You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What would YOU do here? - anonymous vote.

2»

Comments

• ybyb
    edited August 2010
    I'm definitely for stealing!

I was in that situation HU in the open last year and was stealing straight way, unfortunately he came back and beat me anyway lol :(
  • edited August 2010
    Like Phil I have been in this exact situation. I was 3 way in the £55 BH. At exactly mid-night on the dot a guy d/c. As there were still 2 of us there we carried on, I knocked him out and got HU... I waited for 5 minutes and he still didnt come back so had to steal his blinds.

You say waiting then carrying on isn't an option... OK so you decide to wait. How long do you wait? 30 minutes? 2 hours? 24 hours? At some point you need to say enough is enough and take the blinds.  Ihad about 10 people railing me that night as it was a TV tournament with them all screaming at me to steal the blinds at the end of the day we play poker for the £ I have kids to feed and rent to pay, I thought I was very kind by giving him 5 minutes to return considering it was over 1k to win the HU battle.
  • edited August 2010
    If i did not know the villian & it was not live on TV = STEAL

If i did know the villian & it was live on TV = STEAL

Morale of the story - Never disconnect when playing me HU :)
  • edited August 2010
    it's 1k, no decision, hammer the raise button till your finger starts to bleed.
    I guess you just weigh up the virtual guarantee of 1k vs the chance of 1k and feeling like a good person because you believed yourself to act in a sporting manner. For me £1k is worth way more than any feel good i would get from waiting but that's because i have no soul...
  • edited August 2010
    I would through good sportsmanship, get confused, keep folding my BB and somehow come second.
  • edited August 2010
    Steal steal steal and steal again
  • edited August 2010
    And if it was you Dohhhhhhh m8 that had been disconnected I would post in on here to rub the salt in the wound lol.... twice :)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would YOU do here? - anonymous vote.:
    At that stage of the game I would sit out and wait for my opponent to return, but like Oynutter, if they hadn't come back after a lenghty period then I would start to steal.
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    +1
  • edited August 2010
    I would sit out for 20 minutes at least.  By the time 20 minutes rolls around it looks like a serious disconnect issue plus the other guy would probably assume I have been stealing the blinds and there's no point trying to reconnect so they'd stop trying.

Dohhhhhhh, the thing you have to remember is the blinds will keep going up.  Is anyone willing to sit out in this situation until the blinds have both of us all in even though we are sat out and it turns into Russian Roulette?
  • edited August 2010
    I think most people would do different things depending on the situation.

If you are on a smallish site such as Sky where you are likely to know the OP then a considerable amount of time is likely to be given. If on the other hand you were on one of the mega sites where you didn't know anyone then I think most people would be less forgiving.

I've been on both sides of this. My first ever tourmnament win was when the guy I was H2H with disconnected. I wasn't doing particularly well at the time but I sat out for about 15 minutes. I then took all the blinds  and ''won'' the game. Some years later I was disconnected and in the same situation and after trying frantically to re-connect I got back on to find my opponent sitting patiently waiting for me to return. I lost - I was so impressed that he had waited I had no aggression left in me. Would I wait next time? Definitely yes, my first tournament win wasn't what it should have been and to this day I don't think of it as a victory.

Having said all that, if it was Dohhhhhhh I'd take the blinds every time ;o)

• edited August 2010
    depends if i am winning/losing from cash games earlier or if i know the guy personally
  • edited August 2010
    Loooooooooool !!!

I realise If this ever happens to me I have no chance, and the chatbox will be cheering, singing dancing and high 5-ing!

With my internet connection being probably the worst on sky poker, it probably wasn't wise me starting this.

Thats why I don't even bother getting heads up anymore.
  • edited August 2010
    I WOULD WAIT EVERY TIME , SAYING THAT , THIS THREAD HAS GIVEN ME A LONG LIST OF NAMES WHERE I WOULDN'T WAIT FOR EVEN 1 HAND !!
  • edited August 2010
    Raise, give 20% (of the £1,000) to charity, morale balance is restored.

At the end of the day, if you have a better connection than your opponent, why should you lose the advantage and possibly let them actually end up beating you? If you raise and win their blinds and they return to the table, come back and beat you - fair enough, they played well and deserve it, at least you won't be kicking yourself that you've cost yourself a GRAND by folding against an opponent when they're not even there.
    It's not even if the other player isn't winning anything, he's still winning at least £2K! (and the majority of that should go on buying a better computer of laptop so it never happens again in such a vital situation).

If it was the other way round I wouldn't expect my opponent to fold, I'd actually feel bad if they had been folding and I went on to beat him.
  • edited August 2010

QUESTION ? H/U IN A LIVE TOURNEY . 1 PLAYER IS IN THE REST ROOM AS HE IS ILL . WHAT DOES THE RULE BOOK SAY ?
  • edited August 2010
    I find the results of this poll so far very disappointing.

Phil has already shown the right thing to do in this situation and I would not have expected a guy of his class to do anything different.

I would have no interest in winning a tournament by simply having a better connection than my heads up opponent. The fact that there are people railing has no bearing whatsoever.

In the example quoted I would already have won a couple of grand, and I would not lose my self respect by trying to steal that little bit more.

Yesterday I went to my local newsagent to buy cigarettes and a paper. I am a regular in there. The young girl behind the counter gave me £10 too much change. I bet there are many of you who have voted in the majority here who would have put the tenner in their pocket without saying a word.

Tony

• edited August 2010

Sit out and wait x
  • edited August 2010
    i wouldnt steal dohhhhhhh's blinds in this situation just because i know he would steal mine, or anyone elses.

The amount of money at stake is irrelevant. 1k difference isnt life changing, its just money.

stealing blinds here is rather like scoring an open goal in football when the goalkeeper is injured and the referee has not blown his whistle.

It could be a perfectly good goal, but would it feel right? No, do a DI Canio imo, catch the ball. Be the sportsman.

I have been HU in mtts a couple of times, and reconnected, and found my opponant didnt steal, and it was a brilliant feeling, i was so grateful. I have also had the opposite happen and it feels bad.

just do the right thing....

• edited August 2010
    from the minute he is disconnected I'd steal every time ......
    do unto others & all that    except get yours in first .
  • edited August 2010
    QUESTION ? H/U IN A LIVE TOURNEY . 1 PLAYER IS IN THE REST ROOM AS HE IS ILL . WHAT DOES THE RULE BOOK SAY ?
    Posted by PILLOWMAN
    His cards would be dealt and mucked and he would be blinded out if he is not seated at the table.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would YOU do here? - anonymous vote. : His cards would be dealt and mucked and he would be blinded out if he is not seated at the table.
    Posted by Quietman

TY

• edited August 2010
    I would have no other option but to steal, my 22 kids need food and new shoes.
  • edited August 2010
    Happened a couple of times to me at the end of tourneys, and I can't bring myself to blind an opponent out.

Having said that, I wouldn't wait forever- 5-10 minutes to allow a standard disconnect, and if it becomes apparent they're not fixing it anytime soon, I'd start taking the blinds.
  • edited August 2010
    Happened to me once in a HU SnG.  Table loads but the oppo is away.  So I sit out and after ten minutes or so the oppo connects.  They did not say thank you or even acknowledge what I had done.  That well tilted me.
  • edited August 2010
    lol the hu sng thing.....played 100 of them over a weekend a couple of weeks ago.

Massive bonus when the guy aint there, was down to 300 chips, comes back, obv tilted and annoyed, shoves with any 2, I happen to have a hand, win the game, offer a re-match and he accepted x 3 !!!!

Loooooool his table obviously was taking 5 mins to load, give me 1.7k v 300 chips in a HU game everytime, I fancy my chances!!
  • edited August 2010

My personal rules are;

Wait 10 mins, if no reconnection, contact sky by phone/customer chat. If they can't get hold of villain, I give another courtesy 10 minutes for villain to resolve connection, then I take the blinds and win. Post tournament I try and broker a deal with villain (20-30% of difference between 2nd and 1st).

• edited August 2010
    If it was me in this situation.. Oh I wish. lol  

I would get an e-mail into sky through the forum asking them to freeze the tournament until the guy can re connect.  Not sure if this is possible but it would probably result in the fairest solution.  No danger of blinds overtaking both players then 

I would not want to win by this method... but then I don't play Poker for the money,  I play it for the Game.  I do appreciate that many people do play Poker for the money and can understanding the "steal the blinds" attitude 
  • edited August 2010
    contact support and ask them to split 1/2/nd prize money equally if they said no then you would have to steal, but option 1st.