You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games!

2»

Comments

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games!:
    In Response to Re: Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games! : Dont encourage him James, no-one would want to pay antes when you dont have to unless you get alot of fish on the table which i doubt it!
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Im not sure about this - if every table had forced antes, do you think people wud stop playing?  I don't....

....blinds are antes arent they?

Imagine a cash game without blinds......

Ugh I know some people that would love it, which makes me hate the idea even more.

Maybe this is just the next step to keep the game moving forward.
  • edited September 2010
    Thats the thing JJ, you have blinds in NLH therefore especially 6 handed its not worth having antes. If they had ante only tables i think less people would play unless it was instead of rake which is a totally different matter

It would be interesting if you had the odd table maybe but dont think it would be popular, as for cash game without blinds that probably would be more but would be dull to say the least lol
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    Antes ftw.

I've never played a cash game with them but think its a great idea to try out on a couple of tables. Imagine playing on a table full of nits then!! :)
  • edited September 2010
    Surely Nits shouldnt bother you tooo much, same as loose players you just adapt? i tend to play nitish sometimes and then loose others whatever suits or whatever the mood so to speak
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    And playing a cash game without any forced bets would be more that just boring lol. People would just never play any hand other than aces because they'd be no incentive to do otherwise.
  • edited September 2010
    But aces lose all the time? darn it all my folding aces pre flop is wrong!
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    Surely Nits shouldnt bother you tooo much, same as loose players you just adapt? i tend to play nitish sometimes and then loose others whatever suits or whatever the mood so to speak
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    You can adapt but its just so boring. I'd take a table full of maniacs any day!
  • edited September 2010
    Thats the thing JJ, you have blinds in NLH therefore especially 6 handed its not worth having antes. If they had ante only tables i think less people would play unless it was instead of rake which is a totally different matter It would be interesting if you had the odd table maybe but dont think it would be popular, as for cash game without blinds that probably would be more but would be dull to say the least lol
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

cash games without blinds would be ridic, cash games with antes are excellent fun!!!
  • edited September 2010

Im surprised the nits aint contributed here in favour of antes.

Surely the looser a table is playing, the more effective their style of play will be.

• ybyb
    edited September 2010
    Im surprised the nits aint contributed here in favour of antes. Surely the looser a table is playing, the more effective their style of play will be.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I don't think so, if they still only play a very narrow range of hands then surely they wouldn't make enough money from these hands to cover the cost of posting the blinds/antes together? If you have a table of good LAGs and 'good' nits then the antes would deffo favour the LAGs as players have to play a wider range!
  • edited September 2010
    anything that will be -ev for reg nit grinders gets a thumbsup from me :)

i play ante games on other sites now and then and they are fun

and to this can we have a deepstack compulsary straddle FR table plzzz tyvm
  • edited September 2010

Don't tight players prefer loose tables though? That was my point.....

What they lose in ante's they shud make back playing nitty against 4/5 LAG players?
  • edited September 2010
    im against the idea personally,but if they were introduced it i dont have to play them.
    but then i dont think the "nits" would either.
    i dont know why people dont just raise 3x bb if thet want bigger pots?
  • edited September 2010

3x utg to make small pots big, and 3x utg to make slightly bigger pots bigger, r 2 v different things.

Its all about table dynamics.

I dnt understand how this will upset tight players.......I think they'd do well sat at a table of loose players as long as they are rolled......

Wud like to hear gliterbabes view on it. 

You get players limp calling 5xbb out of position with jacks tens and AK at nl30 though so not sure how well it wud go down there.

• edited September 2010
    Don't tight players prefer loose tables though? That was my point..... What they lose in ante's they shud make back playing nitty against 4/5 LAG players?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    No cos there range is so so narrow they aren't gonna pick up enough pots if they continue with their narrow opening range

if your on multi tabling and playing a large volume getting anted every hand is gonna soon add up

on a 25p/50p table it will be 10p per hand...essentially doubling the blinds
  • edited September 2010

Ok well ofc they wud have to adapt slightly.

Im convinced good tight players would do well providing they pick tables occupied by loose players.

I wud tighten up deffo if the table is going nuts. Speculate to accumulate. Theres always gonna be spots to get the antes back.

• ybyb
    edited September 2010
    im against the idea personally,but if they were introduced it i dont have to play them. but then i dont think the "nits" would either. i dont know why people dont just raise 3x bb if thet want bigger pots?
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    No its not the same thing. Nits can fold to a 3x raise unless they have a hand they like, whereas they can't refuse to ante if they're in play. By increasing the amount in the middle to be won there is a greater incentive to widen your opening range, and it also means that if you fold too much preflop you'll find your stack dwindling quickly.
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    Ok well ofc they wud have to adapt slightly. Im convinced good tight players would do well providing they pick tables occupied by loose players. I wud tighten up deffo if the table is going nuts. Speculate to accumulate. Theres always gonna be spots to get the antes back.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Do you think any half decent LAG is going to pay off a nit every time they have a hand?
  • edited September 2010
    yea i get ya,yb.i still dont like the idea but i think my main gripe was the notion that it will stop the "nits" as if the style of play is a bad thing,and also that it would"improve the enjoyment for everyone"

• edited September 2010
    i was a bit confused when initially reading the thread which basically consisted of:
    "i want ante tables because i enjoy playing on them"
    "i dont want other people to have ante tables because i dont enjoy playing on them"

were not suggesting that all of sky cash is revamped with antes in them (OTOH pls do this!)
    i mean if people want to play tight then obv non ante tables will be alot more profitable for them and it doesnt make sense for them to play w/ antes which is fine.
     its just alot more fun and you get into more tough spots with marginal hands which will eventually make you a better player.

i dont think anyone has said that playing a very nitty style of poker is a bad thing, but it certainly isnt the most profitable way of playing, especially at 6max.

plus it might empty your regular tables of that maniac who is always after your BB!

if sky were to take this seriously auto top up is definately needed for it
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games! : I trust I'm excluded from that? You wrote me a PM, I answered it promptly, & then you repeated the PM, word for word, in a Forum Post, so I replied to that, too. You asked a question, I answered it! With due respect, it's a Forum, & if you post views & opinions, & invite replies, you will get exactly that. It's highly unlikely that all of them will agree with you though, is it? It'd be kinda nice if we could keep the thread civil, too, & DaveyZZ has every right to voice an opinion, just as you & I have. 
    Posted by Tikay10
    DaveyZZ post was directed personally at me, which i felt was disrespectfully, hence my strong reply to him. Of course I dont have a problem with anybody voicing they're opinions... Thats what i would like to know, as long as they're opinions are on the actual subject.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Introduction of Ante's in NLH Cash Games! : oops didnt mean to offend...but the comment of players nitting it up,made me think you were being negative about a certain style of play?. i just dont see the need of changing the rules of cash nlh to include ante's if you want bigger pots/more action there are plenty of players playing at £1-£2 who are always willing to accommodate... cheers,dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    In this instance what i mean by players 'nitting it up' is that there has been a steady increase of rock/super tight players at these stakes...

which can be a bit of a 'boring' grind.... Then the idea sparked in my head if there was more money in the pot it would make some of these so called 'nits' come and play more poker. Give them more 'incentive' to enter pots... The more I thought about it the better the concept seemed.

I see your point when you say 'why not just play higher' but a cash game with ante's would a create a totally new dynamic to just moving up a couple of levels.
  • edited September 2010
    Hi All,

Most people wont be surprised to know that i agree with Tikay, in not wanting antes in cash, but if there is a call for this then i believe it should only be on 10 seater tables and not on 6 max tables.
    I would be interested in hearing the views of some of the big multi-tablers, as i would imagine it would curtail the number of tables you play at any one time(more action=less optimum play).
    I do think the introduction of straddling would bring the online game up to the live game, where it is part of the game.
    Finally, Wisa, if you require more action why not try multi tabling yourself, as this might deflect the bordem factor a bit. Also remember, all players put their hard earned money on the tables and are entitled to play which ever style of play the choose.
    Interesting thread.

col
  • edited September 2010
    Why not have designated ante tables... so player's can choose to play on a table with ante's or on tables without.. simples....