You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL 50 overpair and draw....

2»

Comments

• ACAACA
    edited September 2010
    for wat's its worth, and I know u dont give a rats ???, u raise pre was 2 big if ur not gona play that flop

Always a pleasure

• ACAACA
    edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: NL 50 overpair and draw....:
    loooooooooooool Ive never been crushed everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - that's a fact. Im the only guy in the world who has played 5 years an not had a down swing remember. Thanx for replying anyway. What would other people do in this situation? Bloke is an un-known, not been at table long, do u just sigh, give up, and say "ok have it" like me? Or get brave ?? :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

You've not had a downswing in 5yrs and ur still playin on SKY, lol

p.s good fold I reckon, looks like a big overpair with a dia, but what wud I know, as u already told me I'm a complete donk with no clue, and in 5 yrs I've made a number of downswings, :)
  • edited September 2010

jesus doh, your such a nit!

you have to continue on that flop surely!

• edited September 2010

Lol the flop is so misleading, coz if ur ahead on that flop, ur very vulnerable......

if ur behind, ur probably doomed.

Hoggers calling me a nit is super worrying tho.
  • edited September 2010

Just a few tentative thoughts for you mate, as you know I'm no cash player.

I think it's good advice you've been given about looking at why you raised pre. As it is you can answer that question, I think, simply by saying you've got a decent hand 6 handed, you're in good position really (you did buy the button) and you're isolating the limper. No problems there I don't think. The villain has become involved, c'est la vie.

To the flop then. You've been advised by a very good cash player to call and re-evaluate on the turn. This is because you're in position and like I say the advice has come from a very good player. However, your hand, really, is horrible isn't it? (apart from the gut shot straight flush draw of course). I fully agree with what you said about there being no turn cards you like and as such, facing a pot bet with little info, I instantly fold here. However I am a nit and apart from folding, I think your only other option is to re-raise/fold here. If he doesn't fold to your reraise then I would shut down. Of course if he flats and checks the turn, perhaps you need to fire (?) but this is where I am getting out of my depth I am afraid, sorry.

Just as a final point, something I have done in the past is give people too much credit when moving up levels and I don't think for a minute that you won't be beating this level comfortably pretty soon. I'm not saying your doing this here or playing more timid than your natural style but it is worth asking yourself the question. What would you have done against a relative unknown at nl30 in exatly the same spot? My gut is that you would have raised the villain who dared donk bet into you and my gut is also that if that's correct, perhaps that's what you should continue to do at nl50, at least against unknowns until you get reads. Play your natural game mate!

JC

• ACAACA
    edited September 2010
    Just a few tentative thoughts for you mate, as you know I'm no cash player. I think it's good advice you've been given about looking at why you raised pre. As it is you can answer that question, I think, simply by saying you've got a decent hand 6 handed, you're in good position really (you did buy the button) and you're isolating the limper. No problems there I don't think. The villain has become involved, c'est la vie. To the flop then. You've been advised by a very good cash player to call and re-evaluate on the turn. This is because you're in position and like I say the advice has come from a very good player. However, your hand, really, is horrible isn't it? (apart from the gut shot straight flush draw of course). I fully agree with what you said about there being no turn cards you like and as such, facing a pot bet with little info, I instantly fold here. However I am a nit and apart from folding, I think your only other option is to re-raise/fold here. If he doesn't fold to your reraise then I would shut down. Of course if he flats and checks the turn, perhaps you need to fire (?) but this is where I am getting out of my depth I am afraid, sorry. Just as a final point, something I have done in the past is give people too much credit when moving up levels and I don't think for a minute that you won't be beating this level comfortably pretty soon. I'm not saying your doing this here or playing more timid than your natural style but it is worth asking yourself the question. What would you have done against a relative unknown at nl30 in exatly the same spot? My gut is that you would have raised the villain who dared donk bet into you and my gut is also that if that's correct, perhaps that's what you should continue to do at nl50, at least against unknowns until you get reads. Play your natural game mate! JC
    Posted by JohnConnor

I think it's good advice you've been given about looking at why you raised pre. As it is you can answer that question, I think, simply by saying you've got a decent hand 6 handed, you're in good position really (you did buy the button) and you're isolating the limper. No problems there I don't think. The villain has become involved, c'est la vie.

I never have done nor will ever give advise, I'm not good enough (nor is 99% of players on SKY) but the raise pre in this hand makes the pot big , with QQ and 2 callers here I'm worried, never mind 66, If ur willin to bwt 5 x bb pre then u must accept that if u get called the flop will be dangerous and u must be willing to play this, if not a 2.5 to 3 x bb raise wud get the same info without inflating the betting per flop to allow a more valued decision.

• edited September 2010
    dohhhh i dont agree with the raise pre flop, i think low pockets are very good trapping cards! you limp with these and hit trips u win a massive pot!! However in these circumstances it looks like he has an overpair and wants every1 out because of the straighty flop and he knows theres a chance some1 cud have an ace 4 suited or two diamonds.
    I would put him on an overpair here and fold, or shove and hope he has Ace 5 or just ace high. But if he has two diamonds a four or an overpair ur going to be putting ur stack in!

I wouldnt of raised so much pre but if i had i would of folded after that bet, unless i was playing you then i would shove lol
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    Just never limp.

We raise preflop to:

disguise the strength of our hand
    get value from our best starting hands
    allow us to get people to fold better hands on boards that hit our perceived range
    allow us to get a free card (especially when in position as people will often check to the preflop raiser)
    build the pot for when we do hit
    play for bigger pots against weaker opponents
    take the blinds down uncontested
    be able to put opponents on a narrower range of hands

and I'm sure you can think of other reasons too. And I would be making it 4x minimum here, I think 5x is fine though with a limper already and you not being in great position. ACA making it 2.5x is pointless because we are still going to go to a flop multiway, and we're not raising preflop 'to find out if our sixes are good'. Also you should be keeping your raise sizes constant so your raise size here should be the same as if you had aces.

• edited September 2010

I just make any raise 4xbb + 1 per limper....is that old school or something?

I was reading 2+2 forum yesterday and Harvey said he makes it 2x from the button with 100% of his playable range.

Whats that all about? Maybe I need to try these sort of things out.

Also need to start floppin sets again, haven't had one for ages. 

JC! - Im really not sure what I would have done at nl30. Ur right I know all the regs/donks inside out at that level, so Id have a good idea where I was, and what to do. The villain in the hand above Ive never seen before.

Maybe the money does effect me, but an 8 quid bet when I have a 5 figure bankroll realllllyyyyy shouldn't.

Just need 1 winning session at this level and I'll be away I reckon, I used to play it all the time and do well, back in the bigshann/offshoot nl50 days. 

Ill get there, thanx for replies.
  • edited September 2010
    we're getting off topic....back to dohhh vs beaneh

seriously dohhh do u really think ur that good and can always make the right decision? if so why are u posting for advice?
  • edited September 2010
    No Im not that good, nowhere near.

The idea is to get as close to 100% decisions right as possible, so posting hands and situations may help me get closer to that 100% figure.

I never brag about being "that good" anymore, I admit my weak points and try and fix them. Any time I face criticism or be told to move down to nl4 to avoi being crushed (when its me who's been doing the crushing), I defend myself by using facts, and they are of course, my results, which I shall say again, are all that matter.

Canny argue with fact fella.

What wud u do in this hand lynx? - U wud fold wudnt u!!!! I know u wud!
  • edited September 2010
    never folding that flop, cos i only ever made a few straight flushes lol :P

folding is too tight, i think we still have 40% equity in teh hand as i doubt hes donking with nuts/straight so id fancy any straight or diamond to be good.

flatting flop and re-evaluate turn is best, if he pots again and we miss its obv a fold unless u have epic reads he wud do this with AdX....if he is a barrel monkey and u hit turn just let him stack off

• edited September 2010
    I have just read this thread + 1 its quality love the beanh vs dohhhhh confrontations

on the actual hand i would be calling and re-assess, although dont think folding is bad as JJ has stated that most turn/rivers are probably bad but personally could have overs like KQ and be making the move so i would call on basis i am ahead at the mo then see what comes on the turn and how he playes it
  • edited September 2010
    Stop telling him the answers yb if he doesn't know any of them lol, leave him to click buttons.
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    lol

loving the fred pic!!!

(its finally been approved)
  • edited September 2010
    lol loving the fred pic!!! (its finally been approved)
    Posted by yb

Finally!!!!!! I was waiting so long, love that pic lol
  • edited September 2010
    i agree with beaneh if his loose donk like you say he is  get money in onthe flop  got an over pair  flush draw  gut shot str8 flush  draw plus chance hitting a set  ffs dohhhh how many ous do u  want
  • edited September 2010

I had 1 clean out....
  • edited September 2010
    Given that you have raised pr-flop and m8y boy has called:

What cards can we put him on pre-flop?
    What cards were you hoping to see on the flop?
    What cards is m8y boy putting us on here?

If m8y boy put you on AK or Pocket Pair etc pre-flop, he knows you are not going to like this flop and ultimately represents the flopped flush to try and take it down here and now.

If we are not going to call here with this type of flop, why would we raise pr-flop in the first place?

I'm calling here to see what m8y boy does next. If I don't improve my hand and get an aggro bet on the turn i'm folding.
  • edited September 2010
    as u found out dohhhh higher level your playing  is not abc poker get the money in
  • edited September 2010
    I had 1 clean out....
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

lol
  • edited September 2010
  • edited September 2010
    Me personally would flat call putting him on a high diamond, if the turn card is not a diamond i would be commited there and then, thats just me, would probs lose my money but this is about what everyone would do.

I could go all in on the flop but chances are they wont fold with two other cards and a  high diamond