You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Charity Bet - HELP! And FREE Tourney Entry.

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat

You've seen the Presenters Charity Bet Thread - HERE - well I need some help.

Who, or what, shall I back?

It's supposed to be Football - new Season & all that - but as I supported Brentford as a lad (go on, giggle away), it's sort of difficult.

I like Arsenal, too, & many many other football teams, & on Footie days, I don't care WHO wins, because I can enjoy it more if I don't have a particular allegience. Fervent football fans are, of course, myopic.

So, share with me my decision on what or who to bet on, & let's have a bet we can all follow, right through the Season, not one which is "dead" within weeks.

So, fire away, suggestions please.

The BEST suggestion will get a Free Entry to next Tuesday's "BIG" £11 TOTTY Freezeout. Can't be fairer than that.

Ideally, it'll be a Team or Bet we can follow every week, on Telly & stuff, one that runs for a goodly while, & we can have a bit of fun & mileage with.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    is it just to win the epl or is it a bet every saturday ?

a wee bit more info would be helpful
  • edited August 2010
      Wel for my twopenneth worth i dont think you can go far wrong with

Luton to win the conference at 6/4.

Good luck with making your decision
  • edited August 2010
    just read it properly lol

you should go for value and stay away from the epl and spl

go to one of the lower divisions  and see the teams that have invested some money during the close season

but stay away from the major leagues and teams as there is no value in any of them
  • edited August 2010
    Bournemouth would give you a good rollercoaster of emotions every week Tikay!  

They did really well to get promoted last season with only about 15 players and have great team unity - something kinda like what we have at Sky :)
  • edited August 2010
    What sort of price are u looking for?

A "double your money" shot? - Or something abit more optimistic?
  • edited August 2010
    crewe for league two were/are my biggest ante post position

an open league dario gradi has sorted out the problems behind the scenes have usual influx of superb youth and some solid pros big big price

good luck with whatever you choose

• edited August 2010
    Wigan to get relegated looks like good value Tikay
  • edited August 2010

It can be ANY Football-related Bet shown on the Sky Bet Football section - ideally, I think, one of the "Specials" which are near the foot of the page.

I'm looking for a bet that we can all follow right through the Season. Value does not matter as much something we can all have fun with for 6 months is preferred.
  • edited August 2010
    A sure bet.

West Ham to Beat Aston Villa. (and im a Villa Fan)

Manager left, Team in a muddle, and today both our Centre Backs have been ruled out of the West Ham game with injury

Villa to be in a Religation Battle this season :(

And West Ham are a very nice 10/3
  • edited August 2010
    Had a quick look, and a bet which should run, and be close throughout the season, possibly going down to the last day of the season, is Wayne Rooney to score more league goals than Didier Drogba.

that pays 5/6....

Ive coupled this with West Brom to get relegated (good news for the Baggies fans, is they have a promotion season to look forward to next season) This also pays 5/6

Put these in a double, and you get a tasty 23/10, with £25 returning £84.

3 teams to look out for each week, and shud make for some great on-screen banter with RichO, who I believe is a baggy!

So,

Rooney to score more than Drogba - 5/6
    West Brom to get relegated - 5/6

Double pays 23/10

(Had a few quid on it myself, couldn't resist)

Edit - Just read the other thread and seen Orford has backed WB to stay up, so you might as well win his money back for the cause! ;)H2H!
  • edited August 2010
    Just seen that Steve Coppell has resigned as boss of Bristol City. Wonder if he could be in the running for the Villa Job? He does not feature in the betting on SkyBet as yet, but it might be worthwhile checking that throughout the day.

****Edit**** he is quoted at 33/1 now
  • edited August 2010
    having looked at the specials briefly stamford bridge to have the most goals this season look ok at 9/2 they generrally do very well at home and it will give you an interest right throughout the season and besides they are known for scoring  4,5,6 etc at home

so thats my tuppence worth

good luck with whatever you decide
  • edited August 2010
     Ok Im may being a little biased but I think the bet should be put on Bury to win promotion at 11/2. Bury have the manager and the players to be there or there abouts all season dispite losing to Shef Weds in the cup they showed they have the ability to play at an higher level and had ten shots on target and restricted Weds to two.
     Ever which team you choose to bet on I hope you dont choose to make a negative bet I just hate bets on teams going down or people losing their jobs. Thank you and good luck!

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Charity Bet - HELP! And FREE Tourney Entry.:
    Just seen that Steve Coppell has resigned as boss of Bristol City. Wonder if he could be in the running for the Villa Job? He does not feature in the betting on SkyBet as yet, but it might be worthwhile checking that throughout the day. ****Edit**** he is quoted at 33/1 now
    Posted by emilyegg

Anybody but SVEN, Anybody please anybody but SVEN lol
  • edited August 2010
    Hi tikay

Why not back a team each way to win, or be plaecd i each of the football leagues?, the iidea being is that there will be interest, not only for one, but the whole league.
  • edited August 2010
    Southampton to win League 1 at 5/2!.....
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Charity Bet - HELP! And FREE Tourney Entry. : Anybody but SVEN, Anybody please anybody but SVEN lol
    Posted by Gavinxxxx
    It now says that Coppell has RETIRED from management, so on reflection that 33/1 might be a bit skinny ;0)
  • edited August 2010
    having looked at the specials briefly stamford bridge to have the most goals this season look ok at 9/2 they generrally do very well at home and it will give you an interest right throughout the season and besides they are known for scoring  4,5,6 etc at home so thats my tuppence worth good luck with whatever you decide
    Posted by pattyk
    That is a very open market. I will plump for the Emirates to have the most goals at 5/1.
  • edited August 2010
    QPR to win the championship

dunno odds just gut feeling
  • edited August 2010
    Orait Gramps, I have gone for a bit of variety in the Premiership -

£5 on Chelsea to win it Outright

£5 on Wayne Rooney/Drogba to be Top Goal Scorer

£5 on Spurs to be in the Top 6 (Not great value in this one but great banter to be had if they fail - aka abuse Hoggers time)

£5 on Blackpool to be relegated

£5 on WBA to be relegated (again banter releated with Orford)
  • edited August 2010
    Right starting at the lower leagues, I beleive Imraan Ladak is a friend of yours, and his team (and the town i live) Kettering Town are masively overpriced at 40/1 to win the league.  We finsished 1 place out of the play offs last year, and after a couple of decent signings are looking in great shape.  Id put 12.50 on kettering each way (pays top 3) and you'd be sure to have a good run for your money all season.  Ashikodi @ 25/1 is a big price for top goal scorer also.

If your looking for more of a fun bet, Luton are EXPECTED to run away with the league as they were expected to last year and didnt so Luton to score 100 or more league goals @ 4/1 also appeals.

Premier league gorund to see the most goals, I like the look of Bloomfield road @ 12/1, really cant see blackpool donig anything in the premiership and think they could be on for a spanknig both home and away week after week.

Also in the premiership, and i hate saying this but tevez looks big @ 12/1 to be top goal score for man shitty

Gareth
  • edited August 2010

How about Charlton to secure promotion from League 1? They have a real possibility this season and were very close last season missing out on penalties. Definatley worth a few quid for a semi decent return.

• edited August 2010
    I suggest the following relegation treble:

West Brom (Prem) 5/6
    Scunthorpe (Champ) 11/10 &
    Rochdale (league one) 7/4
  • edited August 2010
    Oh and Huddersfield to shock Southampton and win league one is a very decent bet. Yes, I know I'm biased but I'm being serious!
  • edited August 2010
    Right starting at the lower leagues, I beleive Imraan Ladak is a friend of yours, and his team (and the town i live) Kettering Town are masively overpriced at 40/1 to win the league.  We finsished 1 place out of the play offs last year, and after a couple of decent signings are looking in great shape.  Id put 12.50 on kettering each way (pays top 3) and you'd be sure to have a good run for your money all season.  Ashikodi @ 25/1 is a big price for top goal scorer also. If your looking for more of a fun bet, Luton are EXPECTED to run away with the league as they were expected to last year and didnt so Luton to score 100 or more league goals @ 4/1 also appeals. Premier league gorund to see the most goals, I like the look of Bloomfield road @ 12/1, really cant see blackpool donig anything in the premiership and think they could be on for a spanknig both home and away week after week. Also in the premiership, and i hate saying this but tevez looks big @ 12/1 to be top goal score for man shitty Gareth
    Posted by 35suited
    I was attracted to the Bloomfield Road bet too Gareth, but can't see Blackpool scoring many and may be heavily reliant on the visiting sides?
  • edited August 2010
    How about Charlton to secure promotion from League 1? They have a real possibility this season and were very close last season missing out on penalties. Definatley worth a few quid for a semi decent return.
    Posted by pvdlover
    Wahooo theres someone else out there, yeah thats probably a good bet but we need a couple more strikers :P
  • edited August 2010
    Steve Coppell is now 5/1 third favourite from 33/1 just half an hour ago for the Villa Job, even though he has "Retired"

Its gone midday so I will start on the ale now.
  • edited August 2010
    I also think you'll get a decent run out of Frank Lampard each-way to be top goalscorer at 25/1. I think the top 4? pays out and he has managed this in recent seasons. Will play week in week out and not injury prone like Torres or Rooney either.
  • edited August 2010
    How about Paul Scholes to get booked every game he plays this season? Not great odds i would imagine but it's a certain winner!!!

20 years in the game and still can't tackle!
  • edited August 2010
    Sheffield Wednesday to win league one, NAILED ON.