You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is poker gambling?

13»

Comments

• edited August 2010
    what a sad post . First it shows a sad response to a serious question and a lack of understanding of the thought behind it.
    Response to Re: is poker gambling?:
    anyone who says poker isnt gambling is living on Mars of course its gambling! what a redic thread
    Posted by GREGHOGG
  • edited August 2010
    The Law courts of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland have stated that Poker is gambling by way of a trial taken by the Inland Revenue who wanted taxes to be paid by professional players. The courts decided that if poker was primarily a game of skill tax would have to be forthcoming on all profits accrued, if it was primarily luck, in came under the umbrella of gambling, and therefore taxes would not be relevant to professional players. Now who says that the law is an a s s and wants to pay taxes on profits lol ?
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: is poker gambling?:
    In Response to Re: is poker gambling? : if you've got money to enter this WSOP 8 seater events when u get $25k for 6th then all you have to do is survive and wait for a big hand a lump, get into 6th and you'll always make profit but you're only as good as the cards you're opponant has which makes it a luck fest. Type is poker luck in google and over 5.2million results come up, ask any man in the street would you have more chance turning ove a profit putting £10 win on Denman or sitting at a 1p/2p table with £10. This whole poker revolutuion makes you kind of sick when you think about it, its just like a big hyperbole that japan had with Pokermon, many people young and old will go skint chasing the dream and realise they've wasted many good years chasing on a bit of luck, what you dont realise is thesepoker presenters can sit back on a daily wage and have no worries yet you take advice from them and none of them have even gone deep in a big tournament? come on guys seriously. why didnt alana sugar make his money in poker if it was such a skillfull profitable art? why didnt bill gates make his money in poker if it was such a skillfull profitable art? You're better off trying to start your own business or getting a good degree under your belt and having a nice solid income of like 45k + then entering a few tournaments every year whilst on holiday when you got the money than chasing a dream I would say there are probably only 5% of people who can make money of poker and 4% of thei s the actual casion tht holds the event and the 1% being the bloke who wins that big WSOP tornament for millions.
    Posted by MadHorse

Black: You've just suggested a strategy for winning at the wsop... a game that is just down to luck surely can't require any strategy?

Brown: 5.2 million results when you type in poker luck... you do know that you are searching for poker and luck separately and so you will get results about just poker and results about just luck. The relevant results will be a discussion of whether or not poker is just luck and not proof that poker is just luck. If you ask a random guy in the street where to put his £10 it's more likely than not that he doesn't know how to play poker.

Pink: Poker presenters don't make a living from playing poker. I'm talking about players that do, online cash grinders. I'm pretty sure at least one of them has gone deep in a big tourny, didn't ed have a decent run in something?

Blue: Alan Sugar might of had no interest in playing poker. There is more money in what him and Bill Gates have done than in playing poker so it's no surprise they have made much more money elsewhere then you could possibly make playing poker.

Red: For the majority of people this is true, but what if you could make £120k a year playing online poker as a teenager? How do all the online cash grinders make a living playing poker? Cash poker is where there is a load of skill involved. Starting up your own business can be rather risky anyway, over 50% of start up businesses fail in their first year I think I have heard quoted.

When you play poker madhorse what influences your decisions? Do you just flip a coin on whether you call or fold to an all in? Do you close your eyes and randomly click anywhere when you can call, fold or raise? Or do you think about what the best option would be? If you start thinking then you start turning poker into a game of skill.
  • edited August 2010
    You fell for it Blackfish.

MadHorse for the live interview Sky! I demand it.
  • edited August 2010
    U can say that was a one off but every torny i have played in which is over 20 quid i have cashed in and every single live tournament i have cashed in aswell! Posted by Batkin88
    94th in tonight's take on tikay? Just as well that wasn't over £20 entry or the run would have been ruined.

lol, lol, lol.
  • edited August 2010

He's ran out of homework
  • edited August 2010
    green:

lol at blackfish's post, nice effort sir

• edited August 2010
    What are your actual odds of winning though,

Primo = 600 players

Levels = 25

Hands played per level on average = 5

Levels x Hands = 125

125 x 599 players = 78,875/1

Good luck, I'd rather have 30 £1 goes on the Irish lottery.
  • edited August 2010
    good points guys but what i want to know is.............................................

is darts really a sport??????????????????????????

well is it???????????????????????????
  • edited August 2010
    What are your actual odds of winning though, Primo = 600 players Levels = 25 Hands played per level on average = 5 Levels x Hands = 125 125 x 599 players = 78,875/1 Good luck, I'd rather have 30 £1 goes on the Irish lottery.
    Posted by MadHorse
    MereNovice!!!!!!!

pmsl again. Brilliant MH, just brilliant.
  • edited August 2010

Ill have a tenner on each player at 78,000/1
  • edited August 2010
    Ill have a tenner on each player at 78,000/1
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    600 players x 52 cards x the square root of Pi / the chance of hitting a set on the flop to the power of AA?

Ok, you're on. How much?
  • edited August 2010
    What are your actual odds of winning though, Primo = 600 players Levels = 25 Hands played per level on average = 5 Levels x Hands = 125 125 x 599 players = 78,875/1 Good luck, I'd rather have 30 £1 goes on the Irish lottery.
    Posted by MadHorse
    Your forgetting poker isn't just a game of luck...

And forget tournies, cash games are where there is oodles of skill. Can't believe I just used the word oodles and also can't believe it is actually a real word as it didn't get a red underline for a misspelling.
  • edited August 2010
    will do u a deal i will show u it isnt luck with poker! I will play u heads up and guarantee i will beat u thats a challenge i hope u accept! 
    Posted by Batkin88
    accepted. 
    best of 3, £10 HU.
  • ACAACA
    edited August 2010
    This is what I mean. This situation in a cash game is gambling in the legal sense because the chips are real money you can pull out and cash them in . This is what so many governments frown upon. But in a tournament the chips are just a playing tool - as are the cards . You are gambling in the general sense because you are jumpng nto the unknown but in the legal sense it is not because the chips you hold are worthless beyond the game - they are not cashable - in real terms. In Response to Re: is poker gambling? :
    Posted by tiercel

Hi tiercel

nice post as it seems to have stimulated a good debate.

for what its worth i reckon Poker, as all forms of wagering monies in an attempt to make a profit is 100% gambling, as another post has stated if your only playing for the love of game and that alone, then the free play tables are always available, reckon u'l last 5 mins there before getting back to the money tables. How many players would play a freeroll if there was no cash prize ????

The reason poker has exploded in recent years has been as JH has stated the chance of turning a small wager (buyin) into a huge profit (Moneymaker, Gold, Cada etc etc etc)

I understand your point re cash and MTT but I think it's a fairly mute one, if you played every WSOP tournament event in Vegas in 2010 and failed to cash, the wife and the Mortgage company may disagree with you that MTT's are not gambling

Always a pleasure
    ACA 
  • ACAACA
    edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: is poker gambling? : accepted.  best of 3, £10 HU.
    Posted by theneons

Neon you shark

you knew if u made it £20 hu, you were dead

lol
  • edited August 2010
    At the start of every televised WPT Mike Sexton says "Let's go watch 'em gamble!"
  • edited August 2010
    OK . My original post was meant to challenge Mr Hartigan but I didnt expect such a huge follow up.
    The law is an ( something Sky thinks is offensive because it cant tell the difference between an animal and a female rear end )  and often gets it wrong when high paid lawyers get involved. It is a generalised ruling that denies many people round the world the joy of the game. Whereas if I am right and Tournament poker is not gambling those countries that banned internet gambling are up the shute. And most people lose so if its taxed you might get a rebate ( lol) .
    My attitude is simple. Tournaments are not gambling because the chips have no value outside of the game.  Cash IS gambling because the chips are cashable on leaving the table.This affects how you use them because if you are not gambling with them they become simply a measure of your position and a tool/weapon to be used in the battle. It is an opinion and some disagree but it colours your approach to the game.
    And I have been mocked before for bucking the mainstream opinion and been proved right.
    May the debate go forth ! Good luck at the tables.
  • edited August 2010
    You can lose your money travelling round train spotting and get into trouble with the Mrs. Who said T K ? lol

Response to Re: is poker gambling?:
    In Response to Re: is poker gambling? : Hi tiercel nice post as it seems to have stimulated a good debate. for what its worth i reckon Poker, as all forms of wagering monies in an attempt to make a profit is 100% gambling, as another post has stated if your only playing for the love of game and that alone, then the free play tables are always available, reckon u'l last 5 mins there before getting back to the money tables. How many players would play a freeroll if there was no cash prize ???? The reason poker has exploded in recent years has been as JH has stated the chance of turning a small wager (buyin) into a huge profit (Moneymaker, Gold, Cada etc etc etc) I understand your point re cash and MTT but I think it's a fairly mute one, if you played every WSOP tournament event in Vegas in 2010 and failed to cash, the wife and the Mortgage company may disagree with you that MTT's are not gambling Always a pleasure ACA 
    Posted by ACA
  • edited August 2010
    Pink: Poker presenters don't make a living from playing poker. I'm talking about players that do, online cash grinders. I'm pretty sure at least one of them has gone deep in a big tourny, didn't ed have a decent run in something?

tikay has also gone deep in a couple of big tournaments, he won a big one in russia too
  • edited August 2010
    Pink: Poker presenters don't make a living from playing poker. I'm talking about players that do, online cash grinders. I'm pretty sure at least one of them has gone deep in a big tourny, didn't ed have a decent run in something? tikay has also gone deep in a couple of big tournaments, he won a big one in russia too
    Posted by acebarry10
    And if I remember rightly had trouble getting out of the country with the money, something about intimate searches by the customs officials:)
  • edited August 2010
    It occurs to me to ask - once you've cashed in a tourney and you can't lose anything only make more money are you still gambling ? Bet to nothing perhaps ?
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: is poker gambling? : 94th in tonight's take on tikay? Just as well that wasn't over £20 entry or the run would have been ruined. lol, lol, lol.
    Posted by bandini
    Not a good night also entered a £22 deepstack  and didnt cash 
    so that ruined my figures! lol
    Still i stand by my first post.... who cares 

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: is poker gambling? : accepted.  best of 3, £10 HU.
    Posted by theneons
    challenge wasnt set for u.... however as i really dont care who i play in a no reload heads up ur on..
    although y dont we up the ante a little bit to say £50
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: is poker gambling? : Not a good night also entered a £22 deepstack  and didnt cash  so that ruined my figures! lol Still i stand by my first post.... who cares 
    Posted by Batkin88
    unlucky in not cashin, but i hope your over 18 or if in the USA OVER 21 TO GAMBLE ? lol
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: is poker gambling? : And if I remember rightly had trouble getting out of the country with the money, something about intimate searches by the customs officials:)
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    at least he learnt not to hide money up his a s s...
  • edited August 2010
    I pay money to play a game. When i am at home with mates we dish out chips and play for nothing.

I think that if you pay what you can afford to do something thats fun regardless of return it is not gambling. I have to pay to play on Sky so  i pay ( except freerolls obviously )

if you pay 1 pound to go on a ride and say that 1/2 the people will get the next one free, the people who get off without the free ride will still be a bit gutted but it was still worth a quid in the first place because you got the enjoyment in return.

If you win at poker your money spins out further and you can have hours more fun but the principal stays the same. If you are bothered about winning money then you are gambling. But all gambling is a laugh and exciting if you can afford to lose your stake.

LOL thats left that as clear as mud. Glad to help.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: is poker gambling? : Neon you shark you knew if u made it £20 hu, you were dead lol
    Posted by ACA
    if i run good this week, i may consider it. :)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: is poker gambling? : challenge wasnt set for u.... however as i really dont care who i play in a no reload heads up ur on.. although y dont we up the ante a little bit to say £50
    Posted by Batkin88
    once my roll fits £50 as 5%, you got it.

• edited August 2010
    Posted by MadHorse
    Ha ha, you must have went to Richard Orford school of maths, or mine lol. Even me with my loony intellect can see that what you have stated in your sums are the odds of winning every hand all through the whole competition, when nobody would play every hand? The actual odds at the start would be nearer 600/1 lol