You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games!

edited September 2010 in Poker Chat

Hi All..

Ante's in cash games, yes... Sky needs them :)

I think sky should seriously look into it.... Iv been a regular on sky for about a yr now. Since then Iv noticed an increase of players just nitting it up from 30nl-100nl (especially @ 50nl)

I feel introducing tables with ante's will add another dimension to the game. In turn make a better and overall more enjoyble game for everyone! Not to mention the spike in profit margines.

What are your views on this?

And who would I have to talk to about this to find out if sky would look into this?!

Peace....... Pay off Wizard

Comments

• edited September 2010
    + bout tree fiddy
  • edited September 2010

Hi Wiza,

As I explained in my reply to your PM (which exactly mirrored your Post above) Antes are not applicable to Cash Games, here or anywhere else, nor will they ever be. Running Antes only apply to Tournaments, & only certain Tournaments at that.

I'm not entirely sure what problem you are trying to solve, to be honest. If players "nitting up" troubles you, just increase your pre-flop aggression.
  • edited September 2010

This made me laugh !

Wiza is the biggest nit in the world !!!   :)

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games!:
    Hi Wiza, As I explained in my reply to your PM (which exactly mirrored your Post above) Antes are not applicable to Cash Games, here or anywhere else, nor will they ever be. Running Antes only apply to Tournaments, & only certain Tournaments at that. I'm not entirely sure what problem you are trying to solve, to be honest. If players "nitting up" troubles you, just increase your pre-flop aggression.
    Posted by Tikay10
    There are ante tables on some other sites. I've heard the future of poker is ante cash tables then PLO. I think that came from dwan in an interview in one of the durrrr challenge interviews with him.
  • edited September 2010
    Dwan talks about his wish for ante games in the future:

He got his wish, but I don't think the tables are very popular yet.
  • edited September 2010
    Dwan talks about his wish for ante games in the future: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYsPBXnb5sM He got his wish, but I don't think the tables are very popular yet.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    I wonder why......

I was not aware of that, & can't really fathom how it's gonna be sustainable for regular players, all things considered.

Why on earth would they want it? If NLH does not hve sufficient buzz or action, they should try a game with more subtlety - say Pot Limit Hold Em, or Omaha.  
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games!:
    Hi All.. Ante's in cash games, yes... Sky needs them :) I think sky should seriously look into it.... Iv been a regular on sky for about a yr now. Since then Iv noticed an increase of players just nitting it up from 30nl-100nl (especially @ 50nl) I feel introducing tables with ante's will add another dimension to the game. In turn make a better and overall more enjoyble game for everyone! Not to mention the spike in profit margines. What are your views on this? And who would I have to talk to about this to find out if sky would look into this?! Peace....... Pay off Wizard
    Posted by PayOffWiza
    And where was my name check Wiza?? I'm not angry just dissapointed.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games! : I wonder why...... I was not aware of that, & can't really fathom how it's gonna be sustainable for regular players, all things considered. Why on earth would they want it? If NLH does not hve sufficient buzz or action, they should try a game with more subtlety - say Pot Limit Hold Em, or Omaha.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Lol not for me personally I would rather just nit it up. I guess the high stakes players always want more and more action and the rest of the poker world follows, hence the PLO boom. The low stakes NLH ante games are generally empty tables though from what I've seen.
  • edited September 2010
    This made me laugh ! Wiza is the biggest nit in the world !!!   :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    LOL! difference in being a nit and playing abc my friend...

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games! : And where was my name check Wiza?? I'm not angry just dissapointed.
    Posted by kirstii
    My Apologise Kirstii... I should of mentioned it was your suggestion to post my (and apparently dwans) ante idea to the sky forum. Probably best as the idea doesnt seem to be going down well!
  • edited September 2010
    Hi Wiza, As I explained in my reply to your PM (which exactly mirrored your Post above) Antes are not applicable to Cash Games, here or anywhere else, nor will they ever be. Running Antes only apply to Tournaments, & only certain Tournaments at that. I'm not entirely sure what problem you are trying to solve, to be honest. If players "nitting up" troubles you, just increase your pre-flop aggression.
    Posted by Tikay10

Thanks for your reply Tikay.

No, there is no real problem im trying to solve. Merely suggesting a little something extra to the game, more incentive if you will.

I see you clearly strongly against the concept which is fine, your entilted to your opinion. But I would be intrested to see what new type of action it may create if a few of these table were dotted around 10nl-200nl.

I mean, how can we actually know if its not going to work if we simply discard the concept just because 'it has not been applicable to Cash Game poker in the past'.... thats just my opinion on the matter...

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games! : Thanks for your reply Tikay. No, there is no real problem im trying to solve. Merely suggesting a little something extra to the game, more incentive if you will. I see you clearly strongly against the concept which is fine, your entilted to your opinion. But I would be intrested to see what new type of action it may create if a few of these table were dotted around 10nl-200nl. I mean, how can we actually know if its not going to work if we simply discard the concept just because 'it has not been applicable to Cash Game poker in the past'.... thats just my opinion on the matter...
    Posted by PayOffWiza
    Absolutely, & a very fine opinion it is. I happen to hold the opposite view, that's all.

Don't forget, the vast majority of Cash Action on Sky Poker is 6 max, too, which by it's very nature, generates more action, & requires more frequent (50% more?) Posting of blinds than 9 or 10 Seaters.

"More incentive" if there are RA's? Have you ever watched lJAMESl, Lolufold, Dohhh, TheGibb, CoxyLBoro - they don't need "incentive", they just raise!

• edited September 2010
    terrible idea, why would anyone willingly post antes in a ring game when they dont have to? to gurantee them action i dont think its necessary really

back to the drawing board wiza
  • edited September 2010
    errrr poker has forced bets

antes are a slightly different structure of forced bets, they are fun and stop people from being able to sit and fold too much.

each to their own.
  • edited September 2010
    i dont know why people who struggle at a certain level/style of game want to change the rules all of a sudden? "i dont like sit outs,i dont like nits"

if you cant beat them within the current rules move down a level?

(there, i said it for you tk.........)
  • edited September 2010
    i dont know why people who struggle at a certain level/style of game want to change the rules all of a sudden? "i dont like sit outs,i dont like nits" if you cant beat them within the current rules move down a level? (there, i said it for you tk.........)
    Posted by DAVEYZZ

Just to reilliterate myself... "I think a cash game with ante's would add a different dimension to the game. I think it would be something new, fun and different aspect of the game. I would love to see sky put a few tables up and see how it develops. What is the sky poker communities opinions on this?."

This is basically what iv said in a nutshell!!

Not anywhere have I said or intentionally implyed 'Im having problems at my stakes so i want to change the rules. I want ante cash games because I hate nits or hate people who sit out'.

It seems that most people implying 'the problem is my poker game and having an ante cash game isnt going to make any difference'. Which is Totally off the point!

DAVEYZZ, you know nothing about me or my poker game. So if you cant say anything constructive or at least respectful to this thread, Id rather you stay out.

Thanks

• edited September 2010
    oooooooooo handbags! as you say your entitled to your opinion but as are we and i think your idea sucks and will never take off but not me who makes the decisions

Good Luck
    John
  • edited September 2010

I didn't give an opinion on the idea, I think it wud be kool, and fun, providing the table isn't always full of good regular players at each level.

Most cash games below nl50 have 2/3 limpers minimum before the action gets to the blinds, so there's always sorta ded money in the pot anyway.

If the tables were brought in, I would play them...............But only if the table looks soft.

Wouldn't go out of my way to play on it otherwise.
  • edited September 2010
    oooooooooo handbags! as you say your entitled to your opinion but as are we and i think your idea sucks and will never take off but not me who makes the decisions Good Luck John
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    No handbags lol... yeah your defo right about it never taking off! might start a new discussion on sky introducing voluntary straddles =P
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games! : Just to reilliterate myself... "I think a cash game with ante's would add a different dimension to the game. I think it would be something new, fun and different aspect of the game. I would love to see sky put a few tables up and see how it develops. What is the sky poker communities opinions on this?." This is basically what iv said in a nutshell!! Not anywhere have I said or intentionally implyed 'Im having problems at my stakes so i want to change the rules. I want ante cash games because I hate nits or hate people who sit out'. It seems that most people implying 'the problem is my poker game and having an ante cash game isnt going to make any difference'. Which is Totally off the point! DAVEYZZ , you know nothing about me or my poker game. So if you cant say anything constructive or at least respectful to this thread, Id rather you stay out. Thanks  
    Posted by PayOffWiza
    I trust I'm excluded from that?

You wrote me a PM, I answered it promptly, & then you repeated the PM, word for word, in a Forum Post, so I replied to that, too. You asked a question, I answered it!

With due respect, it's a Forum, & if you post views & opinions, & invite replies, you will get exactly that. It's highly unlikely that all of them will agree with you though, is it?

It'd be kinda nice if we could keep the thread civil, too, & DaveyZZ has every right to voice an opinion, just as you & I have. 
  • edited September 2010
    If you want to spice it up have a table where you can play the 7-2 game
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games!:
    Hi All.. Ante's in cash games, yes... Sky needs them :) I think sky should seriously look into it.... Iv been a regular on sky for about a yr now. Since then Iv noticed an increase of players just nitting it up from 30nl-100nl (especially @ 50nl) I feel introducing tables with ante's will add another dimension to the game. In turn make a better and overall more enjoyble game for everyone! Not to mention the spike in profit margines. What are your views on this? And who would I have to talk to about this to find out if sky would look into this?! Peace....... Pay off Wizard
    Posted by PayOffWiza
    oops didnt mean to offend...but the comment of players nitting it up,made me think you were being negative about a certain style of play?.
    i just dont see the need of changing the rules of cash nlh to include ante's if you want bigger pots/more action there are plenty of players playing at £1-£2 who are always willing to accommodate...

cheers,dave
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games! : I trust I'm excluded from that? You wrote me a PM, I answered it promptly, & then you repeated the PM, word for word, in a Forum Post, so I replied to that, too. You asked a question, I answered it! With due respect, it's a Forum, & if you post views & opinions, & invite replies, you will get exactly that. It's highly unlikely that all of them will agree with you though, is it? It'd be kinda nice if we could keep the thread civil, too, & DaveyZZ has every right to voice an opinion, just as you & I have. 
    Posted by Tikay10
    apologies to you tk as well,my answer was slightly tongue in cheek,but i dont presume to know what you were thinking......dave
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games! : apologies to you tk as well,my answer was slightly tongue in cheek,but i dont presume to know what you were thinking......dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Not necessary Dave (the apology), I know you well enough to know it was tongue-in-cheek.

And you know I'm a Nit, always have been, always will be, & remarkable as it may seem, I'm not in the least embarrassed about it. It works for me, so it won't be changing any time soon, & I'll continue to do what I've always done - enter pots on my Terms, when it suits me, & not according to current fashion. 
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games! : Just to reilliterate myself... "I think a cash game with ante's would add a different dimension to the game. I think it would be something new, fun and different aspect of the game. I would love to see sky put a few tables up and see how it develops. What is the sky poker communities opinions on this?." This is basically what iv said in a nutshell!! Not anywhere have I said or intentionally implyed 'Im having problems at my stakes so i want to change the rules. I want ante cash games because I hate nits or hate people who sit out'. It seems that most people implying 'the problem is my poker game and having an ante cash game isnt going to make any difference'. Which is Totally off the point! DAVEYZZ , you know nothing about me or my poker game. So if you cant say anything constructive or at least respectful to this thread, Id rather you stay out. Thanks  
    Posted by PayOffWiza

We know something about you and our poker game,  You hate nits.  Being a Nit, or a tight player, or a Rock whatever you want to call that playing style is a perfectly acceptable way of playing the game.  

There are some extremely successful "Nits" out there, but because you don't like that playing style you want to change the make up of the game to make it more difficult for that playing style to succeed.  The beauty of this game is it can be played in an almost infinite number of ways,  changing it to reduce the number of styles that can play it would weaken the beauty of the game.....  in my opinion 

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games! : And where was my name check Wiza?? I'm not angry just dissapointed.
    Posted by kirstii
    That would be disappointed Kirstii.
  • edited September 2010
    jockBMW you might want to reread his posts, that section is in quote marks of what he HAS NOT said.

basically antes mean more postflop play which is fun for me. it also means more rake for sky if more flops are seen which is fun for sky.

if you watch most of the high stakes cash games on TV  PAD / HSP to name a couple all have antes involved so its clearly not just a tournament thing

if people prefer playing w/o antes so they dont have to start playing more marginal hands that is fine, they obv dont have to sit at the tables, all the OP is saying is add 1 or 2 tables per stakes with antes included and see how it goes
  • edited September 2010
    jockBMW you might want to reread his posts, that section is in quote marks of what he HAS NOT said. basically antes mean more postflop play which is fun for me. it also means more rake for sky if more flops are seen which is fun for sky. if you watch most of the high stakes cash games on TV  PAD / HSP to name a couple all have antes involved so its clearly not just a tournament thing if people prefer playing w/o antes so they dont have to start playing more marginal hands that is fine, they obv dont have to sit at the tables, all the OP is saying is add 1 or 2 tables per stakes with antes included and see how it goes
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    I was about to say that most of the high stakes cash games have antes (as seen on TV).

In 'The Big Game' (six-max NLHE cash show, aired on Fox in the US), the blinds are $200/$400 with a $100 ante - which is always posted by the button.  So, the player in the best position at the table always has $600 invested in the pot.  This creates a very interesting dynamic!

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games! : I was about to say that most of the high stakes cash games have antes (as seen on TV). In 'The Big Game' (six-max NLHE cash show, aired on Fox in the US), the blinds are $200/$400 with a $100 ante - which is always posted by the button.  So, the player in the best position at the table always has $600 invested in the pot.  This creates a very interesting dynamic!
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Dont encourage him James, no-one would want to pay antes when you dont have to unless you get alot of fish on the table which i doubt it!
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games! : Dont encourage him James, no-one would want to pay antes when you dont have to unless you get alot of fish on the table which i doubt it!
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    I have to say...

I think it would be interesting to see a mid-stakes cash table with antes and/or the ability to straddle.  The action junkies would love it!