Swansea SPT. A very big well done to Mark (ratboy) who took it down, and my good mate Digger who came runner up.Also congratulations to TommyD and volcano on their FT achievements and to all that cashed and played in the tournament. An excellent couple of days of live poker which I am sure many enjoyed. Thanks to ALL the Sky poker team (I think I counted about 20 of you lot down there!) on the organisation and the running of this event. Hoping to see many of you again @ DTD in September. Cheers, Alan
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Excellent- thanks Alan, glad someone else shared my pain this morning. I know it was for charity but which bright spark thought it wuld be a good idea to start it at 8am on a Sunday morning in the heart of the hotel district? Unbelievable. 11am? Ok, fair enough. But 8????

Ok, rant over. Grrr...

Oh no, I'm starting to get like Hartigan...
  • edited July 2010
    Hi guys! I was walking down Swansea high street last night and can quite imagine that Ed is still there!!!!!!  I never knew skirts could be quite that short! My worst experience was a mouldy, stained walled hotel I stayed in whilst in 6th form in Italy.  It was called the 'Hotel Fani' and on one of the neon signs the 'el' from the word 'hotel' was missing (think about it) We all had our photo taken in front of that neon sign! :)
    Posted by phil12uk
    LOL- oh no, I've GOT to read this one out. Now, how am I going to get it past Sky Producer Ling..?
  • edited July 2010
    Well I'm a bit of a snob :) so I do not have many bad hotel experiences, but there is one that springs to mind from a few years ago, which turned mild-mannered, laid-back Mandy into Cruella Deville..... After a 4 hour delay at Gatwick, I was not best pleased when one of my bags failed to appear on the conveyor-belt thingamebob when arriving in Cyprus. I eventually located it - they had "forgotten" to put it on!!! So, on arriving at the hotel with my 3 friends in tow, extremely frazzled, tired, thirsty, and hungry, I was not best pleased to hear that I was not allowed to purchase a bottle of water in the huge fridge standing in the reception area because it was "locked at midnight until the morning"!!!!!! It was nearly 1am, I had not had a drink in the hours since the meal we had received on the plane, it was August in Cyprus and it was blisteringly hot, with no air, and I was close to dying......or so it felt! After a lengthy 'discussion' with the hotel management (this was a 4-star resort, I hasten to add, although there were no signs of stars 1, 2 and 3 right now!), it was determined that the hotel management did not give a monkeys about the new arrivals' wellbeing.  There were families checking in with us, with small children and babes in arms - it got very heated. One of the dad's and I decided we would pay a taxi driver to go into town, some 15 minutes drive away, to find a shop - or visitor friendly hotel - who could supply us all with water.  So we did, and took it upon ourselves to deliver bottles to each of the rooms of those who had just arrived.  It ended up costing me about £30 for 2 litres of water.  By the time the drought issue had been resolved it was now 3.30am and I couldn't have been more tired.  It was a last minute holiday and the 4 of us had only been able to get a one-bedroom apartment, so myself and one other retired to the single sofa bed and guest bed in the lounge area, myself being on the latter.  I put the sheets on and exhaustedly climbed in, just glad that the day was over.  But as I let out a long sigh of relief, two struts on the bed gave way and my a**e hit the floor.  My friend just stared at me open-mouthed & we both burst out laughing - after the day I'd had, if I hadn't I would've cried.  (Now I must mention, that the size of my bottom was not the issue .......it may not be as small as it once was, but it is by no means large - the bed just wasn't built for anyone over the age of 5!! Honestly!!!!) I ended up on the mattress on the floor that night, because I could not tolerate another run-in with the hotels poor management team.  I waited until the morning & went back for round 2.  They were very quick to get someone to my room to rectify the problem......only problem was that their solution was just to stick another 2" mattress on top of the other one!!  This is when Cruella reared her ugly head. Needless to say, 10 minutes later we had been moved to one of their "exclusive" 2 bedroom suites (ie. 2 box-rooms, and a separate area for a lumpy sofa, a rickety table & chairs and the odd bug!) Thank goodness I was only spending the week.
    Posted by Sky_Mandy
    ...and for Part 2 of Mandy's life story, be sure to tune in tomorrow at the same time...
    ;)
  • edited July 2010
    Good luck with summarising Sky_Mandy's post into a TV bitesize chunk.
  • edited July 2010
    Now I must mention, that the size of my bottom [...] may not be as small as it once was
    Posted by Sky_Mandy
    Already done it, Vince. here's the condensed story

;)

NB- there have been some subtle editing at work here...
  • edited July 2010
    Hey, there is a echo in here ;)
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Live tonight on Sky Poker TV- The Primo with Rich and Ed : Already done it, Vince. here's the condensed story ;) NB- there have been some subtle editing at work here...
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Good work.
    You're obviously a braver man than I am.

• edited July 2010
    Nice to see you at the SPT again Rich, and yes I also had the unexpected 8am awakening.

We once booked into B&b above a pub on the west coast of Ireland, and it looked fine, saw the room before we booked and that was fine.  What we didn't realise was that there was a cattle market directly behind the pub (outside our room window), and that between us booking the room and getting back there after a night out, about 300 cows had arrived for the market the next day, and they moo all night and they moo very loudly and their moo's echo even louder around the cattle stalls they were being held in.  I think I managed about half an hour snooze at about 5:30!

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Live tonight on Sky Poker TV- The Primo with Rich and Ed : LOL- oh no, I've GOT to read this one out. Now, how am I going to get it past Sky Producer Ling..?
    Posted by RICHORFORD

Yah..... GL with that one ;-)
  • edited July 2010
    Nice to see you at the SPT again Rich, and yes I also had the unexpected 8am awakening. We once booked into B&b above a pub on the west coast of Ireland, and it looked fine, saw the room before we booked and that was fine.  What we didn't realise was that there was a cattle market directly behind the pub (outside our room window), and that between us booking the room and getting back there after a night out, about 300 cows had arrived for the market the next day, and they moo all night and they moo very loudly and their moo's echo even louder around the cattle stalls they were being held in.  I think I managed about half an hour snooze at about 5:30!
    Posted by SoLack
    maybe our own Cowgomoo has visited there...
  • edited July 2010
    55 minutes to Primo.

Wardrobe have just dug out something very special for me. A lurid pink shirt.

Fire at will....
  • edited July 2010

Hey guys, looking forward to the show tonight.

Just a quick question for Ed,

Having done loads of shows on sky poker since the end of total player, are there any names that stand out to him,particuarly lesser known players, that may be contenders for next years total player? (if there is one)

Thanx, cya in the money! DOHHH

• edited July 2010
    LOL @ Hotels....there must be some classics.

On a Golfing weekend a few years ago in Ireland, I was so mullered before the evening session that I was letting the shower run but fell asleep while I was finishing a pie. All the steam set the smoke alarms off. They went on for so long, that the hotel had to be evacuated at 8-ish on a Saturday Night. Apologies again to staff and guests at "The Prince of Wales" hotel in Athlone. The level of golf was so bad that weekend...I could have used my living room as a driving range.

Might write about the time a room door was booted clean off its hinges in error. (not by me)
  • edited July 2010
    One of the worst hotel experiences i have was staying in  a cheap motel in lake tahoe.  There was a whole in the sink(not the plup hole)  and damp green mold growing over the shower curtain and the bathroom.  the whole room stank tina
  • edited July 2010
    Good evening rich and ed,
    I would like to ask you a poker question.  Ten handed table folds round to the button.  Button raises and small blind pushes.  Should the button give up or call with his 10 3 suited hand?

Dont tell ed  ask his opion

oops that was ed on s sit and go.
  • edited July 2010
    i used to work in a hotel, and i`v got two, the worst has to be an old guy on his own, he was so incontinant that we spoke to the coach driver gave his money back and sent him home, the other we had a load scotish footballers stay, they set fire extinquishers and fire alarms off and one even grabbed my man jules thinking it was funny all i can say i was not happy ( won`t say what i did to him )
  • edited July 2010
    got one more i was a nite porter and had this female stayin, been married to her 12yrs now arghhhhhhhh ?
  • edited July 2010
    Hahaha ive think ive just seen one of the funniest things on live tv - when they were talking about hotel fani.

well done rich holding that laugh back.
  • edited July 2010
    Couldn't get anything going tonight! I must have misread my cards on the 7 9 hand ;) Gl to kohan!
  • edited July 2010

thanks for showing hand boys could not workout why i was being called all the time

dai

• edited July 2010
    why is it every time i get i run into aces wen is my luck guna change boys nev 212
  • edited July 2010
    I once visited a hotel and on going to get breakfast in the morning I was horrified to find the milk for the cereal was mildly warm.

Never again, NEVER.