You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

do you ever get staked?

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat
ive done some small-ball staking recently, but a friend of mine has offered me a 3 figure roll for a 500% ROI and i get 40% of it. 

what say the forum re:online staking?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    500% ROI and you only get 40%.

Neons, i got offered similar a few months back, i wasnt ready for it and i knew that. However 500% is a big ask, and a long grind and your only getting 40%.

If i where in your shoes id keep building up yourself.
  • edited August 2010
    So for instance, £100 stake, if you do it you get £200 to yourself ?

60% sounds better for you :)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to do you ever get staked?:
    ive done some small-ball staking recently, but a friend of mine has offered me a 3 figure roll for a 500% ROI and i get 40% of it.  what say the forum re:online staking?
    Posted by theneons
    I've no idea what "the Forum" will say, but my line is simple. Don't do it. PLEASE.

There are a 100 reasons I could list why you should not do this, & no doubt, 100 people would disagree.

Just say no.
  • edited August 2010
    ive done some small-ball staking recently, but a friend of mine has offered me a 3 figure roll for a 500% ROI and i get 40% of it.  what say the forum re:online staking?
    Posted by theneons
    If you want to stay friends then don't do it m8!!

3 months ago I got a very good staking offer online but turned it down because it included some of my friends and I just could not play with their money - everything would be good when winning - but what happens if you run bad and end up losing the stake - where do you stand then? Always better to have your own BR and develop from there imo
  • edited August 2010
    hi theneons m8,just listen to tikay and dylan and you WILL NOT go wrong at all
  • edited August 2010

Wow - Dylan gets it spot on.
  • edited August 2010
    why do they ask for stake, are they not good enough with there own money ? and also why lose mates over it ?
  • edited August 2010
    not had steaks for two years now,im poor you see,anyway just got fixed up with some decent regular work so i might treat mesel when ive done me week-in-hand so good news everybody
    btw dont stake or get staked it only lead to heartache most of the time.there maybe exceptions but they are very rare
  • edited August 2010
    Tikay and Dylan for the win
  • edited August 2010
    NO NO NO is the only answer you should be contemplating.

a 3 figure stake certainly isn't big enough to command a 500% ROI in any case. Even a seasoned pro player would struggle to offer that sort of return.

£100 +500% = £600 -£100 (Stake) x 0.60 = £300
    £500 +500% = £3000 -£500 (Stake) x 0.60 = £1500

In the real world would you really want to borrow £100 from a loan company and pay £400 back? and if you borrow £500 your paying back £2000 - I think not.

Give it a wide birth m8y and save up for your own bank roll.
  • edited August 2010
    Its bad enough losing my own money never mind my friends money aswell.
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by theneons

wat does this even mean?
  • edited August 2010
    it would take you years to reach target, if u ever got there, so no, don't do it
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: do you ever get staked?:
    In Response to do you ever get staked? : wat does this even mean?
    Posted by beaneh
    Not 100% on how its worked out but ROI means, actually im sure somebody with bigger brains will jump in any second now ........ :)
  • edited August 2010
    I've never been staked. I have stalked someone though.

Rohypnol for the win.
  • edited August 2010

If someone wanted to stake me to play above my usual level, which is less than 1% of my br, i'd snap their hand off.

Why wouldn't you? absolutely nothing to lose.....
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by theneons
    so that`s a massive don`t do it
  • edited August 2010
    I know what ROI is but what is that figure relating to, a benchmark for when he can start seeing money himself?

• edited August 2010
    I know what ROI is but what is that figure relating to, a benchmark for when he can start seeing money himself?
    Posted by beaneh
    The way I see it is :
    If his mate stakes him £100 he has got to turn it into £600 before he see's a penny himself and if his mate stakes him £500 he's got to turn it into £3000 before he see's a penny himself.  
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: do you ever get staked? : The way I see it is : If his mate stakes him £100 he has got to turn it into £600 before he see's a penny himself and if his mate stakes him £500 he's got to turn it into £3000 before he see's a penny himself.  
    Posted by POKERTREV
    no matter,if they can`t use there own money, NEVER STAKE
  • edited August 2010
    i dont know why anyone would want to be staked.....if you are good enough to get 500% roi (or 100% even) why would you want someone else to get the lions share of it?
    the only case i see for being staked is something like the ept or wsop main event where you maybe cant afford the buyin but know you would have an edge and possibly get deep and cash big,then the way i see it is if someone pays your fee they deserve a decent slice of any winnings

gl,dave
  • edited August 2010
    i dont know why anyone would want to be staked.....if you are good enough to get 500% roi (or 100% even) why would you want someone else to get the lions share of it? the only case i see for being staked is something like the ept or wsop main event where you maybe cant afford the buyin but know you would have an edge and possibly get deep and cash big,then the way i see it is if someone pays your fee they deserve a decent slice of any winnings gl,dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    i agree.

if im right in thinking, if Neil Channing sponsors you on his website its meant for live events and not online poker. Im sure the big sponsor websites also do this.

For all i wouldnt want to be staked id never mind being offered my buy in for an certain event such as a few WSOP braclet events.
  • edited August 2010

Wouldn't anyone like the chance to play higher levels than normal on a complete freeroll?????

Im sure the guys on this forum just go with whatever the first 2/3 replies say. 

If I said to a regular £5.50 8-15 deepstack player, I will give you £2,200 to play the next 100 monday night deepstacks, and we split any profit, how many wud say no thank u???

I reckon none.

• edited August 2010
    Wouldn't anyone like the chance to play higher levels than normal on a complete freeroll????? Im sure the guys on this forum just go with whatever the first 2/3 replies say.  If I said to a regular £5.50 8-15 deepstack player, I will give you £2,200 to play the next 100 monday night deepstacks, and we split any profit, how many wud say no thank u??? I reckon none.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I WOULD SAY NO, I`D RATHER WIN/ LOSE WITH MY MY OWN MONEY, IF I LOST WITH SOMEONE ELSE`S MONEY WHAT WOULD THAT DO TO MY OWN CONFIDENCE KNOWIN IT`S NOT MY MONEY, I`D BE TRYING HARD  TO WIN, AS IF IT WAS MY OWN I`D BE MORE RELAXED KNOWING IT`S MY MONEY, WIN OR LOSE
  • edited August 2010
    Wouldn't anyone like the chance to play higher levels than normal on a complete freeroll????? Im sure the guys on this forum just go with whatever the first 2/3 replies say.  If I said to a regular £5.50 8-15 deepstack player, I will give you £2,200 to play the next 100 monday night deepstacks, and we split any profit, how many wud say no thank u??? I reckon none.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Please? On tournament heater too see S S lol
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    The whole point is JJ, the OP said his friend wanted to stake him, business and pleasure do not mix at the best of times. The friend obviously wants to invest in order to make money himself out of the deal. In your example above of £2,200 - you obviously wipe that out as an investment never to be returned I take it? As mentioned in other posts - you are given opportunities with some sites to gain entry into live comps etc and obviously a lot of players get staked to big entry events - but by doing so the investors know that they may never see any return on their investment and any monies generated is a bonus. You also say that anyone would surely like the chance to play higher levels than normal on a complete freeroll - but it aint that simple is it - when playing cash online as the OP has stated, the backer wants a massive ROI so it isn't a freeroll - the same with you giving out £2,200 - I am sure your right no one would turn down this offer because why would they, they have nothing to lose - however if you stipulate that you want a higher % of the winnings until the original stake is cleared etc then it becomes totally complicated.
  • edited August 2010
    Not worth staking or selling shares imo.
    I had my first ever big win last week and ended up giving away a third of it to some bloke who happened to be in the right place at the right time. Wouldn't mind but he's got more money than me and a better car.
    Took the gloss right off it.
  • edited August 2010
    Not worth staking or selling shares imo. I had my first ever big win last week and ended up giving away a third of it to some bloke who happened to be in the right place at the right time. Wouldn't mind but he's got more money than me and a better car. Took the gloss right off it.
    Posted by Chompy_imo
    Plus he is much older than you - Ancient in fact -  don't forget that :)
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Hi M8y.
    I would gladly take your money if we only split the profit (if any) however, his mate has stipulated that he wants 500% Returned On his Investment so i'm not so sure I would want to take his money/stake.
  • edited August 2010
    what happens if at first you lose lol?

how does the make up work if any?