You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Friday 8pm open - REBUY!!!

edited July 2010 in Poker Chat
Now the main events have fallen victim to the dreaded rebuy + rake building phenomenon, what next? rebuy+added rakes PRIMO? rebuy+added rakes Deepstacks? Rebuys with added rakes are taking over the asylum, we're on the slippery slope to multi rake city! I hope it does bad, then maybe it will revert back to once out, stay out, and don't rejoin the party!!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Yeah gettin a pain in the A*** now eh mate.
  • edited July 2010
    Also cant wait till some smartypants comes on this thread saying '' well if you dont like em dont play em'' Thats the way to go eh? boycott the main event ?????
  • edited July 2010
    Its been a rebuy for 2 or 3 weeks now loony, i wont play it but it seems to be doing ok, cant remember how many played it but its been 200+
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Friday 8pm open - REBUY!!!:
    Its been a rebuy for 2 or 3 weeks now loony, i wont play it but it seems to be doing ok, cant remember how many played it but its been 200+
    Posted by 35suited
    Doin ok aint the same as doin gr8 is it now? You aint playin it nor am i so thats at least 2 less already yeah?
  • edited July 2010
    Also cant wait till some smartypants comes on this thread saying '' well if you dont like em dont play em'' Thats the way to go eh? boycott the main event ?????
    Posted by dav1964
    if you dont like them, dont play them!
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Friday 8pm open - REBUY!!! : if you dont like them, dont play them!
    Posted by loonytoons
    Right thats it im not playin em now ;o)
  • edited July 2010

Rebuys are good for nits.

I have won rebuy mtts before without needing to rebuy or addon. You Just have to get lucky early when your big hands hold vs the nutters. Then stay tight, and wait until after the add-on period and then start to play proper poker and destroy the rebuy agrodonks that remain...

I dont mind rebuys... Sorry! But I do agree it would be a shame if all the main events turn into rebuys, we need variety! Also agree that extra rake should not apply to rebuys. Although if you get it in with 3 high vs aces and lose, you deserve to pay extra imo:)

• edited July 2010
    Rebuys are good for nits. I have won rebuy mtts before without needing to rebuy or addon. You Just have to get lucky early when your big hands hold vs the nutters. Then stay tight, and wait until after the add-on period and then start to play proper poker and destroy the rebuy agrodonks that remain... I dont mind rebuys... Sorry! But I do agree it would be a shame if all the main events turn into rebuys, we need variety! Also agree that extra rake should not apply to rebuys. Although if you get it in with 3 high vs aces and lose, you deserve to pay extra imo:)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    I too like rebuys, just not that darn rake!!
  • edited July 2010
    I think having one of the main events as a rebuy is reasonable, but no more.
  • edited July 2010

btw, it will only be a matter of time before they figure out how to combine a Bounty Hunter and a rebuy:) lol

with extra rake obv!

• edited July 2010
    This site is trying to cater for everybody, not just the select few. Some people like rebuys, some don't. Most tournament's are not rebuys, so there shouldn't be a problem. 

Before you ask , NO i don't like rebuys, just think those who do should be given the chance to play them.
  • edited July 2010
    This site is trying to cater for everybody, not just the select few. Some people like rebuys, some don't. Most tournament's are not rebuys, so there shouldn't be a problem.  Before you ask , NO i don't like rebuys, just think those who do should be given the chance to play them.
    Posted by chirker
    Are you missin something here m8 they are taking over the world aaaaggghhhhhh
  • edited July 2010
    This site is trying to cater for everybody, not just the select few. Some people like rebuys, some don't. Most tournament's are not rebuys, so there shouldn't be a problem.  Before you ask , NO i don't like rebuys, just think those who do should be given the chance to play them.
    Posted by chirker
    i disagree,its more a case of trying to make more money....which makes sense,its the fact they have replaced successful,popular games with rebuys and tourny's i dont like...the main event always had 600/700 runners and the numbers have dropped,i also dont like the fact that no sky rep has commented on the rebuy rake(unless ive missed it?) if they say its a way of making more money i dont mind players can then make up their mind on that basis,but i find the silence insulting to be honest.......
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Friday 8pm open - REBUY!!! : i disagree,its more a case of trying to make more money....which makes sense,its the fact they have replaced successful,popular games with rebuys and tourny's i dont like...the main event always had 600/700 runners and the numbers have dropped,i also dont like the fact that no sky rep has commented on the rebuy rake(unless ive missed it?) if they say its a way of making more money i dont mind players can then make up their mind on that basis,but i find the silence insulting to be honest.......
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Are you saying they should only replace unpopular, unsuccessful games with rebuys. Now that would be catering for the players who dont like rebuys. 80% of the main tournaments are not rebuys, surely  one a week to cater for those who do like them isn't too much too ask. As for the rebuy rake, i agree with you, but i don't think they realy need to comment, as we all know it's designed to make them more money, but in the long run they will probably lose more than they gain. 
  • edited July 2010

Why all this anti-rebuy feeling? The site is trying out ''new'' things and it can't be to everyone's taste. I agree the rake on rebuys is wrong though. As for the main events being rebuys, well they are on most other sites. Special events tend to be freezeouts because the entry fee is so high, but on other sites the biggest prizepools each day tend to be rebuys. The site numbers are down at the moment as they are everywhere at this time of the year. Until this site grows it can't offer the choice you can get on bigger sites where there are rebuys and freezeouts galore 24/7.

It's right for the site to try other tournament structures in order to attract more customers, but charging a rake on each rebuy is probably not the way to achieve growth. I play both rebuys and freezeouts and it usually depends on my mood as to which I play........ choice is good.

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Friday 8pm open - REBUY!!! : Are you saying they should only replace unpopular, unsuccessful games with rebuys. Now that would be catering for the players who dont like rebuys. 80% of the main tournaments are not rebuys, surely  one a week to cater for those who do like them isn't too much too ask. As for the rebuy rake, i agree with you, but i don't think they realy need to comment, as we all know it's designed to make them more money, but in the long run they will probably lose more than they gain. 
    Posted by chirker
    Look i understand what you mean but would we not all prefer an (as well as) and not an (instead of) main event for re-buys? dav
  • edited July 2010
    I bet Sky are quite content with how their rebuys are going in general and if players continue to support them then their impact on the site will continue to grow. But thankfully with excellent freezeouts like ToT available at the three by in levels all is far from lost.

I just hope 'late reg' isn't the next money earner off the blocks - a small micro tourney I often play "elsewhere" now allows entrants to join a full 40 minutes after the start which when you think about it is just a thinly disguised rebuy tourney.

• edited July 2010
    I bet Sky are quite content with how their rebuys are going in general and if players continue to support them then their impact on the site will continue to grow. But thankfully with excellent freezeouts like ToT available at the three by in levels all is far from lost. I just hope 'late reg' isn't the next money earner off the blocks - a small micro tourney I often play "elsewhere" now allows entrants to join a full 40 minutes after the start which when you think about it is just a thinly disguised rebuy tourney.  
    Posted by Dud_Butini
    One very big site has late reg for virtually all it's tournaments, and that runs for a full hour. I usually join towards the end of this period when most of the all-in donks have departed.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Friday 8pm open - REBUY!!! : Look i understand what you mean but would we not all prefer an (as well as) and not an (instead of) main event for re-buys? dav
    Posted by dav1964
    Probably, but i can't see sky running two main tournaments in one evening. But it would solve all of the current arguments.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Friday 8pm open - REBUY!!! : One very big site has late reg for virtually all it's tournaments, and that runs for a full hour. I usually join towards the end of this period when most of the all-in donks have departed.
    Posted by elsadog
    Fair point.

I must admit I'm still playing these tourneys - they're still good fun for a low buy-in - not quite worked my tactics out yet; so far I set a max average chip stack in mind and register when this figure is reached, usually after about 20 mins or so. The field at the start is c100 and rises to c200 by the end of the late reg period.

As with rebuys if Sky could be relied upon just to add one or two of these to the schedule then the old saying "variety is the spice of life" would apply.

However, if their slightly heavy handed intro of re-buys is anything to go by then there'd be little hope of that......as  appears to be the case with the big site your refering to elsa.
  • edited July 2010
    Some of the most popular tournaments are the 90 and 180 seat $3 buy-ins. No rebuys, no add ons, no late entry. Low buy-in without the mega field and a nice return for the top 10 finishers. I play a slightly more expensive version of the same thing and they are usually all-in free until the end game when anything goes.

I think that the numbers on here limit the variety that Sky can put on. I'm sure they would love to have a full range ofgames but until the numbers grow it's just not viable I suppose.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Friday 8pm open - REBUY!!! : Are you saying they should only replace unpopular, unsuccessful games with rebuys. Now that would be catering for the players who dont like rebuys. 80% of the main tournaments are not rebuys, surely  one a week to cater for those who do like them isn't too much too ask. As for the rebuy rake, i agree with you, but i don't think they realy need to comment, as we all know it's designed to make them more money, but in the long run they will probably lose more than they gain. 
    Posted by chirker
    errr...no i dont think i suggested that at all..i actually said that they should not take away a popular tourny and replace it with a rebuy one......if they want to put a rebuy on put it up as a new tourny and let it stand or fall by the numbers that play it,

also this is not an anti rebuy rant elsa...more an anti rake on rebuy/replacement rant :) 
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Friday 8pm open - REBUY!!! : errr...no i dont think i suggested that at all..i actually said that they should not take away a popular tourny and replace it with a rebuy one......if they want to put a rebuy on put it up as a new tourny and let it stand or fall by the numbers that play it, also this is not an anti rebuy rant elsa...more an anti rake on rebuy/replacement rant :) 
    Posted by DAVEYZZ

I didn't think it was a rant Davey. But they are very popular on most other sites and I don't think they have really been given a chance on Sky yet. Everyone's opinion is valid m8. I do agree with you on the rebuy rake.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Friday 8pm open - REBUY!!! : errr...no i dont think i suggested that at all..i actually said that they should not take away a popular tourny and replace it with a rebuy one......if they want to put a rebuy on put it up as a new tourny and let it stand or fall by the numbers that play it, also this is not an anti rebuy rant elsa...more an anti rake on rebuy/replacement rant :) 
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    exactly.  this has been stated on the forum many times too.  all requests to reinstate the freezeout at 9pm and velocity at 10pm, for example, have not been answered.   it seems as though the intention is not to reverse out of this cul-de-sac but to park the idea until it becomes justifiably popular.  in the meantime....

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Friday 8pm open - REBUY!!!:
    Now the main events have fallen victim to the dreaded rebuy + rake building phenomenon, what next? rebuy+added rakes PRIMO? rebuy+added rakes Deepstacks? Rebuys with added rakes are taking over the asylum, we're on the slippery slope to multi rake city! I hope it does bad, then maybe it will revert back to once out, stay out, and don't rejoin the party!!
    Posted by loonytoons
    I agree, the rebuys recently introduced seem to be just revenue raisers and are not for the punters. Also, they are very expensive being equal to the original buy-in. One can soon run up a big bill with a couple of rebuys and the add on making 3 times the original buy-in. On other sites the rebuy is a small fraction of the buy-in. Rebuys are OK but should be made to be better value for the player. Phrank.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Friday 8pm open - REBUY!!! : I agree, the rebuys recently introduced seem to be just revenue raisers and are not for the punters. Also, they are very expensive being equal to the original buy-in. One can soon run up a big bill with a couple of rebuys and the add on making 3 times the original buy-in. On other sites the rebuy is a small fraction of the buy-in. Rebuys are OK but should be made to be better value for the player. Phrank.
    Posted by Phrank

Errrr .......... hang on. I need to read that again.
  • edited July 2010
    Yep I was right............ it's wrong.

Rebuys are revenue raisers for the punter - they increase the prizepool. The argument is whether rake should be charged.

On other sites the rebuy isn't a fraction of the buy-in it's identical (usually minus the rake). i.e. £10 + £1 = £11 with rebuys and add-ons at £10 each.

Of course it's going to cost more IF you decide to rebuy or add-on. But you do have that choice it's not forced on you.
  • edited July 2010
    How come you have to lose all your chips before being allowed to rebuy?

I'm sure a couple of weeks ago you could rebuy once you were under 2000 chips. As it is I got knocked down to 100 chips so had to go all-in and actually hope to lose so that I could get a decent stack again.

What gives?
  • edited July 2010
    How come you have to lose all your chips before being allowed to rebuy? I'm sure a couple of weeks ago you could rebuy once you were under 2000 chips. As it is I got knocked down to 100 chips so had to go all-in and actually hope to lose so that I could get a decent stack again. What gives?
    Posted by DrMarbles
    You don't, Mr T, that must be a glitch.

I paid 2 blinds at the very start of the Tourney, then took a Rebuy, & it processed normally.

I'm not sure, at this stage, how I can escalate the issue though, as some sort of trace would be needed.

Is it working normally for you now?
  • edited July 2010
    How come you have to lose all your chips before being allowed to rebuy? I'm sure a couple of weeks ago you could rebuy once you were under 2000 chips. As it is I got knocked down to 100 chips so had to go all-in and actually hope to lose so that I could get a decent stack again. What gives?
    Posted by DrMarbles
    Was it one of the freeroll rebuys? I know they have been having problems with these recently.