You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL 50 overpair and draw....

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Since moving back to nl50 from nl30, the aggression shown at the higher level has just hit me hard....

nl30 is bsically a crash course in how to beat loose passive fish.

Nl50 is deffo loose aggressive fish!!

Had a week (2 sessions) breaking even there, which is understandable as I try to adapt my game again, bt krazy plays like this r so annoying, am I just waiting to find the right spot to catch this kind of player?

The one relevant note I have on the villain is he defended and donk led the pot...I didn't see his hand, so doesnt help at all, or does it?

Best go find the hand...ooooooops.....
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
fani_jus Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £70.18
dub1 Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £56.20
  Your hole cards

moondanser Call  £0.50 £1.25 £34.68
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £2.50 £3.75 £46.50
brodis Fold     
gerrard9 Fold     
fani_jus Call  £2.25 £6.00 £67.93
dub1 Fold     
moondanser Call  £2.00 £8.00 £32.68
Flop

fani_jus Bet  £8.00 £16.00 £59.93
moondanser Fold     
DOHHHHHHH

Comments

• ybyb
    edited September 2010
    Call and see what he does on the turn.
  • edited September 2010
    you would learn more if you put what is confusing you/what problem you are having here.

is your decision between raising and calling? or calling and folding? 

why did you raise pre?
  • edited September 2010

I dunno why I raised pre, it's just what Ive always done with pocket pairs....

On the flop I think all 3 options are open to me, Im just stuck in a situation I don't really see much, at least not in recent times, so don't have much experience to call upon, and I just hated it tbh.

I folded........

Coz I didn't know what to do. Ive no idea what he's doin that with, hate all turn cards, and even ones that help, might not be good enough neway.

This is why I think including results in a post aint a bad thing.
  • edited September 2010
    including results is always a bad thing, just accept that.

why have you always raised pocket pairs? 

what sort of hands do you think he limps with pre?

of those what does he call?

what sort of hands do you think he leads out with into two players on this board?

how much of that range is he folding to a raise? how much is he re-raising your raise?

how does your hand fare against that range?

how do different turn cards affect your equity against that range?

that should get you started.
  • edited September 2010

Well he's defended his small blind, the e/p limper folded.

I dont know why I have always raised pocket pairs, probably coz everyone else does, and it has worked for me for ages.

All the answers to ur other questions I would just be guessing. Im getting tired of guessing. Maybe this is why I hate sitting down to grind so much coz Im guessing so often. It feels like so much effort to have a winning session. 

He donks with hands that include a big diamond, overpairs with no diamond, probably sets, and maybe ace 5.

I have absolutely no idea what he has here. 
    I have absolutely no idea what he will fold.........he probably doesn't fold over pairs or Ad x Kd x......

I dont know the answer to any of your questions, just fold and wait till I have a set and hope I hit my outs :)
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: NL 50 overpair and draw....:
    Well he's defended his small blind, the e/p limper folded. I dont know why I have always raised pocket pairs, probably coz everyone else does, and it has worked for me for ages. All the answers to ur other questions I would just be guessing. Im getting tired of guessing. Maybe this is why I hate sitting down to grind so much coz Im guessing so often. It feels like so much effort to have a winning session.  He donks with hands that include a big diamond, overpairs with no diamond, probably sets, and maybe ace 5. I have absolutely no idea what he has here.  I have absolutely no idea what he will fold.........he probably doesn't fold over pairs or Ad x Kd x...... I dont know the answer to any of your questions, just fold and wait till I have a set :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

'guessing'

wat on earth do you think you've been doing up until now, everything you do is an educated guess.

guess the/some answers or you'll suck forever. also try listing the pros and cons of raising pps preflop and rate them relative to each other so most important factor no1 least no whatever total number of stuff you've listed.
  • edited September 2010

At nl30.....There cud be 3 limpers utg ....utg+1 and c.o, and I cud min raise/3x the button for the sake of pot building incase I hit a set - then Id have 5 people to try and extract value from.

Depressing sitting at a table waiting for sets, or cooler pre flop AI confrontations.

How can I have such a huge edge to walk away 8+ buy ins up at nl30 2 tabling for 5 hours....then just be "another reg" at nl50......

Hahaha 1 week breaking even and I wanna shoot myself.

I guess I am gonna suck forever.......but wud u rather be bad and make money, or try to get better and break even, seems they r my 2 options atm

Gonna become an MTT pro instead :D 2 outers ftw.
  • edited September 2010
    At nl30.....There cud be 3 limpers utg ....utg+1 and c.o, and I cud min raise/3x the button for the sake of pot building incase I hit a set - then Id have 5 people to try and extract value from. Depressing sitting at a table waiting for sets, or cooler pre flop AI confrontations. How can I have such a huge edge to walk away 8+ buy ins up at nl30 2 tabling for 5 hours....then just be "another reg" at nl50...... Hahaha 1 week breaking even and I wanna shoot myself. I guess I am gonna suck forever.......but wud u rather be bad and make money, or try to get better and break even, seems they r my 2 options atm Gonna become an MTT pro instead :D 2 outers ftw.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

you're so results orientated it stupid. drop down to nl4 and try not to get so crushed.
  • edited September 2010
    loooooooooooool Ive never been crushed everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - that's a fact.

Im the only guy in the world who has played 5 years an not had a down swing remember.

Thanx for replying anyway.

What would other people do in this situation? Bloke is an un-known, not been at table long, do u just sigh, give up, and say "ok have it" like me?

Or get brave ?? :)

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: NL 50 overpair and draw....:
    loooooooooooool Ive never been crushed everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - that's a fact. Im the only guy in the world who has played 5 years an not had a down swing remember. Thanx for replying anyway. What would other people do in this situation? Bloke is an un-known, not been at table long, do u just sigh, give up, and say "ok have it" like me? Or get brave ?? :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

you have played roughly 8 hands if you've not had a downswing especially with how little idea you have of why you should/could do stuff.

I'm going to say again, you've run above expectiation ie you have been lucky, basing your decisions/thought processes on winning or losing is why you are such an epic fail

I'm never folding here without a very specific read.
  • edited September 2010

Not folding here is probably why ur on a 6 month down-swing then or whatever it is you're on. Beat the variance fella, let him have it this time, and have the hand to get it next time.

Whats it matter if I know/don't know why or why not Im doing things? At the end of the day it's about pressing the right buttons at the right time - I can do that, that's all that matters.

I'm not sure what u are basing ur decisions on, but again, maybe convincing urself ur doing the right thing when uve been "losing for so long" might be abit delusional....admit u have a problem, then u can fix it.

Wake up and smell the coffee, results are all that matter in this game, unless ur a millionaire playing for fun, which I very much doubt you are.

btw, I hope this 'convo' doesn't put people off offering an opinion on what they would do in my spot here and why.....still v interested, as it suxxxxxxxxxxxx :(
  • edited September 2010
    Call and see what he does on the turn.
    Posted by yb
    This is what I would do too.
  • edited September 2010
    Not folding here is probably why ur on a 6 month down-swing then or whatever it is you're on. Beat the variance fella, let him have it this time, and have the hand to get it next time. Whats it matter if I know/don't know why or why not Im doing things? At the end of the day it's about pressing the right buttons at the right time - I can do that, that's all that matters. I'm not sure what u are basing ur decisions on, but again, maybe convincing urself ur doing the right thing when uve been "losing for so long" might be abit delusional....admit u have a problem, then u can fix it. Wake up and smell the coffee, results are all that matter in this game, unless ur a millionaire playing for fun, which I very much doubt you are. btw, I hope this 'convo' doesn't put people off offering an opinion on what they would do in my spot here and why.....still v interested, as it suxxxxxxxxxxxx :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee best thread ever?
  • edited September 2010
    Fist pump shove IMO.
  • edited September 2010

So if a black ace comes on the turn, and he checks....what now?
  • edited September 2010
    Fist pump shove IMO.
    Posted by CLIOKID

I bet you were fist pumping whilst reading this thread lol
  • edited September 2010
    So if a black ace comes on the turn, and he checks....what now?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

how on earth can we GUESS that, it doesn't matter what he has just work out if we're going to win by the river and continue if we will.
  • edited September 2010

Well its a hypothetical situation, what wud u do? U have control....can do whatever u want......what wud u do??

• edited September 2010
    "so Dr. DOHHHH can you tell me how you know how to perform open heart surgery on me?"

"what does it matter if i know or dont know what im doing, at the end of the day all that matter is i make incisions at the right place at the right time so you dont die. i can do that and thats all that matters."

"wat"
  • edited September 2010
    Well its a hypothetical situation, what wud u do? U have control....can do whatever u want......what wud u do??
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

I guess obv.
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    I was almost in tears reading this thread.

Cliokid the reason I dont like raising getting it in is that we are probably crushed by his b/cing range and we arent really folding out many hands that have good equity against us (apart from maybe stuff like 77-TT without a diamond if he folds these). Whereas if we call and see a blank turn we now obv have a lot better equity against all his drawing hands (stuff like 2 high cards with a diamond etc.) and also we have the benefit of position so we can see how he reacts. And if all else fails just pray for the 4d!

Btw this f-ing pop up thing that comes up halfway through writing a post and makes you start over is sooooo tilting!!!

• edited September 2010
    I was almost in tears reading this thread. Cliokid the reason I dont like raising getting it in is that we are probably crushed by his b/cing range and we arent really folding out many hands that have good equity against us (apart from maybe stuff like 77-TT without a diamond if he folds these). Whereas if we call and see a blank turn we now obv have a lot better equity against all his drawing hands (stuff like 2 high cards with a diamond etc.) and also we have the benefit of position so we can see how he reacts. And if all else fails just pray for the 4d! Btw this f-ing pop up thing that comes up halfway through writing a post and makes you start over is sooooo tilting!!!
    Posted by yb
    how could you be tilted in this thread, it's the best thread eva!!!

• edited September 2010
    I was almost in tears reading this thread. Cliokid the reason I dont like raising getting it in is that we are probably crushed by his b/cing range and we arent really folding out many hands that have good equity against us (apart from maybe stuff like 77-TT without a diamond if he folds these). Whereas if we call and see a blank turn we now obv have a lot better equity against all his drawing hands (stuff like 2 high cards with a diamond etc.) and also we have the benefit of position so we can see how he reacts. And if all else fails just pray for the 4d! Btw this f-ing pop up thing that comes up halfway through writing a post and makes you start over is sooooo tilting!!!
    Posted by yb
    I wasn't being serious :-)
  • edited September 2010
    this is why i try not to miss dohhh's clinic threads
  • edited September 2010
    "so Dr. DOHHHH can you tell me how you know how to perform open heart surgery on me?" "what does it matter if i know or dont know what im doing, at the end of the day all that matter is i make incisions at the right place at the right time so you dont die. i can do that and thats all that matters." "wat"
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

Are u really comparing a game of cards, to open heart surgery?

How about a constructive reply regarding the hand? Or no reply at all

There arent even any hearts on the flop
  • edited September 2010
    Just make the perfect decision every time.
  • edited September 2010
    this is why i try not to miss dohhh's clinic threads
    Posted by zing

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: NL 50 overpair and draw.... : Are u really comparing a game of cards, to open heart surgery? How about a constructive reply regarding the hand? Or no reply at all There arent even any hearts on the flop
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    yes i am honestly saying being a surgeon is exactly the same as playing poker for a living, they both follow the same model as

1) read some books
    2) ??????
    3) profit

fold pre raise flop call turn jam river
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: NL 50 overpair and draw.... : yes i am honestly saying being a surgeon is exactly the same as playing poker for a living
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

LOL
  • edited September 2010
    how you are not a wind up merchant I will never know.