You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The "THAT Show" Blog Feedback Thread.

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat

Well.....here is the 1st comment......your link doesn't errrr, link.

Comments

• edited August 2010

Please Post your comments & Feedback from the "THAT Show" Blog on this thread.

Thanks.

The Blog is HERE
  • edited August 2010
    Mission control 'we have a problem'
  • edited August 2010

Sorry.....but your link back seems not to work either (from blog to thread)

Easy question to start with then.......what does USP stand for?

• edited August 2010
    Its on the community home page under "Latest Blogs", just next to the chilled cabinet.
  • edited August 2010
    Reading it makes sense, all very clear and geared towards SkyPoker and 865 running good.
  • edited August 2010

Whoops.

Just testing......

Hopefully, both work now.

It was due to one of these things.....

1) I  posted both Links before either the Blog or the Thread had been published, as they needed to go live at the same time.

2) It was the funny-bone logic - to divert attention from the subject.

3) I messed up.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: The "THAT Show" Blog Feedback Thread.:
    Sorry.....but your link back seems not to work either (from blog to thread) Easy question to start with then.......what does USP stand for?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Thanks Alan.

USP = "Unique Selling Point"

• edited August 2010
    I think it's great that the live shows on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday will continue, these are the best nights of the week for me. Also the pre-recorded schedule looks even better now with 3 final tables from the flagship tournaments being filmed, I am looking forward to these and they will give everyone extra incentive to reach the final table.

Further, I think I will get used to the return to 2D graphics with extra things promised for the future shows.

Finally, I am really looking forward to seeing these new USPs when they come out.

Good work Sky and thanks for the update Tikay.

JC
  • edited August 2010
    Good to hear traffic on the site is on the up.  As for the tv channel.  I dont have a sky subscription and rarely watch it.  I do put on master cash on my pc tho.  Thats a great show along with totp.  Instead of repeats all the time, why cant you show continuous cash games from tv marked tables, in realtime, with slight delay of course.  You wont need any presenters or analysts , just show it.  Far more interesting thaan repeats imo.

I know its been mentioned before, but it would be great if you could have like a live sit n go that ppl qualified for online.  Hole cams and everything. Thats a couple of shows worth...
  • edited August 2010
    Hi tikay

Sky Poker, Sky team, brill, fantastic, we love you all... Just a coton pickin minute, 2D, does that mean when we got LM presenting, we are going to have to start looking at the cards now?, sigh, just sigh ;)

Seriously, thanks for the blog tikay, onward and upward, gooooooooooooooo Sky Poker.
  • edited August 2010
    If you're taking a dimension away from the cards please don't go adding it to the presenters, I don't want Orford climbing out of the screen onto my lounge carpet "The Grudge" style.

On second thought if Lisa-Marie... no, never mind.

But seriously, my main issue with 2D over 3D is that the hand analysis seems terribly clinical and loses all entertainment factor.  There really is a huge perceived difference to me between seeing someone analyzing the hands and hearing someone talk about a hand.  I have tried to watch many instructional poker videos and it's hard enough to keep focussed for 30 minutes, let alone hours.

I'm sure the presenters and analysts will bring their own unique style to this "cut to table" analysis.  I guess time will tell if it goes down well with the viewers.

• edited August 2010
    Hi Tony,

As i have said on other threads, I thought the Dealers Choice was a good programme and i think it does warrant a place in the schedule.
    If your base is moving north, will the current rota of presenters and analysts(how are great btw), still going to be on our screens, or have i jumped the gun again?

col
  • edited August 2010
    Hi Tony, As i have said on other threads, I thought the Dealers Choice was a good programme and i think it does warrant a place in the schedule. If your base is moving north, will the current rota of presenters and analysts(how are great btw), still going to be on our screens, or have i jumped the gun again? col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Channel 865 has no plans to move North - it's new Studio will be in Osterley, Middlesex, on the Great West Road, about 5 miles from our current Studio, which is in Feltham, near Heathrow.

"Dealers Choice" - well we will let everyone know if & when it re-appears. They plan to use August to test a few things, maybe make a few Pilot Shows, &, one hopes, Dealers Choice may then get onto the TV Schedule. 
  • edited August 2010
    Hasn't bskyb just announced huge, and record, profits? Surely they can afford to keep the current studio if it is such a valuable resource to their sky gaming subsidiary. Somebody needs to have a chat with James Murdoch lol.
  • edited August 2010

Tikay, Claire,Mandy & the suits,

As business executives learn, sooner or later, people don't like radical change, so last Sunday at 8.00pm when we all got ready to put our feet into our "comfortable warm and nice old pair of slippers " AKA SKY865 Primo Live; the shock of not been greeted by our old friends in their familiar 3D surroundings, not seeing live hands, and being fed unrecognisable features and chat, was too much to take in one go; resulting in the torrent of comments.

The beauty of this community is the fact that we can give both bad & good comments, because  we've become friends with Sky Poker and each other over the past few years; it's only in this sort of environment you would feel happy & relaxed enough to be truthful in what you  post.

It's good to know you (and hopefully the suits) have recognised the issues and the mostly constructive comments you've had will be played into what 'you' do next. You do so many things right, and I'm sure you will in the future, and if not there will be three or four hundred people happy to tell you what they think.

Tony, Max Clifford will be proud of your opening comments, let's hope the suits don't let you down.

Cheers

Dave

• edited August 2010
    I have to agree with Machka on the 3D vs 2D scenario.But i'll wait until I've watched Sundays show
    before I condemn/approve it.
  • edited August 2010
    How far is Osterley from the old Hoover Factory?  Surely worth a visit for its splendour if not too far, although sadly now a Tesco store.
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks for the information Tikay - great news that Sky Poker is continuing to grow and flourish. 

I think the main gripe for a lot of the 'original' players is that the TV channel has changed so much over the years. I understand what you say about 'not standing still' but from a daily regular tournament being shown on the TV at the start to now only Thursdays and Sundays to watch a tournament it does not have the same appeal.  Add into the equation that Thursday's are generally Bounty Hunters which for all the good will in the world does not promote some of the finer qualities of poker (ie making a decent laydown and getting a better spot rather than shoving all in  in the hope of gaining a bounty) it does look disappointing!  

Online as well, the emphasis for tournies tends to be bounty hunters, rebuys and satelittes - all of which are limiting the choice for those players with a little larger bankroll who want a decent tournament with a decentish prize (something a little larger to ToT).  I know that these will need players to play in, but how are they going to be attracted to play on the site with less TV emphasis on these type of tournaments?

ABSOLUTELY ALL of the presenting team are great and I hope they will not fall by the wayside anytime soon and that the on screen chemistry is not lost with the new formats.  I remember being a guest in the studio a couple of years ago and watching in awe at how the 3D images differ so greatly from the studio to on the screen.  It gave Sky Poker that 'extra something' to other online poker TV shows (including the old PNL which I used to watch avidly before).  

I have been, and will continue to be, a Sky Poker regular - both on the tables and on the forum - and only want to see it succeed.  I just hope that the balance can be maintained online and on TV to keep attracting and retaining new and existing customers.

Phil

• edited August 2010
    Ok, my first post on this whole topic (what a week to take a holiday).

I watched the repeat last night of 'Dealers Choice.'  I've got to say I enjoyed the show thoroughly.  Obviously this was in a more 'magazine' format but it appealed to me.  I can totally understand those who have stated they preferred the Primo show, this is all down to personal preferences (or Players Choice, geddit!).

2D v 3D

I'm going to stick my bottom on the chopping block, I prefer the 2D format.  I love the interaction between presenter and analyst, I find this thoroughly entertaining.  However on occasion I can get a little miffed when this 'crashes' into the hand and before we know it the clickers gone half-way or all the way through the hand without the play being examined at all.  DP and Tikay worked the balance perfectly in Dealers Choice IMO, very good interaction and your usual tangents between the hands but having it as a 2D screen focused everyone on the hand in play when it started and helped deliver detailed and interesting analysis.  The 2D also makes me think back to the 'Poker Night Live' days on another place which I still look back on fondly.

Change

Change happens.  The Roman Empire lived by the motto 'expand or die.'  Sheryl Crow said 'A Change will do you good.'  All of our favourite shows will develop and change over time.  This has to happen before shows go stale and stagnant.  However what we are very lucky enough to have here is a site and 'powers that be' who I genuinely believe listen to our feedback and care about our opinions.  If you want to try and find another pokersite that will do anything close to this please do, but I've been around a long time and kicked the cards over in most virtual gin joints, I've never found one.  We should be constructive, give our opinions in a professional and respectful way.  Our voices are being heard.

So back to the tables, see you at the felt all.  Peace.
  • edited August 2010

well written tikay.

• edited August 2010
    Can we please get Series Link on all shows?  It's a guaranteed way to make sure people who want to watch the shows don't miss them!
  • edited August 2010

Everything must evolve - including 865 - so GL with the changes.  (OK - that's not quite true.  It's clear from our photo's that neither TK nor myself have changed much in the last 230,000,000 years - but everything else must evolve!)

On a serious note - I had a real problem with the 2D display on Sunday and would like to offer some solutions.

The problem is that both the names nd the bet amounts are displayed smaller than they used to be in the "3D" display and I simply could not read them so could not follow the programme.

It's not that I need new glasses; it's because I have to sit farther back from the TV if I'm also playing ... in order to make room for a couple of poker screens.  I tried watching it on-line but again the text is much less readable than the old 3D format because the player frame is not adjustable.

Solutions:

1.  The easiest solution is simply to zoom in further so that the action fills the whole screen rather than be surrounded by a large dead area of blue.  No tech time required.

2.  Better would be to transmit with a larger font for names and bets.  There is plenty of room because we don't really need these ***** avatars - which is why you ditched them last year in the 3D display.  This should take only a few tech hours - mainly for testing before release.

3.  For watching on-line, please use a user-adjustable frame your player.  (Indeed, this would also be great for your tables though I guess that would need to wait for the download version!!!)  This option woul probably require a few days of tech time.

4.  Obviously, in the long term it would be great to return to the 3D display because this really added interest to the programming, as it would to any new programmes which might emerge.

Please do something as on Sunday I actually stopped playing in order to watch the show - not an optimal solution!!!!

• edited August 2010
    Metaraptor, although the screen is not adjustable in I.E. it is in Opera,don't know about other browsers,perhaps time for a browser change.
  • edited August 2010
    Metaraptor, although the screen is not adjustable in I.E. it is in Opera,don't know about other browsers,perhaps time for a browser change.
    Posted by -Dino66-
    Thanks fellow reptillian - great suggestion.
  • edited August 2010
    My views on this:

The 2d/3d doesn't bother me when it comes to graphics, but I think a lot will be lost with the presenter/analyst 'in hand' reactions to how the hand was player/miracle rivers etc.

I think that we need more TV time to in-play tournies.  The Primo is the best show of the week IMO.  I am mainly a cash player and like Master Cash a lot, but you do see the same players week in week out just hogging the TV time meaning that the 'casual' player who is channel hopping at 9.15 has little chance to be featured.  In a 500 runner MTT Mr Joe Bloggs has just as much chance of being on the air as anyone else.

TK you go on about the USP.  One of the major reasons why the site has grown was that it had a very simple and easy to remember selling point.  9pm....big guaranteee tournie...with live in play TV coverage.  While I understand that it is not financially viable to do this 7/days a week but I think that Friday night should definatly be added to the live TV format.

If you are advertising the Primo, show just the Primo.  Don't dip out of it for an hour to show a 500 BH.

Less of the brainless ad breaks.  Who cares about a load of poker journos talking about Chris Ferguson when its been repeated 50 times/week for 2 years.  And update the infomercials which go on about tournies that you no longer offer.  Having TK, who loves a super deep stack slow structure and advertises them on the forum/facebook/the tv channel on a daily basis, 'advertise' a RUSSIAN ROULETTE is frankly embassing.  Put that VT in the recylce bin now

More James Hartigan in analyst duties.

As the action is now 2d some Omaha action.

EDIT YES THAT IS AWFUL SPELLING but i aint going thru it again soyou'll just have to deal with it merenovice :)
  • edited August 2010

Thanks for the update Tikay..

I think mine will mirror a lot of other peoples posts on here. The main thing that attracted me to Sky was the main tourney being shown on the TV each night, the chance to have your hand shown and the interaction between anaylst/presenter/guests.

I look fowrard to the changes and will continue to be a Sky regular :-)
  • edited August 2010
    This is what I posted on another threat, however, after reading Tikays thoughts on not standing still I hope improoved wrong.

I agree with most of the posts on here, the only reason I joined Sky Poker over any other site was because of the live tournaments shown on TV, and in particualr the 3D studio set up. This is one of the big reasons for watching and joining Sky Poker in the first place. I also enjoy the presenting of Rich Orford and Tikey together (great chemistry) and also LML with anyone. I think Sky are lucky to have her, she is a great presenter and is not just a pretty face, she knows her stuff too, as well as being ammusing with her on screen banter.

In my opinion to lose lots of live tournaments in favour of re runs and repeats, and to lose the unique 3D imaging and how that works with the presenters will be a huge step back for Sky. I understand that the cost might be high for the 3D studio, but how many people will not sign up or even leave Sky Poker because it will just become one of many similar Poker formats.

Keep things the way they are, 3D screen, on screen presenter chemistry and the live tournaments are what sets Sky Poker apart from the rest.
  • edited August 2010
    greetings and salutations.

Well written and explained Tikay. Thank you. i do have my own view and hopefully i can put this foreward almost as well as yourself (or not).

The'Dealers choice' show was ok as a magazine type show,but in my opinion should never replace one of the few live tournament shows; we see too little of those anyway!  If Sky were to add this to another night, even as a replacement for the Club, i believe it would be a very good and welcome addition.

Personaly, i much prefer the 3D version to the 2D - this may be because it is all i have seen, Imo the fact that we can see not only the cards but the presenters/analysts reactions make for a vastly more enjoyable show, than just having a voice over to a screen that doesn't show anywhere enough detail. As others have said it was the 3Dversion that originaly drew me to the show and is what seperates a 'good' show into a 'brilliant' show.

There can be no argument that the presenters and analysts are anything other than brilliant (even that Orford chap)!! It would be nice if we could see them more often in a live environment and maybe that will happen in the future; i hope so anyway.

I quite agree that the breaks are getting a 'touch' tedious....well OK seriously tedious!! A change would do wonders for the sanity of the viewers!

Many thanks
    Laurie (lozgo)
  • edited August 2010
    EDIT YES THAT IS AWFUL SPELLING but i aint going thru it again soyou'll just have to deal with it merenovice :)
    Posted by scotty77
    lol
  • edited August 2010
    Are Lisa Marie and Sarah going to be hidden behind a desk ? what a shame. Obviously for Tikay the taller the desk and shorter the chair the better.