You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What would YOU do here? - anonymous vote.

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat

Ok, heres the situation...

You play he primo, which starts at 8pm. At 11-30 you find yourslf heads up against an opponent with stacks that are even. You both have 20xbb's each.

There is 1k difference between 1st and 2nd, so effectively a straight 1k HU match.

Your opponent dis-connects.

Do you....

a) Steal his blinds as fast as possible, turn on auto muck to save time, and pray he doesnt come back?

b) sit out, let the time bar run down, and wait for your opponent to return.

People may want an option C, which is to give the opponent 5 mins, then play on, but the sake of this poll Im going to take out option C - I believe it is contradictory, and you either wait or you don't.

Again I have made this poll anonymous, but comments are welcome.

I believe that the rail in the chatbox, makes people say and do differently to they normally would. For example sitting out because they don't want to be exposed as a "cheat" and frowned upon by others - and agreeing with everyone else coz they don't want to look bad. This poll will hopefully take away the "pier pressure" and allow people to be honest.
 -
Again, I dnt mind admitting that Im strongly in the steal and play for the win option.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    This is a no contest,steal and win

EDIT it would actually depend on the oppo.If it was a pal i WOULD wait
  • edited August 2010
    Thats a hard one m8-- any other site, I know I would steal, but on sky, with the community spirit, and the telly, and me Mum watching, I would wait for while, but only long enough that I could say I thought he was'nt coming back--lol
  • edited August 2010
    as dav said id probably just steal his blinds.

However if it was a mate or someone i had been having good banter with down the primo i may consider waiting, he got 36 seconds from the min he disconnects :)
  • edited August 2010
    At that stage of the game I would sit out and wait for my opponent to return, but like Oynutter, if they hadn't come back after a lenghty period then I would start to steal.
  • edited August 2010
    Probably wait 10 minutes but then straight ahead with the stealing. :)
  • edited August 2010
    Im stealing all the time, all about getting the edge whether its for 5 minutes or i can steal my way to victory

I fancy myself heads up steal but all i care about is winning the tournament, even if against one of my friends on here or wherever i am always stealing in this spot. Play to win, not really cheating if they have lost their connection happens to me and i would expect the same
  • edited August 2010

To the guys who wud sit and wait for a certain amount of time, and then steal....

Why?????

Its not like the guy who has disconnected, will have left his computer and gone to bed is it?

He will be trying absolutely everything possible to try and get back on, if it was me, Id be nocking on the neighbours door to ask if I cud borrow his laptop for half an hour.

Theres no sense in waiting, then stealing - that's the worst option imo.
  • edited August 2010
    Been there, done it for a £1.2K difference in the last Sky biggie tourney and it's a wait every time.  Put yourself in the opponent's position - you've battled through a 400+ field for 4 hours and then disconnected.  I'm pretty sure the unwritten poker rule is 10 minutes for a big mtt and at the HU stage I believe the opponent definitely deserves a bit of slack.  
  • edited August 2010
    Fair play to you Phil, i did hear about that and wondered whether i would do the same but since had a couple of heads up for a couple of minutes disconnects the opponent i have always taken advantage although wrong i have a winning attitude so anything other then cheating i would use for my edge
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would YOU do here? - anonymous vote.:
    To the guys who wud sit and wait for a certain amount of time, and then steal.... Why????? Its not like the guy who has disconnected, will have left his computer and gone to bed is it? He will be trying absolutely everything possible to try and get back on, if it was me, Id be nocking on the neighbours door to ask if I cud borrow his laptop for half an hour. Theres no sense in waiting, then stealing - that's the worst option imo.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Some "disconnections" are temporary and can be sorted out by re-booting the router. Other problems might be solved by re-booting the PC. This would take 5 to 10 minutes so some people would deem it to be reasonable to allow their opponent to do this.

If your opponent is disconnected for longer than this, the likelihood is that they are unlikely to "reappear" so it makes sense to "steal" their blinds in order to complete the game.
  • edited August 2010
    get better connections, leave the dial up in the shed
  • edited August 2010
    Fair play to you Phil, i did hear about that and wondered whether i would do the same but since had a couple of heads up for a couple of minutes disconnects the opponent i have always taken advantage although wrong i have a winning attitude so anything other then cheating i would use for my edge
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    I do have the winning attitude still but in these instances I truly believe that it is the correct thing to do after playing for so long. 

Its like a snooker player owning up when his waistcoat touches a ball when he's taking a shot - he wants to win but good sportsmanship would look for you to do what you would hope / expect ur opponent to do for you!!
  • edited August 2010

The snooker example wud be cheating....

The poker one is well within the laws of the game.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would YOU do here? - anonymous vote. : I do have the winning attitude still but in these instances I truly believe that it is the correct thing to do after playing for so long.  Its like a snooker player owning up when his waistcoat touches a ball when he's taking a shot - he wants to win but good sportsmanship would look for you to do what you would hope / expect ur opponent to do for you!!
    Posted by phil12uk
    Lol i play snooker and the example you have given is not the same as it is against the rules of the game also its dis-honest. i dont play in a waistcoat but in a league and as you do you own up to a foul if the ref cant see it, its not really dis-honest to carry on playing if someone disconnects.

also i dont dis-agree you have a winning attitude just saying although the back of my mind says let them come back we dont know how long they are going to be and i like to get a game finished as quickly as possible. if he comes back within a couple of minutes and we have a good heads up so be it, if he doesn't i wouldn't have waited 5-10mins for him to come back and just wasted time
  • edited August 2010
    The snooker example wud be cheating.... The poker one is well within the laws of the game.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    So sportsmanship goes out the window???  What about a football team throwing the ball back to the opposition after they kicked it out due to a player being injured?  That gives the advantage back to the opposition although there's no law stating they have to.

How come u folded during the TP series during a sng if ur all for taking the chips regardless?  

It's the correct thing to do although there's obviously no written law.
  • edited August 2010

That was coz the whole point of the TP sit and goes was to play against and beat the rest of the players, not for the money.

I think there was money at stake for the winner, but not enough to get me back upto and beyond the £500 - so I wouldn't have seen a penny of it lol.

If I was on £500 and wud have gotten £50 or whatever it was for winning it, I would have done!
  • edited August 2010
    Your right Phil and again agree with the football concept, with poker it isnt cheating although the correct thing to do. Although i would steal blinds etc doesn't mean i would steal in real life and am an honest person still

Personally though if i disconnect i would expect someone to be nicking as much as possible and it happens to me in mtt as i have a dodgy cable for my laptop(hopefully only for another week)

You are 100% correct but dont think many people would do this as the voting suggest so its a silly unwritten law as you have done it for someone does it mean when it happens to you they will let you off i dont think so, i would mainly due to the fact you have done it for someone else so i think you deserve it but any other person i am nicking :P
  • edited August 2010
    To the guys who wud sit and wait for a certain amount of time, and then steal.... Why????? Its not like the guy who has disconnected, will have left his computer and gone to bed is it? He will be trying absolutely everything possible to try and get back on, if it was me, Id be nocking on the neighbours door to ask if I cud borrow his laptop for half an hour. Theres no sense in waiting, then stealing - that's the worst option imo.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Luckily I used to live in a shared house and have been put in this position a few times, although not for the stakes you were talking about, but  have got ppl out of bed to use their computers.

Everytime its happened (about 5 or 6 times over about a year) no-one has ever waited, so you can probably guess where my vote went.

(The only esception being someone I know from this site as some players have given me advice and help on my game and of course LML coz she,s just fit)
  • edited August 2010
    Being a total coward I'd wait because it would be on the telly and wouldn't want to be portrayed as a baddie.

Any other time I'd steal immediately.
  • edited August 2010
    another site i play on-- in the past it would be frowned upon to nick the blinds at this stage of a tournament--the player also would have been named and shamed on that sites forum for doing so--
    however that site has now joined the ipoker system where thankfully in general this sort of thing is in the past--

from what i understand as a newcomer here, disconnections have been the blight of this site, being the main reason for players not returning after bad experiences with disconnections--

(lets be honest--we all know that's the truth of the matter)--

maybe if you all thought about helping others, rather than steal whatever you can, this site would have a better reputation that it has at the moment--

anyway at the moment im finding my way around this site, im only playing the august free-roll challenge and that is a chip stealing feast--
    for most of the first hour you could be the only player at the table--(maybe one other)--
    so in that scenario--fill your boots and build a stack--rapido--

good luck mr doh in whatever way you view the answers--
    if i was lucky enough to be in that situation i would phone customer care and ask for a ruling --
    then post in the chat box what they had said--or not said--

strange none of the officials are giving an indication of what should be done--
    that Claire girl has plenty to say for herself--
    what would she do i wonder--

i think this may be my first post outside the free-roll challenge thread--

if claire reads this--it could be my last--anywhere-- 
  • edited August 2010
    I'd wait.....yeah I know it's the easiest £1000 I'd ever make if I stole but if I were the other player I'd be gutted!

As Phil12uk said your opponent has played for over 4 hours to get to that point and deserves a fair chance at the HU battle. If I were disconnected at that point and my opponent stole I'd be gutted so I wouldn't do that to someone else! Yes it's not cheating but it's not nice........

Obviously if they won I'd be mega hacked off! :P But I'd definetely wait on my opponent!
  • edited August 2010

Hey batman - Whatever you would chose to do in this hypothetical situation, cannot be criticised.

Its more of a moral dilemma, therefore doesnt require an official ruling.

What do you expect customer care would say?

They can't tell you what to do.......how to play.....

The only issue should be with your conscience I guess.

I didn't expect so many comments on this thread, I expected people to be shy about admitting they would steal. I'm sure there are some people who have chosen just to vote and remain unknown, but for people willing to discuss it, I will gladly do so and put across another point of view.

How about the option of stealing, getting the game won, and the money banked. Its yours, and you can do with it whatever you like.

Theres nothing stopping you giving a %age of the extra winnings, for example, 20% of 1k to the opponentva bank transfer or whatever.

Again, I don't think I would take this option either, but it's open to you in that situation, to get the money, and reduce the guilt (if you have any)

and @ Phil12uk - I was in the chatox when that HU was going on, you played a great game, as did Scotty. However when he disconnected, you had a strong chip lead, maybe 3-1 (although deepish still by HU standards).

What would you have done, if there was no1 watching, scotty wasnt scotty, and the chip stacks were reversed, and u were a 3-1 underdog with the stacks as they were.

You would still wait? (obviously you are never ever gonna go bak on ur decision and say u wud steal, maybe u cud pm me your honest answer? lol)
  • edited August 2010
    does it make a difference it being on telly?. does it make a difference its a grand? does it make a difference its a primo?? coz if this was a £5 hu sng i think the vote would be 95% v 5%. morally there is no difference!! i think i would take the money unless it was phil coz hes a honest chap!!
  • edited August 2010

I think the lower the amount involved, the less likely people are to steal. Do you agree?
  • edited August 2010
    dohh--yes your right as nearly always--
    me-- as i said-- id still make the phone call--
    i wouldn't just steel when its heads up for that money--
    great chatting to you--
    thanks for your reply--
  • edited August 2010
    I think the lower the amount involved, the less likely people are to steal. Do you agree?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I think it's the opposite, the more money involved the more likely they are to steal. Me, I'd give them 5 minutes and then let the thievery commence.
  • edited August 2010
    less money involved more likely to steel." frack it, its only a fiver mentality" 
  • edited August 2010
    lol yeh - more money = steal....right?

Ofc its all relative to ur bankroll I guess, If I wanted to try a game of omaha hi/lo, i may register for a £1 game, and if the guy aint there....wait for him.....

Coz im playing for the game-play rather than the money

Not sure many ppl on here play the primo for anything other than money tho.....

1k is significant to anyones br
  • edited August 2010
    If I had never heard of the oppo, then I would steal.  If my oppo was familiar to me, like a forum reg, then I would wait.
    I would however expect the oppo, or a railer to make a big post on the forum saying what an absolute gentleman I was, and they will never forget the gesture for the rest of their life, maybe a christmas card or even a mention in their will.
  • edited August 2010
    On the subject, if it's not heads-up I always blame another player in the chatbox as soon as the away player gets reconnected.

Can get quite amusing.