You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The MasterCash BIG GAME tonight. With LML & Davina McCall

13»

Comments

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: The MasterCash BIG GAME tonight. With LML & Davina McCall:
    I could be tempted to two table too. To two table, with you two, two tabling too would be be too tempting to do. Toodaloo!
    Posted by elsadog
    Good effort, 7 in a single sentence impressive, but never more than three consecutive to/too/two's, & even that was spread over two sentences.

Try again please Alan.

• edited August 2010
    If you two were to wear two tu-tu's too when two tabling I too would be tempted to two table too in my tu-tu.

<<<<<<< Gone for a lie down in a dark room.
  • edited August 2010
    If you two were to wear two tu-tu's too when two tabling I too would be tempted to two table too in my tu-tu. <<<<<<< Gone for a lie down in a dark room.
    Posted by elsadog
    4 in a row - much better effort.

Bonus mark for injecting a new variant - "tu".

One mark deducted for duplicated word. (Two-tu's).

One mark deducted for hyphenated repetition.
  • edited August 2010
    I recall a certain archbishop putting up some items of clothing for auction. I purchased them along with a rugby shirt signed by Gareth Edwards.

You could say that I not only bought the rugby shirt but I bought two Tutu tu-tus too to show off to my friends.
  • edited August 2010
    I recall a certain archbishop putting up an item of clothing for auction. I purchased it along with a rugby shirt signed by Gareth Edwards. You could say that I not only bought the rugby shirt but I bought the Tutu tutu too to show off to my friends.
    Posted by MereNovice
    EXCELLENT effort, 2 Bonus Points for inventive use of the language.

4 Points deducted, upon grounds which are yet to be decided.
  • edited August 2010
    My final effort ........

''To to to too, too to to to to too, to to to too, too to to to too, I'm singing in the rain'' .............
  • edited August 2010
    My final effort ........ ''To to to too, too to to to to too, to to to too, too to to to too, I'm singing in the rain'' .............
    Posted by elsadog
    .....is the WINNER.

Sheer genuis.

PS - Disqualified.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: The MasterCash BIG GAME tonight. With LML & Davina McCall : As you know, I've long been an admirer of your game, you seem so technically efficient & economical, rarely wasting  chip or leaving a chip behind. Playing against good players (I would not go so far as to say "better") can only be good for your game, just as watching good players helps us all. Unless you are the TV Analyst & get every read wrong....... I'm still intrigued by that A-Q v A-T hand against SIMUK, which, & I assume I read it wrong yet again, seemed so out of character with your normal style. If it's not already been Posted anywhere (I've looked, & can't see it), any chance you could take us through your thinking, street by street, maybe even post the HH? You called all the way whilst miles behind then stole it on the River, with what looked to those of us who could see the cards face up like an outrgeous steal. I'm intrigued, because that's not what I am used to seeing you do. Was it an audacious steal, or did you just think SIMUK was at it in the hand from start to finish? The bet size on your final bet (relative to the pot) was interesting too! LOVED the hand, & I've been musing about it ever since. Well played you, & all the players.
    Posted by Tikay10
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    offshoot Small blind   £5.00 £5.00 £985.00
    lolufold Big blind   £10.00 £15.00 £3129.95
      Your hole cards
    • A

simuk Raise   £40.00 £55.00 £975.00
    WeAreOnTV Fold        
    Sparce Fold        
    offshoot Call   £35.00 £90.00 £950.00
    lolufold Fold        
    Flop

• A
    • J

offshoot Check        
    simuk Bet   £60.00 £150.00 £915.00
    offshoot Call   £60.00 £210.00 £890.00
    Turn

offshoot Check        
    simuk Bet   £140.00 £350.00 £775.00
    offshoot Call   £140.00 £490.00 £750.00
    River

offshoot Check        
    simuk Bet   £260.00 £750.00 £515.00
    offshoot All-in   £750.00 £1500.00 £0.00
    simuk Fold        
    offshoot Muck        
    offshoot Win   £1008.20   £1008.20
    offshoot Return   £490.00 £1.80 £1498.20
    By the river i was thinking my hand is basically worthless. He douesnt fire 3 barrells on such a dry board without a better hand. I was already contemplating turning my hand into a bluff when i called turn. On the river his bet sizing is a little smaller than i think he would bet with AJ or better becuase i think he would want to get value from AQ or A9 if he had a stronger hand so im leaning more towards AK or AQ. There are basically no hands i get to the river with that i would bluff with in his mind so a shove starts to seem like a better idea than folding.

I can credibly rep AJ, A9 or sets really considering how dry the board was and being out of position and i know that sim is good enough to fold AQ or AK here becuase im just never bluffing really. I would normally never make a move like this because most weaker players would just snap call with AQ but i guess one of the advantages of playing against better players is they can hand read better. Ofc i valuetown myself when he has AJ but no risk, no reward. I also dont mind if people think its a horrible play, im not in love with it(probably should fold turn), i guess im just lucky it worked out this time.

I definitely played a lot different overall than i normally would and probably made more mistakes but i learned some things i guess.
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks offshoot, that's a really interesting and honest analysis.
    It adds a lot to the hand.
    Much appreciated.
  • edited August 2010
    Just to echo what MereNovice says above. It's great to have a player from the hand itself explain out the play, and it *was* a brave play. Thanks a lot - I for one appreciate it.

Sky Dave
  • edited August 2010
    I would say dont flat ATo oop to him, however once you c/r river is schexy and I likes so nh it's not like anyone good barrels that board against anyone good so river is def fold or raise. Even with good river play i'm still not a huge fan of pre. Though I assume from pf raise sizing that it wasn't too active 3betting/4betting getting it in or was this just early?
  • edited August 2010
    I don't know if simuk is still following this thread but if you're going to fold to a c/r all-in is it best just to check the river here since you're not going to get called by many hands that you beat or are you losing value over time by doing this?

It's a much simpler game when I've had hours to think about the hand and know what the cards are!

• edited August 2010
    yeah i was kicking myself for the call pre, i did it whilst multitabling and not really thinking. Thats what partially led to me trying to salvage the hand in some way. I dont think many people would be opening wide from UTG at this table so it was deinitely a bad call. There had been a standard amount of 3betting but no crazy 4bet/5betting

I think my biggest mistake overall was playing too many hands oop, i do it alot anyway but at this table it was prob a bad idea.
  • edited August 2010
    I don't know if simuk is still following this thread but if you're going to fold to a c/r all-in is it best just to check the river here since you're not going to get called by many hands that you beat or are you losing value over time by doing this? It's a much simpler game when I've had hours to think about the hand and know what the cards are!
    Posted by MereNovice
    well if he percieves me as a calling station then he can probably still get value from weaker aces and once i call turn he would probably expect that i would call river. I would have played it exactly the same as him. I think to bet/fold river is better than checking
  • edited August 2010
    I don't know if simuk is still following this thread but if you're going to fold to a c/r all-in is it best just to check the river here since you're not going to get called by many hands that you beat or are you losing value over time by doing this? It's a much simpler game when I've had hours to think about the hand and know what the cards are!
    Posted by MereNovice

He should only check the river if he feels that offshoot will regularly turn made hands into bluffs on the river which I doubt he would expect too often. Until he's been c/shoved on a few times he really cant just be bet calling rivers as a standard like this.

Ya I would be 3 betting ATo or just folding 5 handed, calling pre is icky.
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by MereNovice
    OK here is my thinking....

The flop is rainbow... Offshoot (sorry I don't know your real name!) cannot really have a missed draw by the river as there is no way he calls the turn as well with broadway gutshots etc...

Therefore, he has a made hand...

When he CRs all in, I don't beat any of these made hands unless Offshoot has planned to CR the river the entire time. At the time I didn't have the read that Offshoot was capable of this despite my betsizing being a little exploitable (in that it looks like I am going for thin value without two pair plus) perhaps.

So why did I bet 260ish and not check? Well... I thought I was ahead (which was correct :P) but did not think he would be calling a bigger bet on the river as I am rarely bluffing here. ALSO... with this being shown on TV... I wanted the regs to know that I can valuebet this hand on this river. If I can valuebet here then I can be bluff more credibly in these spots too! Also, as I mentioned before, I did not give Offshoot credit, especially at 5/10, for being able to pull off such a bluff. Very well played by him as I said on the night...

And it opens a very interesting river dynamic for us in the future!:D
  • edited August 2010
    Oh and fwiw, Beaneh is right... I really don't think you can show a profit peeling ATo against me pre out of position. Unless you pull the trigger on the river everytime :P!
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks.
    These insights are excellent.
    It was great to watch you play - I hope to see more of the same in future if it can be arranged.
    Much appreciated.
  • edited August 2010

I echo the comments of others - big thanks to Offshoot & Simmy for baring their souls & taking us through that hand.

I sort of understand it now - but that's not to say I could have pulled the trigger on the end!

I'm absolutely made-up over how good that evening was, & by the general reaction to it.

To all those who suggested a repeat, &/or smaller buy-in versions of the same thing, watch this space please.
  • edited August 2010
    just to echo what everyone else said
    top top show, with top top players
    offshoots move brilliant
    for me, though sim (although ran very well) played quality
    and sparce (guy plays like he has quads every hand, ha)
    seriously though big respect to all at the table
    looking forward to next one.

gadge
  • edited August 2010
    Great show, it was well presented with some excellent play from those at the table.  Watching poker shows like this makes me want to keep working to get to that level.  Well done folks  :-) 
  • edited August 2010
    Really enjoying some of the progs at the moment (not saying I haven't previously, just making the point that they're also really good at the mo). Watched a final table show last night with Ed presenting - very interesting stuff & kept me glued.
    Looking forward to the next Big Game (from the Bellagio table ;-) lol )

• edited August 2010
    I echo the comments of others - big thanks to Offshoot & Simmy for baring their souls & taking us through that hand. I sort of understand it now - but that's not to say I could have pulled the trigger on the end! I'm absolutely made-up over how good that evening was, & by the general reaction to it. To all those who suggested a repeat, &/or smaller buy-in versions of the same thing, watch this space please.
    Posted by Tikay10

The shows being hosted online so they can be watched anytime would also be really helpful too (rather than trying to be in for scheduled repeats), hint hint :D
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: The MasterCash BIG GAME tonight. With LML & Davina McCall : The shows being hosted online so they can be watched anytime would also be really helpful too (rather than trying to be in for scheduled repeats), hint hint :D
    Posted by beaneh
    Maybe certain nits on this site should get Sky HD or Sky Plus at least then it's no issue, eh Beanel!
  • edited August 2010
    Maybe we could do a Big Game with all of us in the studio!
  • edited August 2010
    Maybe we could do a Big Game with all of us in the studio!
    Posted by simuk
    They could call it WeAreOnTv ....

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: The MasterCash BIG GAME tonight. With LML & Davina McCall : Maybe certain nits on this site should get Sky HD or Sky Plus at least then it's no issue, eh Beanel!
    Posted by simuk

who actually watches tv?

it's full of tosh (Though sky buying hbo rights is an excellent idea).
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: The MasterCash BIG GAME tonight. With LML & Davina McCall : who actually watches tv? it's full of tosh (Though sky buying hbo rights is an excellent idea).
    Posted by beaneh
    I literally have mine for sport... oh and Tikay.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm absolutely made-up over how good that evening was, & by the general reaction to it.
    Posted by Tikay10
    The fact people are discussing it days after the show can only be a good sign.