You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cricket

edited September 2010 in The Shed
I'm not a big follower of cricket, never have, infact i would go as far to say as i know next to nothing about it.

Iv'e just always wondered why the bowler always gets all the credit when the fielder catches the ball?

Comments

• edited September 2010

lol!! 

That is a harder question to answer than "explain the offside rule"

Pretty impossible to explain to a total newbie....

OnlyoneCT?????
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Cricket:
    I'm not a big follower of cricket, never have, infact i would go as far to say as i know next to nothing about it. Iv'e just always wondered why the bowler always gets all the credit when the fielder catches the ball?
    Posted by Gavinxxxx
    Its the bowler skill...in forcing a mistake from the batsman! However...when a fielder catches a ball thats rifled at him at a zillion miles an hour...or he takes acatch on the boundry line over his head with 1 hand...or a huge dive and plucks the ball out of the air! THEN the fielder gets the credit! Just watch the bowler reaction to the fielder when he knows hes bowled a bad dilivery!
  • edited September 2010

Wow u actually did it quite easily 

"because the bowler forces the error from the batsman" - That wud have done it.

I feel abit of a plonker now.
  • edited September 2010
    well they both get the credit on the scorecard.

as it will say caught by x bowled by x

by the way aren't england doing well crushing the cheating pakistan team!!!!
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Cricket:
    Wow u actually did it quite easily  "because the bowler forces the error from the batsman" - That wud have done it. I feel abit of a plonker now.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    plonker
  • edited September 2010
    well they both get the credit on the scorecard. as it will say caught by x bowled by x by the way aren't england doing well crushing the cheating pakistan team!!!!
    Posted by donkeyplop
    the 1/2 i got on England yesterday may well have been the best price ever
  • edited September 2010
    sure was!!

pakistan are a shambles right now!! :)

and england are actually quite good at cricket again!!!!!!!
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Cricket:
    I'm not a big follower of cricket, never have, infact i would go as far to say as i know next to nothing about it. Iv'e just always wondered why the bowler always gets all the credit when the fielder catches the ball?
    Posted by Gavinxxxx
    Further to answers already given - To make a football analogy, think of the fielder/catch as a midfielder/assist and the bowler/wicket as a striker/goal.

In football therefore, sometimes the assist is amazing and the goal merely a tap-in and sometimes the assist is simple and the goal strike/finish is superb - or both could be equally good.

Same in cricket - sometimes it's the bowler's skill giving the fielder an easy catch, sometimes it's an amazing catch from a poor/ordinary ball - and sometimes both are equally good.

However, as DonkeyPlop already said, at least in cricket they do put the fielder's name on the scoreboard so he does get some credit, while in football the assist gets no credit at all on the scoreboard.

• edited September 2010

Long Hop caught at cow corner ftw ;)

• edited September 2010
    lol!!  That is a harder question to answer than "explain the offside rule" Pretty impossible to explain to a total newbie.... OnlyoneCT?????
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    What have i done wrong now? lol!.....
  • edited September 2010
    This takes me back to my school cricket matches, (i was also the schools goalkeeper) so i was put in the slip fielding position by MR DAVIES (every school had a 6ft 6in welsh sports teacher then) cos of my relexes & reaction speed, anyway we had a good bowler who could put the ball where ever he wanted, all im gonna say is that over the 2 seasons of cricket we broke every one of our school records for wickets taken, he would bowl them in the right area & i would catch them,(through fear of mr davies if i dropped one) we wasnt a bad batting pair either, together we broke the highest partnership record for the school(but i digress), so it aint all about the bowler us people in the fireing line deserve some credit too, (aswell as the MR DAVIES of this world). This country needs more MR DAVIES.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Cricket:
    Posted by Gavinxxxx
    It's a very interesting point that you have made for which there will be so many differing arguments on who gets the most credit when a wicket has fallen via a catch from the fielder!.

My view from watching a lot of cricket over 20+ years is that usually senior bowlers in a team will be more tactically aware when they get wickets and will take a lot of credit for what fields they have asked their Captain to set. Usually the Captain will want to hog the limelight but i've found they are very few captains apart from the likes of Ricky Ponting,Andrew Strauss or even Mike Brearley in cricket both at county or international level nowadays that i would find as tactically awesome.

I have to go back 11 years since my beloved Lancashire won anything decent (Dont laugh JJ lol!) and when the legend that is Wasim Akram was Lancashire Captain. In his short tenure as Captain he was widely regarded as probably the best tactically aware Captain at the club since Jack Bond in the 1970's and talk about a guy who played to win every match!!.

It would certainly be interesting to hear Gidzo's opinions on this subject.

• edited September 2010

Haha, sorry dude, Its that flip floppin weather int it  !!!! Ur never gonna win owt till it stops raining !!

You guys could do us a big favour and put 1 over on Somerset this week, even tho u GIFTED Notts a win the other week.

Realllyyyy nervous about Notts come back against us, surely we can't bowl em out for under 60 and still fail to win......sigh. Gr8 finish to the season though.

On a side note, just wanna apologise for that horrific beat I stuck on you the other night.....I had chat off throughout the whole tournament, I always do in "big games" - So I couldn't say anything at the time. I was then gonna PM you afterwards, but I thought as Im on such a high, my pm might come across as abit arrogant, and then I thought I'd just leave it......but in context, with it being the biggest tourny on sky, and considering how crushed I was, It was probably the sickest beat I've ever stuck on anyone, u completely outplayed me with the "over-shove"  - I convinced myself you wouldn't do that with AA or KK, and accepted I was probably racing......

The rest is history.

Anyway, I can imagine it stung pretty bad, it wud have killed me for weeks....

You'll dodge the bullets nxt time and go deep, seen u alot on TV tournys over the last 6 weeks, u got a super agro game! Hope u get a score soon dude, and also that Lancs, and Keggsy can turn it on over the next couple of days and topple the cider-men!
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Cricket : It's a very interesting point that you have made for which there will be so many differing arguments on who gets the most credit when a wicket has fallen via a catch from the fielder!. My view from watching a lot of cricket over 20+ years is that usually senior bowlers in a team will be more tactically aware when they get wickets and will take a lot of credit for what fields they have asked their Captain to set. Usually the Captain will want to hog the limelight but i've found they are very few captains apart from the likes of Ricky Ponting,Andrew Strauss or even Mike Brearley in cricket both at county or international level nowadays that i would find as tactically awesome. I have to go back 11 years since my beloved Lancashire won anything decent (Dont laugh JJ lol!) and when the legend that is Wasim Akram was Lancashire Captain. In his short tenure as Captain he was widely regarded as probably the best tactically aware Captain at the club since Jack Bond in the 1970's and talk about a guy who played to win every match!!. It would certainly be interesting to hear Gidzo's opinions on this subject.
    Posted by OnlyOneCT
    Lol, are you sure?

He's nothing as a captain without decent players. To be fair, Andrew Strauss is nothing special either (tactically). Michael Vaughan and Mike Brearley (from what I've heard) in a different class to them as natural thinkers of the game in play. Shane Warne the best Aussie captain of the last 20 years (but never given it due to his persona and lifestyle). Stephen Fleming, Imran Khan and Ranatunga all up there too.
  • edited September 2010

Nasser "we'll have a bowl" Hussain ???
  • edited September 2010
    your all missing the point, me & my mate was the f##king b####x haha.
  • edited September 2010
    Nasser "we'll have a bowl" Hussain ???
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Legend. 8- />
  • edited September 2010
    Haha, sorry dude, Its that flip floppin weather int it  !!!! Ur never gonna win owt till it stops raining !! You guys could do us a big favour and put 1 over on Somerset this week, even tho u GIFTED Notts a win the other week. Realllyyyy nervous about Notts come back against us, surely we can't bowl em out for under 60 and still fail to win......sigh. Gr8 finish to the season though. On a side note, just wanna apologise for that horrific beat I stuck on you the other night.....I had chat off throughout the whole tournament, I always do in "big games" - So I couldn't say anything at the time. I was then gonna PM you afterwards, but I thought as Im on such a high, my pm might come across as abit arrogant, and then I thought I'd just leave it......but in context, with it being the biggest tourny on sky, and considering how crushed I was, It was probably the sickest beat I've ever stuck on anyone, u completely outplayed me with the "over-shove"  - I convinced myself you wouldn't do that with AA or KK, and accepted I was probably racing...... The rest is history. Anyway, I can imagine it stung pretty bad, it wud have killed me for weeks.... You'll dodge the bullets nxt time and go deep, seen u alot on TV tournys over the last 6 weeks, u got a super agro game! Hope u get a score soon dude, and also that Lancs, and Keggsy can turn it on over the next couple of days and topple the cider-men!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Remember Yorkshire could still win the double as they are in the CB40 Semi-Final on Saturday up at Scarborough against Warwickshire and ill say this get Neil Carter out early when Warwickshire bat then Yorkshire will walk that game!

I said at the start the season always be wary of Yorkshire because for me they have most consistent batting line up in the country and what a battle for the best spin twins in county cricket (Rashid and Rafiq for Yorks vs Keedy/Parry or Kerrigan for Lancs).

If Notts win at Trent Bridge against Yorkshire it will be without doubt the comeback of all comeback and a case of what could have been (If Notts set more than 270 for Yorks to chase it is gonna be a nail-biter!). Sadly yet again we have let another side of the hook where we could have had a vital 50 run lead but its going to be a superb finish to the county season rest assured.

Regarding the £8k Doublestack, what you have wrote just shows you what a serious top fella you are and i seriously do respect you highly for your kind words cos it certainly means a lot and i am in no doubt you are probably one of the finest cash game players i have EVER seen online full stop and if Total Player returns without doubt you have to be one of the favourites to win it. I went into that Doublestack highly nervous and when i saw who i had on my table i just thought "TAXI FOR CT LOL!!!". I believe to be the best you have to play the best and i was very proud of how played that night as i didnt put a foot wrong and i honestly thought i could have won it but then we had the vital pot of the night that didnt go my way but many congrats on getting 2nd in the double stack and i'm sure your game will go on from strength to strength and i hope it does!!

I know i have been a right bar steward on the tables this week and i apologise to anyone that has been on the receiving end of some of my rubdowns. I'm not a nasty person, its just my competitive streak does get the better of me at times and i am soooooooo frustrated with things not going my way at the minute and i really do want to win SPT Nottingham just to prove to myself that i can take down big events like this and hopefully not do what i did at SPT Manchester and squander a massive chip lead on that final table!.

All the best fella!

Craig

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Cricket : Lol, are you sure? He's nothing as a captain without decent players. To be fair, Andrew Strauss is nothing special either (tactically). Michael Vaughan and Mike Brearley (from what I've heard) in a different class to them as natural thinkers of the game in play. Shane Warne the best Aussie captain of the last 20 years (but never given it due to his persona and lifestyle). Stephen Fleming, Imran Khan and Ranatunga all up there too.
    Posted by JingleMa

I suppose you have a point regarding Ponting as i was mainly highlighting that game i think 2 years ago vs India where the Aussies sort of luckboxed their way to victory by taking the extra 30 mins by getting the remaining wickets with an aggressive field.

Warney was a super captain for Hampshire and was the lynchpin for all the success the side have had in the last few years. Stephen Fleming is also another great captain but am i on my own by saying how dull i thought New Zealand were in Test Cricket during the 90's?.
  • edited September 2010

Excuse me for interupting your little tat e ta, but this thread was about who gets the credit for the wickets, bowlers or fielders.

MR DAVIES FOR THE WIN.

• edited September 2010
    Thanks for the replys guys... one thing i dont get though, some people say that the bowler sometimes gets the credit for making the batsman make a mistake (i.e bat it straight to a fielder) but IMO if the batsman gets the chance to bat it then the bowler hasn't done his job right, right ? 

• edited September 2010
    Thanks for the replys guys... one thing i dont get though, some people say that the bowler sometimes gets the credit for making the batsman make a mistake (i.e bat it straight to a fielder) but IMO if the batsman gets the chance to bat it then the bowler hasn't done his job right, right ? 
    Posted by Gavinxxxx
    Arnt you forgetting that a proffesional bowler is bowling to a PROFFESIONAL BATSMAN ......dopey!
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Cricket : Arnt you forgetting that a proffesional bowler is bowling to a PROFFESIONAL BATSMAN ......dopey!
    Posted by FR4NK
    Yes i do no that..... DopeyDora !
  • edited September 2010
    Crickett is an extremely ancient past time that has outlived its years in my book, i'd never entertain the thought of watching cricket unless I was in a coma
  • edited September 2010
    Crickett is an extremely ancient past time that has outlived its years in my book, i'd never entertain the thought of watching cricket unless I was in a coma
    Posted by MadHorse
    Then when you saw the tread ....cricket....why did you bother to comment...i dont suppose any of us are bothered that you dont like cricket!.....Dont waste paper and ink ....or are you not echo friendly!!!!!
  • edited September 2010
    You guys could do us a big favour and put 1 over on Somerset this week, even tho u GIFTED Notts a win the other week.

Hope u get a score soon dude, and also that Lancs, and Keggsy can turn it on over the next couple of days and topple the cider-men!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    No chance! Cidermen need a whole 38 runs to win. C'mon
  • edited September 2010

Yeh, Yorks have seen off the Nott's come-back.....what an end to the season it's gonna be !!!
  • edited September 2010
    Lancs vs Notts

Yorkshire vs Kent

Somerset vs whoever haha lol!!

That 2nd innnings display by Lancashire against Somerset just about sums how bad the season has been and our batting has to simply improve.

I am going to make a prediction for the 2011 season: on and off the field, one of the south coast counties will struggle big style if certain rumours i've heard come to fruition!!

Do not ask me to call who will win the championship because it needs one bad day from either of the top 3 to knock themselves completly out of the running. It's certainly Nottinghamshire's title to lose and Yorkshire's to win but Somerset could easily nick it and on a financial scale of things probably Yorkshire need to win it more in my opinion!.
  • edited September 2010
    Well on paper Yorkshire should beat Kent. But Kent are fighting against relegation, so it'll be tough for the Tykes. Hopefully Lancs can do the boys a favour and play well over all 4 innings to prevent Notts winning. Somerset at Durham, difficult to call. Not going to matter anyway because rain will force all the games to be drawn and Notts win by default.
  • edited September 2010

Nooooooooooooo !!! U know the forecast Ian????

Lancs v Notts on sky....great sport to watch while grinding next week.

Also, talking of live sport, Donny v Leeds on Sky Sports next friday night.....If u aint got sky, get to a mates who has, gonna be a belting game!!! Bring it onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn