You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT Hand - Advice / Opinions Needed Please

Comments

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: MTT Hand - Advice / Opinions Needed Please:
    It depends what I thought he had obviously - but I prefer a raise, im 99,9% sure im behind against any decent player, so a call wud be for information, and on the off-chance that he might just be a complete donk. Im not sure if i'd ever find myself in such a grim situation, lol - and I don't think I wud ever not be sure about wether I had the best hand here or not. I wud have it in my mind that either  a)  I believe I had the best hand - in that case I wud call, but Id be sure I was ahead, not 95% sure I was behind. This wud be the least likely read. - or b)  I was behind, and could I win the pot with a bluff..... .......Unless villain has a history of leading weak to induce, or he had seen me exploit weakness previously on the table then.... I don't think I would ever call, but nor wud I fold -  I might raise 40k and get him off his hand. This hand is abit different, as it's such a miniscule decision (assuming there is still plenty of play left) its probably 1/2 big blinds, it's not gonna define my tournament if I lost it -   Also if we are still deep stacked, I don't mind making an information call to use to my advantage further down the line. (altho no doubt i'd get moved to another table v next hand, fml) He's not value betting an ace, if he is, he's doing it very poorly. (hopefully id have some reads here) He's definitely not value betting the jack. I would put him on a hand including the 'x' - or on a pathetic steal attempt himself, and try to blast him out of the pot, with a raise (if there is room) or an overbet all in. Its a confusing river bet, I dnt like calling, coz he cud be bluffing with a better hand than I have, the raise has more merit here imo. Gotta go ftw!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol - you obviously don't remember that particular scenario, JJ.

Nice to see you approaching MTT strategy with a more "open" mindset than a year ago!!!

• edited August 2010

He can be bluffing with better hands than I have, he clearly doesnt want to check and face a raise from me - so he's tried to take my move away, done a really bad job of it, and if anything, encourage me to do exactly what he doesn't want me to do.

If I think he is bluffing, a raise should get through 100% of the time, unless we are deep enough for him to believe he still has fold equity, has me pegged on king high, and has the balls to call or re-shove all in on an insane bluff, in that case, vwp to him.

I wud feel sick if I made the call with king high for 3k into 59k and he showed me pocket 2's - one thing making the read, another thing acting on it, the latter being the easy bit.

Just raise, get him to fold, and muck the hand - simplez.

I have a hand from a long while ago, it's cash, but is similar to this hypothetical scenario - see if I can find it.

* Edit - lol! James, half way thru my initil reply, when I went back to re-read the question, It clicked! haha - made me laugh - and I admit it did make me alter my reply a tad to consider a call. lol busted, nice work.
    I was always gonna say raise tho.

• edited August 2010
    Im sure u will agree here, the villain should be folding his hand on the turn - he has no fold equity.

But when he leads out, I know he has no hand - but I prefer the raise to the call - as it shud fold out hands such as 22/33 which he wud also be bluffing with.

V different to the other hand, its even better when your opponent convinces himself his King high cud be good, it;s why Im convinced that raising people who you believe to be bluffing is better than calling them.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    takethesta Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £325.63
    cottlad Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £136.12
      Your hole cards
    • A

ODDJOB Call  £1.00 £2.50 £100.89
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  £4.00 £6.50 £117.65
    takethesta Call  £3.50 £10.00 £322.13
    cottlad Fold     
    ODDJOB Call  £3.00 £13.00 £97.89
    Flop

takethesta Check     
    ODDJOB Bet  £4.00 £17.00 £93.89
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  £13.00 £30.00 £104.65
    takethesta Fold     
    ODDJOB Call  £9.00 £39.00 £84.89
    Turn

• Q

ODDJOB Bet  £20.00 £59.00 £64.89
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  £54.00 £113.00 £50.65
    ODDJOB All-in  £64.89 £177.89 £0.00
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £30.89 £208.78 £19.76
    ODDJOB Show
    • K

DOHHHHHHH Show
    • A

River

• A

DOHHHHHHH Win Pair of Aces £206.98  £226.74
  • edited August 2010
    looking at all the info available and the stage of the tourney, I see the guy as having a premium pair or ak at worst,you asked the question and got the info and folded correctly,any other move and you are just gambling with a coinflip at best  I think you are behind here. good fold.
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah when the guy 4bet and left himself like 980 I was kinda just reffering to that as a shove.

Obv i'm neva gonna call, and pass when I miss. By 3bet - call shove, I just meant put him in for his last 980
  • edited August 2010
    I personally would fold AK in this spot in an mtt as slow as this.  

His range has been narrowed significantly by reraising you and the move is still not vital for him to make at this blind level.  He may be getting lary with AQ but even so, I'd much prefer to sit and wait in a long structured mtt and commit to AK later on when the blinds are really biting. 
  • edited August 2010
    I personally would fold AK in this spot in an mtt as slow as this.   His range has been narrowed significantly by reraising you and the move is still not vital for him to make at this blind level.  He may be getting lary with AQ but even so, I'd much prefer to sit and wait in a long structured mtt and commit to AK later on when the blinds are really biting. 
    Posted by phil12uk
    so does that mean you would just flat pre, or would you still 3bet?
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: MTT Hand - Advice / Opinions Needed Please : so does that mean you would just flat pre, or would you still 3bet?
    Posted by SHANXTA
    As played I would play it exactly as you did and fold to his re-reraise.  

If you flatted pre, how would you then find out if ur hand is good without committing more chips than you have in this scenario?  By flatting, you are simply passing the problem down to a later street.  Your move has forced villain to show his potential hand strength and given you every answer needed to fold and move on.  
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: MTT Hand - Advice / Opinions Needed Please : As played I would play it exactly as you did and fold to his re-reraise.   If you flatted pre, how would you then find out if ur hand is good without committing more chips than you have in this scenario?  By flatting, you are simply passing the problem down to a later street.  Your move has forced villain to show his potential hand strength and given you every answer needed to fold and move on.  
    Posted by phil12uk
    ok thanks Phil
  • edited August 2010
    One additional observation about raise sizing...

I agree with yb that a smaller three-bet would have been more effective.  Something in the region of 1,025 still gets the villain to fold his weakish open-raising hands and makes it easier for you to fold AK to a shove (if you're that way inclined).

With his stack, he shouldn't be flatting a raise of that size, but, if he does, you're first to speak on the flop and can put him to the test!

• edited August 2010
    One additional observation about raise sizing... I agree with yb that a smaller three-bet would have been more effective.  Something in the region of 1,025 still gets the villain to fold his weakish open-raising hands and makes it easier for you to fold AK to a shove (if you're that way inclined). With his stack, he shouldn't be flatting a raise of that size, but, if he does, you're first to speak on the flop and can put him to the test!
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    So i'm pretty much min-raising him? Surely he calls with any2? And i'm effectively pot building with ace high OOP
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: MTT Hand - Advice / Opinions Needed Please : So i'm pretty much min-raising him? Surely he calls with any2? And i'm effectively pot building with ace high OOP
    Posted by SHANXTA
    Maybe this is the crucial point, and if he only flats, you can take away AA/KK from his range.......(if he is abc, as ur OP suggested)

Its not gonna be easy playing a flop OOP in this standard of tournament.....

But I'm sure you would back yourself to do this, and feel more comfortable doing so than you would calling off your tourny pre with AK.
  • edited August 2010
    Nice opinions imo you either gamble or fold,i fold.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: MTT Hand - Advice / Opinions Needed Please : So i'm pretty much min-raising him? Surely he calls with any2? And i'm effectively pot building with ace high OOP
    Posted by SHANXTA
    No, he shouldn't be calling with any two, because of his stack size.  In the late stages of a tournament, the 2.2x raise is effective, because players CAN'T call for value with any two.  Why?  Because they're not deep enough to make speculative calls and look at flops.  Chip conservation is key!

A three-bet of that size gives your opponent a simple decision - shove or fold.  If he flats, then he's nowhere near as solid as you think he is!  And yes, you'd be OOP on the flop, but having the betting lead compensates for that.  You can shove a variety of flops and put him to a difficult decision for his tournament life.

• edited August 2010
    Final point from me: however good the structure of this tournament is, neither of you is THAT deep.

At the start of the hand, both you and the villain have <50bbs.  Now, that's a decent stack size, but once the chips start going in, it becomes VERY difficult to get away from a hand as strong as AK.

The blinds are about to go to 100/200.  And, if you fold to his four-bet (which you did), you leave yourself in "Funky Stack Land" with 28bbs.  Which comes back to my point about willingness to gamble and, ultimately, playing ftw...

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: MTT Hand - Advice / Opinions Needed Please : No, he shouldn't be calling with any two, because of his stack size.  In the late stages of a tournament, the 2.2x raise is effective, because players CAN'T call for value with any two.  Why?  Because they're not deep enough to make speculative calls and look at flops.  Chip conservation is key! A three-bet of that size gives your opponent a simple decision - shove or fold.  If he flats, then he's nowhere near as solid as you think he is!  And yes, you'd be OOP on the flop, but having the betting lead compensates for that.  You can shove a variety of flops and put him to a difficult decision for his tournament life.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Yeah I have the betting lead, but i'd be shipping 4 like ~6k into ~2k
  • edited August 2010
    Final point from me: however good the structure of this tournament is, neither of you is THAT deep. At the start of the hand, both you and the villain have <50bbs.  Now, that's a decent stack size, but once the chips start going in, it becomes VERY difficult to get away from a hand as strong as AK. The blinds are about to go to 100/200.  And, if you fold to his four-bet (which you did), you leave yourself in "Funky Stack Land" with 28bbs.  Which comes back to my point about willingness to gamble and, ultimately, playing ftw...
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    This was pretty much why I think I call in a normal tourny, but left the buy in affect me here.

Gotta gamble at some point, so why not with AK with the chips there's already out there 
  • edited August 2010
    @ Dohhhh

Its kind of fitting that you choose this one particular hand to show us ur point.. but it kind of contradics itself. Basically i got a problem with ur thoughts that its best to raise someone off a hand u believe them to be bluffing, even wen u have a hand with significant value to just call, in short this is likely to be less +EV than just calling for the times they re pop u, or call with winning hands. In the said hand it kind of highlights that you can never play a perfect game because you can never dictate the oppositions next decision.

Example hand: u have 5c, 8c or watever u wanna have, basically u only have a weak holding like 8hi on the river. if u played against villains hand face up that was J 4 & the board has come 2 7 10 10 K, and villain bets the river, by ur school of thought it would be optimal to fold right?  (bcos villain is ahead) .... "WRONG"- u say with some swagger how u wud raise him off instantly and he has to pass Jack hi.. Perfect Play right?.... Wrong again, what about the times he leads J hi on the riv, u 'raise his bluff', but he re pops u all in and u cannot call and have u lost X amount of chips.

So basically u can never play perfect poker, cos opponents can be too random & unpredictable.. so to reiterate the likes of beaneh, yb, etc u have to play for the optimal/most +ev play available against your best assimillation of what the opponent will do- it can not always be the perfect decision.

I hope this makes sense to someone bt prob not.. fwiw i get ironed at NLHE lol
  • edited August 2010
    I hope this makes sense to someone bt prob not.. fwiw i get ironed at NLHE lol
    Posted by hotpotato

good post. 

like the word assimilation too :)
  • edited August 2010

Hey hotpotato, alot of the jargon u use goes over my head, but will base my reply on the hypothetical hand in the 2nd paragraph.

In your hand, the other guy, is also playing absolutely perfect poker.

If 2 players play their hand, and read teir opponents hand to perfection, then who is gonna win? - whoever has the best hand each time.

If you run into a guy who has a perfect read on you, its a sick table draw, or bad table selection.

Perfection is possible, but obviously nobody is perfect, so just aim to get as close to 100% decisions right as you can.
  • edited August 2010
  • edited August 2010

Just the way u guys say things.

"ur thoughts that its best to raise someone off a hand u believe them to be bluffing, even wen u have a hand with significant value to just call, in short this is likely to be less +EV than just calling for the times they re pop u, or call with winning hands"

Does this mean raising someone when u think they r bluffing is bad, coz they might not be bluffing and call u and make u look like a muppet?

That wud be a mis-read and/or poor bet sizing (u havent bet enough, bet too much, or got involved deep in a hand with a guy who cant fold) - all 3 things u can control.

and if he has the ability to 3 bet or 3 bet shove on the river on a bluff - then he's a sh!t hot player who u shud avoid playing with where-ever possible. Shake his hand.

Ill say yet again, It's logical to try and play as close to perfect as u can, obviously u arent gonna get every decision right, but why not aim to?

• edited August 2010
    Ill say yet again, It's logical to try and play as close to perfect as u can, obviously u arent gonna get every decision right, but why not aim to?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

sigh.

you're playing a range of face down cards not his 'revealed hand' at the end.

• ybyb
    edited August 2010
    lol i can imagine beaneh banging his head on his keyboard right now....

dohh imo the hand that you posted actually shows why its a lot better to call in a lot of situations with weak s/d value rather than raise if you think your opponent is bluffing. The whole point of bluff raising is to get him to fold better hands than you have right? But obviously in the example you gave this wasnt gonna happen as this villain wasn't even folding worse hands. If your raise can never fold out any hands that beat you its not gonna be +EV (unless you can get enough calls from hands even weaker than yours but then it becomes a raise for value and not to bluff).

But basically if you have a bluff catcher against someone pretty bad I would just call down so they can continue when they don't have such a great hand as K-high with a gutshot.
  • edited August 2010
    this argument goes on in every thread omg for the love of god

• edited August 2010
    lol i can imagine beaneh banging his head on his keyboard right now....
    Posted by yb
    dis

kybrd brkn pstng frm phne
  • edited August 2010
    Ugh well u guys have clearly gone further than me in the game, u play higher, so who am I to argue.

I fancy my chances against ya, 9 more months ill be a 100nl reg as i promised 3 months ago.

Rub ya hands, lick ya lips   a new fish is coming :)
  • edited August 2010
    haha jj you'd kill em people just dont get it, some people are more feel players and it works some people base on +ev and getting pot odds etc. but i believe both plays work so there is no wrong way to some extent

I am similar to jj, just not as good go mainly on feel and if i think i can bluff someone of a better hand i will not hesitate
  • edited August 2010
    i love this forum 
  • edited August 2010
    i love this forum 
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    Me too.